• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 6,293 Views, 334 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Love - Masked_Frenchman



Just another Sweetie x Mash love story. Only things don't get hitched off right away. This story tells of how they grew onto one another and how Sweetie Belle was introduced into the world of video games because of Button Mash.

  • ...
21
 334
 6,293

4: Mysterious Dream, Mysterious Gift

Chapter 4: Mysterious Dream, Mysterious Gift

“Oh, I see you love this particular game. It would be a shame if. . . it were to be crushed to dust!” Button Mash watched helplessly as the horrifying demonfied version of Snails smiled cruelly at him and raised his hoof up above his game. He struggled to break free of his bounds but found himself chained to a cross, unable to move or rush over to save his game. Tears poured out of his eyes as the pair of unicorns smiled harshly at him as they laughed and mocked him.

“NO!! Please. . . don’t do it! I’m begging you, I’ll do anything!!” Button Mash cried out. The only response he received back was dreadful, evil laughter from the two demon like unicorns. The evil Snails raised his hoof further and froze.

“Beg for it! Beg for mercy!!”

“Please, I’ll give you anything, just don’t break that!! I’ll give you bits, my favorite toys, my lunch, ANYTHING!!!” The nightmare like unicorn smirked over at him and brought his hoof down with all of his might. The hoof came crashing down, shattering the fragile game into dozens of little pieces which flew in many directions. Button Mash’s eyes opened in shock and horror as he witnessed his game being destroyed. They laughed and laughed at this. His cries and pleas only making them laugh at him even more. The moon pierced through the night sky of the endless storm clouds, shining upon Button Mash.

“Why would you do that? What have I done to deserve this? Why would you do such a thing?” They continued to laugh at him, mocking him as he laid on the cross, crying.

“You are a weak little foal! You could never stand up for yourself, you let ponies treat you poorly and only pretend it doesn’t bother you. So of course we would pick on a weakling like you!” Button Mash’s eyes squeezed tightly.

“Shut up, you’re wrong” He whispered. The two domonic unicorns slowed there laughing down and focused on him.

“What was that?”

“Shut up, you’re wrong!” he whispered more aggressively. They stopped their laughing and took a few steps closer, anger forming in their eyes now.

“What did you just say?”

“I said. . . Shut up. . . YOU’RE WRONG!!” The light from the moon shined brighter as he broke free of his chains, the cross crumbled before him and he landed perfectly on his hooves. His eyes burned with fury as he glared over at the unicorns who now started backing up away from him.

“How. . . how did. . . that’s not possible!” Button Mash held out his hoof and a beam of light shined out of it. The light swirled around his hoof for a moment as it slowly materialized into a katana (a japanese two hand sword that is made out of steel, made for slashing) that shined with a mystical glow of blue.

“I don’t care what you think, I never have! I don’t care what anyone thinks of me!” Button Mash charged at them with the new katana and jumped in the air, pulling the katana over his head for a downward slash. The fiendish unicorns took a step back as they watched fearfully as he came back down. The sword easily cut right through the creature, cutting him in half from center mass. He split where the blade sliced him and imploded into a shadowy mist. The last one turned to run but Button Mash was already on him, swinging the blade and severing his head. The dark creature also imploded into a mist of inky shadow.

“Is that all of them?” He scanned the never ending darkness of the strange world. Silence surrounded him, followed by a non-existing breeze. As he continued to observe that area, hundreds or blood red eyes appeared in every direction, followed by snickering. He readied his katana once more, his fear growing in the deepest pits of his stomach and raising.

“What do you want from me?!” The snickering grow louder as they spoke venomous words to him.

“So pathetic!

“Mama’s boy!”

“Blank flank!”

“Cry baby!”

“Worthless trash!” Button Mash dropped the sword and covered his ears, tears reforming in his eyes.

“Please stop, I give up. Just stop already!” The voices started laughing at him, their harsh glares brunning through him.

“You have no life!”

“You’ll never be anything!”

“You’ll never have friends!”

“No one likes you, why don’t you just go away, FOREVER!!” Button Mash started crying once again, curling up into a ball, crying loudly to himself and quivering in fear.

“That’s it, cry! Cry all day, that’s all you will ever be good-”

“ENOUGH!!!” The voice boomed louder than any thunder blast could ever do. Button Mash actually felt a strong vibration from the ground and even felt being pushed back. All the voices went silent. The moon shot forth beams of light, obliterating the shadows and darkness. The voices sizzled away and the crimson red eyes shimmered away, only leaving Button Mash curled up into a ball. He looked up to see what has happened and only found himself in a large, endless sea of sand.

“What. . . where am I? What happened?” Button Mash got back up, a few tears still leaking through but he wiped them away. He saw no one else in the desert, not a single sign of life anywhere. The only thing he saw was sand and the moon hanging high up in the night sky.

“We know what troubles thee in your slumber. It is very clear to us,” Button Mash looked for the source of the voice but could only find sand.

“Who said that. What do you mean ‘we’?” He cried out in confusion.

“We can not replace what was most precious to you, but perhaps we can help you learn a valuable lesson,” Button Mash back away fearfully, looking for a place to hide.

“What do you mean by that? Where are you?”

“You do not need to fear us, little colt. Just know that you will have a choice in the future. You can either live your life as you do, or take a stand beside that which you truly love most and become the being you have always wished to be,” Button Mash thought for a moment about those words, only to draw up a blank.

“What are you talking about? Who are you?!” There was only silence that greeted him back, not a single sound to be heard. It was deathly quiet. He hung his head down low, his ears dropping with his head. “I don’t know what to do,”

“In time, you will,”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Button Mash woke up to the sound of his alarm clock sounding off, telling him it was time to wake up. His eyes searched and scanned the area he was now in. He was in his own room. His joyboy in hoof’s reach, his TV at the other end of his room, his saddle bag hanging by the door. Everything was exactly the way it was. “Was it a dream?”

“Button sweetie, it’s time to get ready for school!” Button’s mom called down. He shook his head and reached over, turning off his alarm clock. Once it was silenced, he slowly got out of bed and stretched out his legs and back.

“I guess it really was all a dream. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, it was kinda weird,” He looked back over at his joyboy and the memories of yesterday returned to him. Memories he didn’t want to remember.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Mom. . . I’m home,” Button Mash called out. After a moment, Button’s mom poked her head from around the corner, smiling at him.

“Hello sweetie, did you have a good walk?” He held his head down low, tears he thought were dried away started to return, his eyes filling up with trauma. Button’s mom’s smile faded away as she saw a tear drop fell from his eyes. “Hunny, what’s wrong?” She got no response as Button Mash slowly walked past her, pulling out the milk and apple juice from his saddle and started walking away. He held a bag in his mouth, a little plastic bag that held something inside.

“Hunny, please talk to me! What’s wrong dear?” She walked over to him and pulled him into an embrace. That was it, he lost it right then and there. He felt his eyes drain themselves of tears as he pour out his soul to her. He cried loudly into her shoulder, gripping onto her like he was about to be washed away in a tide of his own emotions. She was surprised but held onto him tightly, rubbing his back and his mane.

“Moooom!!!” Button Mash cried out loudly, shaking lightly in her arms and dropping the plastic bag onto the floor.

“Shhhh, there there Button Mash, there there. Let it all out, I’m here for you dear,” Button Mash released all of his tears, no holding back this time. He never liked crying, even when it was only his mom around and that he did it so easily, but whenever his mother held onto him like this, he just couldn’t hold back. After a good long while, he finally felt his eyes drying up once more, although he still felt the tears leaking out.

“I just. . it broke. . there was nothing. . . I should have!” Button Mash’s words came out mixed up between his sobbing. Button’s mom held him close, slowly rocking back and forth, rubbing his mane and back softly.

“There there, my little Button. Everything is alright. Take deep breaths and tell me what happened. Mommy’s here to make it all better,”

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Button Mash shook his head to get that memory out of his head. He doesn’t like crying like that. Although his mom is the only pony who ever sees him get that bad. She promised to get a new game for him, but nothing could ever replace that game, it was his very favorite. With a defeated sigh he grabbed his saddlebag and went downstairs to see his mom has prepared his breakfast and already had everything packed up for him. “Thank you, mom” Button Mash said blankly. He was there but not there. He was physically in the world but his mind and soul have already left. Button’s mom could see this easily. She frowned at him and walked over to him, rubbing his back.

“Button dear. I know you are still upset about yesterday. I’m really sorry that happened. When you get back from school, we can go to your favorite game store in Canterlot and we can get you a new game, what do you think?” Button Mash sighed but nodded his head emotionlessly.

“Thank you mom, you don’t have to do that though. I’ll be fine,” He sat down and slowly ate his breakfast. Every bite seemed like a torturous year to him. He only wanted the day to end so he could crawl back to bed. School was the last place he wanted to go to right now. Button’s mom lowered her head, trying to think of a way to cheer him back up to his usual self.

“We could also get milkshakes and donuts from Joe’s Donut shop. I could get you your favorite!” She teased with a cheerful smile. Button Mash shrugged his shoulders.

“Sure, that sounds like fun,” His voice was still cold and dead as he finished up his breakfast. Button’s mom’s smile disappeared and sigh in defeat. She only hopped that nothing bad would happen at school to make this worse.

“Just try to have a good day at school, ok sweetie, I’ll walk you if you want?”

“Sure mom, that’s fine,” Everything just didn’t phase him. It took so much to get him out of this kind of mood, and Button’s mom knew that. After he finished he got down from the table and put on his saddlebag, walking over to the door. She sighed and walked over to open the door for him. The walk there felt like as if they were walking through a graveyard. The air seemed chilled, silence surrounded the little, brown colt, and even the weather seemed to be trying to fit his mood with dark clouds blocking out the sun, threatening to rain. Button’s mom looked up at the sky, taking notice to the dark rain clouds.

“After school, try to come home as soon as you can. It looks like it is gonna rain today,” Button nodded blankly at her request.

“Sure,” Button’s mom looked down at her little colt, her face filled with concern. If he had friends, they could cheer him up, but since he doesn’t have any friends. . The school came into sight around the corner from their side of the road. When they got to the school, Button’s mom stopped by the front gate and gave Button Mash a kiss on top of his head.

“Try to be positive, sweetie. Make sure you bring in all of your home work and try to pay attention in class,” Button Mash didn’t even react, he just nodded his head.

“Alright mom. Love you, bye,” His words still had little to no life in them, making her worry about her son. She stayed by the gate a while longer, watching him slowly walk to the door of the school with all of his classmates.

“Hang in there, hunny,” With a final nod, Button’s mom started her walk back home. As she walked back she kept her mind on trying to think of a way to make her little colt happy again. She couldn’t help it, this was one thing that makes her truly distressed. When she finally got home she started to walk into her house when her hoof brushed against something on the ground. She glanced down to see it was a box. she picked it up and brought it inside. She shut the door and brought the box into the kitchen to examine the box more carefully.

“That’s odd, Derpy normally doesn’t bring the mail till later afternoon, why did it come so early?” looking at it more carefully she noticed this box was different. It was not made out of cardboard, but wood, and the wood was slick, smooth, and clean. “Derpy always get’s the mail dirty by the time she get’s to us. Has her mail route changed again?” Upon further searching, she saw who it was addressed to and made her raise an eyebrows in confusion and shock. “Why is it addressed to Button Mash?!”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Button Mash sat down in his seat, putting his saddlebag aside and burying his face into his arms. He didn’t care about school at this moment, all he really wanted to do was sleep and let the day pass away. For once, can the teacher not pick me for anything today. I just want this day to go- “Good morning class! I have forgotten something for class today, so you may have some free time while I am gone. Please behave, I will only be gone for about 15 minutes,” Explained Cheerirlee with her usual, welcoming smile. She nodded towards the class and walked out. The students began talking amongst themselves about their week ends and all the activities they have accomplished. Button Mash paid no attention to them, nor did he care. All he could think about was what happened yesterday.

“Hey blank flank!” a voice sounded close by. Sounds like Diamond Tiara is picking on those three again. “Hey, I’m talking to you!” This time it sounded closer. Button Mash peeked out from the cover of his arms to see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon at his desk, glaring down at him with devious smiles.

“What do you guys want? Just leave me alone,” They snickered at that, only making them get closer.

“Aww, what’s wrong? Still crying over your little game that broke yesterday?” Button Mash’s ears perked right up in shock. He stared at them dumbfounded. Half the class turned their attention towards the three of them.

“How do you know about that?!”

“Oh, that little detail doesn’t matter. By the way, how long did you spend crying like a little foal for that piece of plastic?” Silver Spoon asked in a mocking manner, making the two fillies snickering to one another. Button Mash felt his face get red and his eyes starting to fill with new found tears.

“Just stop it, leave me alone!” THey only locked their gazes at him and took another step towards him.

“Why? Is the wittle cwy baby need his wittle bottle? Is it time to feed the wittle baby?” Silver Spoon asked in a cruel manner. Making them both laugh, a couple other students tried to hide some giggles.

“Please guys, stop it already!” Button Mash fought hard to help back his tears, but they were getting ready to make a grand appearance. He squeezed his eyes shut to try to delay the inevitable, he didn’t want to help prove their point.

“Hey Silver Spoon, how much do you wanna bet he still sucks his wittle hoof every night before bed? In fact, I think that-”

THAT’S ENOUGH YOU TWO!!!” The voice shouted outward in a surprisingly booming voice. The two jumped a little by the sudden shout. When they turned to see who it was, it was Sweetie Belle, and she looked enraged. She was huntched over as if she was preparing to tackle them. Applebloom and Scootaloo were right behind her, looking fairly annoyed themselves.

“Wow, Sweetie Belle, I didn’t know that you cared about him. What is he your coltfriend or something?” Asked Diamond Tiara sarcastically. Sweetie Belle had a faint blush across her cheeks but she held her firm glare at them.

“No, I just can’t stand you two picking on someone who clearly is not in the mood to be dealing with your stupid drama!” Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon looked at her shocked, and even her friends. Applebloom leaned forward next to Sweetie Belle and whispered something quietly quietly in her ear. Button Mash kept his eyes fixed on Sweetie Belle, his eyes open wide in shock as well. Not for the sudden aggressive behavior like everyone else is surprised of, but the fact that, for once in his life, somepony has actually stood up for him that wasn’t his mom or big brother.

“Yea, yea I know, I’ll explain later” Sweetie Belle whispered back to Applebloom, loud enough for Button Mash to hear, but just bearly.

“Anyway, I guess we will leave, we don’t want to waste our time with blank flanks anyway. Come on Silver Spoon, let’s get back to our seats,” Said Diamond Tiara with her snout in the air. Her and Silver Spoon walked away and got back to their seats. Button Mash sat there in disbelief, waiting to see if what really happened actually happened or not. Once they were gone, Sweetie Belle relaxed and returned to a proper standing position, taking a deep breath to help relax herself. She now focused her gaze to Button Mash, who was staring back at her, his mouth slightly open in shock.

“Hey, are you ok?” She asked in concern. Button Mash held his gaze a moment longer and shook his head.

“Why did you stand up for me?” He asked innocently and confused. Sweetie Belle thought for a moment and took a couple steps towards him.

“I can’t stand those two! They think they are better than everypony else. I mean they pick on us, for sure, but to see them pick on somepony else like that. It really makes me mad,” Applebloom and Scootaloo nodded their heads in agreement. Scootaloo was the first one to walk up to Button Mash, offering a hoof.

“My name is Scootaloo, it’s nice to meet ya!” Button Mash looked at the hoof for a moment, hesitating on what to do. With a smile he raised his own hoof and grasped hers, giving it a little shake. Applebloom was the second to walk up to him, raising her hoof to him as well.

“Mah name is Applebloom, You’re Button Mash, ah rekon,” Button mash shook her hoof as well, nodding his head.

“Yeah, how did you know?” Applebloom and Scootaloo turned back to Sweetie Belle he glared back at them and they turned back to Button Mash,”

“We, uh, heard about you. No one in particular though,” Applebloom muffled a giggle to herself, earning a confused expression from Button Mash. Sweetie Belle walked up and offered a hoof up to him as well.

“My name is Sweetie Belle, it’s nice to make your acquaintance,” She offered her hoof to him, and he accepted it happily, shaking her hoof as well.

“Hi Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo. It’s nice to meet you all. Thanks for standing up for me. No one really does that,” Scootaloo shrugged her shoulders.

“Hey, no sweat it. That’s what friends are for, right?” Button Mash stared at her with a stare of amazement and surprise.

“So. . . are we friends?” The three fillies looked at each other with a friendly smile and looked back over at him.

“Yeah! I rekon that we are friends, that’s if ya wanna be friends,” Button Mash nodded his head happily towards them.

“I would love to!” He exclaimed with a bit more enthusiasm than he intended. Sweetie Belle giggled a bit towards him, Applebloom laughed softly and Scootaloo was laughing, making Button Mash look at them a bit embarrassed.

“That’s great to hear. Hey, maybe we can all hang out after school!” Sweetie Belle suggested. Button MAsh looked over to her with a smile.

“Yeah, I would like that. Maybe we can-” Cheerilee walked through the door, carrying a box carefully on her back.

“Ok class, I managed to get the supplies we needed, everyone take your seats!” She announced to the class. Everyone started going back to their seats as instructed.

“Well, I guess we will have to talk later. We’ll see you after school,” With a happy nod Sweetie Belle started to go back to her seat.

“We’ll be seeing ya after class, bye Button Mash!” Applebloom said excitedly as she walked back to her seat.

“Yeah, what they said. It will be cool to talk to you then. Later Button Mash,” Scootaloo said calmly but still friendly as she returned to her own seat. Button Mash sat there in his own seat, looking at the three fillies who just saved him from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. He was still a little shocked from what had happened. He leaned forward and placed his hooves on his arms, smiling in content to himself, his smile large and bright.

“I have friends,” he whispered to himself in a dream like state. He giggled to himself as he zoned out, no longer paying any attention to what was happening in the classroom. All he could think about was three little, simple words. . . . .

“I have friends. . . “

Author's Note:

So here ya go, I power housed it and managed to post this. So it would appear that Button Mash has finally obtained some friends, great job for him! :twilightsmile: I wonder what is in stored for him with his new found friendship. Also, a new great and mysterious question. . . . what's in the box?! :rainbowderp: You may find out next chapter. Maybe, could be, who knows :derpytongue2: Anyway, I will be going to my dad's tomorrow morning, and I will be gone for 3 weeks. Sorry guys. I hope you do not mind the wait guys. I will work on another chapter as soon as I get back, cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake with in my eye. For if I lie, to Pinkie Pie, I can kiss my flank good bye! :pinkiehappy: :rainbowlaugh: One a side note, I have been loving the comments, usually I don't get a lot of comments on one of my stories, but I actually have a page two of comments!!! :pinkiegasp: So thank you a lot guys! Anyway guys, I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I hope to see you in the future chapters ahead. Have a great morning/day/evening. As always, bye bye for now. :twilightsmile: