• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 3,719 Views, 157 Comments

Adventures in Homeownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks - Honey Mead



Twilight and Celestia decide to take a break from ruling Equestria to live for a few decades as average everyday ponies.

  • ...
21
 157
 3,719

We Need to Talk

Adventures in Homeownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks: We Need To Talk

Dearest Sister,

How are things in Canterlot? I trust that the ladies and lords are not causing you too much trouble.

I meant to mention this before we left, but things were so hectic that it slipped my mind. Lord Cinnabar is not to be allowed in the archives under any circumstances. The guards already know this, but I fear they will not impose if you are at his side. I know that it seems silly, but trust me, it’s for the best.

I know you and Kibitz don’t exactly see eye to eye on things, but do try to be patient with him. He’s been invaluable to me for years and I know that he will be no less useful to you. Promise me you’ll hear him out.

Things out here are different.

As much as I always wanted out little ponies to treat me as something less than an avatar of perfection, it will be some time before I am accustomed to them not bowing everytime I enter a room. Not that I miss it, of course. That is the least of it, however. It has been so very long since I had to look up to somepony. For those first few days I swear I was talking at everyponies’ hooves. Once Twil Dusky—you have no idea how many times both of us have nearly messed that up—noticed, she suggested that I try to stay airborne more often. Though that has helped, it gets tiring after a while. I suppose I shall have to buck up and get used to it. The things we do for love.

Dusky is still looking for a job. As it turns out, though she is no less skilled than before, there aren’t terribly many low-key positions to which she is inclined. The town already has a librarian who is, I must say, rather abrasive. There are no more openings in at the school, none that she’d be able to teach.

That brings me to the reason for this letter. We seem to have underestimated our expense. As loath as I am to ask, would it be too much trouble to wire us a few bits to hold us over until we get our finances straight?

Sincerly,

Princess Sunny Skies

P.S.

If Philomina is giving you any trouble, you tell her that just because I am not home now, doesn’t mean that I can’t pop in at any time.

Dearest Sunny Skies,

It is a very different city without you. It is… hard to pin down what it is. I cannot say that it is good or bad, simply that it is there. We all miss you already sister, and it will be a long few years for us. Never the less, I believe that Twilight—even I’m doing it—Lady Sparks was correct, all of us will benefit from your time away.

The ‘nobles’, as they insist on being referred to, are no trouble at all, though I doubt they would say the same thing of me. You’ve coddled them far too much and for too long, and I refuse to do so. Many are already showing vast improvements, and I believe you will be best pleased when you visit next.

I did, in point of fact, accompany Lord Cinnabar to the archives recently, the day after you left now that I think on it. He seemed harmless enough. As chance has it, I did not leave his side until we both left. Pray tell, what cause is there to deny him access?

Kibitz is an old crusty mule, but I perceive his usefulness. I doubt that an evening will go by that we do not cross horns on some issue or another, but fear not that I shall ignore his words because we fail to agree. I will remind you that you and I are rarely in alignment on many topics, yet I always heed your council.

Ha! Your words were always more modest than your heart Tia! This shall be a truly humbling experience for thee !

Do not fret about the funds. I shall have them sent forthwith.

Sincerly,

Princess Luna

P.S. Your demon bird and I have reached an understanding.

P.P.S. If you are wondering why I sent this with the regular post, it is because I wanted to make sure the funds had time to arrive first. Your addiction is appalling and I will not be a party to it any longer. Love you, sis!

Sunny Skies froze halfway in the door, Luna's letter slipping out of her primaries to reveal the dark violet face of her wife. A sizable pouch of bits hung in the air beside her, a little, folded card dangling from the cinch-cord with the words ‘Pastry Fund’ just visible. Sunny tried to force a smile.

She failed.

“I think we need to talk.”