• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 6,293 Views, 334 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Love - Masked_Frenchman



Just another Sweetie x Mash love story. Only things don't get hitched off right away. This story tells of how they grew onto one another and how Sweetie Belle was introduced into the world of video games because of Button Mash.

  • ...
21
 334
 6,293

8: Knight in Shining Armour

Chapter 8: Knight in Shining Armour

“They are running away, get them!” Two large shadowed objects ran out of the cover of some shrubs next to a cottage house and ran for the forest. Button Mash glared over at the swift, dark creatures in the moon lit sky. He drew back a lance with his right hand, aiming towards the dark shadows.

“Hurry, they are almost lost!” Button Mash ignored the voice in distress and focused carefully at his target, waiting for the right time to launch his projectile. They were getting closer to the forest line. Every second meant they were getting farther away from the range of his lance. Button Mash pulled back and threw his weapon. It sliced through the crisp air and impaled one into the ground. The other skidded to a halt, looking over at it’s accomplice.

“Well, get another one ready!” Button Mash rolled his eyes but instead he raised his hooves up and clapped them towards the lance.

“I got this!” He mumbled to himself with annoyance. The lance sparked outwards, releasing a bright shock wave that fried the other creature, petrifying it. Button Mash ran over and examined his handy work.

“Well, that is two less giant rats you will have to worry about no longer!” A mare walked over to him, examining them closely but carefully.

“They are gone then? Never to be feared again?” The young mare asked with slow, careful steps towards the giant vermine. Her grey peasant robes dragged lightly on the ground behind her. She had a short blue mane and grass green eyes. She seemed to have a blond body underneath the attire that she possessed.

“Yes, yes. I have taken care of them. You don’t need to worry about them any more,” Button Mash explained to the now calming mare who sighed in relief hearing those words. He pulled out his lance from the first giant rat and stuck it into the ground next to him, using it to lean against.

“Thank you so much for helping me. Please, take this as a reward for your hard work and bravery! My farm would have been ruined if you hadn’t come along,” He nodded to her with a humble smile, holding up his hoof at her.

“Please, there is no need to thank me so, but since I am in a hurry and you seem to not want to take no for an answer, I’ll accept your generosity open heartedly,” The mare blushed lightly, waving a hoof at him.

“You are such a charmer, thank you kind sir,”

“Of course, now I have to go to the next town over, The Town of Waking Seas. Do you know how much longer I have till I have arrived?”

“You have to travel through the Razor’s Edge and the village will be with in sight,”

“Thank you, I must be off,” Button Mash bowed his head towards the mare and he headed out. He cleaned his lance with a rag and sheathed it right back into it’s pouch on his back, tucking the rag away in his back pocket. He walked alone on the road to the next town. He needed to try to find work in the city he so slowly approached.

“Button dear, it’s time,” Button Mash sighed in annoyance, rolling his eyes to himself. He paused the game and called out towards his mother.

“MOM!! I only made it to level nine! Can I please keep playing?”

“You have to go to town, dear. You promised me that you would if I let you play yesterday you would pick up the groceries today,” Button Mash growled quietly and was about to curse down at her in Homgolian, but he remembered how that went last time so he decided against it with a defeated sigh.

“Ok! I’ll be down in a second!” Button Mash called down urgently. He grabbed his bag and looked into the mirror. He readjusted his hat and smiled at his complexion, stroking his upper lip with an almost day dreaming like gaze. “I wish mom would let me use dad’s mustache again, it was sooo cool!” He frowned for a second, scratching where the fake mustache was on that day, but shook the idea way, going back to smiling.

Button Mash nodded at his reflection, grabbed his joyboy and saddle bag, and walked down the stairs. He hummed a quiet little tune to himself from his game as he approached his mother. “So what do I need to get?” Button’s mom was cooking up something on the stove. What ever it was, it smelt really good and filled Button Mash’s nostrils with a mouth watering aroma.

“I have the list and bits on the table, sweety. Just make sure to get back here before lunch is done,” She turned around to see Button Mash’s mouth slightly open and his eyes staring with a hypnotic stare over to the metal pot she was cooking with. Her gaze turned into confusion as she examined him. “Ummm, are you ok Button?” He shook his head to break the trance and looked at his mother in the eye.

“Sorry, it smells sooooo good. What are you cooking?” Button Mash asked curiously, wiping a small trail of drool from his lips. Button’s mom giggled, looking back at the cooking pot with a teasing smile.

“Oh, just a little recipe I’ve had planned for a little while now. I was hoping to make it sooner but I never had the right ingredients to cook it with. It’s a little surprise I have for you later today, so make sure to take your time so I can make sure to have everything ready for you,”

“Ok, mom!” Button Mash exclaimed excitedly, nodding his head to her with a large smile on his face. Button’s mom giggled as he rushed over to the note and small bag of bits, placing them both in his saddle bag.

“I’ll be back soon!” And like that he dashed out the door. Button’s mom shook her head, smiling at where Button Mash was just standing not a minute ago. After a quiet giggle she returned to her cooking, stirring some sort of sauce with in the bubbling pot.

“He needs to learn to take life one step at a time. He always rushes things,”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Button Mash walked through town with his nose to his joyboy, ignoring the world once again as he always does when ever he goes outside. He would glance up every now and then, just to make sure he didn’t bump into anything, although he always does either way.

“I have to get through the Dead Wood and then through Razor’s Edge, and then the next town should be right past that. At least that is what the farmers said,” He glanced up for a moment and saw he didn’t have anything in front of him. “Huh, odd. I haven’t ran into anything yet,” He scanned the area for a second, making sure he was still going the right way, then continued marching on, playing his game.

He turned the corner and continued walking forward. He glanced up at the road and then to his right, seeing a little flower bed in a window sill. He glanced back but he heard a little 8-bit tune play out and a smile formed across his face, returning his focus onto the game enthusiastically. “Yes, level ten! Finally! Leveling up is hard in this game, but it looks sooo coooool!!” Button Mash heard a sound behind him like hooves skidding behind him. He spun around quickly to the sound but saw no one there, only a small trial mark in the ground leading a couple feet to him.

Around the corner he could have sworn he heard a quiet whisper. It didn’t sound like it was for him so he shrugged his shoulders and ignored it. “Not sure what that is about but it’s not my business, and my mom told me to stay out of other ponies business,” With a nod he put his face back into his game and continued walking.

“I normally walk into something by now, maybe today is my lucky- oh look a cave!” Button Mash’s character stood in front of a normal, standard looking cave that led a rough path into pitch black darkness. He pulled out his lance and a torch and trailed through the rocky path into the cave. The torch illuminated around him, creating dancing shadows and glowing stone walls. He glanced over at one part of the wall, seeing something carved into it.

“This must be some sort of secret tip, or maybe a hint! But what if-” Button Mash stuck his tongue out partially in the corner of his mouth as he focused on what the carvings said.

A flower pot landed behind him with a loud CRASH, making him jump into the air. He glanced back at the mess and gulped down fearfully. “That almost hit me, today must be my lucky day,” he whispered to himself. “Maybe I should pay more attention to where I am going,”

Button Mash returned to his walking and glanced back at the game, only to find out that the markings were gone. “Ah come on! How was I suppose to know that I only had a moment to look at it. Stupid flower pot!” He glared at the broken flower pot with a harsh glare and kept walking forward.

Button Mash looked up once more, after a while of walking and playing his game, he finally reached his destination, the marketplace. He pulled out his list from his saddlebag and tucked his joyboy away, putting his game on pause. He walked slowly through the crowd, glancing at the list and then around at all the stalls. Only a few groups of ponies were walking around at this time of day so he wasn’t worried about bumping into anyone or anything.

Button Mash saw one of the stands he was after, the carrot stall. He started walking up to the vendor, smiling to himself.

“Hey blank flank!” Cried out a voice to his right. He sighed and rolled his eyes, he knew exactly who’s voice that belonged to and they were the last pair he wanted to see right now. He heard a wagon moving and when he looked over, a large cart carrying large, wooden barrels. He looked around for the source of the name calling but couldn’t see anyone around him looking his way.

“I could have sworn. . . . never mind, it doesn’t matter,” He shrugged it off and kept walking to his destination.

“Hi, how may I help you little colt?” The vendor asked politely.

“I need ten carrots, please” He reached into his saddle bag again and pulled out the bit bag his mother gave him.

“Sure thing, that will be ten bits!” Button Mash pulled out the correct number of bits and placed them onto the makeshift counter. “Thank you, have a nice day!” She placed ten carrots into a bag and handed it over to the little earth pony.

“Thanks, you too!” Button Mash called over with a cheerful grin on his face. This went on for about half an hour due to the crowds picking up and trying to find all the vendors. Once his task had been completed, he turned away from the market place and started making his way back home. Not even ten minutes from walking away from the market, he heard the voice again.

“Hey, blank flank, where do you think you’re going?” Button Mash stopped, sighed annoyed and turned around to face the annoying duo bully filles, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. The strange thing was that they were soaking wet, and very mad. It looks like they went swimming.

“Do you guys really have nothing better to do but to bug me?” The two filles giggled harshly at his remark.

“Well well well, looks like you stopped crying like a little foal,” Diamond Tiara replied back with a smirk.

“Maybe his mommy let him suck on his wittle bottle of milk today,” They laughed at their own jokes, making Button Mash take a step back away from them, making them step forward. He repeated the steps but they still were closing the distance between them.

“Whatcha doing? Going out and doing a wittle favor for your mommy. You must feel like a big colt now,” He glared at them nervously, glancing around for a subtle way out. They really get on my nervous, I got to get out of here!

“Can you leave me alone already, it’s not nice to pick on other ponies,” They laughed again at him, now walking around him closely, surrounding him. Keep your eyes on both of them, once they get closer, pull out the shock lance and strike- oh darn! This isn’t my game! They got behind him, smirking and snickering at his panicked face. He kept his front side to them, making sure they didn’t get to have his back. Diamond Tiara was about to say something but she looked up above Button Mash and her mouth remained open, her look of cruelty turned into shock, Silver Spoon matching the expression.

“What?” He suddenly turned around very slowly and his jaw dropped in complete shock, taking a step back.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“What do you mean we ran out of cutie mark ideas?!” Sweetie Belle cringed at Scootaloo’s sudden out burst. She pulled out a clipboard and showed it to them weakly, a check mark next to everything on it.

“I mean that we have run out goals on the clipboard. We need to refill the list,” Applebloom and Scootaloo sighed in annoyance, Scootaloo leaned back and fell onto her back, face hoofing. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been trying to complete their ultimate goal of realizing their destiny and obtaining their cutie marks at the park, but of course everything failed. They all hung their heads in defeat, not knowing what to do now.

“Well, let’s try ta think of somethin while we’re just layin here in the sun,” Scootaloo lifted her head off the ground and nodded, followed by Sweetie Belle.

“What HAVEN’T we tried yet?” Scootaloo asked to her friends almost sarcastically, yawning out of boredom.

“We can try to take care of pets!” Sweetie Belle offered with a hopeful smile, her ears perking up.

“We already tried that, with Spike, remember?” Applebloom reminded, making her ears drop down again. They went down a verbal list of everything they have tried already when Sweetie Belle spotted Button Mash walking in the streets, his nose glued to his joyboy. She had a small smile on her face and a sudden urge to run up and say hi, but she felt a little nervous about it.

Wait. . . nervous? Sweetie Belle felt nervous but was trapped deep in thought trying to figure out why. Nothing was different about him. Just like the first time when he was walking around town with his full attention to his game. He didn’t seem different in any way.

“SWEETIE BELLE!!” She jumped by her name being yelled at over to her. She turned her head over to her friends who were looking at her concerned.

“Hey, are ya ok?” Applebloom asked with a cautious look in her eyes. Sweetie Belle nodded at her with a small smile.

“Yea, I was just thinking of. . . uhh,” She glanced back over to Button Mash and an idea hatched inside her head. “Guardian Angel Cutie Marks!” Her friends looked at her with a confused look on their faces.

“What is that?”

“You know, like when somepony has a guardian angel watching over them, protecting them from harm without ever showing themselves. We should try that!” Applebloom and Scootaloo thought that idea through. After a moment they both smiled at the idea and turned to Sweetie Belle with a smile.

“That’s actually a cool idea! Imagine what our cutie marks would look like!”

“Yea, if we could get somethin like that, I reckon we would have the best cutie marks in the whole class! Let’s do it, ya’ll!”

“GUARDIAN ANGEL CUTIE MARKS!!!” They all shouted, jumping up in the air in excitement. They nodded in agreement, now dead set on this new goal of their’s. Excitement building up rapidly.

“So. . . who are we going to protect?” Sweetie Belle glanced at Button Mash who was starting to leave her sight.

“Why not Button Mash? He is so clumsy and always looking at his game while he walks. I bet he is bound to walk into something. He would be easy!” Scootaloo and Applebloom looked at each other for a second and then back to Sweetie Belle.

“You got a point, ok. He does seem like a trouble magnet sometimes, doesn’t he? This will be a sintch!” With one final nod they took off, Sweetie Belle in the lead.

“I saw him walk around over here, he might be heading to the marketplace or the center of town,” The Cutie Mark Crusaders ran around town for a moment till they turned a corner and almost ran into Button Mash, literally. They skidded to a halt and quickly ducked into cover.

“Do you think he saw us?” Applebloom asked in a faint whisper. Scootaloo glanced around the corner, trying to remain hidden as much as she could. She turned back to her friends quickly and shook her head followed with a wink. The other two fillies sighed in relief and relaxed.

“Come on, we have to follow him!” Sweetie Belle whispered as she slowly sneaked around the corner, followed closely by her friends. They stopped behind an empty stall and watched Button Mash walk about like he normally does.

Applebloom looked up and pointed up at a house hold. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo looked up to see a cat rubbing up against a flower pot, pushing it closer and closer to the edge. Sweetie Belle’s eyes widen in panic, looking down to see Button Mash about to walk under it. As if planned, the cat knocked the flower pot off the window sill and it came down for his head.

Sweetie Belle aimed her horn and closed her eyes. Her horn flickered with a green aura magic and glowed brighter. She grunted quietly and focused as hard as she could. Her horn made a large flicker and the flower pot was pulled towards her a few inches, crashing behind him,

“Whoa! Sweetie Belle, you actually did magic! That was awesome!” Scootaloo exclaimed, her little wings flapped rapidly in excitement. Sweetie Belle whipped some sweat from her forehead and turned to look at her friends who looked at her in amazement.

“Well it wasn’t easy and I didn’t even do much. All I did was pull it closer to me,”

“Still, that was awesome, you totally saved his life! If you weren’t around, that flower pot would’ve hit him in the head,” Sweetie Belle rubbed the back of her head bashfully, a faint blush forming across her cheeks.

“Oh I don’t think I would-”

“He’s gettin away!” They all turned and saw Applebloom was right and they took off once more. When they turned the corner, Button Mash had reached his destination, the marketplace. They looked over and saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon walking up to him.

“Come on girls! We got a pony to save!” Applebloom declared with a confident look upon her face, they ran over to the alley way they were coming from and saw a wagon filled with large wooden barrels.

The bullies looked over to Button Mash and smiled wickedly at him, picking up the pace a little. “Hey black flank!” The three fillies rushed over and pushed the wagon and blocked the alley way from Button Mash’s sight. The pair of fillies stopped in their tracks and glared up at their classmates. “Hey, what gives? Are the blank flanks uniting or something?” Diamond Tiara asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Maybe that colt joined their stupid little club in the woods,” They both started laughing at them. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes.

“Well, at least we don’t-”

“He’s gettin away, hurry girls!” Darn, I had a really good come back, too. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo turned back to see he was going into the gathering of stalls, walking through the crowds.

“Well let’s go then, slow pokes!” Scootaloo demanded, jumping off the wagon, shaking the barrels lightly. Applebloom was the next to jump off, rocking the barrels more. Sweetie Belle turned to them and jumped off as well, knocking one of the barrels over. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon happened to glance up at the last moment to see the large barrel tipping over towards their direction, their faces of harsh laughter replaced with shock and panic.

The only sound that was heard by the trio of fillies was a short scream and a lot of water splashing onto the ground Applebloom turned over to Scootaloo. “Ya’ll don’t think the rain barrel tipped over, do ya?” Scootaloo shook her head with a slightly panicked expression.

“No, no they’re fine,”

“Should we go check?”

“Nope, keeping going!” Sweetie Belle giggled softly under her breath, glancing back at the wagon. When she turned back, Button Mash had disappeared. They stopped and took a good look around, trying to find any trace of the little brown colt walking through the crowds. Sweetie Belle felt a single bead of sweat trail down her face as panic started to rise with in her.

“It’s getting more crowded, we won’t find him if it get’s any worse,”

“Well what do you want us to do? There’s no way we can find him through this!”

They searched the market place with no luck. They only found more stallions and mares trying to complete their shopping. After what felt like hours of searching, Applebloom spotted him leaving, and the pair of, now soaking wet, bullies calling out to him.

“There he is, and he’s in trouble, hurry!” They all turned and ran over, trying to remain hidden. It was too late though, for Button Mash was already trying to back up away from them, trying to get some space but they were getting closer and closer.

“We’re too late! If we try to do anything now, we will be spotted!” Scootaloo exclaimed in panic, turning back to her friends. Sweetie Belle searched the area aimlessly, trying to find some sort of hint. As they were all looking, the talking over where Button Mash was went silent. When they looked they saw a royal Canterlot guard standing over the three.

“What is a royal guard doing here?” Sweetie Belle asked herself, puzzled. The guard glared at the three little ponies firmly. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were cowering against his gaze while Button Mash just simply looked surprised.

“Excuse me, little fillies. Please leave this colt alone. I believe no one should pick on another ponies,” They nodded to him, backing up even more, looking as if they were about to take off running. “Except for their big brother!” He knelt down and opened his arms towards Button Mash. He hesitated but finally smiled, charging in for the hug.

“Cheat Code!” He tackled into the large guard and gripped him tightly into a hug, the guard in question hugged him right back with a big, cheerful smile on his face.

‘WHAT?!?!” Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon shouted out loud, their jaws hitting the ground.

Author's Note:

Well I have returned. I had a few problems with the internet being hooked up but now I have returned to the people I know and love :twilightsmile: I decided to give you guys a bit longer of a chapter, not too much, just a little longer. Once again a cliff hanger, aren't I so mean? :rainbowkiss: So here is chapter 8 and now it would appear that Cheat Code has come by for a visit. Who knows what sort of things they will cook up together, or maybe they will just sit back and relax, who knows, right? So it looks like things might get a little interesting. So I have returned, as you have seen. I have some things in the works that you guys will see later, don't worry, it isn't too far off :raritywink: So I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter as much as I have enjoyed writing. I hope to see you all in the future chapters ahead. I hope you have a great morning/day/evening. As always, bye bye for now :twilightsmile: