• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,889 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,889

Ghosts And Nightmares

Author's Note:

This is a crossover with Swimmingdalek89s story, Der Azurblaue Ritter des Betrügers, found here: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/234349/der-azurblaue-ritter-des-betrgers spoiler warning I suppose.

“Ugh, the cold sucks.” Rainbow Dash shivered as Jason led them into the tundra surrounding the Empire.

“Suck it up Dash,” Jason said with a snort, brushing some hair out of his face. “You could’ve stayed behind with Fluttershy and Rarity,” he said, looking over his shoulder.

“I look pregnant to you?” she asked with a huff.

“Than stop yer belly aching,” Applejack said with a roll of her eyes. “Ain’t like we haven’t gone anywhere cold before.” Currently, the small group, consisting of Jason, Dash, Applejack, Shining Armor, Twilight and Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy, who was due at any time, was staying back at the palace while the only recently pregnant Rarity had decided to stay behind and shop for the baby, much to Chrysalis’ irritation.

“Hold up,” Jason said, kneeling down. He frowned, watching as something moved about in the snow. “The hell is that?” he asked, reaching out for it.

Hello!” The snow burst, and from it, a small crimson creature, shaped roughly like a shrimp, with a single eye and a large crab claw, stared deeply at the jotun.

“Uh... hi,” he said, looking at it, while the others jumped back. He held his hand up, seeing Shining was about to blast the thing. “What are you doing out here?”

I dunno! I just woke up here! What’s your name?” The creature crawled forwards, reaching out to Jason like a child would its parent.

“My name is Jason,” he said, scooping the creature up, holding it at eye level.

Hi, Jason! You wanna meet my friends?” The creature’s eye shined with childish innocence, but it still felt off.

“Uh... ok?” he asked, looking at the others, nodding at them to be ready for anything.

Okay! I’ll call them right now!” The creature’s eye glowed, and from it a torrent of crimson energy flowed out, which formed into a large, intricate circle, filled with various runes and magic symbols. The circle glowed again, and it shot a pillar of scarlet light into the sky. It glowed with power, shaking the area, displacing the snow.

“Every time with you Jay!” Shining shouted as he threw up a shield over the group, giving the jotun a glare. “Trouble just follows you, you know that?”

“Hey, its not my fault!” Jason argued. Pulling his sword out, he watched the pillar closely.

From the pillar of light, a tall, humanoid shadow formed. Around it, five more smaller shapes appeared. The tall one stepped forwards, and the light disappeared. “Who has summoned... the Azure Nightmare?

Coated in dark blue armor, with bat wings upon the helmet and a horn that somehow glowed with red energy. Its right arm was much larger than the left, and seemed to be coated in chitin.

“Oh great, Nightmare,” Jason said with a groan. “Please for the love of Yggdrasil tell me you’re not insane, because I really don’t want to get involved with another crazed Displaced.”

“Insane?” The armored knight’s voice lost its evil echo instantly. “I’m not insane. Well, I’m pretty sure I’m not, but considering how many creatures that crawl out of the Void that I’ve dealt with first hand... Maybe.” He shrugged, and took a dramatic bow. “So... Who do I have the honor of addressing?”

“I’m Jason Hughes, prince of Valor. I’m going to assume you already know my companions. You can drop the shield, Shiny,” Jason said, looking back at the stallion. Shining gave one glance at Nightmare before dropping the shield, though he stayed on alert.

“Yeah... Uhm... Let’s see...” He rubbed his chin, and pointed at Dash, “I recognize you, just not the artificial limbs... Not gonna ask, I know better. I think I know you...” He turned to Applejack. “Yeah, that’s right! The farm girl.” He turned to Shining Armor, “I... I think... Oh, yeah! The moron that got blindsided by dæmon harpies! HAH! That was a laugh!”

“I’m Pinkie Pie!” said party mare shouted, suddenly on Nightmare’s shoulders, “Do you like cake? I bet you like Devil’s cake!”

“GAH! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!” The knight tumbled about, grabbing at the pink party pony latched to his shoulders. She hopped off, and he continued to swing, quickly losing his balance and falling on the ground. “Mmph mmph mmph-hmmph.”

“Well, that’s rather rude! You’re not even going to introduce us?” The group turns to the new voice, and sees five young human girls. Each of them wear a different outfit with a color scheme matching their hair and eyes. Yellow, blue, red, pink, and a black-haired one with a purple outfit.

“Huh, actual fairies,” Jason said, kneeling down, looking the girls over.

“Fairies? Boy, you got the wrong idea here.” The red haired one sneered and shoved him aside. She walked over to the fallen knight, “Hey. You... you alright there?” She continued to poke and mock him.

“Mmph mmph mph mmph mmph.”

She leaned in closer, “Whazzat? Can’t hear you.”

The knight pulled his head out and grabbed her by the neck. “I SAID IF YA DON’T QUIT POKING ME I’M GONNA THROW YOU BACK TO NEW YORK WHERE YOU CAME FROM! CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YA?”

The redhead poked the inside of her ear. “Yeah, yeah. I hear ya. Can ya put me down, now?”

“Wait, you’re telling me a bunch of kids got displaced?” Dash asked, raising her eyebrow. “That’s just messed up.”

The blonde one smirked. “We’re just way older than you think. Honestly we’re all at least 20-something. The forms we were given are just... smaller than we’re used to.” She gave herself a once-over, still smiling.

“So... you got younger?” Jason asked, getting to his feet, brushing himself off. “Not the weirdest I’ve heard.” He cracked his back, putting his sword away. “I mean, look at my life.”

Nightmare dropped the redhead in the snow. “Boy, whatever you claim to have seen, I bet you that I have seen ten times worse. And that’s before I was Displaced.”

“Ah-hem? Still not going to be a gentleman, I see...”

“Bite me. Wait, don’t. Er, anyways... These are my companions. The redhead is Kyoko. Blonde is Mami. Bluenette is Sayaka. Pink is Madoka. Black is Homura. Don’t make any innuendos around them, they’ll jump on it. In more ways than one.”

“Yeah, I’m happily married. And don’t tell me you’ve seen worse until you and your timeline get erased from existence. That shit was not fun,” Jason said, crossing his arms. “Fucking Vilgax.”

“I still don’t believe you on that,” Twilight said, giving him a look.

“I don’t care what you believe, it happened and let me tell you, getting erased fucking hurts.” Jason glared at her, causing her to roll her eyes. “Next time I see Vilgax I’m going to murder him.”

“That’s about the four hundred billionth promise to slaughter someone I’ve heard.” Nightmare tilted his head. “Care to make number four billion and one?”

“Can we get back on topic please?” Shining asked with a sigh, shaking his head, “Are all of you Displaced insane?”

“I dunno, probably,” Jason said with a shrug, “Anyway, since you're here, wanna help out?” Jason asked the newcomers, looking them over.

Nightmare shrugged, and swung his sword around. The blade’s fleshy form glowed and pulsed before turning into a shortsword and being sheathed on the knight’s hip. “Why not? What do you require of us, Your Highness?” He entered a mock bow, smiling all the way.

“Don’t do that.” Jason glared. “Anyway, Discord picked up some weird time-space nonsense and since I’m the de facto problem solver, I got sent to check it out.”

“We’re afraid it might be some cult trying to resurrect Sombra,” Shining added, adjusting his scarf.

“Can we just get moving?” Dash asked, shivering rather heavily. “I want to get there before I’m turned into a pegasicle.”

“Ow, that pun really hurt,” Pinkie said, rubbing her head with a frown, causing Dash to glare at her.

Nightmare scowled. “I have quite a bit of beef with Sombra, or at least my incarnation of him. I would be glad to assist you...” His sword rattled in its sheath, and the sound of an angered hissing echoed through the tundra.

Kyoko took a bite of an apple, before tossing it aside. “Let’s do this.” The other four nodded.

Nightmare looked to Jason. “Well, it looks like my ilk are more than ready to assist you. Lead the way, Jason.”

“It’s just up this way,” Jason said, pushing past the others, letting his hair blow in the cold air.

“You know, I’m rather jealous he’s so resistant to the cold,” Twilight admitted to the others as they trotted after Jason, keeping an eye out for any trouble.

Nightmare shrugged. “I’m a dæmon. We’re easily adaptable to temperature extremes. I’m also an accomplished mage. Altering my own internal body heat isn’t much of an issue.”

The five girls did the same. Mami wiped snow off her skirt, “We’re... for lack of a more precise term, liches. We can cut off our sense of feeling if we need. Temperature’s not much of a problem for us either.”

“Jason’s a jotun, he doesn’t even feel the cold, at least, I don’t think so. I’ve never really asked,” Twilight said, tapping her chin, “I’ll have to ask him about it later.”

“Wait, he’s a WHAT?” Nightmare stopped, and his hand flew to his sword’s grip. “You have exactly ten seconds to explain why I’m following a jotun.

They all just blinked, looking at him, “What the hay’s up with you?” Dash asked, looking at him like he was crazy.

Last time I was in the vicinity of a jotun, it was during a Ragnarok. I’m NOT moving an inch until I hear why a member of a supposedly extinct species is right in front of me.” He unsheathed the blade slightly, and his entire form became engulfed in crimson magic.

“Ragnarok already happened.” Jason stopped, looking over his shoulder. “This Equestria is Asgard millions of years later. I’m one of the four remaining jotun, the others are my sister, my mother and my grandmother Hel. I was raised on Earth, or Midgard and only recently found out I was a jotun a few months back.”

I KNOW Ragnarok already happened. I just said that I was there. Now, how in the nine hells did you survive? Wait, your grandmother is WHO?” His aura faded, and his murderous glare turned to one of confusion.

“Hel, goddess of death,” Jason said, raising his eyebrow. “She’s rather... eccentric...”

“I know who Hel is, but YOU’RE HER GRANDSON?” Nightmare let go of his blade. “Oh, by Nyarlathotep, I’m so freaking dead for this. I just threatened a descendant of one of the last members of the Norse pantheon... OH, PLEASE FORGIVE ME!” He dropped to his knees... and began to beg. “I’M SORRY! I’M SO SORRY! I WAS COMPLETELY UNAWARE! I BEG FORGIVENESS OF THEE! PLEASE!”

They all just stared at him, rather confused by the sudden change of emotions. “Eh, you're fine, not something I flaunt. You want to meet her later?” he asked with a smirk.

“I don’t think you quite get it. After the Ragnarok Wars, as the event is collectively called, the Norse pantheon is reduced to basically Hel and a few others. I’m not sure who... but frankly, anyone or anything related to them is technically on the ‘endangered deity’ list. Threatening you is equivalent to skinning about a dozen elephants.” Nightmare shuddered, “And if my masters get wind of it... I’m dead.”

The redheaded girl punched him in the arm. “Calm the frick down, man! Yer such a worrywart, y’know that? I mean, c’mon. What, ya think that just because some Viking gods are dead, threatening their kids is gonna put you on the wanted list?”

Nightmare turned to her, “Basically. Yes. The Norse pantheon is almost nonexistent. Any surviving members SHOULD be kept in a secured location, or at least get some brand of survivor’s benefits.”

“You realize this stuff doesn’t carry between universes right? There are an infinite number of them where the Aesir are still alive,” Jason said, crossing his arms.

“I know that. My bosses literally RUN a fair portion of those universes. But this section of reality has practically none left. And we obviously can’t just send a few over for the sake of any kind of breeding programs... ew... So, long story short, we have to keep what’s alive here... well, alive. Otherwise, you’ll suffer so much you’ll WISH you were suffering a fate worse than death.”

“That’s why I’m glad I have no boss,” Hel said, having arrived unnoticed, “Hello all. I couldn’t help but notice my name was coming up a lot.”

“What, do you just spy on me all day?” Jason asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Only between books,” Hel said with a smile, causing the young man to groan in annoyance.

Nightmare, however, dropped to his knee, “Lady Hel! I am truly sorry for my brashness!”

“Why are you kneeling?” Hel asked, looking rather amused by the daemon.

“I acted without thinking, and nearly drew my blade against your descendant. I truly apologize, Lady Hel.” Nightmare dipped his head further down, not noticing Sayaka sneaking up behind him.

*BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPP*

“GAH! WHAT THE HELL, SAYAKA?” Nightmare fell over, grabbing at his ears. “SON OF A- GYAGH! THAT HURT, DAMNIT!”

“You meet the most interesting people Corypheus,” Hel said with a laugh, watching the two in amusement. “I should visit more often.”

“Don’t you have a job to do?” Applejack questioned, raising her eyebrow.

“Eh, watching the dead gets boring, plus they just sleep anyway,” Hel said waving her hand dismissively.

“So wait, death is like a dream?” Pinkie asked, blinking a few times.

“Oh yes, all the dead souls sleep and share a collective dream,” Hel explained. “Cuts down on making something to please everyone, they can just dream up what they want.”

Nightmare nodded. “Yep. Seen it. Very interesting architecture, I must add. For reference, no. I didn’t die. I’ve never died. Let’s just say it was a very interesting field trip. Can we get on with our job? Which is hunting down Cult of the End Times number four-quintillion and sixty eight?”

“Oh those silly cults always amuse me, the next Ragnarok won't happen for several billion years,” Hel said with a bit of a laugh. “Well you have fun, I’ve got to get back before Sigrun punches my father in the face.” She smiled, sinking back into the shadows.

Nightmare stared at the spot where she disappeared from. “...Well, that happened. We gonna move on?”

“No, we’re gonna stand here until Rarity pushes her kid out,” Dash said with a roll of her eyes. “Of course we are!”

“Very good, then. ONWARD!” He pointed his sword out at the tundra. “Lead the way, brave jotun!”

“Yeah... ‘interesting people’,” Jason said with a roll of his eyes before resuming his march into the tundra. After a few more minutes of travel, they came across a cliff, with a cave sealed with a green colored magic barrier.

Nightmare cricked his neck. “Alright, step back. I got this.” He raised his large claw, and a pulse of red energy seeped into the barrier. In only a moment, the barrier completely dissipated into dust. “What’d I tell ya?”

Mami peered in, “It’s... pretty dark in there. Can’t tell what’s what, really.”

Nightmare rolled his eyes, and held his claw out. A red glow emerged from the palm, and from it, a small form appeared, in the shape of a humanoid being with butterfly wings.

“Airy is here to SAVE THE DAY!” The small creature laughs, and poses dramatically.

“Did you just summon Navi?” Jason asked, staring at the creature.

“Er... no. This is Airy, a Fae Sirenis. Her people, though small, are very capable. They’re natural magicians, and can influence nature through song. They also make damn good flashlights.” Nightmare held the Fae by her neck, and shook her for a moment. She began to glow, casting a pure white light over the cave’s entrance.

Jason reached over, the Omnitrix chirping as it scanned Airy. “Well... never thought I’d get a fae scan...”

Nightmare looked to Airy, and his companions, who all began to giggle lightly.

“What?” Jason asked, looking at them.

“Oh, nothing. Just an inside joke. You wanna test that scan of yours out now? Or later?”

“Let’s try it now,” he said, dialing it into the Omnitrix before pressing it down, shifting forms. “Well, this is different,” he said, his voice distinctly female. He looked himself over, humming softly.

Mami tugged on Nightmare’s arm. “Is he really that dense?”

He whispered back, “Give him a minute...”

“Female only species huh?” Jason asked, sounding rather amused than anything else.

The seven collectively responded with, “...wot.”

Airy floated over to Jason, “You’re... not... concerned or anything? You kinda just lost your... important parts.”

Jason just laughed, shaking his head. “I married Chrysalis, I spend most nights engaged in freaky shapeshifter sex, this is nothing.”

The five girls shifted slightly. Nightmare looked to them. “Oh, brother. Look what you’ve done. You’ve given them ideas. A LOT of ideas. Y’all may wanna tighten up your pants.”

“But we don’t wear pants,” Pinkie pointed out.

“Point still stands. Well, Jason, you mind scouting ahead?”

“Nope!” he said chipperly, looking around as he started to glide further into the cave.

The rest of the group followed close behind. Nightmare’s sword grew out to full size, and the eye in the middle looked around furiously.

“I know, I know... This can’t be right...” Nightmare mumbled to himself, petting the blade with his free hand.

“Thats just creepy,” Applejack said with a shudder, shaking her head.

Yer face is creepier, horse lady.” The blade’s eye turned to the mare, and gave off a glow.

“And it talks,” Dash said with a shudder shaking her head.

“Hm... thats odd,” Twilight said, her horn glowing, “I’m picking up traces of time magic.”

Nightmare raised his blade, “Yeah... me too... But there’s something else... I can smell it... I smell...” A dark chuckle, “I smell souls.” The warrior charged forth, screaming at the top of his lungs.

BLOOD! DARKNESS! GYAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

“There goes the element of surprise...” Kyoko muttered, summoning a spear into her hands.

“Wait!” Twilight shouted, chasing after them.

“Ah hell!” Jason cursed, reverting to normal before chasing after Twilight and Nightmare, the others on his heels.

I WILL FILL THESE HALLS WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES! YES! GIVE ME YOUR SOULS!” Suddenly, the laughing and maniacal roaring stopped. “What is this? Is this really what I came across worlds for? BAH! One measly equine? This is by no means worthy of my ti- OOF!

Anyone present would be able to see how firmly Nightmare suddenly became lodged in the wall next to the team. “Ow... Think you’re funny, do ya? YOU DARE TO-

“Stay... away...”

Mami generated a musket. “Sorry, bub. Not an option. Come out with your h- OUCH!” A blast of magic silenced the magical girl, and she found herself lodged in the floor.

A very tired looking gray unicorn stood in the center of the room, various pieces of machinery scattered around, Sombra’s horn in one of them. “We ordered thee... to stay away,” he said, shaking his head a little, looking like he was about to drop from exhaustion.

“Oi, pay attention.” Homura appeared by the unicorn’s side, with a handgun cocked at his head. “One wrong move, and the new carpet style will be ‘pony brain’.” Her thumb pulled back the hammer, and its loud *CLICK* echoed in the room.

Twilight came barreling into the room panting. She looked around, her eyes going wide as she spotted the unicorn. “Don’t hurt him!” she shouted, blasting Homura away, galloping over to the startled stallion.

“GAH! What’re you doing?”

“This is Prince Grey Ghost!” Twilight pointed at the stallion, who looked at her warily. “He’s Luna’s son!”

“Didn’t see that coming,” Dash said as she glided into the room, the others following in afterwards.

“Wait, When did Luna have another kid?” Jason asked, looking at Grey Ghost rather suspiciously.

“He’s uh... Sombra’s son as well,” Twilight said a little sheepishly.

Kyoko raised her spear. “So... do I stab ‘im?”

Sayaka used her saber to lower Kyoko’s spear. “Pretty sure we don’t need to... I think. On second thought, let’s get a few extra guns from Homura.”

“You can’t hurt him!” Twilight shouted, lighting her horn up, taking a defensive stance in front of Grey.

“Twily... you sure this is a good idea?” Shining asked, looking rather unsure.

“I’m not going to let them hurt him just because of who is father is,” Twilight snorted, glaring at the girls.

“Well if Twi say’s he’s okay, he’s okay!” Pinkie declared, trotting happily up to the prince, who looked, very, very lost.

“Hell, not like I haven’t made questionable friends,” Jason said, moving over to Twilight with Dash and Applejack in tow.

Shining just sighed, trotting after them. “Please don’t make me regret this Twily.”

Mami pulled her head from the rock. “I’d like the option that doesn’t involve getting my head bashed in.”

Nightmare groaned. “That... is a fantastic idea, Mami... I think... I might need to sleep on it... Guh.” The daemon knight promptly drifted into slumber.

“Lazy ass...” Homura walked over to the sleeping knight and fired her gun right next to his head.

AH! Homura! Don’t! Fucking! DO THAT!” he screamed, grabbing at the sides of his helmet. “MY EARS! AGH!”

“Can we focus please?” Jason asked, glaring at the two, “We still have no idea what the prince is...doing... aw crap...” he said, turning around to find that the prince had moved over to the horn, channeling some magic into it.

“Now can we kill him?” Madoka steadied her bow, staring at the grim unicorn.

YES! THIS IS ALL THE CONFIRMATION I NEED! COME, GREY GHOST! LET US PARTAKE... IN GLORIOUS COMBAT!” The daemon knight’s blade slammed into a magic barrier, which crumpled under the blade’s power.

Grey Ghost paid him no attention, pouring more magic into the horn until it glowed and released a pulse of magic that knocked them all off their feet. The sound of a foal crying filled the air and Jason stood up to find that the horn had been replaced with a squirming grey foal. Grey Ghost gave a shaky smile before collapsing, his body limp.

The newcomers spoke, again, in unison. “...Wot de fock?”

“I think he just... resurrected Sombra,” Dash said, getting up, shaking the dust off her coat like a dog.

“Aw! He’s a really cute foal!” Pinkie said, lifting little Sombra up, cradling him gently.

Nightmare stomped his way over, and levelled his blade at the foal. “I care not for what form this thing assumes. He is still an unforgivably cruel beast, and he shall be put down like one.” Nightmare raised Soul Edge, which stared down at the foal.

Hey, uh... partner? You might wanna cool yer jets a bit. This one’s... different.

The knight stopped, and looked his blade in the eye, “What do you mean?”

Well... His soul... Something about it... It’s just... off... Y’know? It’s not evil. I almost feel like it’s... painted over. Like there’s an old, ugly, cracked wall, and it has a fresh coat. I can still feel the evil hidden there, but... It’s like it’s just not there right now.

“What would you have me do, then?”

“How about we not kill the baby?” Jason asked, his sword at Nightmare’s throat.

“That’s a pretty good idea, man.” Mami levelled a musket at Jason’s head. “But can you put that down first? He’s kinda our ticket home.”

“Im pretty sure a musket can’t hurt me,” Jason said, giving her a flat look.

“How about we don’t find out, Jay,” Applejack said, looking at them with a frown. “Everypony just calm the hay down.”


Soul Edge clattered to the ground, “Oof!” Nightmare lowered his hand, and sighed. “Very well. You may feel free to do as you wish. I shan’t claim the life of a child, tyrant reincarnated or not.”

“Good,” Jason said, lowering his sword. “Now, what do we do with him?” he asked, gesturing to Grey Ghost, who was being tended to by Pinkie and Twilight.

“We take him to the Empire, he’s suffering from extreme magic exhaustion on top of normal physical exhaustion.” Twilight didn’t look up, checking the prince for any other wounds.

“Luna’s going to flip,” Dash muttered under her breath, looking from Sombra to Grey, an uncertain look on her face.

“We’ll have to keep this on the down low,” Shiny spoke up. “Faust knows the panic this will cause if the populace finds out about this.”

Fan-freaking-tastic, now can someone GET ME OFF THE GROUND HERE? It’s cold and hard and uncomfortable!” Nightmare responded by kicking the blade and spinning it through the air, letting it land in its sheath.

Never do that again.

“Don’t tell me what to do. Now, I assume we’re done here?” Nightmare turned to Jason, and handed him the foal from the ground.

“Yes, yes we are,” he said, cradling the shivering foal. “You ready to go?”

“Indeed we are. Ladies?” The five gathered around the knight, and a red magical circle inscribed itself into the ground. “I do believe our services here are completed. With this, I bid you adieu.” The circle sent an enormous crimson light into the sky, with the sound of rumbling and crashing overtaking everything else. When the light faded, the circle had melted the cave floor, and the light had made a perfectly circular hole in the rooftop.

“At least they left us an easy way out.”