• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 6,293 Views, 334 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Love - Masked_Frenchman



Just another Sweetie x Mash love story. Only things don't get hitched off right away. This story tells of how they grew onto one another and how Sweetie Belle was introduced into the world of video games because of Button Mash.

  • ...
21
 334
 6,293

10: Return the Favor

Chapter 10: Return the Favor

Button Mash felt the warm rays of sunlight shine down from the window and onto him. He did not want to leave the comfort of his own bed. With a loud noise from his alarm clock, he grunted in annoyance and got up anyway. “I don’t wanna go to school today!”

He reached over and turned off his alarm clock off, stopping the dreadful noise that sounded from it. He slowly tried to get out of bed but fell right back in it, going back to sleep. Cheat Code slowly opened the door to his room, grinning ear to ear at seeing Button Mash still sleeping. He crept up to him, not making a single sound. Once he got up to him, he rubbed his front hooves with a sinister look. He took a deep breath and leaned towards the little, sleeping colt.

“BUTTON MASH, IT’S TIME TO GET READY FOR SCHOOL!!!” Button Mash launched out of the bed and fell onto the floor. He got on all four hooves and looked around in fear, looking up to see his big brother fighting hard to not laugh.

“That’s not funny!” Cheat Code lost it right there and burst into laughter, falling onto his back. Button Mash glared at him with anger but walked past him, getting his saddle bag ready. Cheat Code stopped laughing and slowly got back up, turning towards Button Mash.

“Oh come on, don’t be like that, it was just a joke!” He ignored him and packed away his joyboy along with his books and note books. He started making his way for the bedroom door but Cheat Code came over and put him in a gentle head lock. “Come on, little bro, you know I am just messing with ya. I haven’t messed with ya in forever! I got a lot of time to make up,”

Button Mash sighed in defeat, knowing nothing was gonna stop him once he had a target in mind. “I know, can you just take it easy on it, please?” Button Mash pouted up to him, giving him the puppy dog eyes. Cheat Code looked deeply into his eyes, smiling down at him.

“That works on mom, but it doesn’t work on me,” Button Mash pouted again, this time in anger.

“Darn!” Cheat Code laughed some more and patted his head.

“Don’t you have to get ready for school,” Button Mash looked away and walked down the stairs, leaving his brother in his room. “One of these days, I know he will surprise us all,”

Button Mash grabbed his lunch, which was already made and left out on the table, and packed it away into his saddle bag. His mother was finishing up with dishes across from him.

“Good morning, Button dear. What would you like for breakfast?” Button Mash shook his head, grabbing a banana from the kitchen counter next to a box of cupcakes.

“Sorry mom, I have to go to school,” His mom turned around to face him, a sudden look of confusion on her face.

“But you still have thirty minutes before you have to leave,”

“I wanna get there early,”

“Why?”

Button Mash finished the banana and threw away the peel, heading out the door. “I want to say hi to my friends before school starts. See ya mom!” He waved good bye before she could reply and walked out the door, leaving his mom a little shocked in the kitchen. She stood there for a moment before she smiled weakly.

“I didn’t think I would ever hear that from him. I am so proud of you sweetie,” She turned to look at the counter and noticed that he took a cupcake from a small box. Her happy look turned into annoyance. “Button Mash!”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Button Mash pulled out a blue cupcake and took a bite out of it, smiling to himself victoriously. “Hehehe, and she didn’t even notice!” He said to himself with a large smile, taking another bite. He looked around to see the sun rising over the horizon. The birds were singing their cheerful tunes, the stalls were starting to open up, but no one was really out quite yet, still too early.

He continued his lonesome walk like he always did. Nothing was really different about this walk to school like any other. He was still by himself, still no one to talk to, nothing had changed. Button Mash looked at the cupcake with a slight, lonely look on his face. “I’ve been here for a year now, and everything is still about the same,”He sighed in defeat and walked on his way.

Not long after he made it to school. A few of his classmates were hanging around, talking to each other or reading a book under the trees. He saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders at the other end of the school yard, talking to one another. A smile formed across his lips and started walking towards them. Maybe a few things has changed.

He held his smile as he walked up to them, probably talking about another idea for a new cutie mark or something. He never understood the big deal about cutie marks, but he knew a lot of ponies considered it a big deal, like them. The whole class knew about their obsession, even him.

While walking towards his friends he saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon walking up to them. They turned to see them and their moods immediately switched from happy to angry. “Oh no, I need to help them! Why can’t they just go away and stop bugging ponies!”

“Wow, it’s like you actually like that loser. I guess worthless losers will always be with worthless losers,” Diamond Tiara stated with a cruel smile and an evil glare on her face.

He rushed over to them and approached the two bullies. “Hey, leave them alone!” All five of them turned towards Button Mash a little startled.

“Button Mash!” Sweetie Belle called out in surprise.

“Look who it is, blank flank number four! It looks like these losers just can’t stay away from each other,” Button Mash glared at Diamond Tiara, walking up to her. Silver Spoon leaned to the side towards her friend.

“What about that guard from yesterday though, he told us to leave him alone,” Diamond Tiara smirked harshly at her friend and then to Button Mash.

“And do you see him around? No! Without his big, tough brother to fight his battles for him, he is nothing but a sad little colt. He is as worthless as the other blank flanks. Just a bunch of losers like-” They were cut short when they felt a sudden change in atmosphere.

Button Mash had his head lowered to the ground, the air became cold and thin around them all. He gritted his teeth and tensed his muscles. He was fighting his anger, a battle he was losing.

“Don’t you dare call them that!” He earned a laugh from the two fillies that stood before him.

“What, blank flanks, or losers. Either one fits you guys perfectly. The only thing that-”

“ENOUGH!!” Button stomped a hoof into the ground, making a small crack in it and shook the ground slightly. He aimed his head at them with a fierce gaze that could scare off a hydra. The two young earth ponies instantly changed. Now they stood there, shaking.

“B-B-Button?” Sweetie Belle asked in a whisper, shaking as well.

“You better get out of here and leave my friends ALONE!!” They saw a dark, purple aura looming over Button Mash, smiling sinisterly at them. The two nodded and ran off like a manticore was hot on their tails.

Button Mash watched them intently as they ran off into the school house. Once they were out of sight he dropped the act and wiped off a bead of sweat, sighing in relief.

“Works every time!” He turned his attention to his friends who have calmed down, but still a bit on edge. “Are you girls ok?” They looked at one another in disbelief and then Applebloom and Scootaloo turned back with an astonished smile on their faces, Sweetie Belle still held a shocked face, still in disbelief.

“That was awesome! How did you do that?! That was sooo cool!”

“Yea, ah reckon they won’ be messin with us fer a long time now! Thanks fer your help,” Button Mash scratched the back of his head bashfully, smiling shyly to himself.

“Oh it was nothing. I couldn’t just stand there and watch them pick on you like that. I had to do something,” They nodded, walking up to him, Sweetie Belle followed suit. He stopped sratching his head and stood up straight again as they approached closer.

“Well you were all like ‘Leave them alone’ and they were all like ‘Please don’t hurt us’ and you were all like ‘get out of here’ and they were all like ‘ahhh’! It was awesome!” Scootaloo exclaimed enthusiastically, acting out everything that just happened.

“But how in tarnation did ya do it? It looked to be somethin’ from a scary movie or somethin’,”

“Oh no, it’s from one of my video games! I used the Glare of Lucifer on them. It produces an image of the user's emotions before their victim and scares them off, I’ve done it to them before,”

“Yea, we heard all about it!” Applebloom replied with a smile, earning a cautious glance from her friends. Button Mash gave them a confused look.

“How did you guys know about it? You weren’t there,”

“We heard it from-” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle covered Applebloom's mouth.

“Around town! A pony saw you and you know how fast rumors spreads,” Button Mash thought that through for a second but nodded back.

“That makes sense, ok. So what were you guys talking about before they showed up?” Before they could say anything, they heard something from behind him.

“Button Mash, come here please!” Although 'please' was at the end of the sentence, it did not sound welcoming, more like a demand. Button Mash turned around and saw Cheerilee and the two trouble making fillies right behind her, sticking their tongues out at him behind her back.

He sighed in annoyance but knew he was in big trouble. He figured they had told on him to the teacher, judging by the look on her face. He looked back at his friends with a weak smile, nodded to them, and walked over to the teacher with his head hung low. He reached his dreaded destination and slowly looked up into his teachers angry eyes.

“Button Mash, do you know why I called you over?” He looked over at the two fillies glaring at him with victorious smiles planted firmly across their faces, away from the teacher's line of sight. He looked back up to the teacher.

“I think I do,”

“These poor fillies were on the verge of tears, telling me that you bullied them off, scaring them away when they were trying to be your friend!” Button Mash resisted his very hardest to roll his eyes or glare at them back and kept his eyes up at Cheerilee.

“They were the ones bullying my friends!”

“Not the way I see it. They were the ones who came to me, the looks on their faces were truly horrified. Judging by the looks of this, it appears to me that they are the victims here,” Button Mash mentally surrendered knowing that there was no way he was gonna be able to get himself out of this one.

“Because of this, I’m giving you detention after school and your mother will be notified about this little incident,” Button Mash’s ears dropped to the ground, he never liked his mother’s lectures, but then again, who does?

“Yes, miss Cheerilee,” Button Mash said weakly, nodding to his teacher. She softened her glare and nodded back.

“I am glad you understand that what you have done was a wrong. I will be seeing you after class,” She turned around and headed back to the school house. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon stuck their tongues out at him and followed suit.

Button Mash turned to his friends who looked at him with expressions of pity. He smiled at them and turned to start heading into class. I may have gotten in trouble, but I am just glad that I was able to stand up for them! He smiled proudly to himself as he turned to see his friends catching up to him, standing by his side, all with happy smiles aimed at him.

No matter what happens, I will always stand by my friend’s side, because I know they would do the same for me! They walked into class and took their seats, laughing about this and that. Even though they were smiling at him, he could tell that they felt bad about the whole thing about him getting in trouble for standing up for them. He smiled back to show he does not blame them and focused back to the classroom. No matter what, I regret nothing!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“I told you girls, I was just really embarrassed, that’s it!” Applebloom and Scootaloo raised an eyebrow, unsure about her answer. They sat around in the school yard talking to each other about the events which occurred yesterday. They’ve been trying to get her to talk but she always gave them the same answer.

“Well for somepony being embarrassed, you ran off really fast,” explained Applebloom.

“That’s because I didn’t want Button Mash to see us,”

“Well he saw all of us, all because his big brother burned our cover,” Applebloom turned to Scootaloo.

“How did he even do that?! He is just an earth pony. Ah’ve never seen an earth pony do THAT before,” Scootaloo shrugged her shoulders.

“Beats me,” They all sighed in defeat, giving up on trying to figure out that great mystery. Sweetie Belle shifted uneasy in her spot.

“So what should we try next for a cutie mark? We kinda messed up our last one,” Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle thought about the question before them and tried to figure out what exactly to do next, all in their own little thinking poses.

“Well, we haven’t tried cave exploring yet,” Scootaloo offered, looking at her friends for a reaxtion with an unsure look.

“That’s true! How hard could cave exploring be?” Sweetie Belle added with an excited expression on her face, jumping up from her sitting position.

“Yeah! Ah bet that won’ be too hard. All we’d have to do is get a torch and get cave exploring hats and we’d be all set to go,” They all nodded with confident smiles spread across their faces. They got up and got ready for their usual jump into the air.

“CUTIE MARK-”

“Well if it isn’t the cutie mark losers! Planning on your next big fail?” They knew that voice better than they wanted to. They turned to see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon standing close to them, smirking harshly at them.

“Why do they even bother? It’s not like they will ever get their cutie marks at this rate!” Silver Spoon added with a small swing of her hips, glaring over at them as well with the same cocky smirk. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were a little hurt by their words but were fairly use to it by now.

“You know, we don’t care what you think. Your opinion doesn’t matter to us!” Scootaloo replied back, taking a firm step towards them. They only laughed in return.

“Aww, acting all tough, it’s almost cute. You are almost as pathetic as that other blank flank you hang out with,” Sweetie Belle glared fiercely at them, stepping past Scootaloo and leaning forward in a pouncing position.

“Leave him out of this!” They laughed even harder at that, making her cheeks flush.

“Wow, it’s like you actually like that loser. I guess worthless losers will always be with worthless losers,” Diamond Tiara stated with a cruel smile and an evil glare on her face.

“Hey, leave them alone!” All five of them turned towards the owner of the voice, Button Mash.

“Button Mash!” Sweetie Belle called out in surprise.

“Look who it is, blank flank number four! It looks like these losers just can’t stay away from each other,” Button Mash glared at Diamond Tiara, walking up to her. Sweetie Belle look over at Button Mash with a worried expression. Button! What are you doing? Silver Spoon leaned to the side towards her friend.

“What about that guard though, he told us to leave him alone,” Diamond Tiara smirked harshly at her friend and then to Button Mash.

“And do you see him around? No! Without his big, mean brother to fight his battles for him, he is nothing but a sad little colt. He is as worthless as the other blank flanks. Just a bunch of losers like-” They were cut short when they felt a sudden change in atmosphere.

Button Mash had his head lowered to the ground, the air was cold and thin around them all. He gritted his teeth and tensed his muscles. He was fighting his anger, a battle he was losing. The Cutie Mark Crusaders could tell. They took a step back to give him some space, unlike their classmates who simply watched unamused.

“Don’t you dare call them that!” He earned a laugh from the two cruel fillies that stood before him.

“What, blank flanks, or losers. Either one fits you guys perfectly. The only thing that-”

“ENOUGH!!” Button stomped a hoof into the ground, making a small crack into it and shook the ground slightly. He aimed his head at them with a fierce gaze that could scare off a hydra. The two young earth ponies instantly changed. Now they stood there, shaking.

“B-B-Button?” Sweetie Belle asked in a whisper, shaking as well. For the first time, she felt fear wash over her while looking at Button Mash, who could most likely scare off Princess Celestia herself!

“You better get out of here and leave my friends ALONE!!” They saw a dark, purple aura looming over Button Mash, smiling sinisterly at them. The two nodded and ran off like a manticore was hot on their tails.

Button Mash watched them intently as they ran off into the school house. Once they were out of sight he dropped the act and wiped off a bead of sweat, sighing in relief.

“Works every time!” He turned his attention to his friends with a friendly smile who have calmed down, but still a bit on edge. “Are you girls ok?” They looked at one another in disbelief and then Applebloom and Scootaloo turned back with an astonished smile on their faces, Sweetie Belle still held a shocked face, still in disbelief.

She blocked everything off, her heart slowly settling down. It pounded with in her chest, but for what reason? What reason could possibly do this to her. Ever since she started forgetting what her dreams were, she now felt nervous around him, maybe even shy.

“Oh no, it’s from one of my video games! I used the Glare of Lucifer on them. It produces an image of their emotions before their victim and scares them off, I’ve done it to them before,” She snapped back to what was happening around her.

“Yea, we heard all about it!” Applebloom replied with a smile, earning a cautious glance from her friends. Button Mash gave them a confused look.

“How did you guys know about it? You weren’t there,”

“We heard it from-” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle covered Applebloom's mouth. The last thing she wanted was for him to know that she was following him around that day as well.

“Around town! A pony saw you and you know how fast rumors spreads,” Button Mash thought that through for a second but nodded back. His eyes glazed over to her for just a second, their eyes meeting for a brief moment, but Sweetie Belle’s heart spiked within that split second.

“Button Mash, come here please!” Although please was at the end of the sentence, it did not sound welcoming, more like a demand. Button Mash turned around and saw Cheerilee and the two trouble making fillies right behind her, sticking their tongues out at him. He sighed and started making his way over, leaving his friends behind.

“Oh no, we got him in trouble!”

“He got in trouble because he was defending us. Ah’ll bet they made up something fierce!” Sweetie Belle glared over at Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon but her eyes rested softly on Button Mash. She shook her head roughly and looked back to her friends.

“That’s it! I think it’s time we repay him for helping us out like this. We should have him join the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” Her friends looked over shocked.

“But he’s a colt. Ah mean he is our friend and all but do ya’ll want a colt around with the stuff we do?”

“Well why not? What’s the big deal?” Sweetie Belle and Applebloom turned to Scootaloo, giving her their full attention. “I mean so what. He’s our friend, he’s cool, and he’s a blank flank just like us! So I think he more than deserves to be in it, he fits perfectly!” Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement, turning to Applebloom he smiled back.

“Well if ya’ll are good with it, then so am I!” They looked back, their cheerful smiles turned to sympathetic smiles. He turned back to glance over them, smiling back, then returned his attention to the original source.

“Then it’s settled. Button Mash is going to be a member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and he will join us on our cave exploring cutie mark, his very first journey!” They all smiled confidently, bumping hooves with each other. Once Cheerilee started heading back, the Cutie mark Crusaders followed suit, walking side by side with Button Mash into the school house.

They went inside and to their desks, laughing along with him like friends do. Sweetie Belle looked over at him with a determined smile. Tomorrow, Button Mash, we go out and grasp our cutie marks together! She giggled softly to herself at the thought, humming a lovely tune to herself.

“I’m over thinking things. Probably because he is a new friend or something. I’ll ask Rarity about it when I get back home,” Sweetie Belle smiled to herself as she planned out the quest for the cave exploring cutie mark in her head.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cheat Code laid on the roof of the school house, smiling to himself. He balanced an apple with the tip of his hoof, just staring at his reflection in it. He flipped the apple into the air and bit into it without grabbing it, taking a large bite and then spitting the rest out, placing it back onto the tip of his hoof with perfect balance.

“Remember why we sent you here,” A voice called out inside his head. He chuckled, throwing the apple up and catching it with the tip of his hoof again.

“Yeah yeah, I know. The only reason why my vacation request passed through Princess Celestia was so that I could push this little project of yours onto him. Why are you so interested in my little brother all of a sudden?” Cheat Code asked to himself, chewing his food. Silence surrounded him in return, waiting for the reply. He grinned, chuckling lightly to himself. He spun the apple on the tip and took another bite out of it, continuing the spin without slowing it down.

“He’s destiny should have been revealed long ago, but due to his lifestyle he has taken accustomed to, this life of video gaming and anti-socializiam has hidden his meaning in life from him. If he is to find his meaning, we must guide him to it,” Cheat Code chuckled, finishing off the apple.

“Yea he doesn’t care about that cutie mark bull crap, like me. Sure it’s cool to find out what your cutie mark is, but like me, he doesn’t go looking for it,”

“But you didn’t stay in your realm of imagination, he does. We must show him what he needs to see. You must be there to guide him properly or else he won’t find his cutie mark for another six years! We know you find no understanding in all of this, but it is indeed important to him, whether he knows it or not, and you as well,” Cheat Code rolled his eyes, making circles in the air with his hoof.

“Yeah yeah, I get it. I only agreed to this so that I can see him and you promised me that this will help him. Normally I only take orders from Princess Celestia, so I am not too keen on all of this. Especially after what you did,”

“We are sorry, but please trust us. We promise you that he will follow the path you wish him to be under. Little does he know that his path is almost set, we just need a little push,” Cheat Code laughed loudly to himself. “Keep it down, you are to not be spotted when out and about, remember?” He silenced himself, keeping it to a dull chuckle.

“Sorry, I just thought of something that could do just the trick!” Silence greeted him once more. He glared up at the sky and reached over to his saddle bag that laid next to him. He reached in and pulled out a small apple juice box, putting the straw in for a drink.

“What exactly do you have in mind,” Cheat Code grinned to himself, sipping on the juice box. “And why are you sipping from such a thing? That is a little pony’s drinking device,” He shook his head, rolling his eyes once again.

“Apple juice is the bomb! Me and Button Mash used to drink these things all the time!” He leaned over and fell off the edge on purpose, catching himself quietly on a beam with his tail. His eyes peering upside down inside the school, seeing Button Mash’s whole class. His eyes drifted off to Sweetie Belle and a deviant smile formed across his mouth. “And I believe I have just the thing to ‘push’ him in the direction you want. Just find a way to distract Princess Twilight Sparkle for about two hours for me. I’ll tell you when,”

“Normally we would demand you show respect and dare not order us around, but this once we shall comply. Give us the signal and we shall make our move,”

“Good, tomorrow we shall strike hard and swift! Ah it’s like I’m still on the field,”

“Technically you still are. This is a top secret mission that no pony can know about, especially your family,” Cheat Code waved his hoof in protest, launching himself back up onto the roof on all four without making a sound.

“I know. I just don’t like doing this behind his back,” He heard a soft giggle on the other side of his connection, reaching for a rubber ball in his saddle bag. He tossed the ball up in the air and kicked it back up into the air, keeping this up with out making any noise.

“I understand very well, just know that all will be revealed to him soon enough, but we can only guide him to the door, only he can open it and walk through it," Cheat Code nodded his head to that. “As of tonight, we shall begin our little plan. Operation: Button Cleanse is now officially a go!”

Author's Note:

Alright, I accidentally made this chapter longer than it should,but I doubt you guys will mind too much :rainbowwild: So here it is, I got a bunch of stuff to do next week so I can only sneak a little writing here and there but that is about it, sorry guys. So now we see that Cheat Code is not here for pleasure, but business. What exactly is "Operation: Button Cleanse"? Who will Button Mash react with being offered a place in the Cutie Mark Crusaders? Will he be as willing as they believe he will be? Who is working behind the scenes (besides me :rainbowwild: ) under all the cover? Will Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon ever give those poor ponies a break? (Gosh do I hate them so :twilightangry2: ) Let us see what the next chapter offers :raritywink: I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. I hope to see you all in the future chapters ahead. Have a great morning/day/evening. As always, bye bye for now :twilightsmile: