• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,892 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,892

Birth of Chaos

Author's Note:

OK guys so...I can write again only...only my phone which is a pain in the ass so I'll be slow going with chapters. Anyway, enjoy!

“Where is he!?” Luna demanded as she popped into existence, scaring the poor receptionist right out of his seat.

“W-who?” the young stallion asked, looking up at the lunar goddess, gulping rather loudly.

“My son!” she shouted, glaring down at him, “Where is Grey Ghost?!”

“Yggdrasil, Luna,” Jason said as he walked into the room, rubbing his ears. “You don’t need to shout. I think you made the poor guy deaf.” He pointed to the terrified stallion, whose ears where folded against his head in an effort to protect against further sonic assaults.

“Er... I apologize...” Luna said, having the decency to look ashamed. “But please Jason, I need to see him.”

“What am I going to do, keep a mother from her son?” Jason asked, rolling his eyes. “Come on, they’re this way.” He turned on his heel and walked down the hallway, Luna quickly trotting after him.

“How is he?” Luna asked as they moved into a more isolated part of the hospital, which was being guarded rather heavily.

“He’s... I’ll let Twilight tell you,” he said, opening the door for her, letting her enter first. The room was rather spacious, with the group having congregated inside. Luna immediately moved over to the bed, looking her son over. Grey Ghost was sleeping rather peacefully, hooked up to several different beeping machines, though, he did have an inhibitor ring on his horn.

Why is his magic restricted!?” she boomed, causing the group to shudder from the force of her voice, her mane whipping back and forth violently. “Somepony will pay for this insult!

“Auntie, please,” Cadance pleaded, trotting over to her, enduring the goddess’s wrath, “It’s for his own good! He's got severe magical exhaustion and we don’t want it to get worse.”

Luna sighed, taking a deep breath to calm herself. “Do we know how he’s stayed alive this long?”

“Judging by the notes we recovered from his cave, it seems he used some kind of time dilation spell. The past thousand years have only been a few days for him,” Twilight spoke up. “He must have come out sometime after Sombra was defeated...”

“Speaking of Sombra,” Shining spoke up, looking toward the foal, who was asleep in a crib in the opposite corner of the room. “He can't stay here. If the crystal ponies find out he's here, even as a foal, they'll panic.”

“Why don't we take him?” Jason asked, walking over to the sleeping foal. “I mean, we don't have anything against him and we could use the practice for when our kids arrive.” He reached into the crib and lifted the foal up, cradling him gently.

“I really wish you would consult with us before just make decisions like this...” Rarity grumbled, shifting her wings in agitation. “But... I don't see why we can't... if Chrysalis is okay with it.”

The empress just shrugged. “What’s one more kid? Besides, he’s rather adorable.”

“Well now that that’s settled, will you guys be staying the night?” Shining asked, looking the group over.

Twilight spoke up before anyone else could. “As much as I want to, B.B.B.F.F., we have to get back as soon as possible. Not only is Fluttershy due at any time, but we need to get winter started in Ponyville.”

“I’m staying here,” Luna said, taking a seat next to Grey's bed. “I’m not leaving his side.” She cast a sad glance at Sombra. “Please... take care of him...”

“Of course Luna, of course,” Jason reassured her before he and the others departed, leaving the night princess with her sleeping son. She had already lost him once, she wouldn’t lose him again.


“He looks too cute to be evil,” Pinkie said, staring intently into Sombra’s eyes. The foal just blinked at her, reaching out to boop her nose. She scrunched up her muzzle, causing Sombra to giggle and do it again. Pinkie giggled with him, booping him back, the two having a friendly boop fight.

“Well that's good, he’s got the pink one’s seal of approval.” Chrysalis rolled her eyes but couldn't keep the smile off her face.

“I think he’s adorable,” Fluttershy commented, laying on her side across most of the cushions that were on the train. It was a wonder how she was still moving around this far into her pregnancy.

“Y’all realize that he’s gonna need a new name right?” Applejack spoke up, fluffing one of Fluttershy’s pillows. “Ah mean, he ain’t gonna a be the person he was before and it’d be a shame if he had ta live with a name that wasn’t his. ‘Specially one with as much baggage as ‘Sombra’.”

“She has a point,” Rarity said, looking at Jason, who nodded in agreement.

“Ooh! You could call him Umbra or um... Penumbra, or Inky, or Blinky or Clyde!” Pinkie rambled off, listing off a few other random names.

“Pinkie, none of those names fit the kid,” Dash rolled her eyes, watching as Sombra nibbled on Chrysalis’s tail, though she didn't seem to mind, as she smiled gently at him.

“We could call him Kol, it’s a Norse name that means ‘dark’,” Jason said, ruffling the foal’s mane.

“A bit on the nose, but I think it works well enough,” Twilight said with a smile.

“Seems a little... plain,” Rarity pouted.

“Okay, uh... how about Hakol?” Jason suggested, “It means ‘dark horse’.”

“Works for me,” Chrysalis said with finality, effectively ending the conversation.


“You do realize you live in the Everfree forest now, right?” Jason asked with a sigh, looking down at the irate stallion standing in front of his throne.

“That’s no excuse for unscheduled weather!” Jet Set seethed, glaring at him.

“And how do you expect us to have scheduled weather when pegasus magic doesn’t work here?” Jason asked, sounding rather annoyed,

“Why don't you turn into that ridiculous mixed up creature of yours and fix it!?” Jet Set snarled, his eye twitching a little.

“Yes, because throwing a chaos god at a forest rife with chaos magic is sure to end well. Besides, you do realize he’s not just an alternate form, but his own person? He might just do something unpleasant to you for even asking,” Jason snapped back.

“That’s it!” Jet Set shouted, throwing his hooves into the air, “We’re moving back to Canterlot!” He tore out of the castle, leaving a cartoonish dust cloud in his wake.

“Good riddance!” Jason shouted after him, taking a deep breath to calm himself as Gilda strode in, looking a little concerned. “Hey G, something bothering you?”

“Something’s up with Dash,” Gilda said, sitting on her haunches, flicking her tail. “She’s been acting weird.”

“Weird how?” Jason asked, leaning back in his chair, gesturing for her to continue.

“Like, all the other ponies are trying to set up winter and she's... trying to stop it? I think it has something to do with her turtle.”

“Tortoise,” Jason pointed out.

“Whatever,” Gilda said, rolling her eyes. “Point is, she’s being weird and like, you’re the only one that’s not busy, could you talk to her or something?”

“Of course I can G, as soon as I’m done here,” Jason said with a nod.

“Thanks Jay, I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me,” Gilda returned the nod, then got up and headed out of the room.

“What was that about?” Chrysalis asked, walking into the room. She placed a kiss on Jason’s cheek, taking her seat next to him. “You know, we still need to make Rarity a throne of her own.”

“Yeah but let’s worry about that later,” Jason said, shaking his head. “Something’s up with Dash, Gilda thinks it’s got something to do with Tank.”

“What is it now?” she asked with a sigh and a roll of her eyes. “I swear, ponies are so high maintenance.”

“I won’t argue with you there, but still, we should see what’s eating her.” Just as Jason moved to get up, the pony in question burst into the room, Tank floating after her, pulled along by a leash.

“Jay! I need your help!” Dash panted, pausing to catch her breath.

“Does this have anything to do with you trying to stop winter?”

“Uh... maybe...” she said with a sheepish grin. “Look, you need to help! I gotta stop winter from coming so Tank doesn't have to, you know...”

“Spit it out!” Chrysalis hissed, frowning.

“I don’t want him to hibernate!” Dash admitted, hugging Tank close to her, the reptile letting out a sleepy yawn.

Chrysalis just stared at her for a moment. “This is too stupid to deal with, you do it. I’m going to check on the eggs.” She got up, quickly trotting out of the room, leaving the remaining two in silence.

“Dash I...” Jason started, running a hand down his face. “You sound like a child. Tank needs to hibernate, like all reptiles. Hell, even Zed is hibernating right now.”

“Wait, what?” Dash asked, blinking in surprise.

“Well, she is a reptile, she needs to hibernate, just like Tank does. Stopping winter is just going to hurt them and all the other animals that hibernate,” Jason pointed out. “I know you love Tank but you have to let him go, besides it’s just for a few months.”

“No way!” Dash shouted, darting up into the air, “I’m not going to give up on Tank!” She bolted out of the room, dragging the poor tortoise along behind her.

“That could have gone better...” Jason sighed, getting to his feet, "Welp, better tell Twilight." He ended court for the day, heading out of the castle and toward Ponyville.


“Prepare yourselves everypony, winter is coming!”

“Seriously?” Jason groaned, running a hand down his face. He blinked and the next thing he knew he was flat on his back, buried under several feet of snow. He sat up, barely feeling the snow as it rolled off his body. “OK, the fuck was that?”

Jason noticed Rainbow Dash nearby... with a very, very, very pissed off looking Chrysalis flittering over to her.

“You!” she screamed, her face contorted in rage. “You feather brained nimrod! You could have killed someone! I swear to everything sacred in this world, either you let that tortoise hibernate or I'm cocooning your dumb ass until spring! Are we clear!?”

“But-” Rainbow Dash started, only to fall silent as Chrysalis spat some goo past her head, daring her to open her mouth again. The tension lasted a whole minute before Discord appeared, looking absolutely terrified.

“Fluttershy’s water broke!” he exclaimed, his eyes wide. “What do I do!?” he demanded, grabbing Jason by the shoulders and shaking him vigorously.

“Take her to the hospital, you goon!” Jason shouted before letting out a grunt as Discord dropped him like a sack of potatoes.

“Hospital... right...” Discord nodded, snapping his talons and teleporting those relevant to the hospital. “Somepony help! There's a foal coming!” he cried, getting the hospital staff into gear. They got Fluttershy into a room, then asked everyone besides Discord to wait outside.

“You know...” Dash started, rubbing her arm, “I feel kinda silly now, freaking out about Tank like that.”

“I would say you should feel stupid, but as long as you know you were wrong,” Chrysalis responded, pouting as Jason glared at her.

They sat there in relative silence for the next few hours until the cries of a foal broke the quiet. A few minutes later, the doctor trotted out, pulling his mask down. “She's ready for visitors now,” he said with a smile.

The group made their way into the room, spotting a very tired Fluttershy and Discord, fawning over a pink bundle in her hooves.

“Hello, everypony,” Fluttershy said with an exhausted smile. “Say hello to Eris.” She turned the bundle so they could all have a look at the foal. The first thing everyone saw was a tiny light pink muzzle poking out of the blanket, followed by the beginnings of a light yellow mane. Her face looked mostly like a normal pony foal, except her ears had little tufts of fur on the ends.

“Well, ain’t she a cutie?” Applejack asked, giving the foal a smile.

“Oh my, yes,” Rarity agreed, nodding her head.

“Now I get to throw her a ‘welcome to the world’ party!” Pinkie cheered before zipping out of the room.

Jason chuckled, shaking his head, and gave the new family a smile. Opening his mouth to speak, he instead vanished in a burst of light. Fluttershy frowned, rocking the now crying Eris.

“So...” Chrysalis started, looking at Discord, “You knock up Moony yet?”