• Published 19th Feb 2015
  • 448 Views, 2 Comments

Sisters Of Light And Dark - KommandoStalker



The more bloody and tragic backstory of how Equestria came to be along with how Discord was truly defeated.

  • ...
 2
 448

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: The Rebellion begins

When nightfall fell down upon the ruins of Alihorn, all the bodies had been buried and the items that had been scattered around were stockpiled in the remains of the blacksmith. Though all money had been collected by IronBlood, he felt bad having it even though it would be needed. Steeltrix was staring a fire in the blacksmith while he also tried to rebuild at least what he could. Celestia and Luna were going back to the cottage to gather everything and bring it here to help grow another garden.

And as IronBlood looked towards his left, he could see on a hill several crosses that he and his brother had created to mark the graves of those who died.

Steeltrix was using the bellows as the fire got nice and hot and as he went to the pile of metal items and weapons he had collected, he began to pile a few into the furnace. He then began to slowly melt them into a pot and as the metal became liquid, he prepared a nearby weapon mold for what would come next.

Then, using a pair of tongs, he lifted the pot and gently poured the molten iron into the mold, making sure that little of it spilled from it. He then moved to another mold and poured some molten iron into it and he continued on until he no longer had any more iron. After putting the pot back into the furnace, he went to each mold and pried them open.

He just created a dozen swords that, though weren't complete or sharp, would soon help arm the soldiers that shall eventually hold them. He took each one from the mold and as he piled them into a basket, he began to put more iron items into the pot.

Then, the bellows began to work and Steeltrix turned and smiled to see IronBlood working the bellows. Then, IronBlood took out some more molds and laid them out as Steeltrix took out the pot and began to pour its contents into the molds.

"Father would be proud to see us keeping up the family traditions." Chuckled IronBlood and Steeltrix joined him in the laughing.

"He would be even more proud we took the same positions he had under SoulStorms rule... Well, except the general part." Steeltrix said.
Nearby, trying to make a garden and a temporary shelter, Celestia and Luna just managed to overhear what the colts had said and Luna said quietly, “Something tells me that their story is missing a few important details."

"Yes... But, nonetheless, they are pretty interesting characters for being mere Warrior ponies." Celestia said as she tried to make the remains of the tavern look better, all things considered its roof wasn't exactly in good shape but its downstairs, thankfully, was in better state.

Luna managed to start a fire in the fireplace as she looked out the window and saw the moon slowly rising up.

"I must confess, sister, that I'm still a little skeptical about this rebellion plan. We barely can help ourselves and yet we want to lead the people in revolt? Is there something I'm missing here?" She said as she turned to her sister.

Celestia nodded and she said, "You forget, we do have leaders with us to lead our troops."

"Who?" Asked Luna.

Celestia finished making the bed she was at as she walked over to a nearby window and pointed to a nearby building. "Them."

Luna looked outside and saw Steeltrix and IronBlood stockpiling armor parts and weapons. She looked back at her sister and she said evenly, “Just because their father was a general doesn't mean they will be the same."

"And yet, they show all the traits of great generals without even realizing it. All they need is a push."

"Or a shove. They can be a little thick sometimes." Muttered Luna as she went over to the fire.

"They're colts, Luna. All of them are." Celestia rolled her eye as she joined her sister.

"But... What about our father? He... He isn't the same SoulStorm we knew... We can't let him live or else he will kill more innocent people." Luna said suddenly.

Celestia looked into the fire as she said, “But Discord changed him. Maybe we can reverse the whole thing and get our dad back. I'm not willing to let up on him just because he turned evil."

Luna said nothing as she watched the fire and for a while, they sat there side by side, silent except for their breathing.

Then, the door opened and they turned their head to see Steeltrix and IronBlood both come in, exhausted from making so much in such short time span.

"We have enough to equip a dozen or so Warriors... That's only enough for about two patrols." Said Steeltrix as he sat down in a chair.
"You doubt twelve can do much?" Asked Celestia.

"With all due respect, your highness, as much as twelve is, we can't hold our own against even the smallest unit of Shadow Warriors. And that's about twenty ponies!" IronBlood said as he also sat down on a chair.

"Then you forget that General Irontrix, using only twelve Warrior ponies, captured a city within a single hour." Said Celestia as she turned back to the fire.

Both colts looked at each other and then looked at the girls before Steeltrix said, “What are you trying to say? What's your plan, then?"
Celestia smiled as she turned to the two colts and said, “I’m not a general. You two are."

The rays of morning dawn slowly began to rise over the burned remains of Alihorn as a nearby caravan began to make its way towards it.
"I can't wait to see those fools at the tavern. I want to see their jaws drop as they see me in this new weapon. Then they'll be begging us to take them with us." Said one of the Caravan guards as he hefted a double-bladed battle axe.

"Sure they will. All I can't wait to do is get myself a few mugs of some fine mead and maybe hear the tales from a traveler or two." Said his buddy, another caravan guard, as he looked up ahead. "Should be coming up soon enough."

The morning dawn soon broke the darkness around them and as they crested the road, they soon laid eyes upon the desolate remains of Alihorn. The whole caravan stopped as all the guards came forward to see the fire-gutted buildings.

"What happened here?" Asked one as he looked at the town in horror.

"I don't know. Come on; let's see if anyone needs help." Said the guard with the axe as he took off towards the town. The caravan guards all ran as the caravan itself followed them into the town. The guards searched amongst the buildings as they called out, “Hello! Can anyone hear us?"

Steeltrix woke up to the calls of the guards and then, as the calls continued, he realized that someone was here and he grabbed his scythe as he surged from his chair and as IronBlood also awoke and grabbed his weapons, the princesses slowly sat up as Luna asked, “Who’s that?"

Steeltrix looked at them as he said, “Get your armor and weapons, just in case. But stay here and try not to be spotted."

Then, along with his brother, Steeltrix walked to the door and opened it as the two bother stepped out of the tavern and into the street. Steeltrix saw no one to his left but when he turned to his right, he saw the caravan guards staring at him and his brother.

"Oi! Didn't your mother tell you that staring is rude." He shouted to the caravan as he and his brother faced them.

One of the guards, wielding a double-bladed axe, stepped forward and asked, “What happened here? Where are the ponies?"

Steeltrix looked at them and then, his head fell and the caravan guard knew what had happened. So, the guard looked at the two brothers and asked, “Can you tell us what happened inside the tavern?"

Steeltrix looked to his brother and said, “Get the girls beneath cloaks." as he turned back to the guard and said, “Sure, come and get inside. I'll explain as much as I can."

Celestia and Luna, wearing cloaks over their armor, watched from behind the bar counter as Steeltrix and IronBlood sat down the caravan guards at the few remaining tables around.

"So, what happened here? Why is this town burnt to the ground?" Asked one as he placed his spear on a nearby table.

"We know what happened but exact details of how it happened, we don't know. I, my brother, and our two guests were staying in a cottage not too far up the road when we woke up to the town under attack.

"I and my brother here were the first to arrive and we managed to see who did it but we couldn't do anything to stop them." Steeltrix said as he tried to be honest with them.

"Who did it? North ponies? Southern ponies?" Asked a Guard.

"... It... It was Shadow Warriors..." Said IronBlood.

"What? Why? Why would the people sent to protect these towns burn one to the ground?" Asked a guard in shock.

"... I knew the ponies because of something that happened near our cottage... I told the whole assembly that had been here that... Well, that the princesses had wanted to make a Rebellion... I didn't realize they would try to actually rise up and take on the Shadow Warriors...” Said Steeltrix with a heavy heart.

Suddenly, someone took Luna's hood off and she lashed out with her spear but it was stopped by a caravan guard as he said, “Princess Luna!" and bowed to her.

The guards bowed as one said, "You... Have been hiding the Princess Luna?"

"And me, as well..." Hesitantly said Celestia as she removed her hood.

"But... Why?" Asked the guard.

"I'll tell you why." Said Luna and she retold the tale that had begun the whole mess in the first place.

As she finished it up, the guards didn't stare at her but one lowered his head and he muttered, “Peace be with SoulStorms soul... How could he do that? Summon Discord?"

"Well, there is one way... But as far as I know, all of those troublemakers are dead or are hopefully rotting away in some dungeon." IronBlood muttered.

"Well, either way, is it possible we join you? We are Warriors from the north and I believe I know those guards that you met. They wouldn't just do something like what they did without reason. I think they believed that your rebellion was going to be the only way to create peace in the land." Asked one guard.

Steeltrix chuckled. "Peace? No... I think they saw a way to free them from being guards for a caravan. But, if you join, how much must we pay?"

One of the guards started to say something but the leader of them shushed him and then said, “Not all Warriors need to be paid to fight for what's right."

Steeltrix smiled as he said, “Come, follow me to the blacksmith. Get yourself some real iron armor over the leather you have. We also made a few swords to use if you want one."

The leader guard looked at his head before he said, “I think I shall stick with my axe. I spent quite a lot on it and I would hate to replace it already."

"It was only a suggestion. Not a command." Said IronBlood as he led the guards out of the tavern and towards the blacksmith.

"Can we trust them?" Asked Celestia to Steeltrix as he began to leave.

He paused as he thought about the answer. "I think we can but it's not like we have a choice. If we want to start this rebellion and get it going anywhere, we're going to have to do a lot."

The forest was slightly noisy as a slight breeze came in and rustled the trees leaves. The Shadow Warrior patrol slowly marched down the cobblestone road as the six Warrior ponies kept a relaxed stance. Something rustled the bushes nearby on the road and they ignored it, knowing it was probably only a small rabbit or maybe even a deer as it ran around the forest. They kept going on as some more rustling was heard around them.

Suddenly, a sickle cartwheeled from the forest and slashed the neck of a Shadow Warrior, blood arcing from the blade as it splattered the other Warriors near the pony.

Several figures came erupting from the bushes as the Shadow Warriors, armed with only spears and round shields, were too shocked to mount a defense fast enough. The unknown warrior ponies crashed into the Shadow Warriors as swords flashed and blood sprayed across the cobblestone road as the patrol was brutally butchered.

Steeltrix was proudly impressed by the Northern ponies as they quickly dragged the bodies off the road and into the forest.
And all they left behind was a single helmet, resting on the road amidst several arcs and pools of blood.
Then, he whistled into the forest and as he vanished into its depths, the forest was all quiet.

Celestia watched from where she and Luna stood as they watched the Shadow Warriors burial ceremony. They had been placed in wooden coffins and as each one was slowly lowered into the grave, Steeltrix and IronBlood gave them a small blessing.

"He's... Not one to be like others." Luna said.

"In what way?" Asked Celestia.

"Have you noticed that everybody he or someone kills he buries? He and his brother does that I noticed."

Celestia nodded as the ceremony was done and as the Northern ponies and the two brothers began to walk back to Alihorn, Celestia looked to her sister and said, “Come on. I made enough food for everyone."

Luna nodded and they both soon left their spot of observation to go back to the tavern. As they both walked towards the tavern, Celestia said to Luna, “Hopefully, with further ambushes and maybe small raids, we can gain more people to join us."

"Or maybe we can be really crazy and try to take a town." Muttered Luna.

Celestia shot her sister a look as she said, “Luna!"

"Hey, you know just as well as I do that we could be put down like animals! Before the whole population! Branded as traitors, no less."
"But Luna, the price of what happens if we don't do something is far greater and far worse than if we don't." Celestia said as they passed the blacksmith and came to the entrance of the tavern.

As Celestia opened the door and let Luna in, she could see Steeltrix, IronBlood, and the other warrior ponies coming up the street.
She then disappeared into the tavern as she let her cloak come off her and hanged it up next to her sister’s cloak. Luna was already dishing out the meal, a vegetable soup made from the vegetables they had gathered from the garden.

Then, the Northern ponies and the two brothers came in and as the soup were done finishing up pouring the soup, suddenly IronBlood and Steeltrix came up to the bowls and said, “Here, let us help you out."

They each took up a tray of bowls and as they carried them to the Northern ponies, Celestia silently thanked them for being so kind.
As they ate their meal, IronBlood mingled in with the other ponies while Steeltrix and the princesses both sat at a nearby table, next to the other ponies table. Steeltrix looked up at Celestia and asked suddenly, "You know... Most princesses don't actually know how to cook their own food except when they are in the north. How is it you know how to?"

Celestia looked up at him in surprise before she said, “I managed to learn a bit from books... Plus, our mother managed to teach us a little before she left..."

"Oh... Well, I'm sorry to have asked." Steeltrix lowered his head as he continued to eat.

They continued to eat as the North ponies continued to be loud but it wasn't to be disrespectful or annoying. Apparently, as Steeltrix listened in on his brother, IronBlood was telling an old tale their father would tell them many times. It was a tale of how Irontrix had conquered one of the Northern pony’s most stubborn fortress cities in an hour with only twelve Warriors. It was based on the real thing and as IronBlood retold the tale, Steeltrix hoped the Northern ponies wouldn't be mad at his brother. But when it was done, the Northern pony leader chuckled as he said, “OH my goodness, that's awesome. As much as most of us don't like being defeated, it was your father that forbids his forces from ever looting and razing cities. He earned a lot of respect for doing that, especially from those he conquered."

"So, what's next tomorrow morning? Another ambush against a patrol? Maybe a small hit-and-run against a town?" Asked another pony.
Steeltrix and his brother pondered this question and Celestia got an uncomfortable feeling they would just do the same thing over and over again.

But then, Steeltrix looked at his brother and she noticed his eyes glowed for a fleeting moment before IronBlood said, “I think... Because we remember those Shadow Warriors taking prisoners when they burned the village to the ground, we can maybe help the people and free them."

This brought a moment of stunned silence.

"I don't know if you remember but when we left for the ambush, we passed some wagon tracks mixed in with some normal pony tracks. And I remember specifically that your caravan kept to the road when they left."

"Your right," said one of the North ponies," the caravan did continue on from here. And I do remember those tracks... But how can we be sure we can take on anything that will most likely be protecting those people? They may have at most a small company sitting on them as guards!"

"I have my sincerest doubts they have that many. Remember, their only town’s ponies, not full-fledged Warriors. I have my doubts any of them knew what had been going on when the whole thing happened."

"Well... I guess it’s worth a shot... I mean, hopeful we won't be killed off by crossbows of maybe-" began one pony but when everyone gave him a look, he quickly said, “It’s worth a shot. I'll get ready for the trip."

When everyone had finally been done with lunch, Steeltrix was nice enough to quickly rinse the bowls and spoons. But just as he grabbed his scythe, he saw Celestia and Luna grabbing their weapons and he asked them, “Where do you two think you’re going?"

"You sound like our father and we can help you in the long run." Luna said as the two sisters followed the North ponies out of the tavern.
Steeltrix looked to his brother as he said, "You got a feeling we're going to be in a new world of problems now?"

"Honestly," said IronBlood as he looked at his brother," as long as they don't get killed or captured, I think we're going to be fine with them around."

"Just saying." Muttered Steeltrix as the two exited the tavern and began to lead the party to where the town ponies hopefully were being held.

The night air was chill as Steeltrix slowly moved through the forest, following Luna as she guided them through the night and hopefully on the right path. They had been traveling for quite some time and though everyone was doing quite well, he honestly had hoped they would have found the town ponies by now.

The path had kept going and going and going, never seeming to getting close to their destination. But as he managed to follow Luna, the only thing he saw of her was her silver armor as it glinted in the moonlight that managed to filter through the trees.

Suddenly, Luna hissed, “Stop!" And everyone behind him halted and a few began to spread out from what he heard. He tried to look up ahead and see what she saw but it was so dark, he could barely see his own hoofs.

Then, Luna said, “I can see the glow of fires up ahead... Maybe our missing ponies... Let's be cautious."

Then, she kept going but she now was in a crouched stance.

Steeltrix followed her advice and he hunkered down as everyone began to move again. He could now see clearly the glow of fires coming from what looked to be a few fire pits and he was pretty sure that he could see figures around the fires. They kept going through the underbrush, taking careful measures to not snap a branch or make any other form of noise that would give away their position. And as they neared the fires, Steeltrix could hear the voices of ponies coming from them.

Then, with a small, quiet whistle, the group split up into two groups: Steeltrix and Celestia with six of the Warriors in one group and IronBlood and Luna with the other six Warriors in the other group.

Steeltrix led his small group around one way while IronBlood went the other way and all the while, the ponies around the fires were unknowing of their inevitable doom. But as they got neared, Steeltrix stopped to check out the ponies.

And then, he gave a short whistle that his brother answered and the ponies around the fires stopped talking.
"You hear that?"

Steeltrix hurled a sickle from his belt as his brother and the Warriors charged in. Celestia and Luna made a dash towards several nearby carts and as the ringing of steel-on-steel was heard, the two sisters opened the carts back ends.

Steeltrix leaped into the action as his scythe flashed around him, spilling the blood and spilling entrails of the dozen Shadow Warriors that had been around the fires. The Northern ponies were good and as the Shadow Warriors tried to mount some form of a counter attack, IronBlood charged into their midst and bowled them over.

Celestia and Luna freed the town ponies, all now awaking up to the sounds of battle and as the fighting continued, they slowly gathered the ponies.

The fires danced as the last Shadow Warrior was ended, the Northern pony leader burying his axe blade deep into the warrior’s neck. Blood seeped into the ground and covered Steeltrix and his band of Warriors as he nodded to Celestia and then, as a group, they ran from the place and back towards Alihorn.

The crackle of fires burning was soon the only thing to be heard there in that place.

PreviousChapters Next