• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 10,550 Views, 323 Comments

Luna's Story 2: Wrath of the Moon Champion - Aegis Shield



Luna's Lunar Stallions struggle with a slippery pony in white lunar armor.

  • ...
29
 323
 10,550

The Champion's Bite

Luna’s Story 2: Wrath of the Moon Champion
Part 5: The Champion’s Bite

The barracks erupted into cheers and stomping hooves as soon as Stalwart Hide emerged into it. Ponies reared and flailed their hooves, welcoming home their newly healed hero. Even the maid kissed his cheek on the way out, giggling to herself. Before he could say a word, tables were lined up and a feast was called forth from the kitchens. It was one thing to feed a single lunar stallion, but to feed dozens of them would break just about any pantry.

Party poppers went off, there were songs to sing, and general happiness their Captain had returned with a clean bill of health. Somepony even had a fiddle, decorating the background with cheerful music. Forcing him to sit at the head of the table, the lunar stallions feasted together like it was Hearth’s Warming Eve. Sure, they couldn’t do this every time somepony returned from injury, but Captain Stalwart Hide was special. He was one of their leaders. They talked and laughed and celebrated, making him tell them all over and over about how he’d faced down the Moon Champion all by himself. The Captain couldn’t help himself in the face of their enthusiasm, recounting the tale of the battle in the alleyway. They were like little colts hearing about glorious battle for the first time, so attentive!

It was well into the night by the time the party began to wind down and they started dividing up the leftovers for the barracks cold box and pantry. They would all share it like family, as long as it lasted them. Stalwart Hide rose with a full belly and a happy heart, even better than he had after he’d walked out of the hospital. He stopped suddenly and the room went quiet, for princess Luna had appeared in the doorway. “Your majesty.” He bowed before her, smiling.

Princess Luna returned the smile. “I am glad to see you up and about, Captain.” Her sentence was slow and careful in its construction. Somepony had just come from her language lessons, it seemed. A few of the lunar stallions smirked at each other. Even princesses had their difficulties. “It seems… your, comrades did a good job to welcome thou back.” She eyed the table weighted with dirty plates and cider mugs. Cocking her head, she cast her smile to the rest of the room. “We art glad to see your company whole again.” Her wings rose into a happy span, and there was happy chatter in the room once more. While everyone was winding down and doing the clean-up in the great room, the guest of honor slipped out through the anti-chamber. Luna saw him go, but understood he probably needed some air.

=-=-=-=

Gliding on a warm current of air, Stalwart Hide closed his eyes to let the summer night caress him. The hospital had been cold and sterile, artificial in nature as it was in design. Even though he lived in the city of Canterlot, he could appreciate something nature-like to get back to his life. Flapping his wings idly, he sailed lazily back and forth while he admired the stars and city lights. Smiling, he landed gently on a shop’s rooftop. He wasn’t exactly on duty or anything, but he didn’t mind looking out for his fellow citizen either. He watched ponies go about their evenings, smiling contentedly. As a lunar stallion he liked that. No news was good news when it came to peacekeeping.

The Pegasus entertained the thought of a treat for himself. He’d just eaten, sure, but he was a lunar stallion. He could always eat more. Sweet tooth calling, he eyed a donut shop with a smile. Checking his bits bag he smiled and nodded to himself. Landing gently, he pushed the door open and went inside. The shop was definitely open, but it was empty. Cocking his head, Stalwart went to sit at one of the stools at the bar. Maybe the owner was in the restroom or something. He waited for a time, but there was no sign of anypony. “Hi there.” He looked up when a female voice greeted him from across the counter. Snapping out of his mild trance, he gasped and stood when he saw who it was. Silver armor. Twin wing swords. Confident smirk. “You!” He said with a gasp, reaching up and grasping his medallion. “In the dark we tear and re--!” she cuffed him right off of his stool and to the tiled floor. He groaned, holding himself.

“No.” she chirped. “I was just on my way out, thought I would say hello.” She leaned over the counter to get a better look at him, smiling before leaping to his side. He pressed himself up on his side while she loomed over him.

“Where’s the owner? What’ve you done?!” he demanded, pressing himself up at last. He went for his medallion again. “In the dark we tear and re--!” he yelped like a mare when she head-butted him rather nonchalantly.

“No. None of that.” She scolded him again. He moaned, rubbing his forehead. “I’d hate to send you to the hospital again.” She waited patiently for him to find his hooves again. He reached for his medallion a third time, but when she tensed up to cut him down again, he let his hoof fall. “Good boy.” She mused, smiling lopsidedly. When she was sure he wouldn’t try to transform, she made a head-motion towards the back room. “I just finished off the owner. He was selling weaponized sugar to local gangs to make into pies and other throwing weapons. The effects I’m sure you know.” She frowned at his horrified expression, and she could tell he didn’t believe her. Going to the display case, she threw it open and started tossing donuts over her shoulder onto the floor. When she had enough, she returned to him and started crushing them under her hoof. “Jelly. Jelly. Jelly… oh, what’s this?” the fourth donut erupted in a spray of white powder and both ponies quickly stepped back. “Weaponized sugar. Pretty potent stuff. Could send any number of innocent ponies into sugar comas for days, even weeks.”

“You killed Donut Joe?” Stalwart Hide whispered, for he knew the owner well.

“I uprooted another weed of evil in Canterlot. He won’t ever sell his dirty donuts to help hurt anypony ever again.” The Moon Champion smirked. There was a long silence. “Sure, I could’ve reported him and gotten him jailed or fined. But then what? The symptom is treated, but not the problem. He gets out or pays the fine, and keeps right on doing what he’s doing. Hurting Canterlot with his weapons.”

“Criminals can be rehabilitated!” Stalwart Hide said, coming forward and putting a brave hoof on her shoulder. She looked at the hoof sharply, like he might attack her, but did nothing. “You don’t have to kill them all.” He said in a lower voice. She stared at him, golden steam curling from her visor’s slits like cigar smoke. There was another long silence, and they stared at each other. She frowned at him for a time.

“Yes. Yes I do. In her majesty’s name, I destroy anything that lays in the path of peace and harmony.” The Moon Champion said in a low growl. “Never stop. Never compromise.” Her eyes flicked up and down him for a moment. “And you’ll meet the same fate if you try to stop me.” She promised with a narrowed gaze.

The stallion stepped back from her for a moment, staring quietly. Reaching up with a slow and careful motion, he touched his medallion. She made no move to stop him this time. “In the dark, we tear and rend to end all evils, with spines to bend. Lust and power, hunger and might— by Luna’s will, and dark of night.” He wasn’t shouting it as he usually did, but murmuring it like a silky whisper. His armor flowed over him, unlocking with the sound of drawing swords. His pelt faded to the ashen grew, his eyes igniting into gold. Bat wings opened, armor clanked into place. Lunar stallion. Panting a little when the transformation was over, he looked at her with a somber expression. “Must we fight?” he whispered to her. “Can there be no middle ground? No grey…?” he reached up as though to cup her cheek, but her jowls lifted to snarl at him lightly. He would lose that hoof if he touched her, the piranha teeth told him. “Must you kill them all?” he said quietly. His hoof traced one side of her face without touching it, a slow and rather erotic gesture. The stallion found himself aching to touch her, but didn’t dare. She’d hospitalized him once, he didn’t want to go back.

“…Yes.” She whispered, reaching and lifting her visor to see him more clearly. Her face was beautiful, but he did not recognize it. Unscarred, untouched, the softness he saw startled him a little. She had a pleasant look about her, to be honest. The golden eyes still poured quiet curls of yellow steam, though, and it made her look otherworldly. The ancestors in the back of Stalwart Hide’s head murmured at each other, unsure and growly. She’d put them in the hospital, but something about her made them hesitate to do battle. Was it charm? Was it attraction? The stallion didn’t know. Their eyes met for a long moment, and she took a slow step forward until their muzzles almost touched. She snarled a little, baring her teeth. Submissive under the power far greater than his own, Stalwart Hide cocked his head a little. Just enough to one side to show her his neck.

“H’ahn!” He cried out just a little bit when her teeth suddenly latched onto his neck. Not daring to move, he gave a quiet whimper when she dragged her fangs over the most sensitive parts of his neck. Her eyes betrayed quiet amusement when one of his hooves rose to hook itself around her neck, to draw her closer. Closing his eyes, he quietly gave himself to her, praying she wouldn’t decide to rip his throat out. Instead, she rather erotically chewed on him for bit. Anypony who’s ever had a frisky lover knows the incredible arousal that can spark from a lover that bites at the neck. It can be mind-blowing, even if it does leave marks. Trying to live up to his name Stalwart Hide panted quietly and stood stoic, red in the face as she had her proverbial way with him. The ancestors nickered in a confused way, looking at each other and not knowing what to do. Battle song? Healing factor? No. They fell to mixed grumblings, standing in their rows as they waited to see what would happen next.

Giggling and feeling a bit like a vampire, the Moon Champion released his neck. The line of spittle between them soon broke. Leaning, she slowly licked the pinkening teeth marks she’d left in him. She hadn’t drawn blood, only ignited the nerves with the prickling of her fangs. She saw the stallion shudder, and saw the red in his face. “Good boy…” she whispered, nosing him just once. He panted quietly, looking at her in a longing way. The moment ended when she turned and strode out of the donut shop. Ding-a-ling, went the bell above the door. The lunar stallion stood there for a few long moments, then cursed himself and leapt over the counter to check the store room for Donut Joe’s body.

=-=-=-=

Luna sat on her throne, a little flushed and antsy. She wasn’t quite sure why. The summer hadn’t been particularly cruel this year, but none the less she’d been struggling to stay cool for most of the evening. She saw a lunar stallion approach, bow, and spread his wings before her. “Hammershot.” She spoke plainly. “Speak.”

“Your majesty, there’s been another murder.” he told her, rising quickly and saluting. “The Moon Champion has struck again.” Luna growled, closing her eyes as he went on. “It was Donut Joe, from Donut Joe’s Confection Shop. We found stocks of weaponized sugar in his store room and several disguised donuts in the display cases and on the floor. He was a weapons dealer in disguise!”

Luna rubbed the bridge of her muzzle. “Where is Donut Joe now?” she knew the answer, but had to ask anyway.

“In the morgue, your highness.” Hammershot said, folding his wings cautiously. “Cut open like the others.” He made a mild gesture across his chest, then neck. A few of the servants shuddered. Word had traveled quickly about the wayward mare in lunar armor. Luna was only grateful the city itself was not panicking. “He never had a chance.”

The princess sighed angrily, then slowly rose from her seat. “That makes fourteen ponies she’s slain.” The thieves, the gang, and now a weapons dealer. How the Moon Champion had caught so many in such a short time amazed her, but she did not condone their executions. Equestria was beyond such barbaric things. Jail was enough to straighten out just about any pony in this era. Flaring her wings open in frustration, she walked down the stairs of the dais to Hammershot’s level. He kept his wings very carefully closed, pressed to his sides. “Who reported this latest incident?”

“C-Captain Stalwart Hide, your majesty.” said Hammershot with a low bow. “He was out getting some air, he said, after the party. Apparently he ran right into her.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed. “You are dismissed. Send the Captain to me.” She saw a grateful smile work across his muzzle as he was turning away. She instilled a fearful respect in that particular stallion, it seemed. The princess paced slowly and angrily while she waited. Somepony was wandering around Canterlot, wearing the special armor of her avatar, killing as she saw fit. Sure, all of the ponies slain were criminals and undesirables, but that did not make them unworthy of living their lives. Stalwart Hide emerged into the throne room, came to all four knees and bowed. Right away Luna was suspicious of him. Around his neck he wore a red bandanna, and a sort of cap on his head. “What is all that?” she asked, gesturing at him.

“Er… i-it’s still my night off, your majesty. They’re my street clothes.” He offered lamely, smiling at her in a nervous way. The princess scowled at him. She’d known him for the better part of a year, and he’d never worn bandannas nor hats before. He was either armored or naked. She leaned forward aggressively, her wings rising into an angry gesture.

“Lie not to thy princess, lest your lies get you in more trouble than a bad truth, Captain.” She called him by title, speaking in a whisper. She saw the stallion shudder guiltily. She reached, pulling his cap off. On his forehead was a mild bruise and nick mark. He’d been head-butted by a unicorn, the mark told her. Before he could stop her she snatched the bandanna off as well. The teeth marks were pink, and plainly seen even in the poor light. “Didst thou fight her again?!” Luna gaped at him, but then stopped herself. No… the positioning of the teeth was far too convenient and off a normal biting attack. How had she managed to latch onto him and NOT ripped this throat out?

“I met her at Donut Joe’s shop.” Stalwart Hide confessed. “We tangled… just a little. She let me go without beating me down this time.” He stared at his princess’ hooves.

“She seems to have a habit of selecting ponies to let live.” Luna said acidly, tossing the hat and bandanna at his hooves as she turned away. “Count thyself lucky.” She suddenly stutter-stepped, but he wasn’t looking at her so he didn’t see it. She shook her head a little, turning about to look at him again. “She’s let two thieves live thus far, and even left notes. If only I might be in the same room with her again, we might command her to cease and surrender her armor.”

“Of course, your majesty. She’s a lunar… mare. She would have to obey you.” Stalwart Hide said, quickly retying his bandanna to hide the teeth marks. His cheeks were a little flushed as he did so.

“Did she say anything to you?” Princess Luna asked.

“She said she would destroy anything that lay in the way of peace and harmony for Canterlot.” He said quietly, casting his eyes downward and not feeling brace enough to put his hat on yet. Luna considered his words for a time.

“That certainly sounds like something the Moon Champion would say. The armor she wears is a relic of war. It would compel her to root out anything she deems truly evil.” The princess went back up the stairs and sat on the throne, a little out of breath for some reason. “Thank you for your report. You are dismissed. Stalwart Hide bowed again, and was away. There was a bit of silence as the servants resumed their tasks around the midnight court. “Your thoughts, Aegis Shield.” Luna said, turning to look at him. The stallion standing guard could think of nothing helpful to say and shook his head with a sigh. The princess fought an oncoming headache, rubbing at the bridge of her muzzle.

=-=-=-=

The Moon Champion closed the loft door behind her. She didn't exactly own a penthouse. She was staying in the Canterlot clocktower, where nopony would think to look for her. After all, who could sleep with the endless tick-tick-tick and booming chimes of the massive clock? Well, she could, with the aid of a silencing spell. Anything within fifty feet of her would be completely quiet, a perfect sanctuary bubble for the weary to rest in. The dawn was coming, and it was finally time to rest.

Reaching, she touched her breast and her silvery armor flashed wildly. Exploding from her body like a thousand shards of shrapnel, they coalesced into a medallion about her neck. While the wing swords vanished the helm and visor melted away. Her golden eyes flickered a few times before returning to their normal color, and her white pelt shaded itself darker. Moaning in exhaustion, she sank forward on all four knees. The ancestors quieted for the poor mare. Sitting there, she just tried to breathe for a time. It was hard. It was so hard. The armor was powerful, and not letting up on her any time soon. She should’ve practiced the transformation a few more times before making herself known. Although it didn’t turn her wild and crazy anymore, it still took so much out of her.

When she’d recovered enough to move, she went and dislodged a floorboard. Reaching into it, she got a bedroll and a heavy sack of food. She ate hungrily until all of it was gone, and even then she was still hungry. She’d brought as much as she could carry from her last shopping trip, but lunar armor was as demanding on the body as it was on the mind. Falling rather hard onto her side, she unrolled the bedroll and curled up onto it. She stared up at the slowly lowering moon. It would be dawn soon. She sidled into the corner where it would be darkest. The Moon Champion sighed aloud, looking inward. The ancestors cooed softly, trying to soothe her troubled body and mind. Quiet, purring mares crowded around her in her mind’s eye, rubbing gently at her chest and legs. Momma, and grand-momma, and great grand-momma… and on back, and on back. No generation had skipped training in the armor she wore, so all of them were recalled in its memory. It was comforting to see their faces.

The stallion she’d met at the donut shop troubled her. The mild attraction had suddenly spiked and she couldn’t help herself. Laying her teeth on him had felt almost like claiming him in bed, exhilarating. The ancestors had sung in wild jubilation, egging her on at the time. She thought to blame the ancestors for augmenting her emotions, but didn’t quite have the focus to. She couldn’t hear what they had to say anyway, merely their tones of voice. She cursed quietly, closing her eyes. Tomorrow was another night.

End of Part 5