• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 18,931 Views, 995 Comments

Rebirth - The-Pony-Librarian



Through a powerful spell and her own body, Twilight manages to bring her friends back, reborn years after their untimely deaths. With only Spike for support, Twilight not only faces being a mother, but also dark secrets from the Princesses' past

  • ...
67
 995
 18,931

VI

Year 1000, Celestial Era


Celestia looked at the letter and hesitated. She paced, rustled her wings, bit her lip. Everytime she tried to send it, she just...couldn't.
It had been already written out, ready to go. When Twilight's letter had arrived, she picked it up, gotten ready to send it, then dropped it right on the floor.
Now she stared at it like it was a poisonous snake, coiled and ready to strike.
My dearest and most faithful student, Twilight.
It had to be done. There was no other way, or at least, none that she hadn't already tried. Celestia's mind traveled to the village where Cadence had lived. All those ponies killed. For nothing. The element’s wouldn’t even connect with the stupid, useless-
She hadn’t known. She hadn’t known what it would do.
It would just be one this time. Just one pony.
She still couldn't send the letter.
You know that I value your diligence and trust you completely.
She couldn't get the picture out of her mind, of Twilight, her bright, curious, capable Twilight, of all the life being slowly drained from her. It would take years, the process, starting almost unnoticeably and then building and building until everything just- stopped. The Elements were powerful, too powerful, and Twilight would be right in crossfire.
Kindness, Loyalty, Honesty, Generosity, Laughter, they were different, gentler. Magic was the channel, focusing all that raw energy right through the body of it’s host, literally stripping their life from them.
Just one time channeling that much magic would catch up to a mortal, even a powerful one, within years. She had seen that for herself, a long time ago. More would just make it go faster.
It would not be a pleasant end. She knew that firsthoof too.
But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!
It didn't matter. It couldn't matter.
This was the whole reason, after all, her entire purpose for taking in, training...caring for...Twilight. Her sole motivation for taking a personal student. It was for this, every single thing was for this!
The others had been carefully nudged into being in the right place at the right time. Everything was ready.
Still she hesitated.
There was another possibility...If Twilight wasn’t mortal, if she was-
No. That came with a price, a steep one. Making someone immortal had consequences, that power had to come from somewhere.
Someponies, really
Her way was a simple trade off. One for one.
One was an acceptable loss.
She tried to tell herself, at least.
My dear Twilight, there is more to a young pony's life than studying...
Celestia felt ill. Good ponies didn't use other ponies. Good ponies didn't fashion other ponies, like chipping out a form from stone, piece by piece, into their pawns. Into sacrificial lambs. She had believed she was a good pony, long ago. She didn't any more.
It was for Luna, she reminded herself. For Luna.
Celestia had tried not to let herself get too attached to her student.
Until this moment, she had foolishly thought she had been successful.
...so I'm sending you to supervise preparations in this year's Summer Sun Celebration location: Ponyville.
A celebration fashioned to honor her mistakes. Funny how things worked out that way.
Would they be so proud of their ruler if they knew what she had done, what she was about to do?
Celestia doubted it.
Would Twilight still love her if she knew?
Yes. That was the worst part.
If at that moment, she ripped up that letter, teleported to Twilight, and told her she would have to sacrifice herself to defeat Nightmare Moon, Celestia held no uncertainties that she would be met with a brave face, and an even braver nod.
"What do I need to do?" She would say, with a look of pure determination in her eyes, and Celestia wouldn't be able to meet them. Not once. Somehow, paradoxically, it would be easier to lead her unknowingly to her demise, than look her in the eyes right then.
She took the letter in her magic and regarded it, blank-faced. This was the price that she had to pay to get her sister back. The price that somepony else would have to pay, really. If Celestia could do it in her place, she would! In a heartbeat! In an instant!
That changed nothing though, because she couldn't. That weight rested on her conscience like the moon. The moon and a village full of ponies plus five twice, and one, one little unicorn.
All her fault.
And I have one more essential task left for you.
The letter disappeared, and Celestia let out a soft breath.
Sometimes life as a ruler required her making tough decisions. It had been banish her sister, or let the land be covered in eternal night. Before that it was turn an old friend to stone, or risk the kingdom being turned into a sump of madness. Before that, it was make an unthinkable sacrifice, or let a pony she had come to love die. She wondered if she had made the right decision, all of those times, often.
This choice however, was the hardest she'd ever made.
But really, in the end, it was simple. To get her sister back, the Elements of Harmony had to be used, and to use the Elements...
Make some friends!
Twilight Sparkle had to die.

Author's Note:

So that was a reaaallly long break. Hopefully I should be getting more free time to write now though, so fingers crossed.
Thanks so much for reading! -and for your incredible patience :twilightoops:
Super giant thanks to my awsome editor theGECK, seriously, you rock!