• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,427 Views, 41 Comments

A Pony Chooses... - FancierPants



Fed up with the quarrel bewtwen the royal sisters, Fancypants takes matters into his own hooves...

  • ...
1
 41
 1,427

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Hapton Hooves Hotel

By the time Promontory and Warspite actually arrived at the Hapton Hooves Hotel that day it was a little after four o'clock in the afternoon. They had spent most of their day taking in the sights and visiting shops all across Manehattan. Their last stop was a high class haberdashery, Zoot Suiters, located in the city's affluent Upper East Side, where Promontory got fitted for a dinner jacket and three suits. And thanks to Warspite shifting a few extra bits to the tailor, the clothes were altered in store and the pair was on their way to the hotel less than an hour later. Promontory's hotel room was a brand new, modern styled suite located on the fourteenth floor. The most impressive feature of the suite was the stunning view of Midtown Park and the skyscrapers and high end apartment buildings surrounding it.

For the next two hours after arriving, Promontory and Warspite talked over cider again, Warspite recalling several of his heroic exploits from his days in the Royal Guards, Promontory remembering a handful of humorous anecdotes he had heard from the many nights he had spent drinking in the Salt Block with friends. Conveniently, just as the bottle ran dry, Warspite checked his watch and in exaggerated surprise exclaimed "Wow its six o'clock already!"

Promontory shook his head and laughed "Yeah, time sure does fly when you're having fun." and then proceeded to knock back the mouthful of cider that was left in his glass, setting it now empty, down with a clink on top of the glass coffee table between them. "I have a few phone calls to make and have to get ready for the evening myself." he said while gathering his hat and suit jacket

"I'll see you out Colonel." Promontory lead Warspite to the door and opened it for him.

"The party starts in an hour,” Warspite said, turning around to face Promontory just outside the door. “downstairs in the ballroom, so be quick about getting ready son. I'll meet you down there yeah?"

"Right, listen Colonel, I wanna thank you and your boss for your kindness and hospitality, you have my word I’ll pay you back every bit I owe you."

"Think nothing of it," Warspite replied while carefully fixing his fedora on top of his head "compliments of Fancypants Industries! See you at seven okay?"

Promontory nodded "See you at seven."

Promontory quickly showered, fixed his mane, and got dressed. He was surprised, his nerves weren't as bad as they had been for most of the day, his nervousness had all but dissipated. He figured that half a bottle of cider had given him a little bit of "liquid courage". Before heading out the door for the evening Promontory gave himself one last look over in the mirror. He wore a black double breasted dinner jacket with a white dress shirt, red bow tie, and a red silk handkerchief neatly folded into a triangle in the breast pocket. He wasn't used to wearing so much clothes and feeling so constricted, but he had to admit, he looked good.

...

The big band orchestra was playing 'Stompin' at the Savoy' as Promontory arrived in the ballroom. The dance floor was crowded with well dressed, mostly young couples dancing the night away. The orchestra was on a large stage opposite the entrance to the ballroom, the dance floor in front of it, and tables for guests to sit at on either side of the dance floor. The ballroom itself was a massive room colorfully decorated with balloons and streamers for the evening's festivities. Promontory was slightly taken aback by the number of ponies that were already there, probably more than two hundred crowded into the room already and even more coming in the doors behind him. He mingled among the crowd keeping an eye open for Warspite, picking up on bits of conversations as he moved through the party. Most of the stallions were busy having heated discussions about their opinions on politics and the stock market, and their favorite sports teams. While their mares tended to be more concerned with what so and so was wearing, who was planning to spend their vacations where over the summer, and what were the best stores to shop at in town for new furs.

Occasionally somepony would nod in greeting or say hello to which Promontory would return the gesture and continue on his way. Or a waiter would come along with a highly polished tray and offer him an Hors d'oeuvre to which he would politely decline; he didn't want to jinx his stomach. "Promontory!" He heard a voice call out from behind him somewhere; he turned to see Warspite maneuvering his way through the crowd toward him. Warspite patted him on the shoulder when he finally reached him. "Say," he said looking him over. "you clean up alright sport! I hardly recognized you from the other side of the room."

Promontory, feeling slightly abashed chuckled nervously. "Yeah, I guess I do."

"I have some good news for you too." Warspite went on.

"And what would that be sir?"

"Mr. Fancypants said he would like to speak with you in the next few minutes."

Promontory suddenly felt his liquid courage go from him and a knot began to quickly tighten in his stomach again. He cleared his throat. "Good," he said trying his best to put up a confident front. "I'm looking forward to meeting him finally." He believed he had adequately masked his nervousness.

"But what am I supposed to do in the meantime?"

Warspite gave him a perplexed look. "Are you kidding me? You are surrounded by music, cider, and some of the most beautiful mares in all of Equestria! Socialize! Have fun!"

Warspite glanced over Promontory's shoulder and called out to somepony, "Ah, Ms. Starshine!" waving somepony over. He turned to see who it was and was awestruck by what greeted his eyes. She was an attractive unicorn mare, probably about twenty three or twenty four years old, around his age. She had a mint green coat with deep purple eyes, and a blonde mane. She also wore an expensive looking purple evening gown that brought out her eyes.

"Ms. Starshine you look marvelous as always," Warspite said taking her hoof and kissing it the way Promontory had only thought happened in those cheesy romantic moving pictures he had seen. "tell me how are your parents?" Warspite went on.

"It's good to see again too Colonel, they're doing just fine thank you, they're attending another function in Los Pegasus right now as a matter of fact."

"Send them my love won't you?"

"Of course I will Colonel."

"Oh, where are my manners? Ms. Starshine this is an associate of mine, Mr. Promontory."

She smiled graciously. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Promontory.”

When she smiled Promontory realized how dry his throat had become, he cleared his throat and managed. "ma’Am." Inclining his head politely.

"Mr. Promontory here," Warspite went on. "works for the South-Western Railroad Company and is new to Manehattan would you mind if he tagged along with you and your party for awhile? That is if your escort doesn't mind."

Starshine shook her head and waved the Colonel off. "My escort actually took ill at the last moment, I've been lonesome," she looked at Promontory with her purple eyes; it sent a chill down his spine. "I could use the company."

"Splendid!" Warspite exclaimed. "Well, you two foals wouldn't want an old warhorse like me hanging around, go on and enjoy the party!"

Promontory and Starshine began to walk off when Warspite grabbed Promontory by the shoulder prompting him to turn around, just as Starshine was out of earshot the Colonel whispered "Have fun sport." giving him a wolfish grin and clapping him hard on the shoulder.


“How many houses?” Promontory asked his new female companion as they both sat at a table, empty save for the two of them, on the edge of the dance floor, uncertain if he had heard her correctly. Starshine giggled. “Four homes. We, I and my parents, live primarily here in Manehattan; we have an apartment in the Upper West Side. But we also own two summer homes, one in The Hooftons and another on Solara’s Vineyard. We also have a home in Heavenly Hills in Los Pegasus for when we travel west.”

He whistled in astonishment and leaned back in his chair. "You and your family must be pretty well off."

Starshine laughed, leaning forward in her own seat. "Oh I would say so. My great grandfather earned the family fortune in diamond mining, after the mine dried up he invested in shipping and manufacturing which gave my family control of the vast wealth it holds today."

"It must be nice ma'am to have all that money, the security of it I mean."

"Oh yeah," She said sounding almost sarcastic. "It's great." Starshine looked disinterested by his statement.

"But what about you?" She asked. "What do you do for the railroad?"

"Well ma'am-" Promontory started to say before she cut him off suddenly.

"Oh stop with the ma'am will you please," She said hitting him playfully on the shoulder. "after all I'm probably younger than you are. Call me Starshine."

Promontory cleared his throat nervously, at that moment he wanted desperately to undo his bow tie, it felt like it was chocking him. "Well, Miss Starshine, I'm an engineer, I drive the trains."

She seemed genuinely interested as he went to on to explain the intricacies of his day to day work. "You sound like you enjoy your work."

"Oh I do," He replied. "very much so. I've always loved trains, ever since I was a little colt. I remember, oh I was probably about seven or eight years old at the time I reckon, They built the San Palomino railroad heading south past my family's ranch. That train came by everyday at 1:30pm sharp, like clockwork. I remember some days the big engine would be pulling passenger cars, other days it would be pulling cattle cars, or lumber in stacks from further up north. I even remember one time, during the Buffalo Wars, it was carrying a company of royal guards to fight buffalo down south. But I suppose I'm boring you with my little trip down memory lane?"

Starshine looked almost hurt when he said that, he could see it in her big purple eyes. "No," She said "Not at all. Your very lucky to enjoy what you do, so few ponies can say that."

"I'm the lucky one?" Promontory asked laughing and astonished. "You’re the lucky one if you ask me, you have money, houses, all these fancy things, and you'll never have to lift a hoof. Unlike me, you'll never have to worry about having a roof over your head, food in your stomach, or money in your pockets."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "My whole life," She said. "my parents used their money to control me, to manipulate me into doing what they wanted me to do Mr. Promontory. To turn me into what they wanted me to be, not what I wanted to be. Everything was always handed up to me on a silver platter, I never ever had to lift a hoof, oh, I know that must sound swell to you but believe me it gets tiresome. Just remember: having too much of something can be just as bad as having too little."

Promontory smirked. "Yeah, I guess you might have something their ma'am- I mean Starshine!"

She smiled and went to say something, but as she did so a slow song started. Starshine squealed in delight. "Oh a slow dance! C'mon I haven't danced all night."

Before he could reply she grabbed him dragging him toward the dance floor. "Hey Promontory!" Somepony called out.

Colonel Warspite had finally returned to collect him. "Sorry to interrupt but Mr. Fancypants is ready to speak with you. Ready to go sport?"

Promontory looked back at Starshine. "I'm s-" She cut him off again.

"Don't worry, you just owe me a dance is all, go ahead." She smiled and Promontory could only manage a solitary nod before turning and walking quickly out of the ballroom with Warspite.

...

"He has the penthouse suite on permanent reservation," Warspite said to Promontory who stood by him quietly on the private elevator to the penthouse. "It’s a gorgeous suite, I believe he had it renovated recently."

Promontory was only half listening; his mind was still with the beautiful mare downstairs in the ballroom. "You alright sport?" Warspite asked abruptly breaking his train of thought.

"Huh?" He said not hearing him at first.

"Are you feeling alright?" He said again a little slower and clearer.

"Just fine sir," Promontory replied wiping some lint off of his left sleeve, trying to seem nonchalant.


Warspite went to say something but was cut off as they both felt the elevator come to a stop and the else aimless steal doors slid open. The pair stepped into a small corridor with a skylight. On one side there appeared to be a small security desk that was vacant. On the opposite wall there was a black leather couch with a potted plant sitting on a mahogany colored end table. "We can just head right in," Warspite said digging a key out of his pocket. "I have my own key.

They stepped into the suite, into what appeared to be a living room; he noticed out of the corner of his eye what appeared to be a billiards table with a sheet draped over it. Promontory followed behind Warspite up the hallway from the living area at the end of hallway were two highly polished mahogany doors with golden knobs. Inscribed on the door read: Fancypants CEO, Chairman, and Presdient of Fancypants Industries.

The moment of truth, Promontory thought to himself, once again becoming aware of his churning stomach. Warspite knocked lightly on the door three times and a commanding voice beckoned them to enter. They both stepped into the room, Warspite stepping slightly off to Promontory's left. "Mr. Promontory to see you boss." Warspite said.

Fancypants was leaning against the front of his desk forelegs folded across his chest, grinning confidently. He nodded to Warspite. "Thank you Colonel, that will be all for now."

Warspite nodded back and gave Promontory a reassuring smile as he turned, walked out of the room, and shut the door behind him, leaving them alone. Fancypants trotted over still grinning his confident smile and stuck out his hoof. "I'm Fancypants, Mr. Promontory, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Promontory took his hoof with his own. "It's an honor to meet you finally sir."

Fancypants laughed. "Don't overdo it. Can I get you anything to drink?"

Promontory replied. "Ah, no thank you Mr. Fancypants I think I've had my fill for the evening.

"Is that a fact sport?" Fancypants asked directing him to take a seat opposite his desk. "Well I hope that means you've been enjoying yourself."

The conversation went on like that for several minutes, idle chit chat, how was the trip? Enjoying Manhattan? Comfortable in the hotel? Etcetera and etcetera. It got to the point where Promontory could no wait no longer. "Pardon the interruption Mr. Fancypants, but as you might understand I'm a mite anxious to know what it is y'all called me up here for."

Fancypants' demeanor seemed to grow darker, quieter suddenly. He looked down and away him. "Mr. Promontory," he began and paused almost unsure of what he was going to say. "You are a hard worker and a good stallion," he looked back up at Promontory. "I am offering you a once in a life time chance to be involved in the greatest venture in my company's history, perhaps the greatest in the history of ponykind."

Promontory gulped. "Well what is this venture and what would you have me do?"

Fancypants grinned. "Follow me."

Promontory followed his potential employer back out into the living room and over to what he had earlier assumed was a billiard table. Fancypants dragged the sheet off the top and Promontory was greeted by what appeared to be a miniature model of a city, it looked almost like Manehattan, but there were certain differences that made him realize otherwise. "Well sir this is a neat little model you have here but what city is this?"

"My city." Fancypants replied while looking over the model with a prideful expression on his face.

"Your building a city?" Promontory whistled in amazement, leaning in on the model city admiring the detail. "Where'd you have in mind?"

Fancypants leaned in on the table and without even looking at Promontory very nonchalantly replied. "The bottom of the ocean."

Promontory looked up suddenly, trying to read Fancypants' face who appeared to be fixated on the model of one of the large sky rappers.

"Oh come on now," Promontory said half laughing. "You're joshin' me."

"Have you heard about what's going on in Canterlot Mr. Promontory?" Fancypants said still looking over his model city.

"Yeah, somethin' about the princesses are in some kinda quarrel again right?"

"It's far more serious than just a mere quarrel between siblings," Fancypants said sharply. "Ponies are taking up sides lad, there have been riots all over the country, business markets are faltering, it's only a matter of time until it escalates to a war! Those two power hungry fools will drag us all into the abyss with them!"

"My city," he said while pointing out over the model. "my city is the only chance ponykind has to survive, to get away from the tyrants and the parasites that are about to bring about Equestria's fall!"

Fancypants could see how Promontory was looking at him, like he had three heads. He cleared his throat, slicked back his mane, and continued on calmly. "Now I know what you're thinking," He went on. "You think I'm another eccentric billionaire with a couple of screws loose, I don't blame you for thinking like that, but just hear me out son: imagine a place of only determined, confident, hard workers and go getters like ourselves, free from the parasites and corruption of the monarchy, a city of only the best, brightest, and most successful ponies... A place of true rapture. Now, like I said previously, I am giving you a once in a life time chance here old boy, you can throw in with me or stay in that dead end job of yours shoveling coal until the next time Discord breaks free from his stone prison. So waddaya say sport?"

Promontory's head was spinning from everything he had just heard. Crazy as everything Fancypants had just said sounded, a lot of it made sense. "What would you have me do Mr. Fancypants, specifically?"

"I need someone to design the city's main mode of transportation, I figured with your extensive experience with the railroad I would put you in charge of the project."

In charge. Those two words reverberated in Promontory's head. He could finally be the big stallion, finally a payoff for all of his years of struggle and hard work. Promontory looked back up at Fancypants. He nodded once. "It's a deal Mr. Fancypants."

Fancypants beamed. "When you reach a deal with somepony," he went on. "you're supposed to shake on it lad." extending a hoof.

Promontory extended his own hoof and participated in a solitary shake sealing the deal. "Well," Fancypants said in high spirits. "Everything is coming together quite nicely now, all I need now is a name for the city."

Promontory shrugged. "How about Rapture? That word you used from earlier? Seems like it would be a good fit to me."

"Rapture..." Fancypants said us testing to see he liked the way it sounded. "Yes, Rapture thats it! Our partnership seems to be bearing fruit earlier than I expected!"

Fancypants gazed back over his shoulder for a brief moment at the miniature model of the city now known as Rapture. Before turning back to Promontory and in obvious high spirits said. "Well, the evening is still young! Go back downstairs and rejoin the party, I'll be back down there myself in a few minutes."

Promontory nodded. "Right, thank you sir." and turned to walk toward the elevator. Stopping suddenly wanting to ask the question that had been burning inside of him since the first time he met with Colonel Warspite. "Mr. Fancypants?"

"Yes son?" Fancypants asked turning back around himself.

"There is something I gotta know. I ain't no artist, or scientist, or successful businesspony, there must be millions of ponies in the city alone more qualified than me for this job, why me? Why on earth me?"

Fancypants sighed. "Because," He said in a sincere tone. "When I was young somepony gave me a chance to prove myself, that's why I'm where I am today. I figured it was time for me to do the same for somepony else."

Promontory wasn't sure exactly what to say and nodded thoughtfully. Neither said another word as Promontory left the penthouse.

Alone again Fancypants leaned over his model city again, smiling. "Rapture..."

Comments ( 10 )

AAAAAAAAND FINALLY CHAPTER FIVE! Sorry abou the long wait guys, its been kind of hectic these past few months. I've written probably three different versions of this chapter and about four rough drafts for this one that I settled on. I feel like its kind of supbar :raritycry: but I'll let you bros decide on that one. Please be gentle. :fluttercry: This chapter actually marks the end of part 1 of my story, I'm actually half way through with the rough draft of my next chapter, its shapping up to be a good one. As always feel free to ask questions and leave comments, its appreciated, and I promise there is much more coming soon! :eeyup:

:yay: YAY! We're Finally going to Rapture! now to see what you do for the big daddies! Keep writing, I'll go slip into another coma until this is updated again! :twilightsmile:

Sent the rough draft of my chapter off to my proof reader. Expect it before Christmas.

Sorry about not putting the next chapter up guys, I'm wicked busy this year. The next chapter itself is done, I'm just waiting to get it back from my proofreader and he's about as busy as I am. I'll try and keep you guys posted.

I'm actually making progress on the chapter after next's rough draft. Maybe I'll end posting two chapters.

Sorry, end up posting two chapters.

Okay, quick update chapter six has been sent to my proofreader, expect it in a week and I'm almost done writing the rough draft for chapter seven. Also I'm going to post links to images of my original characters that I made using a pony generator.

Ok I have to say something about your cover pic. WHY THE DOCTOR what did he do wrong? :flutterrage: :raritycry:

Hi everyone! Remember me? Yeeeeeeah, been away for a bit. Things got kind of crazy about a year and a half ago in my life and I have not really had too much time on my hands since then. But I am back and I plan on picking this up again soon and I have some more ideas in the works as well, so for those of you who have been waiting, thanks for sticking with me. I am so sorry I was gone for so long and I promise more will come soon.

Oh wow, I just noticed that was the doctor now lol. Looks like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Login or register to comment