• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 3,737 Views, 157 Comments

Adventures in Homeownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks - Honey Mead



Twilight and Celestia decide to take a break from ruling Equestria to live for a few decades as average everyday ponies.

  • ...
21
 157
 3,737

Forte

Adventures in Homeownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks: Forte

Celestia found her where she always did, in the Canterlot Archives… shelving.

Luna was already there, doing her best to quell the panicked librarians who’d fled the hurricane of books and scrolls. They spoke briefly, sharing a heartfelt, if rushed, reunion after nearly a year of being apart for the first time since Luna’s return.

Then Celestia journeyed into the storm.

She became as a second eye, her magic overtaking Twilight’s and setting order to the chaos around her. By the time she reached her wife, she had a library’s worth of tomes hovering behind her.

She wasn’t crying, which Celestia wasn’t convinced was a good thing, sitting ramrod straight as her magic continued to manipulate fully half the archive’s books. Nor did she react as Celestia sat behind her, wrapping her in wings and legs until only her head was visible through the wall of white.

“It was a stupid idea.”

“It was a wonderful idea.”

“It was selfish.”

“You thought only of me.”

“Our neighbors hate us.”

“We’ve brought them entertainment and laughter.”

“It was all a lie.”

“We’ve never been more true to ourselves.”

“We abandoned our duties.”

“We gave others a chance to shine.”

“Stop disagreeing with me.”

“Stop speaking nonsense.”

Twilight finally moved, turning her head so she could see Celestia. Only for Celestia to cut her off before she could speak.

“I am fluent in fifteen languages, three of which are long dead. I have learned to play every instrument equines have crafted, and many that they didn’t. I can paint and draw and sculpt. I have written more than a hundred novels—no I won’t tell you which ones. I am an inventor. I keep up-to-date with every field of study. I have acted in plays and directed them too. I knit and sew, and forge iron and steel.

“None of those things are my forte, My Love. They are things which I have learned, many through struggle and strife, over the course of my many, many years. It took me a year of trial and error before I made my first edible cake.

“When you found your talent, you pursued it with the same eager passion that every pony does. Now that you’ve mastered it, you find yourself looking out from your high plateau to see all those others, the chefs and artists and carpenters, and you see them doing the things they do and thinking, ‘I should be able to do that too’. And you can, but just like everypony else, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

“You will fail, Twilight. You will stumble and fall… and then you will stand back up and continue on. And one day you will reach the summit, only to see another plateau you have yet to master. It is a never ending road we walk, My Love, but you do not walk it alone. Come home, and let’s begin our journey.”