• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 18,928 Views, 995 Comments

Rebirth - The-Pony-Librarian



Through a powerful spell and her own body, Twilight manages to bring her friends back, reborn years after their untimely deaths. With only Spike for support, Twilight not only faces being a mother, but also dark secrets from the Princesses' past

  • ...
67
 995
 18,928

II

Princess Celestia, guiding spirit, protector, and Grand Diarch of Equestria, Ex Solis Invictus, bit her the inside of her cheek. Hard.

She walked through what must have been the nursery, looking carefully at each of the five little cribs, all five carefully stocked with soft blankets and pillows and stuffed toys. She pulled one out, a light grey pony with a string mane, donning a pair of tiny blue trousers. It floated and danced like a thing almost alive in the golden glow of her magic. A soft sound escaped from her mouth, a quick exhale, a cross between a sigh and a sob, punctuating the stillness of the castle,

Not the original of course. The design was rather ubiquitous, something that could be seen anywhere, and he original Smarty Pants would have been over three hundred years old...but for a second, she had almost thought in was.

The corner of her mouth twitched upwards slightly. Still she bit down on her cheek.

It had been so long ago, when Twilight had come under her care, cheerfully dragging that doll behind her wherever she went. Over three hundred years.

A wonderful, terrible, time.

Still gently toting the toy in her magic, Celestia found herself walking through a long hallway to a pair of double doors. Magically sealed. They swung open gently as she snapped the enchanted bonds, bringing with them a gust of stale air, in stark contrast to the warm scents of life that filled the rest of the castle. Lavender potpourri, filling little pots scattered around the house, the fragrance of Twilight's favorite Earl Grey, a half-pot of which sat cooling on a table upstairs, faintly, the smell of baby powder, and, just underneath that, a familiar black currant shampoo.

None of it permeated this room, sealed up like a crypt.

Inside were Seven thrones, six large, one tiny, all covered in several centuries worth of dust.

Even for somepony as old as Celestia, sometimes the time seemed like an eternity.

The coppery taste of blood filled her mouth.

"Sister?"

With a barely choked back yelp, Celestia turned to the door, the faux-Smarty Pants dropping to the floor, wings twitching half open as if preparing to carry her into the air.

"Luna," she exhaled, shoulders relaxing

"I located the book, Twilight hid it well." The darker alicorn spoke softly, her tone reserved and measured, as always. Even though her sister had long since picked up modern speech, she had always preferred to remain formal in tone and in language. Sometimes Celestia wondered if the slightly anachronistic dialect was Luna's way of preserving her past, a small piece of her that would not succumb to the ever changing culture of pony kind.

She enjoyed listening to her sister talk.

Golden glow enveloping her horn, Celestia gently took the tome, her magic shaking off the last remnants of the concealing spell that had been applied to it and flipping it open to the spell Twilight had used, staring at it darkly.

"Are you alright, Sister?"

Celestia did not respond.

"Tia." Luna spoke, more insistently this time. The words accompanied by a soft nicker as she leaned her head her sister's "It's okay."

"We should have destroyed this."

"It might be needed again to protect Equestria."

"At what cost?" Celestia shouted, rounding on Luna, wings unfurling, air kicking up plumes of dust from the thrones surrounding them "How many times do they have to die?"

"Nopony blames you for those sacrifices."

"You did," Celestia said softly.

"That was a long time ago. You know I understand now."

"I do."

"You shouldn't."

"She does"

"Twilight Sparkle will come around as well"

"After a thousand years on the moon?" Celestia's face contorted into a mask of disgust, voice cracking.

Luna flinched slightly at the sharpness of the retort "You did to me what you had to. I was a danger to myself, and to you and-"

"And it was my fault! You had every right to despise me. She has every right to despise me!"

"For saving her life?"

Celestia deflated, shoulder's slumping, wings slowly curling back to her sides, gaze traveling about the throne room "For taking everything else."

Author's Note:

Short chapter today, just a quick jump to Tia's perspective. There will be several of of these in between main chapters covering Twilight, and hopefully helping to piece together some context, while maybe dropping a few hints to some bigger plot points. Had a bit of a hiatus due to some computer issues, but rest assured that the next chapter should be up soon :)