• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,891 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,891

See Ya Later Dragon Lady

Reality seemed to shatter as Patty burst into the world, dressed much more modestly than anyone present was used to seeing her, a suit of black armour covering near every inch of flesh she had, with a blood red tunic beneath. In her arms was a bundle of towels and blankets, braced against her generous bosom as she landed in a crouch in the middle of the room, pieces of air clattering around her like so many shards of broken glass as the barrier between worlds repaired the point at which she had arrived.

“Where the bloody fuck is Jason!?” she screamed desperately, tears streaming down her face and teeth bared.

The changelings on guard jumped to attention, aiming their spears at her. They stared for a moment before Jason teleported in, holding his head.

“She’s gone, isn't she?” Jason asked, tears already sliding down his face. “Answer me dammit!”

“Shut yer hole, Jotun,” Patty spat, standing and striding over to him, revealing her greater physique as she stood easily three heads over him. “I’ve had to restrict my power in here, but we’re all fighting for our lives over there. Only reason she didn’t call you for help is cause she knows it’s one fight she won’t win.” Without a word, Patty held the bundle in her arms out, a small shape beneath the many blankets and towels shifting as quiet whimpers sounded out.

“Take your daughter. Keep her safe.” Jason took the babe quickly, cradling her against his chest. He looked down at her, unable to voice a response. He looked up at Patty, a look of utter despair on his face.

“...I know, Jason…” the taller woman sighed, closing her eyes against the tears that threatened to break through her visage anew. “I… I know. Listen, I can’t help you after this either. Soon as this fight’s over, my mind is going to be wiped, and I’ll be reset.” Pausing, she looked over her shoulder as a dark shape rose from a pouch that had gone unnoticed up till that moment. With fur a deep black-green colour and a crimson feather protruding from its head, the Sneasel looked down at Jason with curious eyes.

“This is Chill,” Patty explained in a monotone as Chill hopped down, padding over to Jason’s side and gazing at the bundle in his arms. “He’s… he’s Rita’s. Showed up on the day she was born… mere minutes before they got to the cave…” Pausing, Patty’s hand flew over her eyes, the woman barely containing the sobs that shook her shoulders.

“I'll remember for all of us,” Jason promised, putting his hand on her arm. “Yggdrasil will remember. I swear to you Patty, they'll never be forgotten.” He looked down at Rita and his gaze hardened. “And I'll take our vengeance.”

“NO!” Patty roared suddenly, eyes wild and burning with an untold fury. “Stay away from the Voidlings, Jason! Nothing in all of Anything can stop them!” Silence fell as Patty stared into Jason’s eyes, chest heaving. “Promise me…” she muttered, turning her gaze to the child. “No… promise her.”

Jason stared back at her, shaking with boiling rage. “I promise Rita, I'll keep you safe.”

Turning away, Patty sighed. “Listen, Jason…” she began, her hair falling over her eyes. “There’s a large chance you might… that she might… well…” Pausing, she took a deep breath before spitting it out. “There’s a chance that she might be Displaced again. And that you’ll meet the… the new one. It’ll be hard, but you have to remember, that won’t be your Zinnia. She won’t know you, or Rita, in the slightest. And any knowledge of her old self might…” She trailed off, unwilling to state what may befall the new cycle.

“I'll always remember, Patty, even if she won't.” He gave her a sad smile. “I won't do anything to put that Zinnia in danger, I swear on my soul.”

“Thank you…” Patty muttered before turning back to Jason. “Can you give Rita to Rares or Chryssi? I… I need to do something with you. In private.”

Jason nodded, passing Rita to the guards. They saluted, leaving the room without question. “What is it Patty?”

Eyes hardening, Patty held out her hand. “Omnitrix. Now.” Jason stared at her before relenting, unlatching the device from his wrist. He held it out, watching her.

Without a word, Patty reached into the Omnitrix itself, sending a surge of electricity down Jason’s arm. Seeming to dig around for a moment, she nodded, pulling out… Hodgepodge.

Jason stumbled back, looking at Hodge with wide eyes. “How the fuck did you do that. Put him back!”

“In a minute,” Patty shot back coldly, waving her hand. “Sleep for a bit.” Jason flipped her off before collapsing like a sack of bricks.

“So...” Hodge looked between the two, a weak smile on his face. Patty looked to him, her eyes cold and empty.

“Hodgepodge,” she said simply, walking over to the chimera of chaos. “I know what Jason said, but… I also know how he thinks. He’s gonna try to help Zinnia somehow and that’s gonna end up with him causing more trouble than he solves. I want you to do everything in your power to stop him if this happens.” Pausing, she glared at Hodgepodge. “And I mean everything. If he turns into you, just sit there and do nothing. If he becomes Alien X, refuse anything he proposes. Hell, if he gets another reality-bending form, just take it over and claim it's for funsies. Just don’t let him do it.

“I...” Hodge bit his lip, looking down at Jason. “I don't need to promise that. Jason gave his word, he won’t break it.”

Please, Hodgepodge,” Patty begged, and in her eyes the draconequus could see the absolute terror and sorrow of her soul. “Just… for me. Please.” Hodgepodge’s look softened and he nodded his head.

“I promise, Patty, I’ll stop him.” He solemnly crossed his heart, made small flapping motions with his paw and talon, then covered one eye.

Nodding, Patty leaned forward, pulling Hodgepodge into a long, passionate kiss before whispering in his ear. “...I love you…”

As soon as the words had left her lips, the Void Walker pushed him away, causing the draconequus to stumble and fall back, merging into Jason once more. The Omnitrix chirped with the confirmation that he had once more been “catalogued”.

“He’ll wake up soon enough…” Patty muttered, turning and walking away. “I need to be gone before that… no more goodbyes…”

And with that, she leapt, forcing her way through reality once more and leaving the wound to heal itself behind her.

Author's Note:

So, for those of you who don't know, Zinnia got rebooted. This is something we made to ensure their daughter wouldn't get lost in the transition. Anyway, this is the last update Edda will receive. You can find the new story, here: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/363319/and-then-there-was-jason