• Published 20th Jan 2014
  • 3,774 Views, 132 Comments

The Misadventures of Osaka Jones - RabidTonberry



Meet Osaka Jones a Human turned colorful pony that fell out of the sky into Equestria. Now he's stuck in a world where the strongest drink is cider...

  • ...
19
 132
 3,774

I've Had Worse Dates

I sighed and continued to preen my feathers. It had been a week since I had been released from the hospital for alcohol poisoning. The days that followed after that were nothing but a hassle of a needless affair, at least to my view. Everypony had come to visit me after I was released and expressed how worried they were after I passed out. Even Surprise had stopped by to see if I was alright before going back to whatever realm she had come from. The day after that though, Twilight took it upon herself to lecture me on the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption. It was a four day course. At least she didn’t try to pry into why I had freaked out at the party; I think I have Rainbow to thank for that. Speaking of Rainbow she had basically watched me like a hawk all week. I swear I even saw her spying on me when I was out in town the other day when she was supposed to be at work. It was kind of unnerving to be honest. At least Scootaloo had been acting normal, although she did insist on sleeping with me for the first two nights I was back home.

I grunted and pulled out a broken feather. I spit it out and inspected my work. All my feathers were neatly aligned and cleaned. I nodded in satisfaction and put my wings back against my sides. I looked into the bathroom mirror and gave myself a once over. My mane was brushed back into a semblance of control over it, my feathers were all preened and presentable, and I’d even gotten all the knots out of my tail. The only thing I frowned at were the bags underneath my eyes. Ever since my little freak out I’ve been waking up every night in a cold sweat. I freaked out Scootaloo so bad the first time it happened that she woke up Rainbow Dash. They wanted to know if I had a nightmare. When I told them that I couldn’t recall what woke me up they only gave me worried frowns. It took an hour of reassuring them I was alright before they had let me go back to sleep…I made sure not to startle them awake when it happened again the next day… and the day after that. Content with the way I looked I exited the bathroom and headed down the stairs to find Scootaloo eagerly waiting for me.

“Looking good Osaka,” she wolf whistled at me.

I chuckled, “Thanks Scoots; you all packed for your sleepover?”

“Yup,” she replied patting a knapsack that sat by her side. “You ready for your date with Rainbow Dash?”

I sighed, “As ready as I’m going to be,” I said trying to give her a confident smirk.

I landed down in front of the Apple Family barn. Scootaloo jumped off my back and gave me hug before she bounded off to find her friends at their clubhouse deep within the orchard. I watched her go before she weaved behind a tree out of my sight. I smiled and turned around to begin taking off, but I jumped back in surprise instead when I encountered Applejack silently standing behind me.

“Howdy OJ, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to startle you there,” she laughed.

“It’s cool Applejack. So what’s up?”

“Not much just finishing up some chores. You just drop off Scootaloo?”

“Yeah, she just rushed off to meet Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.”

Applejack chuckled, “Oh boy, I have a feeling Mac and I are going to have our hooves full tonight.”

I chuckled as well, “Yea, thanks again for watching her tonight so Rainbow and I can… you know.”

“Have a nice romantic dinner alone together,” she said smirking at me.

I blushed under her gaze, “Yeah that.”

Applejack laughed, “Oh relax OJ I’m just teasing you. Are you and Rainbow going anywhere special?”

“Nah we’re just going to the café for dinner; trying to keep it simple. After that… well who knows,” I shrugged.

Applejack nodded her head on understanding. “Now Osaka I think it’s only fair warning to tell you that if you hurt her in anyway. You’re going to have to deal with me and the other girls,” she said with a serious glare aimed in my direction.

I rolled my eyes at her, “I figured you would say something like that. Don’t worry I don’t plan on hurting any pony,” I replied.

“I know you don’t but it’s something I got to say because I’m her friend,” she said giving me a smile. She eyed me up in down, “Looks like you even cleaned up a bit for her. Although I think you should mess up your mane a bit. It doesn’t look natural for you to have it all combed out straight,” she said reaching a hoof out and ruffling up my mane.

“You know how long it took me to do that?” I groaned.

“Oh hush,” she said withdrawing her hoof. She paused in her actions when she got a good look at my face. “You feeling alright there Osaka? You look a little tired there.”

“Yeah I’m fine. Just had hard time sleeping this week. I keep waking up at random times during the night. That’s all.”

“Bad dreams?”

I shrugged, “If they are I can’t remember any of them. But don’t worry Applejack I’ll be fine. I’m sure it’s just lingering stress from the past week.”

“Alright then, well I’ve kept you long enough, say hi to Rainbow for me.”

“Will do AJ,” I said walking off, spreading my wings preparing to take off. “Later Applejack,” and with that I took off.

Not much later I landed outside of Ponyville's local café; Café Neigh. It was a nice enough evening for them to have the patio open. Several other ponies took the café up on its offer to eat outside. A vast majority of the tables were filled with couples, friends, families all eating a meal together. I swallowed easing my throat that had suddenly gone dry.

My ears perked up as I heard another pony land behind me. I looked behind and saw Rainbow Dash folding in her wings as she walked up to me. I smiled.

She smiled back at me, “Hey Osaka, been waiting long?”

“Nah, I just got here myself.”

“Sweet, come on lets grab a table on the patio.”

“Lead the way,” I replied.

She smirked at me and flanked checked me. “We’re not even a couple yet and you already know what to say to make me happy,” she teased giving me a wink before walking off.

I chuckled as I followed here to an empty table off in the corner of the patio. As soon as we sat a waiter came by and passed us some menus. He told us he would be back to take our drink order before walking off and tending to another table. I turned to Rainbow and took in her appearance. She looked like she always did; which was good since we decided to keep this causal. Her rainbow mane was swept back and in disarray due to her constant flying. Her rose colored eyes were bright and beautiful. Her face was flushed red, she was blushing hard. Probably because I had just been sitting there staring at her and not saying a word.

I cleared my throat, “Sorry, got lost in thought for a minute there.”

“It..It’s cool,” she stuttered. “So how was your day?” she asked trying to divert attention to her face.

I shrugged, “Pretty uneventful. Slept in, picked up Scoots from school, chilled around the house for a while before dropping her off at AJ’s and coming here.”

“How long did you sleep in? You were still passed out when I took Scootaloo to school this morning. You’re usually up by then.”

“Like, around one,” I said looking away and scratching the back of my neck.

“You slept in till one in the afternoon?” she asked in disbelief.

“Well more like 1:40 in the afternoon,” I chuckled nervously.

“You woke up twenty minutes before you had to pick up Scoots from school,” she sighed, “Are you still having trouble sleeping Osaka?” she asked concerned.

I diverted my gaze, “maybe,” I mumbled.

“Osaka,” she sighed again. “If this is still going on once the weekend is over will you promise me that you’ll visit Dr. Stable and see if he can give you anything to help,” she told me in a tone that echoed don’t even try to argue with me about this.

I relented, “I promise,” I said flashing a smile.

“Good, the last thing I need is to begin worrying about you passing out from exhaustion while flying because you haven’t been getting enough sleep,” she said giving me a smirk as she opened up her menu.

I rolled my eyes at her and opened my menu as well. “Who do you think I am, Twilight?” I muttered.

Rainbow snorted in amusement.

The waiter had just brought us our drinks, a hard cider for Rainbow and just water for me. We were in the middle of some meaningless small talk when a voice I was deeply familiar with issued forth from behind me, “Osaka is that you?” I looked behind me and saw the golden misaligned eyes of Ditzy Derpy Hooves staring at me from across the patio. I faintly smiled and softly waved at her. She took this as me telling her to come over.

“Oh, Osaka I’m so glad you’re okay Turner and I tried to come visit at the hops-” she stopped once she reached the table and noticed Rainbow. She smiled, “Well hello to you as well Rainbow.” She cocked her head to the side and looked to me then the Rainbow then back to me again. “Are you two on a date?” she asked smiling.

I didn’t answer as I felt a blush forming on my cheeks. I glanced at Rainbow and saw her blushing hard.

“Oh my, you are!” she squealed. “That’s so cu-” she was cut off by an approaching brown stallion.

“Ah there you are Derpy. I was just told that our table is ready,” Time Turner told the grey mare approaching us. “Oh Osaka, and Rainbow as well! A pleasant evening to you two,” he said once he noticed us at the table. “Derpy and I were so happy to hear you were alright after that nasty business with that crazy white Pegasus. You know you should stop by for ‘dinner’ again sometime,” he said secretly wrapping his tail around my own underneath the table.

If I wasn’t blushing hard before I certainly was now.

“Turner, they’re in the middle of a date. Now’s not really the time to invite Osaka to ‘dinner’.” Derpy said as she wrapped her tail around mine as well.

My face was on fire.

“Hmm a date you say,” He mused for a minute before smirking at his marefriend, “Maybe we should invite then both for ‘dinner’ then.

My face was an inferno and from the looks of it Derpy’s face was quickly approaching that level as well. “Turner!” she squeaked.

Time Turner just continued to smirk at her.

Derpy huffed, “Will discuss this later. Now come on the hostess must be wondering where we are,” she disengaged her tail from me and walked off.

Time Turner unraveled his tail as well and wished Rainbow and I good luck on our date before rushing off after his mare.

I let out a deep sigh and downed my glass of water. I was silently wishing I had gotten something stronger when I noticed that Rainbow was looking at me with a confused look upon her face.

“So… what was that about?” she asked.

“Oh nothing really we just got propositioned for a foursome that’s all,” I nervously chuckled out.

Rainbows eyes widened and her wings fidgeted slightly, “You’re kidding.”

I shook my head, “Nope they like to invite ponies over for dinner and then have fun with them. If they’re cool with it of course,” I quickly added at the end.

“Wait a minute, they invited you to dinner a few weeks back,” she said pointing an accusing hoof in my direction; her eyes widening again.

My eyes opened wide and a failed my hooves defensively in front of me. “In my defense I wasn’t fully aware that you were interested in me yet and I hadn’t gotten my feelings about you in order yet.”

“Oh chill out Osaka. I’m not mad. I’m just trying to figure out how it went down. Did Turner just watch or something?” she asked sincerely cocking her head to the side, a mischievous grin on her face.

“Not exactly…”

“So you guys ran a train on Derpy? That’s pretty hot.”

I shrugged, “It was more like they ran a train on me to be honest.”

Rainbow gave me an odd look, “You mean Turner stuck his…” she trailed off.

“Dick up my ass? Yes yes he did.”

Rainbow’s jaw dropped and her wings got half way extended before she was able to compose herself. “That’s pretty hot,” she said clearing her throat, “also explains where you got the idea for that short story you got published in PlayColt.”

“You read PlayColt,” I smirked.

Rainbow blushed, “Well yeah especially when one of my friends gets a story published in it.”

“Is that the only reason?” I teased wiggling my eyebrows.

Rainbow answered with a swift kick to my leg under the table. “Quiet you,” she said with a hint of a smile.

I smiled at the waiter and mouthed a, “Thank you,” to him as he placed my plate in front of me. I had ordered their house special, a medium well done hayburger with all the fixings. Rainbow had decided to keep it simple and ordered the houses pasta salad. We sat enjoying our meals and passing our time with ideal chit chat. We were about halfway done with our meal before Rainbow brought up the one thing I had been dreading this night.

“So about what happened at the party,” she began.

I sighed and looked away.

“I know you don’t want to talk about it but I’m worried about you Osaka and if we want this thing between us to work Osaka, you need to open,” she continued.

But I wasn’t listening. I was fixated on a table not too far from us. A grey unicorn stallion was sitting with a black Pegasus mare, and sitting between them was small white Pegasus foal in a highchair. They looked happy. I couldn’t hear what that we were saying, but judging by their expressions I assumed it was something good. The stallion ruffled his kid’s mane and the foal cooed in happiness while the mare looked on with a huge grin on her face. “I used to be married,” I finally said speaking up while I continued to stare at the happy family.

“Huh,” Rainbow squeaked.

I tore my gaze from the other table and looked at Rainbow, “I was married. I had a wife, also a kid...daughter to be exact.”

She diverted her gaze and looked at the table. “What do you mean by was?” she asked clearly uncomfortable, I didn’t blame her. I was too.

“They died,” I said eyeing my glass of water. My mouth felt dry, but the water wasn’t what I wanted to quench my thirst with. “There was an accident,” I sighed grabbing the water anyway and taking a drink.

“What kind of accident?” she asked her ears splayed back and wings hanging limply on her sides. A look of shock and sadness on her face.

I chocked back a sob that I didn’t even know was coming. Rainbow gave me a concerned look and was about to leave her seat to come to my side but I waved her off and she sat back down. I took a deep breath and let it out before continuing. “There was a,” I paused to think how to best phrase it, “…a chariot accident. A larger chariot lost control and slammed into the one they were in. My wife Elizabeth got the better end of the deal. She died upon the impact. The doctors told me she went with little pain.”

“And your daughter?”

“The chariot caught on fire… they couldn’t get her out in time….” I stopped and looked down at the table closing my eyes.

Rainbow was silent.

I jumped in my seat when I felt her drape a wing around me. I looked over and saw that she had scooted her seat next to me. She softly smiled and patted my back, “Its okay Osaka you don’t have to say anymore,” she softly said.

“No, you deserve to know. You’ve been nothing but kind and patient with me,” I said giving her a small smile even though I was on the verge of breaking down. I sighed, “The night of the party I started…I started to hallucinate. I don’t know if it was because of stress, maybe someone slipped something into my drink, or maybe I had drank more than I thought I did. All I know is I started to hear them…and see them.”

“When you say see them do you mean… where they…” she trailed off.

“They looked exactly the same as the last time I saw them…”

Rainbow said nothing she just tightened her wing around me.

“In all honesty I probably could have handled the situation better,” I darkly chuckled, “I really need to repay Twilight for taking care of the repair cost of the bars window.”

Rainbow continued to say nothing she just sat there processing what I had just told her. Eventually she reached over and pulled her plate over to her and resumed eating. I followed suit and did the same. I just resumed eating my burger when I felt Rainbow’s tail wrap around mine. I looked over at her, but she didn’t say anything. She just lightly blushed as she once again tightened the wing she had around me. For the rest of our meal we sat in silence.

“Thanks for sharing that with me.”

My ears perked up and I looked over at Rainbow. We were currently slowly soaring above Ponyville heading back home. Rainbow had been mostly silent once I had told her about my past. I couldn’t tell if that was good or not at the moment.

“I know that must have been hard for you, I really appreciate it,” she continued flashing me a sincere smile.

I looked away. In the distance I saw the house coming into view. “Does this… does this change anything with us?” I asked hesitantly.

Rainbow answered my question by darting quickly in and kissing my cheek. “This doesn’t change a thing Osaka,” she said drifting back to flying by my side. “But I will tell you don’t be expecting to be sleeping in my bed tonight. I’m not as easy as Derpy and Time Turner you’re going to have to at least take me on another date first,” she teased giving me a wink.

I chuckled at her, “Fair enough,” I said as we both touched down outside of the cloud house. Rainbow went and opened the door. “Home sweet home,” I muttered as we walked in.

“Yup, good to be home,” she said before grabbing me forcibly and giving me a heated kiss. I stood there stunned for a second before I dove in and returned it. She hummed in pleasure before pulling away and leaving me with a dopey smile. “Sorry,” she giggled, “I’ve wanted to do that for a while now.”

“I’m not really complaining,” I grinned.

Rainbow snorted at me before leaning in and giving me another quick kiss. “Goodnight Osaka,” she said pulling back and making her way to the stairs. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight Rainbow,” I said watching her go. Maybe it was my imagination but it seemed like she was swaying her hips a bit more then she was before. When she was out of sight I sighed and collapsed onto the couch exhausted. “Well that wasn’t the best date I’ve been on. At least I know I didn’t blow it,” I said to myself as I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

“Daddy I want to play.”

“Alright,” I said opening my eyes to see a smiling sharp toothed burnt husk of a little girl. Arms held up asking for a hug. Her hollowed eyes shining blue.

“Don’t you want to play Daddy?”

I jolted up from the couch and screamed.

Author's Note:

Five Chapters Left

-RabidTonberry