• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 1,540 Views, 13 Comments

Memories of Maud's Past - Inactive Profile 104



Pinkie Pie recollects on memories of Maud before the tragedy that changed her life happened.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,540

Memories of Maud's Past

Memories of Maud's Past

A Story by NottDotNet

April 14. Pinkie Pie trotted over to her room and quickly locked the door. Her room was full of balloons, party poppers, and confetti. It was not the time for her to play around with these; there were things to ponder about.

The party pony unlocked her bedside cabinet to procure a picture frame. It contained a photograph of her sister, Maud making rock candy necklaces. It was only three days after the photograph was taken when the disastrous event that changed her forever would happen.

|7 Years Ago|

“Be careful, Pinkie! You know what mother said, it’s landslide season!” called out Maud as she cautiously chased after her younger sister, wary of any loose earth and rocks which could start an avalanche.

“Hurry up! C’mon, Maud! My surprise is over here!” squealed the ecstatic Pinkie, bouncing on and around which could fall at any moment. She was as carefree and bubbly as she could be, especially now that she made a surprise for her sister’s birthday.

“Alright, alright.” Maud said as she picked up her pace. She didn’t have the slimmest idea of what Pinkie was dragging her into, but she knows she’s doing it to make her sister happy. It’s one of the little things that Maud takes pleasure in. “Why’d you drag me out here anyway? And where are we?”

“It’s a surprise! I can’t tell you, silly!” laughed the pink mare as she leapt across boulders, risking an avalanche. Her happy nature was a risk right now, but Pinkie was too cheery to notice. The rocks could fall at any moment if Pinkie wouldn’t keep still.

Soon enough, the rocks did start to fall. At first, only pebbles slid downwards. Soon, stones the size of hooves began their descent. The tremors foreshadowing the fall of the boulders didn’t take long to follow.

Pinkie was too busy bouncing around to notice, but Maud had taken notice ever since the first pebbles took motion. She carefully cantered her way to the mare who was bouncing her way to death. There simply was no stopping the pink mare.

Large shadows appeared on the mountain surface as the large boulders rolled down the ridge at dangerous speeds. Maud equally ran faster, breaking into a gallop. Her swift movements to dodge rocks were almost comparable to the Wonderbolts as she made her way to Pinkie who only now seemed to notice that rocks were rolling right at them.

Pinkie shrieked in fear and ran in random directions as boulders, pebbled and all came rushing down. An especially high screech sailed across the air as a huge boulder, double the size of a pony rumbled towards the petrified Pinkie.

Without a hint of hesitance, Maud lunged into the air and collided with the great stone, causing chunks to fly off. Once the dust settled, Pinkie was out of harm’s way. Same could not be said for her sister. She lay on the ground, seemingly lifeless. Wounds dotted her limp body. Another shriek escaped Pinkie. A cry for help to aid her sister who teetered over the edge of death.

In less than an hour, Maud was brought to a hospital. Her several wounds had been treated. She lay in the bed, comatose from the intense trauma her body endured.

“I’ve run some diagnostic spells on her. She’s stable now. It might take a while for her to regain consciousness.” stated Doctor Remedy as he reviewed the reports he produced from his saddle bags.

“However, she’s suffered a lot of damage... major head trauma, badly damaged larynx, and impaired facial muscle movement to name a few. As of now, there’s not much all of us can do but wait.” added the cyan unicorn. Sadness was evident in his tone.

“Is... is there anything else we need to know about what’s going to happen to our sweetheart?” asked the nervous Igneous Rock, trembling with fear as his daughter’s life hanged in the balance of her recovery.

“The effects of the damage are unclear right now. This may sound cliché, but only time can really tell the damage. I do expect her to have a monotonous voice when she wakes up because of the damage to her larynx. Also, her facial expressions may be limited to small smiles and frowns, and a slight change in psyche.” replied Doctor Remedy. “I offer my prayers for Maud to the Princesses.”

|*****|

It was all Pinkie remembered as tears silently slid down her face. She believed she was at fault for the tragedy. That she wasn't responsible enough to make sure her best sister friend's safety.

"I... I'm sorry, big sis..." Pinkie managed to whisper as she reflected on the guilt that burdened her for the years she's lived since that faithful day. Maud may have forgiven her, but she had not forgiven herself.

The telephone on her bedside table rang. Pinkie sniffed one last time before picking up the phone and speaking in her cheery voice.

Maud’s monotonous voice filled Pinkie’s ear.

"Pinkie, I know you're thinking about what happened a few years back. Don't blame yourself for it. It was a coincidence that there was an earthquake when you were taking me to the surprise.

"It's time to let go. Please, Pinkie. Do it for me."

"I don't think I can, Maud..." was Pinkie's answer as she trailed off into thought. There was no letting go for her.

She knew she had to live with it for as long as she lived. And Pinkie knew she had to do it to make up for what happened. "I'm sorry. Goodbye, sis. I love you."

And she put down the telephone, shutting herself out from the world until her tears had run out.

Author's Note:

Found here!

Comments ( 12 )

Oh. My. Good.
This is the best freaking story I've read in like, forever and a halfe! I do not see the mening of the tradgedy tag, it isn't that heavy....
And please update soon!

4100703
Eh, I'm not very oriented when I use tags. I go all chicken brains. And sorry, I won't be updating this fic because it's meant to be a stand-alone story. :fluttershysad:

Interesting take.
Once the doc started listing the damage the intent was clear.QQ
Poor Pinkie, no wonder she tried so hard to get her friends to like Maud.
She probably feels responsible for Maud's seeming inability to make friends on her own.

4103929
Ok, but please put it on complete then so that no more persons think i's incomplete... :fluttershysad:

Hmm, interesting take on Maud's lack of expression. And yay for pinoy bronies! :yay:

...Hm. That's one way of looking at her:pinkiesmile:

Nice work! It helps adds perspective to understanding Maud's character. It makes the whole concept of Maud's personality much more interesting when it turns out to be the result of an accident that Pinkie caused. I can also see Pinkie Pie harboring a deep guilt over this mistake that happened years ago and what happened to her sister because of it! Nice work! Hope to see more like it! :D

I always thought that Maud was a socially awkward person and the type who isolates herself from society.

Huh, now dis is an interesting headcannon.

Poor Maud.

I love reading your stories.

Login or register to comment