• Published 28th Mar 2014
  • 4,978 Views, 295 Comments

Decade - Hap



When Flash and Twilight get engaged, Celestia is suspicious of his motives. But Flash is more surprised than she is to find that something is terribly wrong.

  • ...
62
 295
 4,978

Chapter IV: Enough

Chapter IV: Enough

“This is a joke, right?” Flash wasn’t smiling as he looked back and forth between the two alicorns who were also not smiling.

Princess Celestia was known for being a bit puckish, but her pranks were usually harmless. No, they were always harmless. Flash couldn’t imagine that this was the type of joke that she would play on him, yet he was desperately hoping that she had somehow turned evil. Yes, that would be a net benefit, for the world to fall into a perpetual tyranny of sunlight, if what the sun goddess had just told him was a horrible, cruel joke.

But nopony was laughing. Twilight Sparkle’s silence filled the claustrophobically large room. Flash wasn’t even sure that she was breathing. She hadn’t lifted her head since Princess Celestia had looked inside Flash’s mind. He wished he could see her eyes, he wished that he could leave his seat and comfort her, talk to her, tell her everything was going to be okay.

The cheerfully stoic Princess Celestia was waiting out Flash’s panic attack with a concerned smile that conveyed amusement and a bit of disappointment, but more pity than anything else. The tough guard pegasus was doing his best to avoid whimpering as he shut his eyes and counted the beats of his heart. After he had subdued his pulse enough to vocalize the questions that had been rattling around in his head, they all came out at once.

“Sh-She… How… We-we never—” Princess Celestia held up a hoof to stop the stream of stuttered half-questions.

She actually chuckled. “Countless ponies throughout history have asked those questions. The answer to the ‘how’ is the same as it always was. However,” the elder princess turned her head to look disapprovingly at the younger princess, “princesses are necessarily held to a higher standard than the countless ponies.”

Twilight gave a single, shuddering sob, and Flash winced along with her. He felt pain at the furrowed brow, narrowed eyes, and tight frown that Twilight was ignoring. Even those midnight bangs could not shield her from the shining disapproval of the sun. She undoubtedly felt that gaze penetrating all her defenses and searing into her soul.

A late night campfire and some painfully introspective honesty on Flash’s part had at one point encouraged Twilight to be honest about the single most horrifying moment in her life. She and Flash had both faced deadly monsters, and Twilight had saved all of Equestria from apocalyptic villains on several occasions, but none of that had traumatized her.

King Sombra’s door protection spell was a cruel one, and up till that camping trip Twilight had only ever shared its effects with her assistant Spike and — of course — Princess Celestia. ‘Your worst fears, come true.’ Twilight didn’t say what Spike’s fear was, but her own terror was coming true again right now; only it wasn’t a magical deception that could be broken by a friend shouting one’s name, or a nightmare from which one could be rescued by the benevolent princess of the night.

Princess Celestia spoke again to the wordless couple. “Now, I know that modern sensibilities have changed what is acceptable for normal ponies.” She paused briefly to glance at Flash and back again. “Twilight Sparkle, you and I are not normal ponies.” Twilight’s wings twitched, the tips curling underneath as if trying to hide themselves from the world, and more importantly from her. If Princess Celestia noticed the movement, she gave no indication. “You seem to be two months along. Is that about right, Twilight?”

If Twilight responded to that, it was drowned out by Flash’s own outburst. “Two months? That’s after we got engaged. Th-that means…” Flash’s voice left him when the rest of his breath did.

Princess Celestia nodded, in the way that ponies nod when they agree that you think you have a valid point but they’re about to tell you why you’re wrong. “The fact that you were engaged when it happened might ameliorate the issue somewhat, if you were engaged to a normal pony. Even a more traditional family might overlook this sort of indiscretion for an engaged couple, but for a princess who must bear the responsibility of leadership? That requires a great deal of self-discipline.”

Turning again to address her protégée, the stately alicorn continued in a painfully patronizing tone. “Twilight, even in your short tenure as princess, there has been more than one time that both my sister and I were incapacitated. In an extended emergency, you might need to control both the sun and the moon for some time. A princess with that much power cannot allow herself to fall victim to her passion.”

Flash Sentry had only been half-listening. His ears were ringing and the room was spinning around his head almost as fast as the questions were spinning around inside his head. He had been a perfect gentlecolt. Princess Celestia was right; there was only one ‘how’ that a mare could get pregnant, and they hadn’t done that. At least he hadn’t. Apparently she had. After she told him yes. What other secrets was she keeping? Twilight Sparkle had agreed to spend the rest of her life with him, to start a family with him. And after she agreed to this, she had been with another stallion.

But what Princess Celestia said next was enough to lift that train of thought right off of the rails. “I’m sorry Twilight Sparkle, but for this type of indiscretion, you will abdicate. Furthermore, you will be reverted to your original unicorn body.” The calm evenness of her voice only reinforced the authority it carried.

Flash could no longer prevent himself from whimpering. He had been injured in training, and once in battle, but Velvet was right when she had said that what hurts the pony you love hurts you even more. Perhaps he and Twilight could work out whatever mistakes were made, he was hopeful about that, but what Princess Celestia was doing to Twilight right now, that was going to devastate her.

Before Flash could stew too much, Princess Celestia turned to face him. Flash recoiled from the benevolent ruler as if her gently billowing pastel mane had become a mass of venomous serpents. She looked genuinely apologetic, and if her speech to Twilight Sparkle had been any indication of what was in store for him, then he was truly terrified of any pronouncement for which she could be apologetic.

“Flash Sentry, had your fiancée had been any other pony, this would be unnecessary. For defiling a princess, you will be discharged from the guard, with none of the honors or benefits to which you would be otherwise entitled.” She paused for a moment, putting on her disapproving face again. “You were in Princess Cadance’s personal guard, and you knew what was expected of you in your relationship with Princess Twilight.”

And with that, Flash’s train of thought was back on course, and sparking down the track fast enough it didn’t matter that it was moving sideways. Princess Celestia narrowed one eye and pinched her eyebrows together as she watched the pegasus open and close his mouth like a fish, confusion as evident on his face as shame was on Twilight’s sagging head.

There wasn’t much that dawned on the princess who raised the sun, but if there had been anypony in the room who wasn’t in the midst of a life crisis, it would have been easy to pinpoint the moment when it happened. Her eyes widened as she pulled her head backward, silently mouthing the word ‘oh.’

Taking a moment to straighten her posture and blinking several times with raised eyebrows, Princess Celestia turned her eyes down to her student, seeing her in a new light. She cleared her throat and suppressed a sigh. “There are many…” She cleared her throat again, speaking with an unsteady rhythm and inconsistent pitch that made her statement almost sound like a question. “Some ponies choose to… overlook an indiscretion for the benefit of their new family.”

Blood rushed in Flash’s ears, drowning out all other noise until Twilight let loose a single, quiet sob whose echoes made Flash realize how silent the room had truly been. He dragged his gaze over to his left and watched as Twilight began trembling.

Seeing the way his shoulders slumped to match Twilight’s, Princess Celestia softened her posture. “Flash, nopony would blame you if you chose not to claim another stallion’s foal as your own. You would be reinstated in your old position in Princess Cadance’s personal guard, unless working so closely with Twilight’s brother would make you uncomfortable. I believe that you have shown enough personal integrity that I could promote you to an equivalent position in my own guard.

“Unfortunately, public knowledge of Twilight’s more egregious indiscretion means that her punishment must be somewhat more severe. Such infidelity on the part of a princess would require her to spend a year in the dungeon, in addition to her abdication and descension. The foal would of course become a ward of the state, as the father is obviously untrustworthy.”

Before the princess had finished her explanation, Flash was already flaring his nostrils and shaking his head. “No. I won’t let Twilight be locked up. I… I still love her. I can’t let you do that.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at that comment, and her wings relaxed enough to lay smoothly against her side. She still did not raise her head, though Flash imagined that her eyes shifted in his direction.

Flash remembered buying a sword immediately after he signed up for the guard. He had thought it would be a good idea to become familiar with the feel of a blade under his wing before he embarrassed himself in front of the other recruits. Instead, he had stabbed himself in the back of his foreleg. It was nothing life-threatening, but he had needed stitches. The most painful part of the experience was not the steel edge separating his muscle tissue, nor the blade twisting in his flesh as the grip fell to the ground. The worst pain was knowing that it was his own damn fault that he had hurt himself.

And now he was turning down a promotion, and getting himself fired, just to protect the mare who had betrayed him? He just stabbed himself in the leg all over again. Why? Why would he do that?

Because he loved her.

He remembered all the things that Twilight Velvet and Night Light had said about love. He could see himself and Rainbow Dash, watching the sunset together while reclining on a flaming orange cloud, discussing what it means to be loyal. He recalled the early morning sun peeking through a window as a weary crew of ponies assisted a haggard seamstress who mistakenly overcommitted. Flash also remembered a pony who gave up on love, crawling into her own little glass prison.

No, he wasn’t going to give up on love.

“Princess Luna didn’t lose her wings.”

Even if he had to anger the sun goddess to fight for his princess.

Head-on, just like any other problem in his life. He lifted himself to a standing position, kicked away the comfort of the soft warm cushion from underneath himself, and rooted all four hooves on the floor. As Flash lowered his head and narrowed his eyes, Princess Celestia screwed her mouth into a thoughtful frown. After a few moments of staring down the tiny pegasus, she inhaled sharply through her flaring nostrils, and spoke very slowly.

“My sister had millennia of responsible rule to her credit before her ‘indiscretion.’ Twilight Sparkle fell to her own passions a few paltry years after her coronation. My sister was banished to the moon for a thousand years. Would you prefer for Twilight to watch from a distance while all of her friends die of old age?”

Flash deflated, his anger turned inward as he remembered that Princess Celestia was perhaps the one pony who loved Twilight Sparkle as much as he did. He sank lower and lower to the floor as she lectured, until his belly was pressed against the cold marble floor. Although his ears were flat against the back of his neck, he had no trouble hearing the quiet anger in the alicorn’s voice.

“Or maybe I should turn her to stone? Banish her to the arctic ice?” Princess Celestia returned to a sitting position and took a deep breath, releasing it slowly. She closed her eyes, and when she reopened them, she was again wearing the regal smile that Flash was beginning to despise. “Flash Sentry, I care a great deal for Twilight. She is my most… She is my beloved student. I cannot allow her to remain a princess, but I can give her back the life she enjoyed as a librarian, surrounded by her friends.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at the last part, and she raised her head, sniffling. Although still trembling, she managed to look up at her mentor, who benevolently smiled down at her. Flash raised himself to a sitting position on the floor and leaned forward in an attempt to make eye contact with Twilight, but the best he could achieve was being able to see the tear-stained corner of one eye.

Princess Celestia addressed the pony who had been silent for so long. “Twilight Sparkle, you have learned a great deal since you moved to Ponyville. I want to give you a second chance, because I know for absolute certain that you will continue to learn and grow. Some day, you may grow to be the pony that I had thought you were.”

Upon hearing those last five words, Twilight broke down again, this time collapsing onto her seat cushion and curling into a ball, covering her face with her wings. Her unrestrained sobs were directed into the red velvet cushion, but they still echoed loudly around the room, wounding Flash with each trip between the walls.

Flash saw Princess Celestia looking briefly down at her gold-shod hooves, noticing that she did not completely avoid being injured by the sharp cries. She looked back up with moist eyes that betrayed her unwavering voice. “Flash Sentry, your future and hers are both determined by your answer to this question. Is Twilight carrying your foal?”

This was the part that was going to hurt. He had already been wounded by her, and it would be a long time before he would even know the extent of the damage, but now he had to choose how to wound her. Flash shuffled his hooves, trying to think of any decision that was more than refusing to make a decision.

Princess Celestia stomped one hoof, the brass shoe ringing clearly and pulling Flash’s attention up toward her ancient, hardened eyes. She ignored Twilight’s continued whimpering and spoke words like a brick wall. “Twilight Sparkle has disrespected herself, the nation of Equestria, and you. As harsh as it may sound, her choices led to the situation she is in now, and there are consequences to her choices.” Letting her pristine white shoulders droop slightly, she relaxed her brow and burned through Flash’s soul with gentle eyes. “You are in the unique position to lighten her punishment, should you still love her.”

Flash sat up straight, steeling himself for the pronouncement he was about to deliver. Blinking away the tears as fast as they were produced, he summoned his stiffest military bearing. “I demand to accept Twilight’s punishment in her place.” Keeping his eyes forward, he put every ounce of his will into not looking toward Twilight.

The princess gave that damned smile again, softly replying, “I’m afraid that is not how this works.”

He had expected that. “You said that her choices have consequences. What if she did not have a choice in the matter? Her pregnancy was the result of my choice, without her consent. She would not be punished, correct?”

Princess Celestia froze. Her face decayed into a paler shade of white as she began to understand what Flash Sentry had proposed. Her wings twitched as her heart wavered between anger, pity, and awe. “We all know that is not what happened. Even if you wish to confess to such a heinous crime, that does not change the fact that Twilight lacks the self control to rule Equestria.”

“You said you wanted to give her a second chance. Give her a chance to grow and learn, without taking away her wings or shaming her in front of the world. Take my wings instead, and throw me in the dungeon.”

The elder princess was genuinely confused, taking several moments to collect her thoughts as she squinted at the stallion who was standing rigidly at attention, eyes locked forward as if he had just refused a blindfold before the firing squad. Princess Celestia squeezed her eyes closed and reached up to massage her forehead with one hoof, inhaling for a long-winded speech. “Why…” She opened her eyes and dumped the rest of her speech along with the contents of her lungs, then continued. “Flash Sentry, you could have a promising career and a chance to find another special somepony, or you could have a quiet life with the mare you love.”

“I could let you send her to a dungeon cell for a year, only for her to return to her friends and family a shameful and broken shadow of the magnificent creature I asked to marry me. Or, I could claim another stallion’s foal as my own, and pretend that we’re a happy family. She would be stuck with me, not because she loves me, but because I kept her out of the dungeon. I don’t think Twilight can ever have happiness with either of those two options. So I know that I can’t.”

Flash was doing all he could to keep his voice level, though he couldn’t stop his eyes from watering. “But I can give her a chance to be happy; a chance to keep her wings, be with somepony she loves, and forget about me.”

Standing up and taking two steps to stand before Flash, Princess Celestia was the first pony to move since the conversation had started. She leaned down to look him face-to-face, then smiled, gently and lopsided, putting both her eyes and her whole heart into it. Flash wondered if she had ever been a mother, and if this was how a mother was supposed to make a pony feel.

She placed one wing on his shoulder. “The way a pony treats those who have hurt him speaks a great deal about his character.” Bringing up her other wing to bracket his shoulders, she pleaded with him, “But Flash, this is not the ancient sea; you do not have to go down with the ship. I know that you are very hurt right now, but this is a decision that needs to be made with logic, not emotion.”

Flash looked at his hooves and blushed. “I, uh, I actually made a decision matrix in my head.” Twilight snorted a quick laugh, then buried her face in the pillow again. Flash didn’t turn his head, but his ears twitched and he almost grinned. “All three options end up with me being unhappy. Options one and two make Twilight unhappy. Only option three gives Twilight a chance to be happy.”

“Why does her happiness matter so much to you?”

“I. Love. Her.”

“She has violated your trust. She must be punished.”

“What?” Flash couldn’t believe what he was hearing. She was definitely not acting like herself. He could only stammer a reply. “You don’t… You can’t… A relationship isn’t about punishing, it’s about, well, love. And stuff.” Calming himself for a few seconds, he thought back to Night Light and Twilight Velvet. “It’s about putting her happiness above my own.”

Princess Celestia grew a motherly smile, sighed, and leaned back to sit up straight again. “That is true, my little pony, but what you propose is not a relationship.” The motherly quality of the look remained, but it was no longer a smile. “Your confession would be more akin to suicide.”

Flash looked down at the floor, pulled his shoulders back, and resumed his forward gaze as the princess continued her lecture. “Such a horrifically violent crime is nearly unheard of in Equestria. And there has never been one recorded against a princess. You wanted to accept Twilight’s punishment in her place, but the punishment for this crime would be far more severe than for her crime.”

Squeezing his eyes shut and grinding his teeth, Flash listened to Princess Celestia’s sentence. “In addition to losing your wings, you would become a permanent resident of the dungeon.”

He thought of all the things he would lose: his friends, his family, his career, his love. Essentially all of his friends were her friends or family, and at this point were already lost to him. His family had been lost before he met Twilight. And his career was either working for her brother or working for her mentor. He had nothing in this life except for Twilight, and he’d lost her before he ever had her.

There wasn’t much he would actually be giving up. “I understand.”

Princess Celestia quietly mumbled, “Very well.” She then took a few steps backward and settled back into her regal demeanor as a pair of unicorn guards quickly shuffled in to stand at her sides. They glanced down at the purple princess curled up on a tear-soaked pillow, and then to their fellow guard stallion who was standing at attention but breathing in panicked gasps. Their confusion was evident as they looked to their princess for the reason they had been summoned.

In her official voice, the regent of Equestria announced to all present, “Flash Sentry, for the crime in question, your sentence shall be the loss of your wings, and permanent imprisonment in the dungeon.”

The unicorn guards shot each other identical looks, and immediately marched over to Flash, standing imposingly close to him on either side. Trembling, Flash realized that even if he were to turn his head to try and see Twilight, he wouldn’t be able to get a glimpse of her around the gold-armored unicorn who was glaring at him.

Princess Celestia looked directly at Flash with ice-cold eyes, and seemed to grow taller, filling up the entire parlor. The terrified pegasus recalled stories of explorers who had become trapped under a falling boulder or log, and were forced to cut off a limb to escape. He wondered if he would be able to maintain his resolve if the princess took any longer to ask the question.

She took one more deep breath, and asked the question. “Do you confess?”

Flash gulped one time, licked his lips, and returned her cold gaze. “I do.”

Princess Celestia smiled. A genuine, happy smile. Her shoulders relaxed with relief, and she released the breath she had been holding. For an instant, Flash thought she might hug him. Before his confusion could rise past the level of his panic, she said, “So be it.”

The instant those words had left her mouth, the princess disappeared. The room shrank and retreated from Flash’s senses. The world bowed and spun, shuddering, causing ripples in the walls of solid marble as Flash fought back the bile rising in his throat. The unicorn guards, unfazed by Celestia’s abrupt teleportation, placed a sturdy canvas wing wrap around his chest, securing it with their magic before pulling him toward the door.

He walked willingly, as well as he was able in the spinning room. As he was turning the corner, he realized that there was nothing left for him, no reason for him to look back. He looked back anyway. Twilight didn’t even glance in his direction.