• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 8,423 Views, 388 Comments

The Changeling Trials - PastCat



After the royal wedding, the guard rounds up suspected changelings across Equestria. Princess Luna takes charge of resolving the fates of these non-Chrysalis changelings

  • ...
33
 388
 8,423

XVIII: Artists in the Mist

It did not take long for the remaining changelings to take up the art and writing supplies Luna had offered. Many of them wrote to their pony friends who had not been aware of their predicament to ask for help in returning home. Even so, a small cadre of changelings showed no interest in writing the outside world. This group focused its energy on the art supplies. It was not long before colorfully painted canvases began appearing in the barracks. Most of these were watercolor paints, but a few changelings were experimenting with other mediums as well. Princess Luna was surprised to rise one night to find a card on her desk. It was an obviously hoof-made affair, made of thick paper. The cover of the card was an illustration of the night sky, with an emphasis on the constellation of Orion. As the princess opened the card, she found herself looking at a carefully written invitation:

To Her Majesty, Princess Luna,
You are cordially invited to the opening of the first ever Canterlot Exhibition of Changeling Art. The exhibition is to be held in the main hall of the Changeling House in two weeks’ time after sunset. All artists will be in attendance in their natural form to assist with the show. We dearly hope you will grace our humble company with your presence.
Most sincerely,
The Changeling Artists’ Guild

Well, that was a surprise. Princess Luna wondered how many others had received similar invitations. She was getting ready to go down to break her fast when her sister tapped on the door. Luna opened it to find Celestia standing there holding a familiar-looking card in her aura.

“Luna, did you have anything to do with this?” Celestia asked her sister.

Luna shook her head. “I had no idea that they would take to art so quickly. I just received an invitation myself. Have you heard of any others?”

Celestia nodded. “They must have gone out in the mail this morning. I have received inquiries from several art critics and prominent artists from around Canterlot asking about this event. Are you certain this is a good idea?”

Luna shrugged. “It seems harmless enough, sister. After all, the changelings will be in their natural form and it is not as if they will be able to harm anypony while we are there.”

“True.” Celestia answered, somewhat hesitantly. “So I take it you will be going?” She asked the princess of the night.

“I think I will, Tia. I want to see what this changeling artists’ guild has created. Will you?”

The day princess shrugged. “I will check with my scheduler. If I can, I will put in an appearance.”

Luna sighed; she knew her sister’s opinion of art galleries. Celestia was more of a patron of the arts than an artist herself; Luna doubted her sister would experience this exhibition in the same way that she had. No matter. Appearances must be kept up. “Verily, sister. I think I am looking forward to this. I have not been to an art show in a long time and would like to see this one.”

Celestia nodded in understanding. “If you are sure, Lulu.” The night princess nodded. If something good came out of this whole changeling hunt experience, she could feel as if she were doing something worthwhile again.
~~
The evening of the show arrived quickly; the royal sisters approached the gathering together. Several guards stood watch around the building to keep an eye on the visitors as well as to watch for any attempted escapees. Luna was doubtful there would be any tonight, but Celestia had insisted on additional security. The interior of the building was brightly lit, with a buffet table moved to one side. The changelings’ bunks had all been pushed to the far side of the building and various art pieces were arranged tastefully throughout the room. As of yet, only ponies appeared in the room, all admiring the various art objects. In one corner, a critic was pontificating on the choice of medium used by one artist. In another, Fancy Pants and his wife admired an oil painting. The overall centerpiece was a large sculpture that was at present covered by a canvas tarp. According to one of the guards, the changeling artist had wanted to unveil it himself as part of the festivities. Celestia had her “royal patron” face on and was soon chatting amiably with a pair of glass artists from the glaziers guild. Luna could not remember their names, but she knew that they had created many of the ornate stained glass windows that adorned the Great Hall. Seeing that her sister was appropriately distracted, Princess Luna wandered away toward one of the paintings that had captured her attention.

This one was, like the image on her invitation, a watercolor scene of the night sky. Unlike the small landscape from the card, this was several times larger and included an image of a changeling. The changeling was seated in lonely repose, staring out at the moonlit sky. The multiple hues of blue and gray gave the painting a feeling of turmoil and impermanence. Luna examined the painting more closely. The changeling did not appear hostile; if anything, it simply looked sad and alone. Luna allowed her eyes to drift away from the painting to the label stuck nearby on the wall. It said, simply “Watcher of the Moon, watercolors on canvas, Summit Streak/jakevustedfisl” Luna was puzzled at first by the final name, but then realized that this was the closest that “Summit Streak” could come to spelling his Changeish name in the Equish alphabet. Even seeing that name told Luna one thing: this was not some attempt at a facade for the changelings; instead this was an opportunity for them to show that there was more to them than the mindless swarm that Queen Crysalis had unleashed several months before. As Princess Luna moved on to other works of art, she noticed other artists’ paired names: Stone Stepper/ewikfrinjr, Ice Glow/begnjirofewj, Red Wing/hisssstaaaki, and Loop-de-Loop/gienksidjikntijnajilnjkuuu among others. Even with Professor Buzz Words’ spell, Luna doubted that she could have pronounced any of the names correctly. She wondered if they could even be pronounced in pony form.

There was a sudden whistling sound that caught the attention of all the ponies in the room. At that moment, a dozen changelings entered the room from the upstairs living quarters. All of them were dressed in fine style akin to their guests and none wore pony disguises. In fact, all of them were still wearing their magic inhibitors, though they seemed to treat them more as jewelry to be flashed around with panache than as a hindrance. Luna was glad she had convinced Professor Buzz Words to teach the variant of her changeling speech spell to the guards so the changelings would be able to talk to their guests and be understood. It was just the temporary version, but that was all that was needed for tonight. By what seemed to be mutual consent, the changelings remained as a group and clustered around the still-covered statue. The ponies gravitated towards them.

Once the majority of the room was turned toward the statue, one of the changelings spoke up. “Fillies and Gentlecolts, welcome to the first ever exhibition of changeling art to be shown here in Canterlot. Every art work in this room was created by the hoof of a changeling, and each and every one of us is proud to share our talents with you. It is difficult to imagine that a pony who has been exiled from one way of life can find a new place for himself among others of his ilk, but here that is exactly what has happened. We are drifters, unattached to any hive and without much of a place in the pony world to call home. What we are, we are because we were brought here, brought together by the sole bond of our species. Yet, we made a place for us. For many of us, this is the only place we have ever felt at home. And so, ponies of Canterlot, the show this evening is to welcome you into our home, to show you what it means to be Changeling. As you look at the art on display tonight, remember that you are seeing your world through the eyes of someone else. Please come and speak with the artists. They have much to say for themselves.”

“Yet there is one among us who can not speak for himself; rather he allows his art to speak for him. At his request, this central work has remained hidden from all non-changeling eyes until now. Fillies and Gentlecolts: please welcome Treksidjonfr, and his grand sculpture, The Princess.”

At that moment, one of the other changelings stepped forward and tugged on a rope. The rope spiraled down and the canvas tarp pulled away to reveal a life sized sculpture of an alicorn. It appeared to be made of several different colors of stone, pieced together into a mosaic of shapes that seemed to combine the features of the pure color of pony fur with the holed chitin of the changelings. Before any of the critics could respond, Princess Luna stood up and paced around the statue. She found it very intriguing; from some angles, it was very much like a pony. From other angles, it had more changeling features. More often than not, though, it was something in between. Luna admired the artist’s deft touch with color and form. This is what art should be, the princess of the night thought to herself, it should influence the viewer and make them think. She made a second pace around the statue. The room was very quiet with anticipation; both the art critics and the changelings alike waited with bated breath to see whether the artistic princess would approve of this central work.

Princess Luna smiled. “I congratulate you, young Treksidjonfr,” she said into the silence, hoping she had pronounced the Changeish name correctly, “this piece is a magnificent and thoughtful reminder to us all that creative energy is not limited to the pony species.” There was some awkward shuffling of hooves from some of the critics. Luna nodded to the spokesbug who had opened the exhibition. “Please continue. There is still much to see.”

With that, the crowd began to drift back around the room again, with changeling artists carried along with the flow of ponies. Luna remained near The Princess. Even when she was young, there was always at least one art object that would attract her attention and hold it fast. Tonight, the sculpture was performing that service. Princess Luna felt a tug at her wing and found herself face to face with the changeling Trek. He gestured toward the princess of the night, then toward himself. He rubbed his stomach.

The speaker for the evening was still nearby and saw the interaction. “He says thank you, your majesty.” The changeling interpreted for his mute companion. “Your praise was very thoughtful and genuinely meant. It helped change the mood of the room and made it more comfortable for the ponies and thus easier for us to feed on the ambiance.”

The mute changeling made several more gestures at the sculpture and Princess Luna. His companion added narrative: “He says he made this sculpture for you. He saw how you have been helping all of the changelings who have been here find a place. He sees you as a hive bound changeling would see a queen—as a leader worthy of respect from underlings. He would be most honored if you would accept this sculpture as a gift.”

To the changelings’ surprise, Princess Luna bowed to the artists. “I thank you both and would be honored to accept.”

She stayed with Trek and his friend for a little while longer before a sense of duty to meeting the other artists drew her away. She made her way around the room, exchanging a few words with each changeling about his or her art, finally ending with the first watercolor that had caught her attention. The changeling artist looked scared. “Mister Summit Streak?” Luna asked. The changeling nodded. Luna continued, “I sense much talent in you. You have a wonderful eye for detail. Few ponies could do so well to capture a night sky in watercolors. Yet, there is something different about this that appeals to me. There is a feeling of melancholy, of loneliness and isolation that I have not seen in other works here.”

The changeling took a deep breath and responded “I do not think I belong here, Princess. I do not feel the comradery of the other artists, nor do I know any pony on the outside. I was brought here after being across the border only a day or two, after being purged from my hive. I have nothing to return to.”

Luna nodded and reached out a comforting wing. “I know the feeling.” She whispered to the changeling. “I too have been an exile, an exile of mine own making. Those who understand are few and far between. Would you be willing to stay here as one of my personal artists? Your style appeals to me greatly and I think that given some finer instruction, it could become even more beautiful.”

The changeling looked surprised. “You mean it; you really mean it?” he asked slowly, as if trying to convince himself as much as the princess. Luna nodded; the changeling bowed. “Then I accept. Please call me Summit.”

As the evening drew to a close, ponies began to disappear into the streets of Canterlot. Princess Luna pulled her sister aside. Celestia eyed her sister. “I know that look, Luna. You have an artistic streak shining in that eye and it means you are up to something. Spill.”

Luna rolled said eyes at her sister’s melodramatic words. “I can not hide anything from you, Tia. All right, I shall ‘spill’ as you say. I want to set the artistic changelings here up as an artists’ colony around here, either in Canterlot city or up on Canterlot Mountain. Several of them have immense talent and no other place to go. I would hate to lose that talent because of some stupid prejudices.”

Celestia sighed. Luna was really taking this mercy thing too far. “Are you sure, Lulu? I mean, they are still emotivores…”

“Who proved through tonight’s event that they can feed themselves easily without much outside help and without completely draining a single pony. All they need is a safe place where they can stay that is close enough to the city for them to be able to feed regularly and where we can keep an eye on them. I think this can work.” Luna interrupted her sister.

Celestia gave Luna a critical look. “You are going to do this whether I give my blessing or not, aren't you?” Luna gave a determined nod. With a sigh, Celestia relented. “Very well, Lulu. I see your point. Go ahead.”

Luna turned away from the princess of the sun and addressed the changelings, asking them what they thought of her idea. At first there was silence, but then the changelings turned to the frantically gesturing Trek and his interpreter. The former’s enthusiasm was infectious and the latter’s response showed an equal amount of enthusiasm. “That would be ideal, your majesty. It would give us a private place to work on commissions or whatever art we pursue. Perhaps other artists could join us later after we are well established. It would be a good place, a free place.” The other changelings nodded in agreement.

After a few more words, the princesses took their leave. As they walked outside, Celestia gave her sister a hug. “I am proud of you, Luna. You did well tonight.”

“So did you, Tia. Thank you for keeping the nobles off my back all evening so I could enjoy myself.”

“What are sisters for?”

Author's Note:

How to make up Changeish names: bang body part on keyboard, add vowels.

Any resemblance to real words is coincidental.