• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 1,225 Views, 4 Comments

Mothers Day - Blaze808



Its that time of the year, mothers day. How about the ponies who don't have a mom. How do they cope?

  • ...
1
 4
 1,225

Mother-less Day

Light snores echoed through the silent country home.

Quietly, the orange mare trotted down the hallway of her house and nudged a plain wooden door open. She peeked her head around the corner and saw the little filly snoring away in a deep sleep. Applejack bit her lip, really not wanting to wake her sister from her slumber.

"Uh, Apple bloom, y'all awake hun?" The mare asked, nudging the sleepy filly.

"Urghhh" Apple Bloom moaned and turned about in her cozy bed, pulling her warm blanket over her head. "Ahm tired."

Applejack let out an annoyed sigh and looked out at the sky, which was still dark and sprinkled with stars.

"Yeah, ah no but its mother's day today and ah thought since we don't have a-" a yellow hoof pushed itself in Aj's mouth before she could finish her sentence.

"Don't s-say it." The tired filly warned, her eyes dampening.

Applejack frowned and held in her tears that were slowly trickling out of her green eyes. She pushed them away and focused on her little sister who was obviously struggling with holding back tears.

"A-ah miss her." Apple Bloom mumbled and let the clear water fall from her eyes.

The orange mare pulled herself up onto the bed and wrapped the weeping filly in her forelegs and squeezed her tight. The two embraced the warmth of each other and wept silently together.

"Apple Bloom, ah miss her too."

The yellow filly open her auburn eyes and looked up at Applejack.

"Why us? Ah miss her so much." She whispered. "I hate m-mothers d-day."

She squeezed the filly tighter.

"Ah know ya do Sugar Cube." She managed to whisper through the lump in her throat. "Ah know you do."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Apple Bloom watched as the first golden rays of sun peeked over the mountains, light and warmth replaced the dark chilly night. A loud, croaky rooster call echoed across the farm, signaling sunrise. She sighed deeply and threw the soft, green blanket of her shoulders and trotted down to the kitchen where her sister, Applejack was cracking eggs into a large bowl.

"There ya are, you wanna help make hay cakes and fresh apple sauce Hun?" She offered in a convincingly cheerful tone of voice.

A bit of colour returned to the filly's face.

"Well, okay I guess." The yellow pony sighed and trotted to her sister. "Nothing better to do."

Applejack beamed and picked up a wooden spoon in her mouth.

"Wanna mix?"

Apple bloom smiled and started mixing hard, tightening her grip and scrunching her nose, she was off. Bits of sticky dough flew everywhere.

"Whoa nilly!" Shouted the orange mare as the mix just missed her head, second time landing on her shoulder then her flank then her face.

The filly stopped mixing and a laugh forced its way up her throat. The laugher vibrated in her stomach and she let it out, rolling on her back and clutching her sides. Soon, the dough-covered mare started laughing too.

"Alright, remember not too hard now! The pans nice n' hot!".

Applejack dropped a blob of butter into the middle of the boiling pan and watched the butter slip around the surface, leaving a trail of melted goodness behind it until it was gone. The mare carefully poured a small amount of gooey mixture into the pan. Curiously, the young filly peered into the frying pan, watching the cake bubble.

" See those bubbles at the top there? " Aj asked, pointing to the surface of the haycake. "When those start popping it means its ready to flip."

Apple Blooms curious eyes stared right down at the sizzling cake, watching small bubbles pop at the surface.

"Sis, can ah flip it?"

"Sure!" Aj smiled and grabbed a spatula from a near-by drawer.

Carefully, the young filly pushed the spatula under the frying hay cake and flipped it high into the air watching it hit the tiled floor.

"Maybe we can get Big Mac to teach us those big flips." The orange mare chuckled and scuffled Apple Booms rich red hair. "How about ah show you how to flip it, nice n' simple."

"Okay!"

****

The small family gathered around the small wooden table, licking their lips and drooling over a huge stack of apple hay cakes in front of them. Applejack laid out different toppings including, apple sauce, maple syrup, fresh whipped cream, apple pieces and jam.

"Soups on y'all!" Aj announced and grabbed two steaming cakes, instantly going for the cream and apple sauce.

The yellow filly reached for the syrup, watching the golden deliciousness drizzle down the side of the hay cakes.

"Cream?" Offered the mare as she put a dollop of cream onto her sisters stack of cakes.

"Y'all be passin' that around youngin'." The green elderly mare said and slowly grabbed the bowl of cream, piling it onto her breakfast, along with a generous helping of apple sauce.

"Eeyup!" Big Mac said and grabbed the bowl quickly, heaping the white fluffy goodness on to his cakes greedily.

"Big mac where'd y'all manners go, ya greedy stallion!" Aj cried in anger and disappointment, yanking the cream bowl away.

The family tucked in hungrily, Winona nibbling on any bit of scrap that fell onto the floor.

"Why ah do say Applejack, this is a mighty fine meal y'all made here!" Granny Smith awed, reaching for more.

"Thanks!" Applejack replied scratching the dog behind the ears and throwing a bit of cake for her to gobble up. "Apple Bloom made them, ah just helped."

Granny Smith smiled at the butter yellow filly.

"Well ah say, y'all have been takin' today real well now ya hear?" Granny stated, devouring another mouthful. She held a hoof in front of her mouth and swallowed before she spoke again. "Why, ah haven't seen not one bit of sad attitude in this here house. Y'all would usually be up in ya rooms cryin' but not this time, ya mother would of loved to see how happily y'all have been without her. You did good, learning to move on!"

She patted Applejacks arm and a nervous smile crept upon the orange mares face as she glanced at Apple Bloom, tears dampening her eyes once again.

Applejack and Big Macintosh exchanged concerned expressions.

"Y'all know what your mother would be sayin' if she were here right know, mighty shame she isn't, she was quite young wasn't she, left us much too soon." The elderly mare said placing a hoof on Applejacks shoulder.

Apple bloom pushed her chair out and ran down the hallway in tears.

"Apple Bloom!" Applejack called.

Granny Smith looked down and her hooves and scowled herself.

"I'm sorry Applejack." She mumbled.

Applejack looked at her grandmother and then shot out of her chair after her sister.

"Apple Bloom?" She called again and at that moment she heard a door slam followed by a click.

The mare frantically tapped on the door.

"Apple Bloom, you know Granny didn't mean to say those things about Ma." The orange mare sighed, leaning against the door and fiddling with the handle. "Please Sugar Cube, let me in."

Silence fell upon the house.

Applejack felt a few tears trickle out of her eyes. The mare stared at the wooden door, which stared lifelessly back at her.

"Oh Ma, why'd you have to leave us?" Aj whispered through the lump in her throat, slipping her face into her hooves, crying miserably at the door.


The filly miserably sat by her window, looking outside with a green, furry blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She estimated it had been at least an hour since her outburst. Apple bloom watched the cloudless, blue sky and sulked for a few minutes before sinking under the blanket.

The yellow filly shuffled free of the warm embrace of the blanket and slowly walked to her door, too sad to be bothered by the uncomforting silence with only the sound of her hooves walking along the floor. She fiddled with the handle and it opened with ease.

"A-applejack?" Ab asked in shock at her sister lying still at the door.

Much to still.

Apple bloom freaked out for a few seconds before shaking her sister into consciousness.

"Sis?" The earth-pony mumbled, before turning over to become face-to-face with the fillies colourless and shocked one.

Applejack's face was stained with tears and her hair was messier than usual.

"Oh, Ahm sorry, Ah fell asleep." Applejack apoligised.

"Oh, no its fine." The filly mumbled.

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds before Aj spoke up.

"Listen Sugarcube, you know Granny never meant to say that. She just-"

"I know."

Applejack silenced herself.

"Its just-"

Apple Bloom unexpectedly launched herself into her sister's arms and fresh tears began to fall.

Applejack rebalanced herself from her sisters actions and felt her emerald eyes fill with tears as well.

"Why does all this happen to us? We did nothin' to deserve this and it just ain't fair! We deserve a mom just as much as everypony else does!"

Applejack squeezed her tight and started to rock on her haunches just like her mother used to do.

"It's alright now, ahm here. How about I get you a tissue?"

Apple Bloom sniffed.

"No." She said and hugged tighter, making sure her sister didn't leave her.

"Well then, how about I fetch us a blanket, you look cold sugarcube."

Apple Bloom nodded and released herself from her sisters forelegs. She walked up to the green blanket and slipped under it then motioned for her sister to follow.

Applejack instantly understood and snuggled next to her sister.

The two sisters watched the world outside, letting silence over take them. Applejack glanced at the weeping filly, expressing words through her eyes. Apple Bloom's sad eyes slowly shut and her body rested in her sisters hooves.
After what seemed like hours Applejack gently let words creep out of her mouth.

"Sis, you may not have your Mother, none of us do ya here, but I want you to know your family will always be here for you."

Applejack squeezed her sister.

"I will always be here for you."

Apple Bloom slowly shuffled and looked up with massive eyes.

"Ah know sis."

Apple Bloom gave a slight smile and sighed. She looked up at her sister who was shooting her a small but gentle grin.

The mare thought about asking her sister to go down with the rest of the family to visit the graveyard but as if to anwser, the filly shuffled her weight and slightly yawned sleepily.

"I love you....sister." The yellow pony sighed.

Applejack wiped the happy tears from her eyes and pulled her sister closer to her.

"Me too...I love you. No matter what, I will always be here." Applejack said, slowly sinking into a peaceful sleep herself, snuggled up close to the sleepy filly.
Where she'd always be.

Author's Note:

Thank you soooo much for reading this!! I wrote this a long time ago and I finally decided it was okay enough to let my fellow bronies and pegasisters to read it! I know its not mothers day but I haven't uploaded or published a story in FOREVER!!! I hope you enjoyed it.

Just in case you actually did like this story, please leave a like and comment. :)

Have a great day!

Comments ( 4 )

Apostrophes are your friend.

-Lumino

It's cute. :3

This was a beautiful story

5045622
Thank you!!! :)

Login or register to comment