• Published 26th Aug 2014
  • 729 Views, 9 Comments

Thinking with Portals - datLunarRepublican



Busy streets are filled with negotiation chatter and advertisements. Everypony is selling and buying and working and looking, while Twilight, is thinking. She found a strange Spell book. What spells does it contain? Where did it come from?

  • ...
1
 9
 729

1: The Spell

The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. The grass is lime green. And everypony is BUSY. Tradeposts are drowning in customers and carts are being pulled as entrepreneurs try to sell. The best day of summer is rejected by focus on daily life.

As Twilight walked down the dirt road, she kept wondering where that weird spell book came from. Its appearance made the mystery harder to solve. She had found it on her library's floor when she arrived home the previous day. It wasn't like any other spell book. It had a hard, white cover, almost like a shell. Light blue lines bordered the top corners, and sometimes they would even glow. But the main attraction on the book, was an odd symbol at the front. It was a circle made of black triangles, all perfectly aligned to make an Aperture-like shape. Twilight guessed it was the symbol for all the spells it contained, as that's what most spell books had. But there was one particular spell that hooked on to Twilight's thoughts.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As GlaDOS finished the new test, she looked upon her one and only test subject. Chell had just come into the new test chamber when GLaDOS finished it.

"This test involves the high energy pellet." GLaDOS explained. "You remember them, right? Oh, of course you don't. There is not enough capacity in your small, primitive brain to remember."

Chell gave an angry look as she inspected her surroundings. It had been nearly two weeks since Wheatley lost control of the facility. GLaDOS regretted not letting go of the personality core when everything was being sucked into the void they called "space." She had an odd feeling, though, as if something was missing. Though she did have future plans for Wheatley, and she couldn't wait to finally punish that stupid metal ball for what he did...


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Twilight was at her bed, staring at the book as she swam in an ocean of thoughts. The sun cast rays of light through the window as silence filled the room. After a long moment of peace, she opened up the book to page 224. She searched on the delicate, yet firm paper page until she finally found what she was looking for.

"The Portal Spell." Twilight read out loud to herself.

It was the spell she had always been thinking about. She didn't know what it was, but something about it made it different. She read the directions to achieving the desired results of the spell. WARNING: THIS SPELL WILL DRAIN THE SUBJECT'S MAGIC FOR [50] DAYS. Twilight had thought over this warning countless amounts of time. She had even talked to the princesses about the book, but they weren't willing to risk injures, or even deaths. But Twilight disagreed. She was sure, no, she KNEW there was something behind the spell's occurance. She knew something extraordinary would happen. She knew this wasn't some spell book to learn how to do little tricks. This book was far beyond that. Twilight stood up, book being held with magic, and walked over to the center of her library.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chell was at least half way done with the current test chamber (or at least she thought so). She could see a cube on a raised platform off in the distance, as the chamber was quite large. That was the last piece to the puzzle. She noticed a portal surface above the platfrom, making it easier for her to gain access to the top of the platform. She turned to her right and placed a blue portal, planning to place an orange portal on the panel that would lead her to the cube. But when she did so, a force pushed her off her feet. Her eyes slowly closed. She tried her best to open them, but it was no use. All she could see at that very moment, was pure white.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Twilight, with all her might, forced magic into her horn. She weakened slowly as she used all her strength on casting the spell. her horn glowed brighter and brighter by the second and her body felt weaker and weaker. Then, all she could see was the blinding color white.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chell opened her eyes. She noticed she was still in the test chamber.

"What happened? What's going on?" GLaDOS said, never sounding this confused before in her artificial life.

Chell got on her feet, rubbing the back of her head. The first thing she noticed was the blue portal in front of her. Her mind raced as she saw what was on the other side of that very portal.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Twilight woke up breathing heavily as beads of sweat ran down the side of her head. She looked up, only to see a strange creature in the center of her library. It was wearing some weird boots, orange pants, and a white shirt that had the same symbol as the book, only this time it had the words Aperture Laboratories next to it. Twilight immediately crawled back as she stared at the odd creature. It had ape-like similarities, though it didn't have as much hair. It seemed to be more sophisticated and advanced than any known species to Equestria.

"Wh-what are you?" Twilight stammered.

The creature didn't answer. Seconds passed as the two entities in the room stared at each other with confusion. In those seconds that passed, curiosity blended into Twilight. She stood up and slowly trotted over to the creature.

"H-hello?" Twilight said as she tried to comprehend whether or not the creature could speak. "Can you speak?"

It just stared at her. Twilight noticed it was holding an object. It seemed to be some kind of weapon, though those weapons had been banned and forgotten from Equestria. But this device seemed way different than what she had seen in her history books. It had the same white, shell-like material the spell book had. A black claw was at the opposite end of the device.

"Hi," Twilight said, gaining more confidence. "My name is Twilight. Twilight Sparkle, to be exact."

The creature slowly waved at Twilight. It knows what I said! Twilight thought excitedly.

"What is going on here?!" a weird voice said. It sounded feminine, but the flow of the words was straight. "Where's Chell?"

Twilight jumped a bit as she heard the voice. Twilight took a peek behind the creature. She saw a orange, glowing oval-shaped hole, just big enough for the creature to step into. It seemed to be made of fire. Inside the fire oval was an immense room made of white and black rectangles.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" said the voice.

Twilight remained quiet, as she feared what would happen if she answered back.

"A blackout has occurred within the Aperture Science testing facilities. Emergency back up power will be used in the time of environmental, social, economic, or structural collapse. All portals will return to their home devices, and all safety tools will be disabled in three... " said another, yet male, straight voice, though it did seem to have a little more enthusiasm.

"NO!" the feminine voice said as a metallic claw came into the library through the oval and grabbed the creature.

Twilight headed towards the door as fast as her hooves could take her. Fright, confusion, and adrenaline all combined swirled in Twilight's head as her reflexes told her to run and think later.

"Two..." the male voice continued the count down.

"What's this?" the female voice said with hurrying curiosity.

Another claw flew into the room and picked up Twilight just as she was going to reach the door. Twilight struggled and hit the claw with her hooves as hard as she could, but it was no use. It carried Twilight to the oval quickly and brutally as Twilight kept hitting her hooves against the hard, polished, metal claw. Twilight felt warmth coming from the fire oval as she noticed she was right in front to it.

"One."

Author's Note:

I twisted the ending of Portal 2 in this fanfic. I just thought that the same ending repeated in fanfics would get kind of boring, so I decided to go ahead and change it to make it be less dull, and fit in this fanfic. Enjoy!

Comments ( 6 )

4908949

That is unnecessairy.

If you plan on correcting someones work, at least make sure you do not have mistakes yourself.

Not to sound like an ass, it just seemed appropriate to point this out.

You seem to be off on a good start, I will be watching. It should be interesting to see what happens to Chell considering there would be no clear portal surfaces in Ponyville, and that nopony would know about sign language.

4909148 The person it was directed towards took no offense, why do you need to?

Finally, i'm back and new. I must make corrections to this story now.... and write some more. And soon you shall see what is to come. I'm not going cliche on this story where chell does sign language and all that stuff. "I'm different."

FINALLY! Done with the first chapter. Sry I didn't write much. I was too distracted with other things in my life. Anyway, I know this chapter is short, but I guarantee they will get longer as the story proceeds. Enjoy! :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment