• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,890 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,890

Argument interrupted

Author's Note:

Crossover with "The Reluctant Gunman," by thunderclap found here: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/265414/the-reluctant-gunman . Spoiler warning on that story yo.

“You invaded a freaking town! Do you know how insane that is?”Jason shouted at Chrysalis, his eye twitching.

“I did what I had to do to keep Rarity safe from a cult!” she shouted back at him, glaring rather hard, “It’s not my fault you went galavanting off to the Empire!”

“I was helping Son...” he paused, turning to look at what looked like a tall human male in a bright red duster and anthro versions of Celestia and Luna, his eyes a little wide, “Oh uh... hey...”

“Oh great, Displaced,” Chrysalis said with a snort, “That’s just what we need right now.”

“Forgive us... we were uh... having a bit of a spat...”Jason said, coughing a little, “I’m Jason and this is my wife Chrysalis.”

“Charmed,” Chrysalis said with a scowl.

The man stared at them blankly for a few moments before putting on a big grin. “Hello, I’m Vash and these are my friends…”

“We already know that they’re Celestia and Luna,” Chrysalis interrupted as she held up a hoof to stop him.

“Just uh... bit weirded out by the whole anthro thing,” Jason said, giving the two an uncertain look.

Vash just shrugged and kept up his grin. “Hey, they certainly beat that manticore I ran into when I first woke up here. Oh and Discord, these two are definitely normal compared to him.” Celestia and Luna frowned at him for that comment and he let out a nervous chuckle before turning back to Jason. “So, what’s up with the two of you being here? And did Chrysalis say something about a Displaced or something?” he asked as he scratched the side of his head.

“You my friend are a Displaced,” Jason said, turning to me, “You dressed up as Vash the Stampede, went to a con, bought something from some creepy guy and ended up here, am I right?”

Vash pulled out his gun and looked at it for a moment before reholstering it. “I might’ve, oh and there was this creepy smiling guy who gave me a sales pitch about the merchant’s stall, is that part par for the course too?” he asked.

“No,” Jason said, shaking his head, “Never heard of a smiling guy involved with the Merchant,” he said with a shrug. “But uh... you said Discord right? You didn’t happen to just seal with away did you?” Chrysalis smirked before Jason shot her a look. “Don’t you dare Chrissy.”

“Killjoy...” she mumbled, looking away with a pout.

“Anyway uh...” Jason paused again, giving the other man a look, “You... you realize you're no longer human right?”

Vash gripped his left arm and his eyes widened in shock. “Okay, that certainly is hard to believe, but maybe you could explain?” he suggested with a laugh and a big grin.

“You BECAME your costume,” Jason started, walking over. “Vash is not human, he is a Plant, which is what you are now.” He held up his right arm, the Omnitrix chirping as it scanned Vash. “Yup, you ain't human.”

Celestia and Luna’s eyes widened in shock at this revelation, but Vash still wore that grin. He walked over to Jason and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, do you mind if I have a brief chat with you in private?” he asked. Jason nodded and they walked deeper into the library. Once they were far enough away from the others Vash leaned towards him and started to whisper. “Were you serious back there? About me becoming my costume?”

“Yes, I am serious,” Jason said, looking into his eyes. “You're a Displaced, one of Yggdrasil knows how many. There's a Nemesis, great guy by the way, a Pyramid Head, a Jesse and James, a Mewtwo, you name it, there's a Displaced for it.”

“And when you say that I became my costume, do you mean what I think you mean?”

“You are Vash, down to the genetic level,” he held up his arm, “I got lucky, I just bought this thing, doesn’t make my life any less insane,” he muttered, running a hand through his hair. “Also, you should count yourself lucky, normally when a Displaced gets sent to this time period, they get sealed in stone like Discord.”

Vash dropped his grin and turned serious for a moment. “Okay, but there’s one more thing I need to know. If I really am Vash down to the genetic level, then does that mean…” he asked, gripping his right arm, hoping Jason would get the picture.

“Yes, thats what that means,” Jason said, crossing his arms. “You best learn how to use it before you put a hole in the moon.”

Vash gained a horrified expression, staring off into space.

“Hey,” Jason said, giving him a light smack. “I bet you’re thinking about losing the arm huh? Don’t.” he said, looking intently into his eyes, “This world has some insane shit in that, you are going to need that arm.”

“And what if something happens and I lose control?” Vash spat at him. “Would you want to have the destruction of an entire city on your conscience?”

“Would you want a soul sucking demon from the pits of hell stealing the very magic from these ponies?” Jason countered, “Because that will happen and you will need a way to stop him. But,” he said, his gaze softening, “I can help.”

“Yeah, you said that in your message. And if that watch is what I think it is then I know exactly how you would help. But you’re wrong about me needing this arm. I’ve seen what Celestia, Luna and many other ponies can do. But, I’ll hold off on doing anything too rash,” Vash told him as his face returned to its normal grin. “After all, this is the only organic arm I have left,” Vash started with a chuckle and devious smirk. “I don’t even want to think what alone time would be like with a metal prosthetic.”

“I know someone you could ask,” Jason said with a laugh. “But anyway, hey!” Jason called out to Celestia and Luna, “I need some things, mostly metals, a forge and your best mage.”

Celestia and Luna looked between each other with an odd look. “And what dost thou plan on doing with these things?” Luna asked carefully.

“I’m going to make Vash a power regulator,” Jason said, crossing his arms. “I’d just conjure one up as Hodgepodge but I don’t think you guys want to see another Draconequus at the moment.”

“I’ll let you do that, I’ll stay here with Lulu and Tia,” Chrysalis said with a smirk, “I bet they’d love so see what our versions of them are like, wouldn’t you?” she asked, looking at Celestia.

Vash walked up to Jason and put a hand on his shoulder. “I’ll help you with the power regulator. This is to help me after all. Besides, I know my way around a forge and I’m sure that I can figure out anything I don’t understand,” he told him with a big grin.

“We still need someone well versed in magic,” Jason said, shaking his head, “I’d get Twilight but... she won’t be born for a few centuries...” he mumbled, stroking his chin, “Is uh... Starswirl here?”

“Yup, he’s one of Celestia and Luna’s advisors and their Court Mage. Do you want Clover’s help too, or will he be enough?”

“I think they’ll do fine,” he said, nodding. “Omnitrix, Grey Matter,” he vanished in a flash, being replaced by a small grey creature. “Well let’s get started,” he said, leaping up onto Vash’s shoulder.

Vash carried Jason to Starswirl and Clover’s study and explained the situation to them. It took some time to get Clover to stop panicking, but after some reassurances from Vash and Starswirl, she calmed down quickly enough. Once explanations were dealt with, Vash led the group down to the forge area using a slide hidden in the wall. Once they were in the forge, Vash let Jason down onto a table and gave him some parchment and quills so he could start sketching and explaining what they were supposed to do.

“And don’t ask me to explain this stuff,” Jason said after he had finished with the sketching, “I just... do things as Grey Matter, I don't really understand it all myself. I need you,” he pointed at Vash, “to get the metal ready and you,” he pointed at Starswirl, “I need you to enchant some storage crystals.” He looked up at them with a little glare. “Well? Get on with it!”

“Yeesh, you’re pushy when you’re in this form,” Vash told him as he picked up the sketch and went to get the necessary materials.

Vash then took off his duster, pulling on an apron and grabbing his tools. He put them down in a neat and orderly way before turning to the forge with a grin. He lit a fire at the base of the forge and allowed it to heat up for a moment, trying to figure out where to start. He paused, turning to check on Starswirl.

He was dutifully enchanting the crystals as instructed and was even explaining the proper way to do it to Clover. Every once in a while Clover would nod and follow her master’s example.

Jason was off in the corner, fiddling with some wires, his little hands moving like lightning. “You know... last time I did something like this, I was making a friend a new pair of legs.”

“I’m afraid to ask, but why did they need a new pair of legs?”

“She got them cut off by a crazed dictator while saving my life,” he said, his voice getting dark. “I turned him into paste.”

Vash nodded. “I can understand that. But there was a reason why I picked this costume above all the god-like entities that pop culture has to offer. I never want to take a life. I personally believe that it’s not my place to say who gets to live or die, no matter how bad they may be,” he told Jason with determination in his eyes.

“You're a better man than I,” Jason admitted, letting out a sigh. “Me? I’m a warrior to the end, I’ll die in battle, or at least I hope. I have Yggdrasil knows how long to work that out.”

Vash started to laugh at Jason’s response. “Me, a better man? Not really, I just have a moral compass that I learned from a tv show that I watched years ago. I can guarantee you that I wanted to kill Discord when I saw what he had done to Celestia and Luna in their first battle. I just don’t act on those urges,” Vash finished with a shrug.

“He’s actually a nice guy, at least mine is,” Jason said, looking up from his work, “Got himself a rather nice mare. Still a bit of an annoyance though.” He went back to his work, mumbling to himself about things Vash couldn’t really comprehend.

“They have a kid on the way,” he added, pausing to wipe the sweat off his brow.

Vash paused, looking Jason in the eyes.“Who in their right mind would want to have a kid with Discord?”

“The Element of Kindness,” Jason replied. “She reformed him and they hooked up. I’d say ponies changed him for the better.”

Vash just blinked before going back to his work, “Well that’s odd, but I guess that just makes me all the more adamant about my position on killing. If even Discord can be reformed, then anyone can,” Vash beamed.

“Well, I’m done here,” he said hopping off his table. He moved over to Starswirl and Clover, tapping the Omnitrix and shifting into a four-legged unicorn. “You need any help?” he asked, though the voice of Bob Dylan left his lips.

“We are almost done here as well. Perhaps Vash would like thy help?” Starswirl suggested.

“Hey, I can handle things just fine here!” Vash called out. “This just takes a lot of time otherwise the metal will be too weak and break with a stiff breeze.”

“Okay then,” Jason said as he reverted to normal. The Omnitrix chirped, passing a yellow light over Starswirl. “Alright, was not expecting that to happen, but I suppose the DNA of an anthro pony is different enough from the four legged kind to warrant a scan... I should totally get one of Celestia or Luna...”

This caught Vash’s attention and he quirked an eyebrow at Jason. “And why do you want a scan of one of them? If you already have a scan of something like Discord then you wouldn’t need their magic. Or is there something else about their form that interests you?” Vash asked as he slid over to him with a devious smirk.

“I’m married,” he said flatly, “But I scan everything I can. Never know what forms will come in handy, plus if any of them go extinct, the Omnitrix can bring them back from their DNA.”

“I know, I just felt like messing with you. Plus, I don’t know what you and your wife do behind closed doors,” Vash said with a chuckle. “From the sound of things it seems like both of you can change your shape, who knows how crazy the two of you get.”

“Yeah, me, Chrissy and Rarity do get into some kinky stuff,” he said, leaning on the wall with a slight grin.

Vash’s eyes widened as he said that. “Wait a minute, when you say that do you mean… are you?” he asked, unable to complete his sentence.

“Polygamus? Yup,” he said with a nod, “Wedding was awesome... at least after we stopped Ansem from eating the world. Had a bunch of other Displaced there for the ceremony,” he turned to Vash, “On the subject of Displaced, you should probably make a token.”

Vash placed an arm around Jason’s shoulder with a grin. “This token thing can come later, I have a very important question to ask. Polygamy may be accepted in your world, but what do you think are the chances that it’s accepted here?” he whispered to Jason.

“You’d have to ask,” Jason said with a shrug, “But, you need to know something, something very, very, very important,” he looked into Vash’s eyes, a dark look forming on his face. “Elements from Trigun will appear in this universe. Most likely, you’ll have to fight a version of Knives.”

This caused the grin on Vash’s face to falter and he let out a sigh. “You couldn’t just let me have my fantasy of having a group of wives with Celestia, Luna and who knows how many other of the beautiful mares that live in this world. Still, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning.”

“Hey, I’m just looking out for you,” Jason said, pulling away, popping up the dial of his Omnitrix. “Now... I have a Plant scan I have to try out and name.”

“Well, have fun with that,” Vash said with a sigh as he silently agreed with Chrysalis about Jason being a killjoy. “By the way, I’m almost done with the metal so we can finish up this power regulator whenever you’re ready.”

“Well, let’s get on with that first,” he said, shifting back into Grey Matter. He hopped up onto his table and grabbed whatever he had been working on, jumping over to Starswirl and Clover. “Just waitin’ on you,” he said, looking at Vash.

“Alright, don’t get your tiny panties in a twist,” Vash told him as he put the finishing touches on the metal and held it out for him. “Now do your thing. I’m curious on how this is going to turn out.”

He gave a little smirk, starting to put it all together, his hands a blur. “Alright, it’s done,” he said, holding up a crystal studded arm band, “Now let me see your arm.”

Vash did as he asked and held out his right arm for Jason to see. “So, this will help me prevent… that from happening?”

“Yup,” he said, jumping up onto Vash’s arm, attaching the ring above his elbow. “See, when you power up the arm, the crystals will absorb it and activate the dampening spell inside them, preventing any more energy from gathering. You may need to replace the crystals at some point but I don’t think Swirl over there would mind.”

“Of course not,” Starswirl said with a nod. “If this will truly help Vash then I’d be more than happy to offer up my assistance. Though, may I ask why are making something like this for Vash? He has no magic that one would normally need a dampening spell like this.”

“You want to tell him?” Jason asked, looking up at me, making some more adjustments to the band.

Vash turned to Starswirl with a smile, “If this works like it’s supposed to, then you won’t ever have to find out. Now, please don’t tell Celestia and Luna about this. I don’t want to worry them over what should be nothing.”

Starswirl didn’t seem to like that answer, but he accepted it and gave a slight nod.

“That should do it,” Jason said, jumping to the floor and reverting to normal. “Well, anything else you need any help with?”

“No,” Vash said as he looked over the band. “The castle is finished and things have been pretty quiet ever since we defeated Discord. Actually, you could explain that token thing now. That sounded like it was important.”

“Every Displaced has a token, it lets other Displaced summon us. This includes guys who decided to become monsters and psychopaths,” Jason started. “We each make our token out of something that represents us, mine is a Unitrix core.”

Vash reached into his pocket and pulled out one of his bullets. “Will this work?”

“Anything will work.”

“Okay, so what am I supposed to do now? Is there like a magic word or something to make it work?”

“Just focus on it and make a phrase. Something like your mission statement,” Jason explained, “And don’t make it something stupid like Wade, his phrase is just pathetic.”

Vash grinned at him. “I make no promises,” he said before starting on his message. “I am Vash the Stampede. I am a hunter of peace. If you fight to defend peace and the lives of others then I will be more than willing to help. Just call on me and together we will create… LOVE AND PEACE!” Vash cried as he struck a pose. With the message finished, he turned to Jason with a goofy smile. “How was that?”

“A lot better than Wade’s,” Jason said with a smirk, “Now we just have to send that out into the multiverse.”

“And how do we do that?”

“I’m going to change into Hodgepodge, for the love of Yggdrasil do not put my ass in stone,” he said, shifting into an almost exact copy of Discord, though his eyes were green.

“Hi!” Hodgepodge said with a big grin, taking Vash’s hand and shaking it vigorously.

Vash didn’t seem very phased, shaking his hand.. “I’m guessing your personality changes with some of your forms, huh?” he asked curiously.

“Nope!” he said with a laugh, “I’m an entirely separate person! He needs someone to help him run Alien X so the watch created me! Anyway, we have to get that token of yours out there or you’ll only be able to do incoming crossovers.”

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing you could comprehend,” he said, grabbing the token and looking it over. “Not bad.” He drew his lion paw back before punching the air, which shattered and revealed a black abyss behind it. He flung the bullet through the hole, “Bah! I was aiming for a screwball, not a sidewinder,” he pouted, crossing his arms.

“I think you already have enough of a screwball in that head of yours.” Vash said with a chuckle.

“Oh hush, you,” he snorted, flicking Vash’s head. “Don’t incur the wrath of the meme god.”

This just caused Vash’s grin to widen. “Oh please, I bet you skip leg day.”

“Do you even lift bro?” he asked, narrowing his eyes.

Vash narrowed his eyes at the draconequus as well and the two continued to stare one another down for a while. He burst out laughing and doubled over, then looked up at Hodgepodge with a grin.

“Heh,” he laughed, giving a smile in return, “You’re alright, Mr. Stampede. Now we have a Plant form to name, wanna help?”

He picked himself up and scratched his chin in thought. “Hmm, well the only two were named Vash and Knives. So maybe something weapon based like Knives’ name would work?”

“Actually, there were more in the manga, Domina, Telsa and uh... give me a moment..” he said, pulling out a copy of the Trigun manga. He skimmed through a few pages, “Ah, it was Chronica.” he said, tossing the book aside, which exploded into snow.

“Okay, so Telsa sounds similar to Tesla who was a famous scientist and inventor who dealt with electricity. And considering Plant is another term for places that make energy maybe something dealing with an inventor or energy could work?”

“Hmm... hows about Gram?” he asked, tapping his chin.

“I like it, it’s short, and is based off of someone who changed the world,” Vash said with a thumbs up. “Now I’m kind of curious what this Plant form looks like. I mean, it is based off of my DNA after all,” he finished with a chuckle.

“Let’s see, shall we?” he asked, tapping the Omnitrix and shifting forms again. Standing there was a young man with blonde hair, decked out in a green body suit.

“Well now,” he spoke with the voice of Clint Eastwood. “This is something.” He flexed his fingers, looking himself over. “Not very imaginative with the clothes however.”

I’ve got to try something,’ Vash thought. He reached out with his mind to see if Jason’s new form had a telepathic link like Vash and Knives had. ‘Gram, can you hear me, or can I make jokes about you and not get you angry? Starting with the fact that your new form isn’t even half as handsome as I am.

Don’t make me shift into my Mewtwo form, Vash,’ Jason said, crossing his arms and giving an unamused look.

Hi Vash!’ Hodgepodge called over the link.

Vash beamed at this discovery. ‘This is so cool, do you think you have the telekinesis like Knives? Or no, considering there’s no canonical instance of Vash himself using it? Oh, and hi Hodgepodge, how did you get on this frequency?

We all share the same mind ya tit!’ an irritated British voice responded.

Hey, there’s no need to use something so beautiful as an insult. Also, which form is that? And why is it so British?

“Thats Hughes,” Jason said, shaking his head. “I think its time we got going Vash, me and Chrysalis have to have a frank talk about her decision to invade a town.” He tapped the Omnitrix, returning to normal.

“Okay, it was nice meeting you, and thanks for everything,” Vash said as he extended a hand for him to shake. “If you ever want my help with anything, just call me. I’m a full-fledged Displaced after all.”

“I’m not leaving right this moment, I still have to collect Chrissy,” Jason said with a laugh, taking his hand anyway. “Shall we?” he asked, giving it a shake.

“Way to ruin the moment ya big killjoy. Fine, let’s go find your wife so you can get the hell out of my dimension,” Vash told him, giving him good natured smirk.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said, moving toward the exit, “Nice meeting you two,” he called to Starswirl and Clover.

They waved back and said their goodbyes. When the pair arrived back in the library, they found that Chrysalis had shifted into pony Luna and was trying to get a rise out of the two sisters.

“You two are no fun,” Chrysalis said with a snort, reverting to her normal form in a burst of green flame. “Oh hey, Jay.” She trotted over to her husband, giving him a nuzzle.

“Don’t think I’m not still mad at you,” he said, stroking her mane. “Well... it was fun.”

“Yeah, it was. Like I said earlier, thanks for everything. It was nice meeting the both of you. And hey, maybe I’ll meet your counterpart, Chrysalis,” Vash suggested with a grin.

Jason moved over to Celestia, taking a quick scan, “Some advice Celestia? Make peace with the Changelings as soon as you possibly can, it’ll do wonders for both your kingdoms. Also, don’t screw up Sunset.”

“We will be sure to follow that first bit of advice, but who is this Sunset of which thou speakest? Or art thou insinuating that we cannot do our job with the sun?” she asked with a glare.

“I’m not insinuating that you suck at your job, what I’m telling you is that, one day you’ll meet a filly named Sunset. You’ll know her, don’t screw her up,” he said cryptically before turning to me. “To get us out of your hair, all ya gotta do is say, ‘Jason, our contract is complete.’” He put his arm around Chrysalis, looking at Vash.

“Jason, our contract is complete. Now get out and stay out,” Vash said with a big smirk.

Jason smirked back before he and Chrysalis vanished in a flash of light, returning to the Everfree castle. “Okay Chrissy, we have to...” he started, blinking as she ran out of the throne room, moving as fast as her legs could take her. “The hell?” he asked before following her, seeing her duck into one of the side rooms. The guards at the door gave him an unsure look before allowing him inside. He froze, staring at Chrysalis, who was in the process of what looked like laying an egg.

“You know I was trying to keep this as a surprise but uh... surprise!” she said, giving him a smile. “You’re a father!”

He just stared at her before sighing. “And now I can’t be mad at you, god damnit.”

She just smiled, continuing to lay eggs as he muttered about how insane she was.