• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 4,471 Views, 67 Comments

The Alicorn Cutie Mark - Dashea Rayne



In a new attempt to acquiring their Cutie Marks, the CMC decide to explore the ruins beneath the Castle of the Two Sisters.

  • ...
16
 67
 4,471

Chapter 1

Silhouettes of nightmarish creatures capered about. A handful detaching from the main group, they lurched after her as she galloped through a hellish landscape that was near barren except for skeletal trees that dotted here and there. Arms, horribly distorted, reached for her and she neighed in terror as she imagined their razor-sharp claws raking across her flank and tangling in her main.

With a lurch, mostly because of the train clunking as it slowed down, Aurora Belle came awake. Blinking, looking sleepily, stupidly, around, she at first could not understand why was on a train. The nightmare, the same one she had intermittently for some time now, gradually slipped away as it came back to her all that had led her to this moment. Turning to look out the window, she sighed in resignation as she watched the train station draw closer.

All she wanted was her cutie mark. And it wasn’t for lack of trying that she didn’t have one yet. But, after a number of incidents, including one that involved a couple avocados that somehow ended up getting bucked through a ventilation, another that involved five pounds of raw oatmeal and her getting banned from Applewood Bowling Lanes, and lastly one that had turned out to be a misunderstanding and had led to her being bullied and harassed by a group of neighbourhood hooligans, she had been put on a train bound for Ponyville.

What she now found pointless was that, looking back, she couldn’t really be sure why she did the things she had done, as they had always ended with her still having a blank flank and often covered in something sticky, like sap or a syrup of some sort. And the thing that had finally pushed her mom to tell her, “You’re going to Ponyville to live with your aunt Sweetie Belle,” really hadn’t been her fault, despite what truant officer Cropkey insisted. It had been simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, mixed in with the neighbourhood filly and colt troublemakers who continuously tormented her.

“Next stop, Ponyville,” the conductor Pony suddenly cried out, breaking her out of her thoughts and watching as the train pulled into the station and slowed to a stop, Aurora Belle again sighed in resignation.

She missed Applewood, her mom, and her school, even though she really didn’t have anyone she could actually call a friend, as most were mere passing acquaintances. She wanted to go home, not be stuck with some relation she really didn’t know, yet was somepony her mom was certain could help her. Glancing one final time out the window, trying to get a good look at the town, but was unable to, she thought she would dislike it as she hopped down off the seat. Levitating her carry-on bag down out of the luggage rack, she trotted slowly down the main aisle toward the door.

After she’d disembarked it didn’t take her long to locate her two suitcases. Still unused to making more then one item float, she clumsily floating all three onto a cart then began to push it through the throng of Ponies. Wondering if any of them was Sweetie Belle, the Unicorn filly watched as the station slowly cleared out, leaving only the normal personal. Grousing about not being met, it came back to her how her mother had given her aunt’s home address. Figuring it must have been expected Sweetie Belle wouldn’t be able to meet her at the station, Aurora huffed and awkwardly floated two of her bags, clamped the third firmly in her mouth and hastily walked out of the station.

Outside, she found the street crowded with mares and stallions going about their business as they rushed to some destination, chatted with neighbours and friends, or visited the shops and stalls. Looking about, Aurora realised that she had no idea where to find her aunt’s place as she peered at all the nearby buildings. Choosing a direction, she began trotting, stopping every so often to let up on her magick to adjust her spell, which was wearing her out. Twenty minutes or so later, after having stopped and asked for a directions from a couple Ponies, one or two Hippogriffs and a Griffon who had demanded, “Got any bits?” Aurora angrily spat out her bag and gazed incredulously at the front door of what she guessed was her aunt’s cottage barely giving it a second thought as her other two suitcases thumped loudly onto the ground a couple steps behind her.

Unable to believe what she was seeing, the Unicorn filly stared at the note affixed to the door a moment longer before using her magick to pull it down. Her mystic ability, near drained after the strenuous task of floating things for such a long time, fizzing out, she watched the bit of paper sink to the ground. Stepping closer, she read the top line and confirmed it was indeed for her. Scanning the rest of the parchment, she read:

Aurora Belle

I am sorry that I was unable meet you at the train station or at home. An emergency came up that I could not get out of and I had to take care of it. I will see you later today, after school.

“School?!” the filly squeaked out, finding it incredible that she had only arrived and already she was expected to go to school. Flabbergasted by this, she looked at the rest of what her aunt wrote and read:

An old friend of mine will meet you at Sugar Cube Corners at eight, provided your train gets in on time. She will take you to school, as it has been arranged for you to be in her class. I trust you brought stuff with. If this is so, leave your bags just inside and when you get home later I will help you get settled. In the meantime, welcome to Ponyville. I know you are going to love it here and any way I can help you, especially in matters regarding cutie marks, I’ll be there.

Love

Sweetie Belle

Frustrated by the note, Aurora re-read it to see if she missed anything, including who was supposed to meet her and where Sugar Cube Corners was. Managing to coax a titbit of magick from her horn, she flipped the paper over to see if anything had been written on the back. Finding only instructions on how to get to her next destination, the filly snipped, “At least she left me directions,” as she read how to get to Sugar Cube Corners, then noted Sweetie Belle had also left instructions on how to find the school, which Aurora thought looked like it was on the other side of Ponyville.

Still unhappy, she used her magick to crumple the note. Glad that at least her mystic abilities hadn’t been too badly affected by her extraneous usage and were at least returning to what she viewed as normal, she crammed the note in her carry-on bag. Unsure of exactly what time it was, she heaved a sigh, dipped her head, bit down on the handle on the closest piece of luggage and began to drag her bags into her aunt’s cottage, of which she half expected to be locked, and was thankful it wasn’t.

After she had set in her stuff inside, Aurora hurried in the direction of Sugar Cube Corner. Spotting a clock tower in the distance, she noted that it was nearly seven forty. Worried she would be late, she broke into a gallop until she approached what she guessed was the place she was her destination. Slowing, the filly started searching the crowd of Ponies as she approached a pink building that she thought looked a little like a gingerbread house.

As she scanned the crowd of mares and stallions, observing that there was no fillies or colts in the crowd, which she figured was because they must be already at school, the Unicorn filly noted that there didn’t appear to be any particular Pony who stood out as waiting for somepony. Drawing closer to the building, feeling like she was wasting her time, figuring that if nopony called out to her she would start toward the school, she turned and searched the crowd. Worried that she would be late for her first day of school, she continued to scan the crowd, the rich, fragrant smell of baked goods, many she noted obviously prepared with apples, wafting out the nearby open door as she did so.

Her stomach rumbled with hunger as she smelled more and more of the delicious aromas and after a moment, as she grew more and more certain she wasn’t going to find whomever her aunt had meant for to meet, she began wishing she had a couple of bits to purchase something from the bakery. Thinking about the blueberry scone her mom had packed her, which she had eaten shortly before bordering the train, she took a steps back the way she’d come and stopped when she heard a haughty voice state, “Do tell your mom and dad I said hello,” and glancing in the direction of the speaker, Aurora watched as an Earth Pony with a crown for a cutie mark exited the building.

There was something about the Pony that made her stand out above the rest. Aurora couldn’t quite put her hoof on what it was about the mare, but thought it must be the she seemed to disdain nearly all around her. “Like they are somehow beneath her,” the Unicorn filly decided.

As she watched the Earth Pony, Aurora toyed with the notion, “It’s almost like she’d royalty,” then considered that, if this Earth Pony was so, she wasn’t like Princess Twilight, whom she had seen twice, from a distance, through a crowd.

“Or like the royal sisters,” she mused as she visualised the pictures of Luna and Celestia she had seen in books.

The Earth mare, still pushing her way through the crowd, stopped unexpectedly and, almost as if she was aware she was being stared at, turned her head and gave Aurora a piercing glare. Suddenly acutely aware and ashamed that she had been gawking, and caught doing so, the young Unicorn wished she could be anywhere else at the moment. Then, to her shock, the Earth Pony trotted over to her. Stopping a couple steps away, the mare explained, “It is very rude to stare,” in a tone that declared this was common knowledge and Aurora should know it.

At a loss what she should say, the filly mumbled, “Sorry,” than, as an afterthought, added, “Ma’am.”

“You must be Sweetie Belle’s niece,” the Earth Pony declared as she gave Aurora a critical look, then, before the young Unicorn could say anything, the mare stated, “I do not approve tardiness. It is unbecoming.”

Again, Aurora was overcome with a sense of uncertainty as to what she should say. Everything that had happened and that she felt out of place overwhelming her, the filly stamped a hoof and huffed, “I only just got off the train.”

“Ugh. The train got in nearly fifty minutes ago.”

“Right. And there was no one to meet me, so I had to go find my aunt’s. Only, I didn’t know where it was. And when I found it, there was a note telling me she had gone off to deal with some emergency and I was to meet somepony here. Or head for school.”

Those are excuses, which will often not get you anywhere in life,” the mare stated imperiously, then, without even waiting for Aurora to respond, walked away.

The young Unicorn, stunned by the mare’s behaviour and what she had said, watched the Earth Pony and how other creatures often moved out of her way. Not sure who the mare was, but leaning toward a certainty that she did not want to know, the filly started to turn her attention back to searching for whomever she was supposed to meet when the Earth Pony abruptly stopped and looked back at her. Positive she was about to get another verbal reprimand about something, Aurora was taken aback when the mare stated, “Well. Are you coming. Or are you going to stand there all day.”

Disliking the way the Pony spoke in such snooty tones, Aurora considered ignoring her as she cast at the crowd of Ponies. None of them seeming to stand out as the one aunt Sweetie Belle asked to meet her, the Unicorn filly sighed in resignation and galloped after the mare. Falling in step next to her, the young Unicorn listened as the Earth Pony proclaimed, “I am Diamond Tiara and I will be your teacher whilst you are living in Ponyville.”

Not happy with this, Aurora found herself sinking into a sense of moroseness. Next to her, Diamond Tiara lectured on how, with the opening of Twilight’s School of Friendship, Ponyville had seen an upsurge in residents. Upon hearing this, Aurora Belle turned her attention to studying the various occupants of Ponyville, ranging from Dragons to Griffons to Yaks to Hippogriffs to Zebras, wondering why they had all chosen such a place to call home. Continuing to look at the crowd of creatures, she barely paid attention as her teacher continued on with what she was saying.

“Of course, not every filly and colt, Dragon yearling, young Griffon, Zebras, Hippogriff, and Yak was suitable for Twilight’s school. So, they were sent to Ponyville’s original school house. This meant expanding the school, which my family was only too happy to provide the bits necessary for such a project. Afterward, my teacher, Miss Cheerilee, was made principal and, after much discussion, it was decided to divide the course load between two classes. Former class president Pipsqueak took one class. I took the other.

This was of course a natural choice. Especially as it was Sweetie Belle and her crusader friends who helped me to start on the path to finding the Pony I not only wanted to be, but was meant to be.”

Aurora, still barely taking any of this in, instead resisted the urge to roll her eyes at some of the pretentiousness she was hearing in Diamond Tiara’s speech. Nodding at places she guessed she was supposed to, the Unicorn filly studied the buildings of Ponyville. Finding them rustic, she mentally compared them with what she was familiar with, then found herself wishing she was home as she wondered how long she was to live with her aunt, which brought her back to how all she wanted was her cutie mark. Approaching a particular building that stood out amongst the others, Aurora noted how it looked like a red schoolhouse that had been expanded on.

Diamond Tiara, who was now walking a couple steps in front of the young Unicorn, stated, “Normally, we begin classes at about eight. But for today, we will begin a little later, which means everyone stays a little later than usual,” as she headed inside the building.

Led toward a classroom in what Aurora Belle thought was the older section of the building, she stopped and stared at the sea of faces. At a loss as to where she should sit, the filly scanned the room for an empty desk as Diamond Tiara moved to the front of the room.

When she reached a specific point a couple inches from a stout desk, she faced the class and stamped her hoof. The room quieting, the Earth Pony declared, “Class. Today, we welcome somepony new. I expect you to make Aurora Belle here to feel as welcome as possible,” and glancing down her muzzle at the young Unicorn, Diamond Tiara told her, “Take a seat. You may sit next to Silver Dart,” and extending a hoof, she directed Aurora to the back of the classroom.

Aware of the large number of eyes on her, the Unicorn filly self-consciously trotted quickly to the back of the room. Finding an empty desk that had a slate and writing implement on top of it, she slipped into the seat. Fidgeting for a moment, she tried to get comfortable on the hard wooden chair that was attached to the desk.

In front of her, the Ponies, Zebras, Griffons, Yaks, Hippogriffs, and Dragons that had been watching her gradually turned their attention to the front as Diamond Tiara began her first lecture of the school day. Overwhelmed, struggling to follow along with the lesson, Aurora glanced at the Pony to her right. Immediately, she noticed that, like her, he also was a blank flank. Watching as he doodled on his slate with one of his wings, she waited a couple seconds before whispering, “I’m Aurora Belle.”

A twitch of his free wing, which she took to be his way of waving, and the brilliant cerulean Pegasus dourly said, “I’m Silver Dart,” as he wiped his slate and began drawing a new set of images.