• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 8,421 Views, 388 Comments

The Changeling Trials - PastCat



After the royal wedding, the guard rounds up suspected changelings across Equestria. Princess Luna takes charge of resolving the fates of these non-Chrysalis changelings

  • ...
33
 388
 8,421

XVII: Review and Routine

The ponies and changelings slept through the full night and well into the next day. They were all awake by noon, when a steward delivered two stacks of mail. One was full of newspapers and fashion magazines with show reviews. The other contained numerous envelopes from various Canterlot socialites addressed to Rarity. The fashion designer reached for the former first. “Now to see what the reviewers thought!” Because she was hardly well-known enough to be the headliner for the show, Rarity was used to mining a small mention to gauge the impact of a particular show’s impression of her clothing line. As she and the others flipped through the printed articles, they read what snippets they found aloud to one another: “a most creative showing by an up-and-coming designer”; “these new designs are indeed created by a Rarity”, “brilliant use of gemstones to highlight clean lines and patterns”, “well-chosen lighting and well-chosen models”, “looking forward to seeing more of this”.

Finally, Rarity reached for the final magazine, a glossy book with a very colorful cover. “Now this one is the biggest one in Equestrian fashion!” She crowed. “If there is even the tiniest mention of my designs in this, the Canterlot Style Star, I will be amazed.” She opened the magazine and started scanning pages. After a while, she stopped and turned the magazine around to her waiting companions. A full page photograph dominated the opened section. It showed Zinnia in full model pose in a fancier version of the dress she had worn to the reception. Her wings were splayed to full effect and glowing slightly. Her back was turned toward the camera, displaying the full train with its ornate design to great effect but her face was to the camera as she looked over her shoulder with a look of pure ennui. As this was the only dress in which she had donned her natural wings on stage (after a bit of an argument with Rarity right before the show), the effect was stunning. The article next to it was headlined with the phrase “Canterlot Changeling Couture” and four sets of eyes were riveted to the page as they read the article together:

Tonight, the greatest impression was made by Miss Rarity Belle of Ponyville’s Carousel Boutique with her stunning designs and unusual choice of model. This exquisite gown of satin brocade is one of seven displayed over the course of the evening, all on the same model, despite the other dresses being designed with unicorns, pegasi, or earth pony models in mind. It seems that Miss Rarity has found a way to incorporate changelings into her design process as well. Sources say this was an experimental exhibition for the young designer, but I expect that changelings may become the next big thing in the business of modelling. Kudos to this innovative designer!

As they finished with the page, Fluttershy glanced at Rarity. It was obvious to the pegasus that, although Rarity wanted a mention in a prestigious publication, she would have preferred that it be for her designs rather than her choice of model. The jealousy was subtle, but it was there. Eventually, Zinnia noticed as well. The changeling reached out a hoof to the fashion designer.

“Oh Rarity, there is no need to be slighted. After all, they did mention you and your business by name and said that the design of the dress itself is yours. After all,” She winked, “we both know my fashion sense includes tye-dyed clothing. With really eye-popping colors.” She startled Rarity into a laugh. “Now can we have a look at that magazine? Maybe there are other mentions that you missed.”

The group returned to the magazine. Most of the rest was about the major fashion house designers who were headlining the show. There were a few positive tidbits about the choice of lighting that made Glow Wings look quite pleased. Few of the other minor designers received much of a mention; certainly none of them contained a full-page photograph of any of their designs. At last, they turned their attention to the stack of mail. Rarity divided up the letters, as most of them were addressed to her as fan mail or social invitations. Soon enough, Rarity’s green monster was acting up again as numerous notes and invitations turned out to be for Zinnia.

“Rarity, calm down.” Fluttershy whispered to her friend. “Remember, you will have to go back to Ponyville eventually. You would not want to leave all of us behind, would you?”

Rarity shook her head and tried to look pleased at the attention Zinnia had garnered from the socialite and fashion ponies at the show. By the time they had finished sorting, Rarity still had a respectable stack of notes, though paltry compared to Zinnia’s. It appeared that the fashionista had indeed gained some new clients with her showing.

Zinnia turned to Rarity. “Rarity, I know nothing about these ponies. I know even less about being a Canterlot socialite. That reception bored me to tears. Would… would you be willing to teach me how to do this whole… thing? I could use some, er, a lot of coaching.”

Rarity looked surprised and flattered. “I suppose so, darling. After all, I was fortunate enough to have some pony take me under his wing when I got started in the business. I see no reason why I should not help you out.”

Zinnia looked grateful. “Thank you, Rarity. And I hope I will get a chance to model for you again. Some of the other fashion ponies I met…” She shuddered. “Even at your most stressed, you were among the sanest.”

Rarity nodded in understanding. “You have no idea, my dear.”

Fluttershy watched this exchange with rapt attention. Glow Wings did not. She had retreated to a corner with a pair of envelopes and was reading their contents to herself. Judging by the luminosity of her wings, one was from Spotter Light. A flare from her wings akin to that of a flash bulb from a camera distracted the ponies and Zinnia from their discussion.

“What is that, Glowy?” Asked Zinnia. “Is it from your boy toy?”

Glow Wings flushed. “The…the first one was. Boy toy?” The last phrase , combined with an incredulous look at her friend was enough to send them all into shrieks of laughter.

At last, Glow Wings and the others got a hold of themselves. “What…was the other one?” Fluttershy gasped as she tried to regain her breath.

Glow Wings smiled. “It is from Center Stage, the theater owner. Apparently Spotter talked to him, and,” she took a deep breath, “he wants to offer me a job working with the lights. It turns out, he needs someone who can work with the lights for bigger productions and Spotter can not handle everything at once, so…” She shrugged nonchalantly.

Zinnia was on her in an instant, giving her friend a huge hug. “I am so proud of you! We are on our way!”

The rest of the afternoon was spent with Rarity and Zinnia examining the invitations together and discussing which they would accept, Zinnia having asked the society-conscious unicorn to escort her through the twists and turns of the social labyrinth. Rarity had decided to stay a bit longer in Canterlot to help the changeling and drum up more interest in her business. Fluttershy finished her packing; she would be returning to her animals in Ponyville. Glow Wings helped; she and the pegasus worked in companionable silence. When a servant came to escort the group to dinner, The four of them followed eagerly. Princess Celestia was already seated, a couple of her advisers from Day Court also at table. Princess Luna entered the room shortly after the Ponyvillians and changelings had been seated. She took a place near the group and watched curiously as the changelings helped themselves to food.

“I thought you only fed off love?” she blurted out.

The changelings shared a glance and chuckled. “We feed off emotions, your majesty,” Zinnia began, “but we eat pony food too. We do have to appear normal among the rest of you, after all. Besides, this all has a very different flavor to emotions. It is good to have a little ballast; we just need to be sure that we do not eat too much. Pony food can make us too heavy to fly if we overeat. Emotions are nice and ethereal and do not add any weight.” She licked her lips. “And it tastes delicious!”

The princess looked surprised, then changed the subject to what the changelings had found to do in Canterlot. With some prompting from her friends, Glow Wings told the princess of her job offering from the theater. Then Zinnia and Rarity filled the princess in on the changeling’s forays into the social whirl. Luna was pleased to hear that the changelings had found an appropriate place here. It gave her hope for some of the others who were still living in the barracks. She had spent the last week going through petitions with Eclipse, weeding out the most promising and sending out invitations to petitioners to do interviews with the princess about their changeling friends. Nonetheless, there were still many poor souls who had received no word from pony friends or colleagues. Princess Luna was planning on making letter-writing materials available to the changelings still at the barracks when she reached the end of her interviews. That would happen in a few days.

She returned her attention to the discussion at table, which involved the changelings’ favorite foods. “I am rather fond of sweets myself,” Glow Wings was saying. “But it is even better when paired with something very hot and spicy.”

Zinnia made a face. “That is kind of gross, Glowy. When did you last try anything like that?”

Glow Wing smiled at her friend. “That was Trek’s idea. He dared me to eat a cupcake drenched in hot sauce. I think he expected that I would completely panic or something, but it was really tasty.”

Zinnia rolled her eyes. Luna thought about Trek; the changelings’ dim companion seemed very happy to live in the barracks. “Speaking of Trek, do you have any suggestions for something he could do? I am loathe to return him to Flim and Flam after what you two have told me, but he seems happy enough here.”

Zinnia shrugged. “He did not talk to me much, so there is not much I can say.”

Glow Wings looked thoughtful. “He likes to pony watch. He is clumsy when it comes to magic or hoofwork, but he is very good at picking up details and remembering them. He sees everything, even if he never feels right talking about what he sees or figuring out what it all means. If he were partnered with someone who was able to keep up with him and put together the puzzle pieces, he would do okay. It just takes a lot of patience to get used to him. I do not think he would hurt any pony and he is not stupid; it is more like his head is a coin bank. It is really easy to put useful things in, but not so much to get them to come back out again. If you can get past that, he is a good pony to work with.”

Luna thought to herself that she would need to talk about this with her sister. Celestia had more experience dealing with … unique… ponies than Luna herself did, and might be able to offer better suggestions as to how to place Trek. After all, he deserved as much of a chance as any of the other changelings here. As she bid her fellow ponies good night after dinner, Luna returned to her petitions with a thoughtful expression on her face. She penned a note to her sister that night.

Tia,
I have run into a new quandary that you may be able to help with. It seems that one of the changelings that Zinnia and Glow Wings (tonight’s dinner guests) worked with has unusual mental issues. According to Miss Wings, the changeling, who calls himself Trek, is highly observant, but since he is unable to use magic, write or speak, there is little he can do for himself, yet he seems content in the barracks. Can you offer any suggestions on how to proceed?
Lulu.

The next evening, Luna received a reply:
Luna,
Is it possible that Trek has other hidden talents? Maybe you should talk to the other changelings and see what suggestions they may have. Also, one of the day guards for the changelings suggested that along with letter writing supplies, you also offer the changelings art supplies. Apparently, some of them have been annoying the guards at irregular intervals; Cpl. Solid Shield thinks they are bored. (He seems to understand Changeish. You may want to have a word with him).
Tia

Luna glanced up from the note. It was still early in the evening, so it was possible that some of the day guards were still awake. She sent a servant with a note to the guard barracks asking if Cpl. Shield was still awake and if he would be willing to attend to her. Shortly thereafter, the servant returned with the corporal in tow. He did not appear to have been awakened.

“Greetings, your majesty. How may I be of assistance?” the stallion asked warily. Many of the day guards were still wary around the princess of the night, though they at least stayed polite about it.

“I was speaking with my sister recently, and she mentioned a request you had regarding the detained changelings. Is there anything I should know that my night guards would not have picked up?”

The guard stallion shifted his posture nervously. “Well,” he began hesitantly, “Over the past few days, as the number of changelings has gone down, the number of pranks and jokes they have been playing on the guards has gone up. It is mostly little things, like random taps on the door and catching hold of whatever they can reach and other little nuisances like that. To put it simply, Princess Luna, they are getting tired of being stuck in that building with only each other for company and it is showing. They are even getting tired of seeing the same guards coming in to visit over and over again. It is grating on all of us.” He kicked at the tile underhoof.

Luna decided to ease him into the question she wanted answered. “And you think offering them art supplies as well as writing supplies would help?” she asked.

“Well, to put it bluntly, yes.” He answered. “You see, I know most of them can write, but there is at least one fellow there who can not. I have met him several times; he is smart, but just does not think in the same way most ponies do. He reminds me of my youngest son; we despaired of teaching him anything until the colt got a hold of some modelling clay; it was the best thing that could have happened to him and now he is becoming more confident, as if shaping the clay is shaping him too. It could be that since these ponies are not able to express themselves the way you and I can, they must do it in some other way. It seems to me that the best routes for this are art or sports, and there is not much room for sports around the barracks.”

Luna nodded. What Corporal Shield said made sense. She had seen many ponies one might consider a ‘genius’ with a complete excess in talent that was so strong that the pony in question was left very much weakened in other areas. It made for some completely amazing results—and a very lonely genius in the end. She turned to the corporal. “I believe I will take this into consideration. I too have seen that art can be a good outlet for those who are unable to speak for themselves. Thank you for your suggestion.”

The princess smiled at the guard, who sketched a quick bow before departing. The princess added a few more items to a list on her desk. She would ask her sister to send a servant around with the list to shop for supplies in the morning when the shops were open. For now, she returned to the few remaining petitions she had left. Most of them would be easy to deal with. They were for changelings whose pony friends were more distant from Canterlot and so had a greater distance to travel. Fortunately, the hype from the wedding had mostly died down. It only continued on the fringes of Equestria now; the area around Canterlot and most of central Equestria was for the most part tranquil. Now and then there would be a new wave of changeling sightings and the guard would send a patrol to investigate, but those were becoming fewer as well. It seemed that the changeling hunt hysteria was coming to an end, and Princess Luna was glad for it. Still, she had a vague feeling that she was waiting for the last horse shoe to drop.