• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 8,430 Views, 388 Comments

The Changeling Trials - PastCat



After the royal wedding, the guard rounds up suspected changelings across Equestria. Princess Luna takes charge of resolving the fates of these non-Chrysalis changelings

  • ...
33
 388
 8,430

Chapter V: Next?

Luna was still sorting through the stack of petitions when Eclipse trotted in. “So how did it go, Prin- er, Luna?” The ebon unicorn asked.

Luna looked up from examining one of the pages and replied “It went very well, if I may say so myself. The retired sergeant came with his daughter and recognized Rough Diamond immediately. I received word just a short while ago from the guard I sent to escort them back to Gray Wings’ home that the sergeant’s wife also recognized the changeling from her time with the Frontier Guard. Rough Diamond will be staying with their family until the snow has melted enough for the pass to the Drake’s Spine mountains to be passable.”

Eclipse smiled. “I am very glad the first one went well. Did you get a chance to speak to the changeling about possible feeding for the others still in the barracks?”

“I did, but she did not have any suggestions to offer. It was difficult enough to understand what she was saying until she was allowed to shift into a pony form.”

Eclipse looked confused. Luna hastened to explain: “normal changeling speech is inaudible; it just sounds like a buzzing insect. Only the enhanced hearing of bat ponies like my night guard is able to pick it up. In addition, the native tongue of many changelings is different from Equestrian. We would have a hard time finding a bat pony who would be able to interpret for us.”

“But these changelings were all captured in Equestria! Wouldn't they all speak our language?” Eclipse blurted out.

Luna shook her head. “Not in changeling form. Apparently they are unable to enunciate some of the motions that make up equine speech. That is why most ponies are likewise unable to speak Changeish; it uses a whole different way of speaking.”

The two mares sat in silence for a moment and contemplated this development. “Perhaps there is a spell somewhere, something akin to the one used to understand animal speech, that can be modified to work on changelings. Or perhaps there is a way to turn pony speech into Changeish when one is speaking to changelings.” Eclipse at last suggested.

Luna considered the idea, then nodded. “I shall ask the scholars at the Royal Canterlot Archives and Library if they can find anything of that sort. I will likewise consult with the savants at the Equestrian National Museum.”

The alicorn and ebon unicorn then turned their attention to the petitions. “After that first one, it will be difficult to decide which of these to take under consideration next.” Luna murmured.

Eclipse levitated three petitions from the stack. “Whatever ponies sent you these must be desperate. One is addressed to Princess Celestia, one is addressed to you, and one is addressed to both of you. They are all asking about the exact same three changelings, and I think they are from the same ponies, but it is difficult to be sure. The paper quality is very different on each of them. The message and magic signature are the same though.”

Luna caught the one addressed to her alone from the pile and read it. The petition claimed that three changelings were vital to the entrepreneurial enterprise of the pair of unicorns who had written the document. The princess examined the names and descriptions more closely. The first thing that struck her was that, unlike the first letter from the Night Guard commander, these writers did not describe the changelings as friends. The descriptions were more detailed about their physical features than about their personalities. The writers even failed to mention the changelings’ names. It felt more like they were describing parts of a machine to a metal worker in order to secure a replacement. The dryness of the words made Luna feel sick to her stomach, and a little cold. To say the least, it was highly unnerving.

“What do you think of these?” She asked Eclipse at last.

Eclipse scanned the letter before replying. “Well, Luna, I don't like it. This feels more akin to the sale of livestock than a request to have a friend or something like that freed from prison. Besides, I have heard something of these unicorns. They have a … reputation.”

Luna looked questioningly at her assistant. The night unicorn squirmed uncomfortably. “What kind of reputation?”

“They are hucksters, out to make a quick buck off of whatever they can. Shady farm deals, snake oil tonics, black marketeering of magical goods, questionable machinery, and I am certain there is more that they are up to but have never gotten caught. They stay in a small town for a while, make as many deals as possible, then try to depart without paying what is owed.”

Luna pondered this information. “So should we invite them to Canterlot to make their case?”

Eclipse looked hesitant. “If it were solely up to me, Luna, I would say ‘no’. This tale of theirs just does not ring true to me. Your sister might have a suggestion on how or whether to pursue this case.”

Luna pondered that. Yes, Celestia had more experience with this kind of question. If what Eclipse had said of the reputation of these Flim and Flam ponies was true, her sister may even know of their exploits. Very well; she would consult with the solar princess when they met for breakfast. In the meantime, though…

“The Royal Archives, Library, and Equestrian Museum. If any of these places of learning can give us a way to understand Changeish speech, we should get them to do their utmost.”

“May I make a suggestion, Luna?” Eclipse asked her companion. Luna nodded. “Perhaps we could also make inquiries of Twilight Sparkle. She may not like changelings after what happened with her brother, but I think that the possibility of learning something of changeling life from a first-hoof source would be irresistible to her. After all, it took a royal order from Princess Celestia to even get her to leave the Royal Library and go to Ponyville for your return. She practically lived there. It would be better to get her involved indirectly at first; we can always ask for more direct help later.”

Luna nodded. “I will ask if my sister will send her a letter, then. It will give Twilight Sparkle something new to research.” The pair of nocturnal equines returned to their sorting in companionable silence. As the night began to draw to a close, they had finally worked out a general system for working through the petitioners. As Luna left to lower the moon and join her sister for breakfast, she carried the Flim-Flam petitions with her. As she closed the door behind her, the last thing she noticed was Eclipse sound asleep on an old divan, surrounded by documents and wrapped up in one of the decorative throw blankets embroidered with a design of constellations in the night sky.