• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 21,079 Views, 1,150 Comments

Son of Invention - Zman537



What would you do, if your world inadvertently changed around you, and you were marked as a villain? Inventions are created by necessity, creativity, and chance. So an Invention was made in more ways than one.

  • ...
98
 1,150
 21,079

Sisters, Tea, and Books

(Invention: Invention’s Home: 1494 Years Ago)

Easy.

I could feel the sweat running down my face as I carefully moved the last piece needed for my latest project.

Easy...!

I had to do this just right, or the likelihood of my time spent on this was going to be for naught.

EASY....!

I was barely less than a centimeter when the door burst open and I jumped in shock. The piece I had been holding flew up into the air and I started to try and catch it. My panicked scrambling for the fragile piece soon were not able to catch it, but at least were enough to make it land where I had wanted it to be in the first place. Phew.....

I turned around to see Boris wincing a little before coming into the room. “Um... sorry about that Dad.”

I sighed and stood up, brushing off the dust from scrambling around my work area. “It’s alright Boris, what is it you need?”

Boris shuffled a little in place before looking up at me. “Um...Am I normal?”

I blinked a few times and actually had to lean back a little. “...What?”

“A-am I normal?” Boris started rubbing one of his arms and looked down. “I mean... I’ve never seen you or Robin have repairs, and you both have to eat stuff a-all the time... a-and you both h-have to sleep more often...” Boris’s body was trembling in place as he almost started to ramble on about the differences between him and any other biological being. It tore at my heart seeing him like that. Not if I have anything to say about it.

I put a hand on his shoulder and lifted his chin. “Boris, look at me.” Boris tried to look away, but I pulled his chin back towards me. “Look at me Boris.” He hesitantly looked up into my eyes and I smiled down at him calmly. “You shouldn’t have to worry about being normal Boris. Not at all.”

“B-but...”

I put a finger over his mouth, cutting off his reply “No buts Boris.” I knelt down to look him in the eye. “The reason I say you shouldn’t worry, is because what is considered ‘normal’ is purely relative to who you ask. If you feel that you’re normal, then you are.” I stood up and picked up a reactor I’d been tinkering with from the workbench, leading Boris with me towards a secluded corner of the room. “But sometimes... It does help to have someone else to compare to. So~” I pulled a large cloth was covering up the project I’d been working on and Boris gasped. “I thought you’d like someone to talk to other than grumpy Steve and scatterbrained Ed when Robin and I are out.”

I plugged the reactor into the body and the florescent blue crystal and various platonic shapes etched into the sides started to shine brightly as I closed the cover that lead to it. The robotic machine stood up from the stand it had been resting on and looked around before spotting me and Boris and blankly looking at the both of us.

I looked at Boris and smiled. “Boris,” I waved a hand to the robot that had gotten up, “meet your new sister Victoria.”

Boris smiled and looked up at me with pure joy in his eyes. “I have a sister!?”

I leaned down and smiled back, copying his enthusiasm. “You do now!” In all the excitement, I almost didn’t notice Robin standing in the doorway with a small tear in her eye. She gave me a brief nod before heading into the main room and out of sight.

I looked over at Boris and raised a finger. “Now remember Boris, she’s awake for the first time ever, so don’t overwhelm her. Her mind isn’t fully intact yet, so call her by her name when you talk to her and treat her like you would anyone else, and it will start helping her develop a personality in no time. Once that’s done, I’ll start applying the PRS gel.”

Boris nodded enthusiastically and began to try and start a conversation with the newly “born” Victoria. I smiled a little at the scene and slowly made my way to the door. When I got to the kitchen, I found Robin looking at me with a small smile. “That was quite a feat you’ve performed, and all in the name of kindness for one you consider your child.”

I smiled and looked over at the doorway to my workshop, the same place Boris was first given a voice of his own. “I’d do anything for that boy. He may not be made of flesh and blood, but he’s my child in spirit. Literally I might add, considering I finally figured out how he came to life in the first place.”

Robin perked up and looked over at me. “Really? Then you wouldn’t mind enlightening us of how that happened, would you?”

I laughed a little and poked the side of my head a few times. “He absorbed a small portion of my consciousness when he was just a crystal. It was small enough that it didn’t have a majority of my genetic quirks in it, but enough was pulled from me that it started to grow and form its own personality.” Even if he’s acting like I did when I was nine. Hmmmm..... maybe this is what my dad felt like when I was terrorizing the household? If so, I’m not entirely sure I should apologize or not. That is if I ever see him again.

It was true too. When all that knowledge had poured into my mind about five years ago, one of the pieces that stood out is how a living being gained it’s sapience. Pieces of both the mother’s and father’s consciousness, or ‘soul’ as most call it, are attached to the genetic material from the parents forming the two halves of a Duality. When the separate pieces combine, they forge a singular Unity consciousness from the Duality. While gender is normally determined by the genetic material in both pieces on the level of matter, the personality is formed from the Duality of the consciousness’s original fragments and the environment. Depending on which parent gave the larger piece, the personality would sway over to that side while not quite going all the way there.

Which reminds me...

I poked Robin’s nose and caused her to blink rapidly and scrunch her face. “Of course, he also pulled a little bit from you as well, otherwise it wouldn’t have worked at all, but the majority was from me.”

Robin raised an eyebrow and giggled. “So what doth that entail? Doth this make me his mother?” We both shared a laugh at that, not out of malice but from the irony. Boris never really saw Robin as a mom, and always thought of her as the, and I quote, “Super Cool Awesome Spectacular Aunt of Super Awesomeness”. SCASASA for short as he frequently reminds us.

“I don’t think so, but I don’t know what Victoria will be thinking of you as. She’s only just been given free thought now that I’ve finally figured out the patterns needed to create the base of a free thinking consciousness from a mana crystal.” Which goes against almost EVERY law of roboethics there is, and probably several magical laws as well. I sighed and smiled at nothing as I closed my eyes and relaxed in the chair. Not that I give a flying fadoodle about those anymore. Life’s too short to worry about rules and boundaries. “It’s good having you here Robin.”

Robin sat down next to me and rested her head on my lap. “Tis good to be here, Invention. I know not where I’d be right now t'were not for you.”

I reached down and scratched behind her ears, making her hum in pleasure. It was a silly little quirk that ponies seem to have. “You know, if it weren’t for you, I’d probably be six feet under right now, and still ignorant of everything about ponies.” I chuckled a little and poked her nose. “You have no idea how weirded out I was when I learned that Unicorns and Pegasi could eat meat, and that Pegasi practically need to.” Good thing they don't. That'd be terrifying.

Robin laughed and looked over at the workshop as well. “Thou face was priceless.”

I laughed as well before smiling wider than I’d been able too for a long time. “And it also seems that you’re picking up my speaking habits too, have I rubbed off that much?.” She jabbed my ribs slightly with her horn and I laughed despite the pain. “Ow! Okay, I get it! I get it!”


(Jenny: Golden Oaks Library: Present Day)

Jenny felt a small wave of Deja Vu as she found herself sitting on the same couch drinking tea again. Only this time with two extra guests into the party. Thankfully, Celestia had changed out of her battle armor and was wearing her normal regala again, having sent the armor back to Canterlot magically.

“So Ms. Eriman,” Celestia started with a small sip of tea, “could you please explain to us your situation?”

Jenny nodded. “C-certainly. I was preparing for a party that was supposed to be on Halloween. Since it was a costume party, I had decided to dress up as a character from a game I liked as a kid.” She lifted her eye cover, showing her right eye. She put it back as she picked up her tea from the table. “I was shopping with my brother when he bought me the sword that’s currently over there by Twilight’s desk. It was supposed to be a prop, but when I picked it up, I fell through a hole in the ground and ended up in here.”

Luna took a sip of her own tea. “A dimensional field spell. They are a very rare occurrence to come across.”

Jenny looked over in confusion as she put down her cup and looked at Luna. “Dimensional what now?”

Luna smiled a little as she looked into her tea. “I believe that during one of my encounters with Invention, he explained how they worked. He compared dimensions to a type of musical instrument. A piano, I think.”

Jenny raised an eyebrow at this before looking at Luna in disbelief. “A... piano? He compared the possible ways to travel dimensions... with a piano?”

Twilight perked up and looked over to one of the shelves. “That’s actually sounds like a theory I’ve heard of.” A small green book with a gem in the front floated over before she put it down on the table. “According to the author Resonant Tone’s theories, everything in the universe is supposedly made from vibrations and wavelengths. That every sight we see and sound we hear is a product of those wavelengths, and even the thought of solid ground is just an illusion.” Twilight frowned slightly as she looked over at Luna. “I thought they were just that though. Theories. Nopony has ever been able to prove them right.”

Luna smiled a little. “That’s right, no pony has proven the theories. But Invention is no pony. He did more than just prove them, as he also explained during the following lecture the very structure of the universe as well.” Luna took another sip before sighing and rubbing the side of her head. “It was as if my head was going to leave my neck when he finished.” She looked over at Jenny and smiled. “But that shall be a discussion for another time. I’m sure that Ms. Eriman has questions for us, no?”

Jenny nodded before she looked at Celestia. “Princess. When you arrived earlier, it looked like you were ready to take on an entire army on your own. I know that you said that Invention had killed a million, but doesn’t that seem like a bit of an exagger-”

Celestia set down her cup with a small clank, cutting off Jenny. “I meant just that. His actions intentionally lead to the death of a million of my subjects all those years ago.” She sighed before continuing. “The destruction was something out of nightmares. A large metallic beast burst from beneath Canterlot’s mountains and began rampaging through the country. We tried to subdue the monster, but all our attempts were futile as our weapons simply left scratches and our magic bounced off. More so, every encounter, Invention was present, following the beast constantly.” She took a sip of tea before scowling. “Eventually, he assaulted the beast himself. When the battle had ended, he had left a blue sphere of sorts in it’s chest and returned to his ship. Not a moment later, I saw him pull out a small trigger, and detonated the sphere he had planted in the monster.”

Jenny raised an eyebrow and looked at Celestia. “Wait... that sounds more like he was trying to stop the machine, not kill anyone.”

Celestia scowled again and set her cup down. “When he detonated that sphere, the explosion covered over half of Equestria with a shockwave of magical fallout. The saturated magics poisoned the land, and few ponies that didn’t die immediately were blinded by the explosion. The death toll was over one million by the end of the week, and that was before illness claimed more in the after years.” Luna was looking down at her tea sadly and Twilight was rendered speechless.

Jenny was staring at Celestia with her jaw hanging open. “He nuked the place... There’s no possible way that the damage wasn’t intentional if that happened. Anyone who had taken a World History class would have realized just how devastating it would be if a bomb that size went off.”

Twilight looked over at Jenny and trotted a little closer. “History class.... are you saying that in the past, humans did that kind of devastation to themselves?

Jenny nodded. “That’s right. Humans aren’t as peaceful as you’ve told me ponies are Twilight. We’ve been at war with each other more times than I can count, but two of them were so large they were dubbed World Wars. It was during World War II that scientists were able to make the Atom Bomb.” Jenny rubbed her chin and looked up. “Or at least.... I think that’s when it was made. I’m probably wrong on that date. Besides, it’s not like humanity only focuses on war. We’ve made several other things to benefit our kind.”

Celestia looked over at Jenny in concern. “But that leaves the point that your kind are able to build these ‘Atom Bomb’s in the past.”

Jenny nodded. “Yeah, but normally it takes a lot of people and time to make even one, and even then the process is dangerous to begin with without the proper tools. Atom Bombs aren’t even made anymore, and any that still are around are collected and detonated away from cities and civilization, to make sure that nobody gets harmed.” Jenny took small drink from her tea and sighed. “The one time one was ever detonated on a city was to retaliate against the Japanese after they had attacked the USA. They were deemed too dangerous after the war ended.” Jenny looked over at Celestia. “Getting back to Invention, there’s one... okay several things, that confuse me. How were you able to watch something so devastatingly bright? Atom bombs cause the explosion by splitting an atom upon impact or something to that effect. The light emitted is bright enough to blind anyone who looks at it. That’s when it covers a city alone, not an entire country.”

Celestia frowned and looked at Luna. “It took both of us making a barrier between us and the explosion. Even then, we were looking away at the time upon reflex and were burned from the light alone. The barrier shattered the moment the shockwave hit.”

Twilight furrowed her brow as she looked at Luna. “Wait. Princess Luna, you described Invention to just be a thief. If you were there, why didn’t you tell us he was capable of this?”

Luna sighed before looking at Twilight. “Because I didn’t want to believe that Invention was truly that cruel.” She looked into her tea and sighed. “He was the first to appreciate our nights, and to tell us how beautiful they were. That’s why I told you and your friends that my opinion was biased. Even when he was a petty thief, whenever we had an encounter he would treat me as a friend, and not just a royal to please.”

Celestia put a wing over her sister as she frowned. “Luna, as I have told you, we can no longer trust him. He may have once been a friend, but he chose the path of darkness. Thinking of the “what if” won’t change him any more than The Elements could.”

Twilight looked away from Luna and back towards Celestia. “Is that how he was encased in stone?”

Jenny was busy looking between all three of them before awkwardly raising a hand. “Um... a little lost in what’s being talked about.”

Twilight looked over to Jenny. “You remember how I said that Princess Luna was purified from Nightmare Moon when we used The Elements on her?” Jenny nodded and Twilight continued. “That was more or less a one time thing. When the elements are used on a spirit or entity that hasn’t strived from it’s original nature, it is normally imprisoned in stone.”

Jenny leaned back a little and looked at Twilight in disbelief. Before she could say anything though, there was a knock on the door. She stood up and looked over to Twilight, putting a hand on Twilight’s shoulder before smiling. “I’ll get it.” After she walked over to the door and pulled it open, Jenny jumped a little. Rarity’s mane was disheveled and she was panting slightly. “Um.... you’re Rarity, right?”

Rarity trotted into the library before looking at Twilight. “Twilight... Invention... Sweetie Belle...” The lavender unicorn tried calming her friend down before She could speak again. “Thank you darling. I needed that.”

Twilight lead her over to the tea that was on the small coffee table before levitating her own. “It’s no problem Rarity, now what’s going on? You of all ponies wouldn’t show up like that unless there was an emergency.”

Rarity took a few deep breaths before she realized that Celestia and Luna were present as well. “Oh my! I’m dreadfully sorry if I interrupted anything.”

Luna raised a hoof and kept her from bowing. “It does not trouble us Rarity. Now what matter brings you here?” Rarity fidgeted in place while looking at her hooves before nervously looking up at both royals.


(Invention: The Gilgamesh)

I pulled up next to the ship and sighed. “This is going to be more trouble than it’s worth.” Steve and Ed ran over to where I was and I waved a hand to silence their questions. “I’ll explain how everything went inside.” A quick glance at the horizon, taking note of how the sun was much closer to the tree covered horizon than earlier. “Let’s just get inside and rest. Tomorrow, I want to see if we can gather some wood from that forest over there. Then we can figure out of the gaia hammers are functional so we can mine some ore.” I took off my hat and shook it some, causing some pollen to get knocked off. “Could you believe that there was not even one blacksmith in that town?”

Suddenly the sun violently shook as a shout rang out through the air. “WHAAAAAAT!?

As soon as the sound dissipated, I walked a few steps to my right and picked up my hat from the ground. “I have absolutely no idea what that was about.”

Boris stuck his head out of one of the windows and looked down at me. “Dad, what the heck was that?” Victoria looked out her window as well towards the sun.

I waved a hand and started heading inside. “Nothing Boris. Just head inside and get into bed. We’ve got work to do tomorrow.”

Boris pouted and held out.... gauntlets? “But I found these cool gloves in my room! Can’t I see what they do?”

Victoria just looked at him before cocking her head to the side. “Where did you even find those?

I shook my head as I groaned and put a hand on my temples. “Boris, we can see what those do tomorrow. For now, go to bed. You too Victoria.” Boris reluctantly nodded and got out of the window as Victoria just shrugged and headed back into hers. I looked over at Steve and Ed before nodding at the ship. “You two as well. Head to your pods and give your minds some rest. Moving for a full twelve hours with no maintenance whatsoever is more than likely going to have damaged something on your bodies as well if what happened to the ship is any indicator.” I pointed to each of them. “Do either of you have any issues to address?”

Ed nodded and rolled his arm, causing a loud creak. “Yeah, my right arm’s been a little stiff when I was cutting out the extra crystal. Right leg too. Didn’t keep me from finishing though.”

I nodded and looked at Steve. “And what about you? Any joint issues?”

Steve shook his head and raised an arm. “Negative sir. My joints are fully functional.” He pried a little at one of the panels on his left arm and it opened with a loud bang. “But my storage compartments are refusing to open. It made cooking a little hard to accomplish.”

I grimaced a bit before looking at his arm closer. The panels, even in the preservation pods, had rusted shut and a few hinges had broke completely but were stuck in place. “I see.” I tapped my chin as we got inside before looking at them. “Okay here’s the plan. Tomorrow, I’ll fix Steve’s arms and then go cut some lumber. Meanwhile, Ed, see if you can bend any of the metal on the reactor back into place so I can see just how much metal ore we’ll need at a minimum. Also, don’t let Boris or Victoria leave the ship. I do not want a repeat of today. Understand? Boris could have brought something much worse than three curious fillies back here.”

Ed rubbed the back of his head and flinched. “Sorry Capt’n... They just looked so bored sitting around on the ship.”

I sighed in exasperation at the response, but in all honesty, I could also see Ed doing what he did and the kids being bored out of their minds. “Then it’s a good thing I brought some books back with me. It should help them pass the time.”

Steve and Ed nodded and turned down the hall, heading for the rooms towards the back of the ship. “Alright sir, sleep well.”

I waved a hand as I headed for my study. “You too Steve.”

A moment later I was in my study. It wasn’t as grandiose as my workshop when it came to size, but even with how small the room was it still held it’s elegance with the old time furniture. Even if it was all rotting away or broken, you could see just how masterful it was meant to look. The drapes were gone completely, and my bookshelves were almost in a similar situation. If not for Victoria managing everything for the past millenium and a half, they would be completely gone. Any remnants of the books were simply gone to time, but the books I had pilfered had been placed on the last of the shelves with the gems and makeshift satchel on the floor next to it.

I walked over to where the bed once was, and sighed at the sight of rotted wood and rusty springs. “I guess I’m sleeping on the floor.” I glanced at the bookcase again and chuckled. “But first, some light reading.” I took off my jacket and laid it on the floor where there was little debris and grabbed the book on the world’s history. “Time for a history lesson.”

Author's Note:

And here is the next Chapter! Some more backstory, Tea with princesses, a freakout of the ages, and sleep.