• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,887 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,887

And Then There Was Jason.... Oh And Ben Too

Author's Note:

I would like to take this moment to dedicate this chapter to my father Robert. It's hard to put into words how I feel about him. Nothing bad I assure you but I was very young when he passed away, only a few months in fact, so I have no memories of him at all. My sadness comes not from loss but from knowing I'll have lived my life without ever hearing his voice, that I never got to bond with him and make memories together. The only time I'll ever get to see him is in pictures. Heh... sorry to get all sad on you but they say authors put a piece of themselves into their characters and I just realized how much I put into Jason. And no, my father did not die defending me from a mugger or anything dramatic like that. Thank you for taking the time out to read this dedication, those of you who read the authors notes any way. So enjoy the story!

Also... spoilers for Ten Against One

Rocks: http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Rocks

Buzzshock: http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Buzzshock

Ultimate Echo Echo: http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Echo_Echo

Shocksquatch: http://ben10.wikia.com/wiki/Shocksquatch

Paradox stepped out of the portal once more and paused to look around. “Perfect, right on time,” he spoke as the various Bens followed him through. He and Watchless Ben had successfully rebooted Ben Prime’s timeline and had gathered up the various Bens, though now they had to help two others... “Welcome to Midgard, home of Jason Hughes,” he told the little group. They were in what looked like an alley on a rather cold night.

“Should have brought a jacket,” Gwen said with a shiver, hugging herself and rubbing her arms in an attempt to get warm.

“We’re here to reboot Jason’s timeline, in a time where Jason wasn’t his name.” Paradox moved up to the mouth of the alley, snow crunching under his boots. “And unlike Ben Prime’s timeline... this won’t be pretty.” He turned back to them, his face grave. “How do you all feel about taking a life?”

“Wait, what?!” they all shouted.

“Wh-what do you mean take a life?!” asked Watchless Ben.

“Do you see that young family there?” Paradox asked, pointing across the street. A young man and woman were walking home from the park. A small child, no older than three, sat upon the man’s shoulders.

“What about ‘em?” asked Ben 23. “They look like an ordinary family, well, without their phones at least.”

“That’s Jason, or as he is known at the moment, Corypheus, and his parents. We have to make sure his father dies tonight,” Paradox said, closing his eyes.

“T-there has to be some other way!” Gwen said shaking her head.”There’s always another way!”

“I’m sorry, young Gwendolyn, but sometimes there is no other way.” Paradox started. “If this event doesn’t occur, Jason will not grow into the man he was and we simply cannot allow that.”

“B-but I can’t kill anyone! I’m famous! The public will destroy me!”

“I’ll do it,” 10k said, stepping forward. “This isn’t a responsibility any of you should carry.” Any further debate was cut off as the sound of yelling could be heard.

“It has begun.” Paradox said darkly, lowering his head a little. “I am truly sorry that you all have to be here...”

“You shouldn’t watch this,” 10k said. Darting out of the alley, he ducked behind a car to watch for his moment.

“Heathens like you are to be purged from this world!” a rather crazed looking man yelled, aiming a pistol at Toya. Several others were behind him, each holding a gun.

“Terra,” Toya said softly, not looking over his shoulder. “Get Cory out of here.”

“I’m not going to leave you,” Terra said, hugging a rather terrified Jason to her chest.

“Terra, trust me,” he gave her a strained smile. “I’ll be alright.”

“Liar...” Terra said quietly before fleeing as fast she could. In an instant Toya sprung forward, his left arm morphing into a blade, which he stabbed into the pistol-wielding zealot’s neck. The others opened fire, while Toya used the dead one’s body as a meat shield.

“Sorry about this...” 10k said, shaking his head. He decided against using a fusion, instead going with Rocks. He put his hand on the ground, causing a small tremor to occur. The vibrations caused Toya to lose his footing, giving his attackers an opening. They took it, and in a hail of gunfire, Toya lost his life. His body fell to the snow, which was soon dyed red with his blood.

“We still have more to do...” Paradox said as a quiet 10k rejoined them. “Things still need be put right that once went wrong.”

“This isn’t enough?” Gwen asked, looking up for her huddled position, hands over her ears and tears running down her face.

“...Did we do the right thing?” 23 asked.

“Yes we did,” Paradox said with a sigh. “But Jason still needs a little help.” He opened his watch and suddenly they all found themselves on a roof. Down below, a sobbing Terra was clutching an equally sobbing Jason close to her. “We... have to separate them.”

Watchless Ben glared at Paradox. “Haven’t we destroyed their family enough?”

“Ben,” Paradox said, looking at Watchless with a look that verged on tears. “Life is cruel sometimes, and this is how Jason’s life is supposed to go. If we don’t do this Jason will never be the man he should be, who he’s supposed to be.”

“Doesn’t mean we have to like it,” 23 said with his arms crossed, looking away.

“And you shouldn’t, when you start to, you’re already too far gone,” Paradox said, watching the scene below.

“I love you Cory,” Terra said, placing Jason on the ground. She stepped back and began to charge up a spell.

“M-mommy?” he asked looking up at her with tear stained eyes.

“Now, we have to disrupt the teleportation spell,” Paradox said, with a hard voice. “I recommend one of you use Buzzshock.”

Watchless looked down upon the grieving mother, sighing as he lifted up his watch. “Let’s just get this over with.” He pressed down on the core and transformed into the living battery that is Buzzshock. He began to rub his hands together at a rapid pace, building up an enormous amount of static electricity. “Here goes nothing,” Watchless said as he released the electricity into the air above Terra.

“What?” Terra exclaimed as the spell went haywire. She couldn’t stop it as it sent Jason to an unknown location. She stared on in shock, falling to her knees, tears streaking down her face.

“Thankfully the hard part is over,” Paradox said as the group found themselves in a quiet little town, the only noise in the air was from Jason, who was laying in the snow, crying.

“What? We gotta make sure he gets frostbite?” Gwen asked rather bitterly.

“No, we just have to make sure he’s given to the right people.” he said, walking over to the crying child and picking him up.

“The right people?” asked 23.

“Well, maybe ‘right people’ isn’t the word I would use to describe them,” Paradox said as he walked over to a small house. He placed the child on the doorstep, giving a knock. He vanished just as a woman answered.

“Oh, you precious little thing,” she said, lifting Jason up. “Who left you here, hmm?” she asked as she took him inside, shutting the door behind her.

Watchless sighed. “At least that’s over.”

“Yes...” Paradox said, putting his hand on Watchless’ shoulder. “Now lets go collect Mr. Hughes and set Ben’s timeline right.”


“Okay... this is just weird.” Jason said as he looked at the group of assembled Tennysons, raising his eyebrow. Currently they were in the void, and for some reason none of them would look him in the eyes.

“Well?” Ben 23 asked his fellows. “Do we tell him or not? The drama is eating me!”

“Tell me what?” Jason asked, raising his eyebrow, “And who the hell are you guys anyway?”

Watchless stepped forward. “We’re mostly different Ben Tennysons and one Gwen from throughout the multiverse. We need your help to stop Eon and Vilgax from destroying us all.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Jason asked, running his hand down his face. “Alright, I’m up for it, but what was that about telling me something?”

“That’s all on you, dude,” 23 said looking at Ben 10k.

“We uh...” 10k started before Paradox cut him off.

“We had to set your timeline right Jason, by making sure you were separated from your family.”

Jason stared at him for a moment. “I expect you to give me all the details later,” Jason said, his emotions unreadable.

“We still have to set that other Ben’s universe right,” Gwen spoke up, having been very quiet.

“You mean my Ben?” Jason asked, looking at Paradox.

“Yes... sadly... we must take his parents’ lives as well to set it right,” Paradox said in a low voice.

“I’m not doing that,” Gwen said quickly, shaking her head. “Not again.”

“I’m not either!” 23 shouted. “I’m not gonna be your accomplice in murder, time-man!”

“There’s no way I could do it,” Watchless said solemnly. “Never again.”

“I’ll do it,” Jason said stepping forward. “I’ve made the sacrifice before and I’ll do it again if it helps my friend.”

“Thank you, Jason,” Paradox said, before whisking them off to their next gruesome task.


The group found themselves on a lone country road in the middle of the night. They could hear the crickets chirping from the corn fields all around them, not a soul around for miles in every direction. And the only light came from the crescent moon above them.

“Well this certainly isn’t horror-esque,” 23 quipped.

Jason said nothing, pulling out Gungnir. “Just say when, doc.”

“Are you sure this guy isn’t a serial killer?” Gwen asked, looking at Jason with wide eyes.

“Of course he isn’t,” Paradox said with chipper tone despite the circumstances. “He’s Jotun, there’s a difference.” He turned to Jason. “Jason, while this may be a difficult thing to do, it will also be most simplistic. All you need to do is to make sure that car,” he pointed off into the distance, a pair of headlights moving around erratically in the night, “hits that one.” In the opposite direction was another, much calmer car heading their way.

“What’s so special about these two cars?” asked Watchless.

“Because this is Ben’s beginnings. A tragic one rivaling Jason’s quite well.”

“We like to keep score, whose world gets more horrible,” Jason said with a dry chuckle. He waited for the cars to get closer before throwing the spear. Gungnir sailed through the air, piercing the drunk’s window. In a panic, he swerved into the other lane and slammed into the other car, the sounds of screeching metal filling the air.

Most of the Bens and Gwen turned away at the sight, leaving only Paradox, Jason, and 10k to watch the carnage unfold. After a moment, the others looked as well and were horrified by the sight. The two cars were both engulfed in flames, debris still scattering about. They could hear the screams of the people within, burning alive.

Then a single voice sounded out in the night... from the other side of the cars. “MOMMY!!! DADDY!!!”

They all looked over to see a little girl lying at the edge of the road, covered in dirt and blood bawling her eyes out at the crash.

“Now this is unexpected,” Paradox said, rubbing his chin. “I was not aware of a little girl being in the car.”

“Wait... shh...” Jason said, holding his hand up. “No way...” he said shaking his head. “Paradox... do you know Kat Shifter?”

“Personally, no, but I have heard of her. She’s a troublemaker that one, but she’s doing right nowadays, so I hear.”

“Thats her... she’s Ben’s sister... a fact that Hughes decided not to share until now,” he said with a glare. “Yeah, well, fuck you too, jackass.”

“Umm... who is he talking to?” Gwen asked, taking a step back from Jason.

“A mental construct within his mind conjured by your shared celestialsapien form,” Paradox answered. “Most intriguing of this turn of events. Too bad that Benjamin is still trapped within the flames.”

“Wait, he’s what?!” Watchless and 23 both looked at the car in horror.

“Then why are we just standing here?!” 23 shouted. “Somebody save him.”

“That won’t be necessary. Watch.”

And so they did. Deep inside the flames, a light began to shine, growing and growing until it blinded them all momentarily.

“And that’s that,” Paradox said with finality.

“What’s that?” Watchless asked. “What just happened?”

“Something wondrous for young Ten to discover soon enough,” Paradox said, checking his watch. “Almost time for us to go.”

Jason held his hand out, recalling Gungnir. The spear flew into his hand and from there he returned it to his cube. “Let’s go already.” he said, clearly unnerved by Kat’s crying. Pausing for a moment, he cast a Sleep spell on Kat. “Sleep well...” he said before following the others back into the void.


“Whoa!” Ben shouted as he popped into the Void not too far from the others. “Whowhatwherewhenwhy?!” He looked around at the assembled Bens (Ben Prime just now joining them), Jason, and Gwen with a blink. “Woah... Jason you sure do drag me into the craziest things.”

“Ben,” Jason said, taking his friend by the shoulders, looking into his eyes. “We... we have to talk after this okay? A serious talk... you... may hate me.”

“Hate you?” Ben asked with a look of confusion. “While I may not completely like you, Jason, I doubt I could hate you.”

“We’ll see,” Jason said, pulling away. He turned to address Paradox. “Do your magic, Prof.”

“Of course,” he chuckled, opening the portal. Nearly all of them went through it, though it closed before Watchless could.

“Wait! Paradox? Hello? Hello!” he shouted out into the nothingness. “I can’t believe they forgot me. Guess I’d just get in the way. I’m not a real hero, like the others.”

“Nonsense, Benjamin,” Paradox said, putting his hand on the boy’s shoulder. “You have proven that inside you,” he tapped the top of his cane against Watchless’ chest, “beats a heart most valiant.”

“Then why didn’t you take me with the others?”

“Meeting your counterpart Bens was one thing,” Paradox started, “Arriving along with them would have hopelessly garbled your timeline.”

“I don’t–”

“Get it?” Paradox cut in, looking at his arms. “No, I don’t imagine you do.” He gave Watchless a smirk. “Ready to join the fight?”


Vilgax smirked as he fired a final blast at Watchless, only for him to be pulled into a portal by Paradox. “Run from me for the rest of your life Ben Tennyson,” he started, “For at long last, the universe is once and truly mine.” He smirked, starting to laugh in triumph. The sound of a portal opening behind him filled the air, bringing his laugh to a quick end.

“Wrong, squidface!” Watchless said as he stepped through.

Vilgax spun around to see Watchless and Paradox step out of said portal. “Back so soon?” he asked sneering, “You should have stayed lost in time with that pretentious Paradox.” He started to approach Watchless, glaring at him.

“Stay back,” he warned Vilgax, displaying his Omnitrix.

“How thoughtful, you saved me an Omnitrix,” Vilgax said, coming to a stop. “Too bad you don’t even know how to use it!” He raised his arms up, slamming them into the ground with enough force to knock Watchless off his feet.

“I just finished a crash course.”

“So now you think you are a hero?” Vilgax questioned.

“I know I am! It’s Hero Time!” He pressed down the watch and transformed into Clockwork.

“A chronosapien!” Vilgax said in shock. ‘This shouldn’t be happening,’ he thought to himself, he had won already.

“Here goes nossing!” Watchless-Clockwork said as he began to twist the key on his head. There was a clicking within his golden form and his chest began to glow green. He leaned back and fired a massive green energy beam into the sky, which encompassed the entire planet. It began to shrink, and as it shrunk towards Watchless, all the Bens appeared from the dome. They were all a little delirious from the experience.

“That sucked...” Jason said, shaking his head.

“How?” Vilgax asked, turning to Watchless.

“Let me guess, chronosapien time bomb? Paradox was right; once I transformed, I could see the sotobro effect. Just figured I’d suck the ripple back in.”

Vilgax rushed at Watchless only to be tackled by Eon.

“Backstabber!” Eon shouted as he and Vilgax tumbled along the ground. He moved to stab Vilgax, only to be backhanded into the sky by Fourmungousaur.

“You ok, Ben?” Jason asked his fellow Displaced. “That was a weird experience, man.”

Ben jumped up from the ground where he had been laying with a smile and a “Whoo! What a rush! I haven’t felt like this since I had that heroin bag explode in my stomach back in ‘13!”

“I’m not gonna ask.” Jason said, rushing over to help Gwen, in the form of Wildvine, and 23, who were fighting off Benzzaro Frankenstrike. “Omnitrix, Nightshade!” he commanded, shifting into his Gengar form. He used Psychic to lift Benzarro up, tossing him into a building.

“Seriously?” Gwen asked, looking at Jason. “You give your aliens hero names?”

“No,” Jason said, his voice raspy, “I give them names because my Omnitrix is voice activated, it’s more for convenience.”

Ben just looked at Jason for a moment. “...yeah, not gonna ask how that’s possible, so!” Ben suddenly moved aside as Nega Ben jumped at him. He looked down at the emo teen with a smirk. “Nice try, kid. Ya gotta be better than that to beat me.”

“Whatever,” he said boredly, shrugging his shoulders. He stopped, watching as Ben Prime ran past them. Albedo (as Ultimate Echo Echo), Bad Ben (as Buzzshock), and Mad Ben all gave chase.

“Time for you guys to go!” Ben Prime said with a smirk before Bad Ben shocked him. “Ben!” he shouted, rushing toward 10k and Watchless.

“Yeah?” they both asked, turning to look at him.

“You’re still Clockwork,” 10k reminded Watchless with a smile.

Watchless looked at himself for a moment then ran forward a bit before letting out a massive energy blast. Ben Prime slid underneath the blast, letting the full brunt hit Albedo, Bad Ben, and Mad Ben. Clockwork then ran the beam over the others, taking Benzarro and Nega Ben (who simply didn’t care).

Eon stared in shock as the blast headed his way. “Noooo!!” he screamed as he was struck.

The Omnitrix timed out just after, returning Watchless to his normal state. Ben Prime gave him a thumbs up as he looked out at the result. “Are they all–?”

“Returned to the unsightly timelines that spawned them.” Paradox said with a nod as 10k sailed overhead.

“Tennysons!” Vilgax shouted, his voice full of rage.

Watchless stepped back momentarily, before smiling. He turned towards Ben Prime, taking off his Omnitrix and throwing it at his counterpart. Prime immediately slipped on the watch, locking it back in its true place.

The others decided to power up as well. Gwen activated Cannonbolt, Ben 10,000 crossed his arms and turned into Atomic X, while Ben 23 did a quick little wave motion with his arms before transforming into Electricyeti (Shocksquatch), pointing twin finger guns at the Displaced. Jason cracked his neck, slamming down on his Omnitrix, shifting into Razor. Ben quickly wiped his hand over his Omnitrix, sending the selector into a spiral before flicking back the screen and slamming down, turning into Emerald Streak. Ben Prime went with his iconic slamming of the watch, turning into Diamondhead.

All of them lined up, ready for action. Watchless pointed over his shoulder with a thumb, saying, “This one’s yours.”

“Got it!” Ben Prime said with a smile. Vilgax gave a snarl, charging at them in a blind rage. Prime surged forward in response, the two meeting head on as Diamondhead slammed his fist into Vilgax’s face. 23 went next, blasting him with a surge of electricity. Ben soared down from above, slamming his back hoof into Vilgax’s gut. Jason spun around, slamming his tail across Vilgax’s face. Gwen plowed into Vilgax, sending him flying back. 10k created small distortions, warping Vilgax’s body.

Vilgax let out a grunt of pain, falling to his hands and knees, rather injured from the beating. Gwen smirked, rolling up into a ball, spinning in place, 10k nodded to 23, who smirked, rubbing his hands together to build up a charge. He placed his hands on Gwen, who launched forward as though from an impromptu railgun. Prime ran ahead and slammed his hand into the ground, creating a diamond ramp for Gwen. She used it to sail into Vilgax, hitting him with enough force to rocket him out of the town.

10k folded out of existence only to reappear in Vilgax’s path. As squidface just about reached him, 10k put out his hand and flicked the warlord high, high into the air. On either side of Vilgax, Ben and Jason flew past and then slam kicked him towards the ground, breaking the sound barrier. The various Omnitrix wielders gathered around as Vilgax fell, hitting the ground hard enough to make a small crater.

As Vilgax feebly tried to get up, Prime turned to Watchless. “You’ve earned it.”

Watchless smiled before running at Vilgax. Just as the monster looked up, Watchless slammed his foot across his face with a “Kyaa!” Vilgax was knocked out instantly.

Watchless turned around to a chorus of Omnitrices timing out and Paradox nodding at him.

“Well that was fun, despite... some things.” Jason said, rubbing the back of his head.

“That was awesome!” Ben shouted, feeling really hyper.

“We’re done!” 10k announced. “I’ll take the alternate Bens back to their own realities.”

“Allow me,” Paradox said with a bow, opening a portal. As 10k passed Jason, their watches flashed a blue color.

“Fusion function acquired,” Jason’s Omnitrix chirped.

“Huh... I had no idea it could do that.” Jason said, staring at it. “Anyway, later Tennysons,” he said with a small wave. Ben rolled his eyes at Jason, before offering a two fingered salute to the passing Bens and Gwen. 10k, 23, and Gwen all disappeared with Paradox, leaving Ben, Prime, Watchless, and Jason with Vilgax.

“You people and your watches,” Ben said with a sigh, putting a hand to his head. “I’m getting too old for this.”

“Now you’re just quoting Star Wars.” Jason shook his head, putting his hands in his pockets.

“You two are strange, you know that?” Prime asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Heh, you try being us, kid, I doubt you’d last a month.”

“I’d give it a week,” Ben quipped.

“True, true,” Jason agreed, much to Prime’s annoyance.

“Say... I don’t suppose you’d share some of those scans of yours with me, would ya?” Prime asked with a hopeful smile.

“Not on your life Tennyson,” Jason said, shaking his head

“Sure,” Ben said with a shrug, surprising Jason. “I suppose it’s any young boy’s dream to become a griffin or a dragon.”

“Ugh fine,” Jason said, shaking his head. “If Ben’ll give them, I might as well.”

“Sweet!” Prime said, fist pumping. Prime and Ben put their watches side by side, both glowing green and announcing, “Database updated, new DNA available.”

“Well, here goes nothing.” Jason said, doing the same. “Database updated, evolution feature acquired, fusion feature acquired, new DNA available.”

“You just keep turning out to be and more awesome.” Jason said, looking at his Omnitrix with a smirk.

Ben rolled his eyes. “It’s just a watch, Jason. All it is is a tool, nothing more.”

“I’d rather praise it than have it turn on me if it becomes self-aware,” Jason said, shaking his head. “You ready to go?”

“I don’t know,” Ben said thoughtfully. “Kinda have a chance of a lifetime here. Meeting the actual Ben Tennyson. Even in all my years, I never thought this would happen.”

“Yeah, we did just fulfill every kid’s dream, we kicked Vilgax’s ass, hard.” Jason said, looking at the groaning alien.

“This ‘Equestria’ does keep sounding interesting,” Prime commented, looking thoughtful. “I might actually like to visit sometime.”

Ben actually smiled and tossed him his badge. “Just give me a call, Tennyson. I could use some help from the original in tracking down Fear one of these days.”

“I suppose you could stop by,” Jason said, tossing Prime a Unitrix core. “But... me and B have to talk about something.” Jason said, shifting into Hodgepodge. “Tata!” he said, opening up a portal.

“Wait!” Prime said, making them pause. “Why don’t you come to my universe to hang for a bit?”

“I love it! What about you?” Hodge asked, turning to Ben.

Ben looked at Prime in shock before smiling. “You know something, in the over five thousand years I’ve been alive, I’ve never done this before. But just the thought of getting to go to your universe, I have no choice.” And then... Ben squeed for the first time in his life.

“Sweet,” Prime said with a smirk.