• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,967 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,967

Delictum

Raindrop was still tired when she woke up next. Sunlight was streaming through the window, with the quality she associated with morning. There was the shuffle of quiet movement in the hallway outside her door as nurses went back and forth in their daily duties.

Her jaw hurt where Sentinel had hit her, and she lifted a hoof to gently press against it, wincing slightly. Her tongue slipped to the inside of her cheek on that side, nothing the metallic taste of opened flesh there. His blow had split her lip, and probably bruised her cheek as well. The throbbing pain in her cheek was a constant reminder of the blow.

Reflecting back on the previous night, though, Raindrop decided that she had probably deserved it. She would have never said anything if she knew that two of the guards had died. Her mouth run away again.

Raindrop stretched carefully, extending her hooves, testing her reach. Her shoulder twinged as she reached full extension, reminding her of the wound there.

A nurse entered the room as she was stretching, and opened the window to let in the fresh morning air, before turning to the pegasus and gently laying a hoof on her shoulder. “Relax, Raindrop, I’m going to clean your wound and change your bandages.”

Raindrop nodded, and then stretched out carefully on her side, lifting her foreleg to allow the nurse easy access to the bandaged portion of her body.

“How long will I be out of action?” Raindrop asked, tone tinged with worry.

“A few days at least,” the nurse soothed, gentle hooves beginning to unwrap the bandage. Raindrop sighed faintly in delight as the pressure on her body began to be released, and fresh air hit her clammy flesh.

“The wound isn’t very large, but it went deep, and the shape of the blade made it make quite a mess,” the nurse added, tutting faintly as she unwrapped the last of the bandages, gently peeling the sticky wound covering underneath away from the flesh. “It’s coming along nicely though.”

Raindrop twisted her head to peek at the wound, and then wrinkled her nose deeply. “How big of a scar will I have?”

“It’ll be visible if you know it’s there, but a cursory glance won’t notice it,” the nurse responded, as she threw the covering in the bin and began applying a new one. “You’ll need to put new coverings on this at least once a day, and give it a period of around about a half hour each day to let the wound breath. I’ll give you some ointment to apply as well...but other than that, you’re free to leave whenever you want to.”

“Am I free to fly?” Raindrop asked anxiously, her wings giving a little bit of a quiver. She was concerned about the load-bearing muscles in her chest and shoulders.

“Absolutely not for the first two days,” the nurse stated flatly, as she wound the bandage over the pegasi’s shoulder, cinching it down firmly and then placing the little clasp over the end of the bandage to keep it in place.

“Two days?” Raindrop asked, wrinkling her nose and then sighing, giving a shake of her head, grumbling, “...Setbacks.”

“You aren’t the only one searching, you know,” the nurse said sympathetically.

“You know about what I’m doing?” the pegasus asked, blinking once.

“Raindrop...everyone knows,” the nurse said with a shake of her head. “And the royal guard are off searching for them as well. I think Celestia wanted to keep it on the down-low, but you know how gossip is in Ponyville.”

The pegasus sighed faintly and rolled onto her stomach, rubbing her chin between her forelegs in annoyance. “Yeah...you kiss a colt on one side of town and by the time the rumour hits the other side of town, you fucked him.”

The nurse blinked once and snickered at Raindrop’s blunt words. “Something on your mind? You seem a little...tense.”

“...I was stabbed,” Raindrop stated flatly.

“Granted,” the nurse replied, inclining her head. “But I noticed that guard storming out earlier. Are you two close?”

“About as close as the moon is to the sun,” Raindrop replied bitterly, snorting once and resting her head on her forehooves.

The nurse hummed thoughtfully, and then smiled faintly, “I’m willing to bet that Celestia and Luna would have something to say on the subject of how close the sun and moon are.”

“Yeah, and look at them now. Even their guards aren’t allowed to interact any more,” Raindrop pointed out with a shake of her head.

The nurse gave a sigh and a nod, giving a helpless shrug of her shoulder. “You know what I mean, though.”

“You’re trying to imply that I somehow have feelings for Sentinel?” Raindrop asked with a wry grin. “That’s like asking if ice likes a hotplate.”

“But what if you’re trying to be water?”

Raindrop stared at the nurse for a long, long moment, giving her her best blank stare. “...What is this, the Kung Fu Filly? Yes master, the cobra strikes through swaying grass.”

The nurse chuckled faintly and then petted Raindrop gently on the neck. “It’s our job to make sure our patients are in the right place mentally.”

“I don’t need my head read,” Raindrop rebuked instantly, brows furrowing.

“But the body doesn’t heal properly if the mind is in the wrong place,” the nurse pointed out calmly.

“And what possible bearing would my relationship with that idiot guard have on being stabbed in the shoulder?” Raindrop queried flatly.

“Who knows?” the nurse said with a smile, and another shrug, as she began to move around the bed and towards the door. “But it might affect it, if it weighs heavily on your mind or your conscience.”

Raindrop scowled as the nurse moved towards the door. The pegasus snorted once, and then turned towards the window, before admitting, “I kind of disrespected the Royal Guard.”

The nurse paused at the doorway, looking over her shoulder. “And Sentinel didn’t take that so well, huh?”

“You could say that,” Raindrop stated, looking out the window still.

“Did you apologize?”

“He kind of hit me and stormed out.”

“He hit you?!” the nurse asked, her eyes widening and the narrowing darkly.

“I started it,” Raindrop said with a wave of her hoof. “And I deserved it.”

“That still doesn’t give him license to hit you!” she retorted angrily.

“Hey, I believe in gender equality.”

“I do too, but you do not hit mares!” the nurse responded angrily.

“I hit him. Repeatedly,” Raindrop said with a shrug. “We’re equals. So he gets a few hits in. That’s fair, right?”

“Well, when you put it like that, but-”

“Then good. What was your point, again?” Raindrop cut across the nurse, halting her rebuttal.

“I forget what I was going to say. Something nice about you finding him and apologizing for your behavior, but I really don’t care seeing as he’s a marebeater,” the nurse stated, growling.

“Oh calm down,” Raindrop said with a dismissive flick of her hoof. “I beat him over the head with the intent to cause bodily harm on several occasions.”

“And you have any problem with what he thinks of you?” the nurse asked with a snort.

Raindrop paused a moment, thinking for a moment, and then sighing. “...I kinda wish I didn’t.”

The nurse rolled her eyes, “Well find him, apologize, and then give him a black eye for me and tell him not to hit mares.”

And with that, the nurse turned around and stalked off before Raindrop could say anything else.

Raindrop just shook her head, and then sighed, resting her chin on her forelegs again.

Apologizing. That was definitely not her strong suit. Maybe she could just buy him a cake or something and call it even?

Wrinkling her nose, Raindrop stepped down off the bed gingerly, beginning to walk towards the front desk to get her things and the medicine for her shoulder. She had a Royal Guard to find.

But in all honesty, she would have prefered to be headed back into the Diamond Dog tunnels.