• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 4,080 Views, 347 Comments

Growing A Shell - bluemoon1996



Creating characters for a fandom you love is fine and dandy. But turning into them? That's another story.

  • ...
13
 347
 4,080

Family time

I let out a sigh as we rumbled up the gravel driveway to reveal that no one was home. Okay, that gave us some time to think of a way to explain this to Mom and Danny. A small shiver of dread ran up my back as I turned off the engine; me and Dan weren't exactly on speaking terms after a incident two weeks ago. At least mom would be able to help me explain this to him; that is if she gets home before she comes to pick Kylie up.

As we hopped out the truck, we were greeted by the sight of our old German Shephard Corvo coming around the corner into view. The big fluffball trotted up to Kylie and she hugged him, the old guy wagging his tail like mad. I couldn't help but smile at the sight; Kylie gave Corvo a hug almost everyday, but with all the weirdness of earlier, this normal occurrence just seemed beautiful.

I grabbed mine and Kylie's backpacks, "Come on Kylie, I gotta do some research and we need to figure out how we're gonna explain this to Grandma and Danny."

She nodded, "okay Unkee Johnny!" And the two of us made our way inside. Once indoors, Kylie hurried into the living room and flopped down on the couch, grabbing the TV remote as I made my way over to the stairs. "I'm going to grab my laptop and be back down in a sec, okay?"

She nodded as I began to climb the stairs. After I quickly slipped through the organized chaos that is my bedroom and grabbed my laptop, I made my way back down to Kylie. Once I saw what she was watching I had to facepalm. She was watching ponies; more specifically A Canterlot Wedding.

She gave a confused look as I sat down next to her, "What? It's something we both like?"

-----

"Chicago?" I blurted out randomly as I soaked up the information on the forum. This wasn't just us, this was happening to bronies all across the globe. And the numbskulls who caused this were calling all those affected to come to Chicago so they could tell the world that they screwed up and everybrony was now turning into ponies.

My eyes widened in alarm as my brain screeched to a halt; turning into ponies!?! The holes in my forearms hit me like a ton of bricks and a knot formed in my stomach. I was turning into a changeling!

For a split second, I could hear the voice of Doppel offering me a cookie again. Now is not the time brain!

Kylie gave a confused look, "What about Chicago?"

"I'll tell you in a minute," I gave her a poor poker face as I took a few deep breaths to calm myself. I could work myself into a panic extremely easy if I wasn't careful.

"Tell me now," Kylie just gave me a rather bemused glare, "or I'll start Rarity whining...." I could feel the impatience radiating off her.

I glared back at her, "you wouldn't dare."

She took in a deep breath and began in the most ear bleedingly high pitch imaginable, "Oh this couch is too lumpy! It's too hot in here! My foot itches! Why won't it ever snow here! I want sn-"

My hand reached out and grabbed her mouth, clamping it shut. "Fine I'll tell you, just for the love of all that is sacred and holy stop that!" She gave me a shit eating grin as I pulled my hand away from her face. I really hate that girl sometimes; she knew all my buttons and was all too willing to press them.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes as I though of a way to explain this to her. How in the hell do you tell a six year old she's turning into a zebra from a kids cartoon and that you're turning into a love sucking insect shapeshifter?

"Kylie," I began, "promise you won't freak out okay?"

She nodded. "Well, it seems that we're turning into ponies. More specifically, you into a zebra and me into a changeling." I immediately cringed, waiting for the freakout I was expecting.

But she didn't flip out, scream, or anything I was expecting. "Well, we better think of a way to explain this," she said calmly. Wait, just what? I just stared dumbfounded; she's not even freaking out!

She reached forward and slapped me on the cheek, "Come on Unkee Johnny, I may be six but I'm not stupid." She smirked


I don’t know for how long, but Kylie and I spent the time trying to figure out a way for us to explain the fact we were turning into a zebra and glorified cockroach to my mother and brother.

I rubbed my eyes as I slumped back in the couch, "this plan is just utterly stupid Kylie..."

She looked over at me from the chair she had moved to, "I don't see you coming up with anything?"

"I suggested we just be honest," I groaned as I looked up at the clock to see it showed 6:30, "mom or Danny could be home any minute and we got jack squat!" Mom should be home by now, where is she?

"Yeah we do!"

"Where are we gunna get a midget in Buckingham Palace guard attire??? The only reason Mom wouldn't freakout is the sheer insanity of your plan!" At least my idea was just blunt and too the point; no need to be over the top when we can just say it and get it done.

"You have no imagination," Kylie pouted, crossing her arms.

"Honesty is the best policy," I retorted.

Kylie opened her mouth to say something but the bright lights of a car swept across the windows facing the driveway. "Crap, someone is home!" My blood ran cold as I hopped to my feet and rolled back down my sleeves of my jacket, "Kylie put on your jacket and let me do the talking!"

"Still think my idea is better," she said glumly as she slipped on her pink hoodie. I quickly reached the door and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw my mom's old Ford Taurus through the built-in window. The trunk popped open as mom got out and she grabbed her lunchbox and massive purse before she began to make her way to the door.

Kylie came up beside me and peaked through the door's window before suddenly yanking it open and zooming outside shouting, "grandma!" in that obnoxiously high pitch yell that all little kids have. I calmly followed her out as my mom put down her things and wrapped Kylie in a big bear hug.

My Mom was a bear of a woman, both metaphorically and physically. A stout forty-five year old cafeteria lady who looked like she could beat the living snot out of anyone and she could. If you ever pissed her off or harmed her kids in any way, shape, or form, she would make your life a living hell. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned was definitely in effect with her.

Okay Johnny, time to be smooth. "Let me get your stuff for you," I said as I grabbed the lunch box and her massive purse, which felt like it weighed a ton. Seriously, it felt she filled the thing with cement! I'll never understand the thing about ladies and stuffing absolutely everything in their purses.

"Thanks Johnny," Mom said as she stood back up and the trio of us began to make our way back inside.

"How was the drive home?" I asked, attempting to make some small talk to ease into the situation.

"Bizarre," she replied as we got inside.

"How so?"

“Alotta people were driving, well, rather oddly."

“I-I wonder why...” My smile started to falter into a nervous twitch, and I was certain that she could tell just though the sound in my voice.

Thankfully, she was in front of little pack as we entered the living room so she didn't see. “Well either way, there ain't much we can do," she sat herself down in her chair, "so how was your day you two?"

Before I could even open my mouth Kylie was off. "It was super fantabulous Grandma! Miss Gilsdorf wasn't there so we had a sub and she was the most awesome sub ever! She let-"

As Kylie ranted on about her day, I rubbed my arms, feeling the holes though the my jacket sleeves. How in the hell were we gunna explain this to her! Mom isn't going believe me if I just flat out say that we were turning into characters from a cartoon show . She's a logical woman; sure, she did some stuff back in the eighti-

"Johnny what's the matter?"

I was emerged from my internal freakout to see that Mom was looking directly at me, waiting for a reply.

Game over man! Game over! Mom can read you like a open book amigo! Might as well abandon ship while you can!

SHUT UP BRAIN!

You're doomed!~

I smiled weakly as I stopped rubbing my arms, "Nothing is wrong Mom. I... I was just thinking about... stuff that happened today; yeah, just thinking about stuff that happened earlier," I gave her what was probabaly one of my worst poker faces ever.

Kylie just facepalmed.

Mom gave me the look that only she could do. A glare that could put even the most angry of little Mexican grandmas to shame. A glare that screamed I don't care that you're legally an adult, I am still your mother and spank you till your butt is beet red. "Johnny Ray Finley Junior, tell me the truth," she said in an unnervingly calm tone.

SHE USED THE FULL NAME! ABANDON SHIP!

My bottom lip quivered as my ability to speak seemed to screech to a halt. Damn it, I knew I never should have even tried lying to her! I'm a terrible liar!

"S-something happened," I finally managed to eep out, "Something b-"

It was in that moment that my jaw nearly hit the floor as I saw Kylie's human ear melt into her head and a few seconds later, a pair of little, fuzzy, grey ears popped out from under her hair.

My hands immediately shot up to the side of my head and I breathed a sigh of relief, thank Celestia I still have my ears!

More importantly, why didn’t I say “Thank God?”

Please don’t remind me of that at the moment brain. I just saw my niece sprout horse ears!

Mom had a look of shock on her face as she just stated, "Eyes... Ears... What??" was all she was able to manage, her eyes rapidly switching between myself and Kylie.

Eyes? I sighed, that's gotta be me. A shiver of fear ran up my spine as I pulled out my phone from my pocket. How much of a freak do I look like now? Have I gone from a packers fan gone too far to full-on abhuman? I switched my phones camera to the self photo mode and I let out a terrified eep.

Green! My eye was completely and utterly green; White and all! I didn't even have a pupil anymore! Tears beginning to form in my inhuman eyes as I looked back up at Mom.

"I... what just happened?!?"

"I-I don't know," I stammered, "and it's worse... For me at least." I took off my jacket.

Her look of confusion turned to one of horror as she saw the holes that dotted my arms, "Dear God..."

That look was the straw that broke the camels back. The floodgates broke and the tears began streaming as I put my head in my hands. I'm a god damn freak! What's next, my eyes turn compound!

I don't know how long I was crying but I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt arms wrap around me from both side. I looked up to see mom had moved and was now sitting on the opposite side of Kylie; the two were currently making me the meat of a hug sandwich. I barely managed to hold back another bout of tears as I hugged moms tightly. "I-I'm scared..." I managed to croak pitifully into her shirt, "I don't I so what to do."

"It's going to be okay," She said softly, gently patted me on the back.

I pulled out of the hug and looked up at her, "No it's not, This is happening globally. People every everywhere are changing... Hell, this happened to Sage and Dalton too!"

"Changing into what?"

"Ponies!," Kylie answered with surprising enthusiasm, "I'm turning into a adorable zebra!" I scoffed a bit, but couldn’t stop the laugh from escaping my throat.

Mom released me from my hug as Kylie began to fill her in on the details of what we had learned. I zoned out as I watched Kylie's ears; the little things were twitching every so often as she talked...

....talk....

Balls, I forgot to call Dalton and Sage!

"I need to go make a call," I jumped up and zoomed towards the door, leaving both my mother and niece looking rather confused.


"You grew a horn?"

"Yes indeedy," she replied, a hint of giddiness in her voice, "I'm now one hundred percent horny!"

The resulting facepalm could be heard 'round the world, "really? Just really??"

"Bad joke?"

"On par with dead baby jokes," I said bluntly. Okay, Sage is turning into a unicorn but what about Dalton?

"Have you heard anything from Dalton since school?" I asked, "I tried calling him first but he didn't pick up."

"No," Sage replied, a hint of worry in her voice, "are you think what I'm thinking?"

"Y-yeah." Dalton's parents weren't exactly the most understanding of people. They fit almost every stereotype that you could label someone from rural Texas under. Many scenarios began running through my head from him getting kicked out to him getting shot.
"Sage, you keep on trying to get your dad to let us use your RV to go Chicago. I'm gonna drive out to Dalton's place to see if I can find him."

"Alright," she said before I hung up and headed back inside.

Mom and Kylie were still in the living room, though they were now watching some TV. "hey Mom, I'm going over to Dalton's place. I haven't heard anything from him."

"Alright, just come back soon oka-"

My phone suddenly began going off, cutting mom off mid sentence. I pulled it out of my pocket and laughed slightly, "Speak of the devil and he shall appear, it's a text from Dalton!"

"Well, what does it say?" Both mom and Kylie said almost simultaneously.

"Come quick."

Author's Note:

Sorry if this isn't the same quality the last chapter, I suck at doing emotional stuff

Questions, comments, concerns? You know where to put 'em!


Edited by the still awesome Greycait