• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 21,098 Views, 1,150 Comments

Son of Invention - Zman537



What would you do, if your world inadvertently changed around you, and you were marked as a villain? Inventions are created by necessity, creativity, and chance. So an Invention was made in more ways than one.

  • ...
98
 1,150
 21,098

Airships and Guns

After I had finished talking with Steve and Ed, we had decided that as soon as possible we were to start searching for the fragments left behind by the Odin bomb’s explosion. If they had gone missing, something terrible might happen if they were to become active again because whoever had found them decided that they wanted to poke it just right. I chuckled as I walked to the front door and opened it. “It looks like my thieving days are going to be lasting a little bit longer. Especially if it turns out that the fragments are in a museum.” I let out a mirthful chuckle. “It probably is my luck that they will be by the time I find them.”

I turned to the left and headed up a slope that I had installed next to the entrance. I walked up to a small deck that had two paths leading up and around the cavern and stared up at the massive ship that was suspended above and before me. “It’s good to see that time treated her well.”

I started up the right set of stairs that lead to the platforms at the level of the deck itself. As I climbed, I stared at the beauty that was The Gilgamesh. My own, personally built airship. Modeled after the British Man-of-War, complete with a rotary system in place of the traditional mast, and a cargo bay for storage. While I had installed a massive drawbridge like door in the rear of the ship for said cargo bay, it was mainly for deploying the rest of my arsenal if need be via the rail launcher that was inside. I trekked up the stairs while examining the large vice-like braces holding her in place. They were a little rusty, but seemed well enough to be able to move. The ship itself was still in good condition visibly, but I doubted that it was completely unscathed.

Victoria and Boris both ran out of the house and up the slope leading to The Gilgamesh, interrupting my thoughts and making their way towards me. “Dad! Are we going on a road trip!?”

I chuckled and patted Boris on the head. “Yes, Boris, we are. and we’re taking everyone else too.” He cheered and ran onto the ship while Victoria stayed behind. “Vicky? Aren’t you going to head onboard?”

She looked up at me with a worried frown. “You’re going back to stealing again, aren’t you?”

I sighed and pulled her into a hug. “Only if I have to sweetie. You and I both know that we can’t let any of the parts that got scattered be used. Even with what I’ve seen from my time heading back here from Canterlot. I don’t think that this world is ready for that level of technology. Even after 1500 years of improvement. Someone’s bound to do their history when news that I’ve escaped gets out, and would try to gather the parts themselves.” I stood up and smiled. “So we’re going to do that before anyone else can.”


(Canterlot)

Twilight and the rest of the gang cantered out of the castle and started heading for the train. “Okay girls, if Invention needs something to work with, the first place he’d go would be the nearest town. Let’s head back to Ponyville and see if we can’t catch him in the act.” They all nodded accept for Applejack who was staring off in the distance. “Applejack what are you looking at?”

Applejack lifted a hoof and pointed towards the mountain range, causing the others to follow her gaze and their jaws to drop. What looked like large propellers started to lift over the top of the mountain, followed by a massive ship that rivaled most seafaring vessels by far in sheer size alone.

Rainbow shook her head and rubbed her eyes before gaping at the flying ship. “Is that an airship!?”

Pinkie grinned. “It’s like something out of Pony Fantasy IV!” Rainbow stared at her with a raised eyebrow. “What? It was a good book! And besides, how do you know it’s an airship Dashie?” Rainbow blushed lightly and looked around some before grumbling.

Rarity looked over the hull of the ship, seeing the larger details of the railing and engravings.that adorned the flying ship. “Such detailing... whoever made that ship was very skilled in their craft.”

Fluttershy was silent in awe as they all watched the ship start heading off into the distance. “Oh...my...”

Twilight’s eye twitched. “But.... that shouldn’t be scientifically possible! Celestia said he has no magic, therefore no way to fuel a ship period! The scientific community gave up on making airships that used a rotary system over a hundred years ago, because of how exhausting it was on the pegasi that were fueling the experiments! How is that even able to fly without a balloon!? What kind of a madman could build this!?”

Applejack tapped her on the shoulder as the ship started getting further away. “Ah think we have bigger problems right now Twilight. That ships gettin' away!”

Twilight snapped out of her mental lock and shook her head. “Quick! Back to the castle and get the guards! We might be able to catch him by chariot.” They all nodded and the six of them ran back to the castle yet again.

Rainbow stopped suddenly and looked at the ship as it started getting farther away. “Wait a sec, Couldn’t I just fly ahead and take this guy out?”


(The Gilgamesh)

Boris was smiling as he stood at the wheel of the airship. Even with Victoria yelling at him, he had a plan and was going to see it through. “Boris! What are you doing!?”

He grinned and the ship kept rising. “I’m flying the ship, duh. What does it look like I’m doing? Playing baseball?”

Victoria ran to the edge and pointed down. “Leaving Dad behind, that’s what!” Victoria began to pace around the deck lightly chewing on her fingers. “We’re going to be in so much trouble when he gets up here! What are you thinking!?”

Boris blew off his sister’s worry and waved a hand. “I know what I’m doing.”

Victoria glared at him and clenched her fists, waving them in the air as she shouted. “Oh? And what would that be? Trying to make Dad furious at the both of us!?”

Boris grinned and put a foot on a barrel next to him as he pointed up at the sky. “BEING A HERO!” Victoria stared at him for a moment before facepalming. Boris got off the barrel and kept driving the ship. “Think about it Vicky! If we manage to get all the parts for Dad, not only will we save the world, but we’ll make Dad proud!”

Victoria sighed and planted her head on the railing. “Oh..... We are in so much trouble it’s immeasurable...”


(Invention’s home)

I sighed as I watched The Gilgamesh take off. “I should have seen that coming.” I looked over at Steve and Ed and held out a hand. “The Flight Risks, please."

Ed ran inside and opened a cabinet before he pulled out a pair of boots that looked a lot like my regular pair. When he came back, I took mine off and traded him for the pair he brought. “Here you go Captain!”

I slipped them on and tapped my feet a few times, causing a burst of air to launch me an inch into the air and started hovering. “Thank you Ed. Now grab on and I’ll get us onboard before Boris crashes the ship.” They grabbed onto my arms and I increased the pressure being released from The Flight Risks. The three of us sped through the air towards the ship and caught up a while after it departed. We were over five thousand feet in the air, and probably a good ten miles away from Canterlot when we landed on the deck.

Boris jumped and fumbled with the wheel for a moment before grinning shakily and waving at me. “Um....hehehe. Hi Dad. I totally wasn’t taking The Gilgamesh to the far corners of the world on a quest to save it from possible disaster or anything. Nope. That’s definitely not what this is.” Victoria was laying on the ground next to some railing as she kept hitting her head on the wooded guard.

I chuckled as I rubbed my chin. “Oh? Is that so? Then what are you doing Boris?”

He looked down a little and rubbed the back of his head before looking back at me and shrugging. “Um... Checking the engine?”

I walked up to him, followed by Steve and put a hand on his shoulder. “Boris.” He twiddled his fingers a little and I smiled down at him. “While I know you had the best intentions in mind,” he looked up at me hopefully for a moment, “that doesn’t change the fact that you’re grounded for pulling this stunt.”

Boris’ face fell before he started heading downstairs. “It’s not fair...”

I looked over at Steve and sighed. “Steve, you take the wheel for a bit. I need to talk with him.” Steve nodded and took the wheel, steadying the ship into a hover over some forest. I headed down into the lower area of the ship after Boris. He’d gone into one of the rooms for guests and was sulking on the bed when I found him. He looked up at me as I opened the door before he started to glare at the floor.

I sat down next to him and put a hand on his shoulder. “Now Boris, why don’t you tell me what you were really doing, Hmm?” He mumbled a little and I leaned closer with a smile. “I’m sorry what was that?”

He mumbled a little louder. “I wanted to be a hero...” I felt my heart clench for a moment before sighing and pulling Boris into a hug.

I patted him on the back a few times before speaking. “I figured it’d be something like that.” I pulled him away and held him at arms length. “Boris, it’s good that you want that, but you need to think about much more than heroic feats if you want to be seen as a hero.” He looked at me in confusion as I continued. “I may seem like a hero to you and your sister, but I’m not. I’m just an inventor who tried to make sure that dangerous problems caused by his own foolishness didn’t get out of hand. I had to steal and fight sometimes to make absolute sure of that and that has made the world see me as a villain.”

I hugged him again. “Don’t follow my footsteps exactly Boris. Learn from them and find your own path to walk. I want the world to see you as Boris the kind. Not the evil son of Invention. Okay?”

Boris shook a little in my arms before speaking shakily. “O-okay...”

I stood up and looked down at Boris’ saddened face. “Now cheer up Boris. We’ve got some hunting to do.” I gave him a soft smile and ruffled his hair. “After all, while you may be grounded and I don’t want the world to paint a bad picture about you, your grounding doesn’t start until after we get home and no matter what you’ll still be my son.”

Boris smiled a little and started to follow me out of the room when Steve’s voice came through the radios in the room. “SIR! WE HAVE COMPANY!”

I scowled and grabbed the radio before clicking it on. “What is the situation Steve?”

The radio crackled for a moment. “We have chariots inbound! There’s also a lone blue pegasus heading our way at frightening speeds! She’s headed straight for the ship!”

I frowned and thought for a moment before clicking the radio on again. “Steve, tell Ed to activate the shield and send the Twins and some ammo to the deck. Put the ship on auto, and head downstairs. I’ll take care of any ponies who manage to get through the shield.”

I stepped into the hall and Boris tried following me. I put a hand on his shoulder and pushed him back into the room. “Boris, I need you to stay here below deck.”

“But-”

“No buts Boris. Stay below deck, and find Victoria. If any ponies make it down here, protect your sister.” Boris flinched but nodded his head and ran down the hall towards Victoria’s room.

I turned back to the stairs leading up and frowned. “My day only seems to keep getting better, and better. I wonder how long it will be before I have guards hanging posters for my head again.”

I got onto the deck and saw the wheel abandoned, but not moving. The ship had stopped to a hover with it on Auto, and I could see five gold dots and one blue one charging at me with a rainbow trail at what looked like Mach 1. Between me and them was a translucent blue shield originating from the center mast that was coursing with electricity. There was enough charge running through the shield to stun the average pegasus if they were to try and ram through.

The floor around my feet opened up and two pistols sprung out of the ground. I grabbed both and caught the twin bandoliers that came out after them. Each one was coated in a variety of crystal bullets that practically matched the rainbow shooting at me in variety, and each bullet glowed slightly. “Better use the Tranq shots. No need to kill anyone.” I pulled a couple Lapis bullets out and put them in the chambers of both pistols. I watched the blue pegasus come closer and could only sigh sadly at my situation.

My mind had begun to wander to The Sisters. “Why do you still fear me so? It’s not like I meant for any of that tragedy to happen. Why can’t you move on with the rest of the world and leave me be?”

Author's Note:

Ah it's finally done. Art of the Airship belongs to Adigitalartist at Devientart.

The Guns, Shoes, and crystal bullet, No idea. But to whoever did to them, Awesome work.