• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 16,174 Views, 754 Comments

I Found Love: A Princess Cadence and Shining Armour story - kuromi



An origin story of Princess Cadence, how she came to meet Twilight and Shining Armour and find love.

  • ...
15
 754
 16,174

Prologue

Sometimes I thought that having the talent to spread love to other ponies was a curse on me. At first, it was the most wondrous and magical thing to find my special talent- my cutie mark- was the most beautiful and selfless act of helping ponies around me to remember and cherish the love they shared. Or to find new love when they didn’t even realize it was there. It made me feel happy to share their happiness, it was a joy to know I was a part of that pure emotion and it made my heart fill with even more love to give. I think I walked around with a smile permanently glued on my face for the next week or so spreading my new spell to unsuspecting nobleponies everywhere I went. But I was just a little filly then. Not aware that one day I too would wish for some of that happiness. I too would want to experience the happiness and joy I was able to share with others so easily. Someday I’d want to fall in love too.

I was a princess. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. A name really; a title. The real princess was my aunt, Celestia who lived in Canterlot and ruled all of Equestria in a beautiful snow white castle. Again, Princess Celestia was not my real aunt. She was not my mother or father’s sister. She was related to us in a roundabout way that preceded both my parents by hundreds of years. She had been alive for over a thousand years after all. A fate I may or may not be sharing as I was the same as her in one way- an alicorn. A rare type of pony only born within the royal family with both a unicorn horn and pegasus wings and magic that could be developed into something spectacular. Along with an unpredictable lifespan that may have me outliving my family and friends and something I preferred not to think about.

Even within the royal family alicorns were rare now. I think I may have one other cousin in Germaney who shared the Sacred Bloodline as my father sometimes proudly called it. But I was the eldest for most of my life, which would abruptly change about 10 years later when the aunt I never even knew I had was released from her prison in the moon and came back to rule along with her sister Princess Celestia. But that is another story.

When I was born in the marediteranean city of Roam in the region of Istalia, there was great celebration, as there always was when an alicorn was born to continue the great but dwindling race. I was also next in line for the crown of all of Equestria if ever Princess Celestia could no longer do her duty, but I didn’t think that would ever happen. I was protected as a commodity and hailed as the little princess of our small kingdom along with my parents who were duke and duchess respectively. And when I say protected, I mean I was shielded from any type of danger and therefore any freedom other ponies my age experienced. I had private tutors for my lessons, a nanny who structured every moment of my day so there was no time for me to play with other fillies or colts, and any time spent outdoors was with a royal guard or my parents during some sort of royal procession or dull garden party.

The only time I saw other ponies my age, or at least closer to my age then the royal court, was at these regal events, and even then they were just my cousins from other regions who I never had a chance to grow close to. They were all unicorn fillies and colts and they seemed to think I was stuck up or something just because I was one of the Sacred Alicorns.

Also, the so-called ‘Sacred Alicorns’ seemed to take longer to develop their magic then other unicorns so my cousins all could do complex spells while I was still struggling with levitating things. It didn’t help my popularity with them and things just got worse when a new alicorn prince was born and I even lost that which had made me special.

So, you see I was a lonely little filly when I was young. My parents both loved me, they tried to always be there for me even with their busy schedules, and they protected me not just as a Sacred Alicorn, but as their daughter, so I cannot say I never knew love, but I never really had a friend to play and share stories with. Another filly to tell secrets and have slumber parties with, or colt to gallop and wrestle with. Maybe that is why when my talent appeared it was to spread love to others. I had too much inside me that I hadn’t ever had the chance to give away.

The summer I turned thirteen my family and I visited Canterlot and my aunt Celestia. We had traveled to Canterlot a few times before and I loved seeing my aunt who was gentle and kind, but also had a sense of humor and would help me play tricks on my silly cousin Blueblood who mostly got what he deserved. She was also the only other alicorn I could talk to, and she made me feel more comfortable about the great burden I was carrying as a princess and member of the sacred race. But what made this visit special was that I was finally going to get the freedom and chance to make friends that I craved.

Princess Celestia was going to mentor me personally in the development of my alicorn magic and I was going to stay without my parents, nanny or royal advisors in the Canterlot castle. I would be alone and independent for the first time in my life and I was so happy I was bouncing around the chambers like a foal. Because Princess Celestia still had her royal duties my lessons were only going to be in the morning and I would have the afternoon free to explore Canterlot and finally find somepony to play with. Or so I had thought. No, my aunt had other plans for me.

After my first lesson (which, I might add, I think I did quite well in), she told me that one of her royal adviser’s fillies needed foal sitting in the afternoon while her parents worked at the castle, and she thought I would be the perfect foal sitter with all the free time I had in the afternoon. My happy plans for fun and friendship shattered in my heart, but I gave a sheepish smile and accepted the job, because I couldn’t very well refuse the wishes of the princess. Maybe if I had told her how lonely I felt and how I just wanted the chance to find a friend during my time in Canterlot she would have let me off the hook, but fate works in mysterious ways and accepting the job of taking care of that little filly would lead to not only my first real friendship, but something much more, and I knew I would never forget that summer I spent in the castle town of Canterlot where I learned true magic and where I found true love.