• Published 20th Jan 2014
  • 3,767 Views, 132 Comments

The Misadventures of Osaka Jones - RabidTonberry



Meet Osaka Jones a Human turned colorful pony that fell out of the sky into Equestria. Now he's stuck in a world where the strongest drink is cider...

  • ...
19
 132
 3,767

A Late Night Flight

Scootaloo yawned and snuggled her head deeper into her pillow. Rainbow Dash smiled as she pulled the covers up to Scootaloo’s chin and tucked the little filly into bed. She leaned down and kissed Scootaloo on the forehead. “Goodnight Scoot’s” she said gentle into the filly’s little orange ear.

Scootaloo smiled and looked at Rainbow, her violet eyes slowly drooping close. “Goodnight Rainbow,” she said suppressing another yawn. She looked over at the blue Pegasus stallion that stood next to Rainbow. “Goodnight Uncle Soarin, I had fun hanging out with you today.”

“So did I Squirt. Have a goodnights sleep and will all go out for brunch tomorrow before I leave, alright?” He smiled down at Scootaloo.

“Alright,” She said smiling. She looked around the room and her smile was replaced with a confused frown. “Where’s Osaka?” she asked.

“He’s with Ditzy and Time Turner. They came over while you and Soarin were still out. They invited him over for dinner. They said they wanted to get to know him better or something like that.” Rainbow shrugged. “But don’t worry Scoot’s he’ll be here when you wake up tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Scootaloo murmured rolling over and snuggling further into her pillow and blankets. “Goodnight” she said again, yawning.

“Goodnight Scoot’s” Rainbow and Soarin both said as they made their way out of the room. Rainbow Dash turned out the light and closed the bedroom door leaving it open just a crack.

Rainbow walked down the stairs into her living room. She looked over at Soarin who was sitting in front of the still passed out Lyra; she was curled up in the corner of the room. Rainbow walked over to Soarin.

“She’s still sleeping, can you believe that?...You think we should try to wake her up or something?” Soarin asked Rainbow.

Rainbow scratched her chin in thought then shook her head. “Nah, it’s not like she’s hurting anything.” She said walking towards her kitchen. She walked over to her refrigerator opened it and pulled out a bottle of water. She closed her fridge and turned around and found Soarin standing in the kitchen doorway looking nervously at her. “What’s up Soar?”

“Well I was just wondering if you wanted to go for a little night time flight and goof around a bit.” Soarin said fidgeting around a bit.

Rainbow did not notice this though she was too preoccupied with opening her water bottle. “I don’t know Soar,” she said finally getting the cap on the bottle off. “I really don’t feel comfortable with leaving Scootaloo alone in the house at night, especially since we just put her to sleep.”

“Oh come on Dash when was the last time you and I went for a late night flight together? If it makes you feel any better I promise will stay in the sight of the house at all times.” Soarin said almost pleading but not quite.

Dash sighed and gave a little smile, “Alright, I do admit it does sound fun. Just let me leave a note real quick in case Scoot’s or Lyra wakes up, or if Osaka returns home and wonders where we are.” Rainbow Dash turned and returned her water bottle to the fridge. She then grabbed the note pad and pen that was hanging on the fridge door and wrote out a quick note for Scootaloo, Lyra, and Osaka. She tore off the note and placed it on the kitchen counter. “Alright let’s go Soar.”

Rainbow Dash and Soarin flew through the night air chasing each other just like when they were little foals and had just learned to fly. They both laughed and relished in the nostalgic feeling of playing their old familiar game of cat and mouse, and Soarin was good on his word. They never once let Rainbow’s house get out of their sight.

An hour later they both sat on a nearby cloud enjoying a cool late night breeze that wafted over them, as they both tried to catch their breath.

“I almost had you there for a second at the end.” Soarin said between breaths.

“Ha, in your dreams Soar.” She said lightly hitting him in the shoulder with her hoof, and laughing. After a while Soarin joined in too.

Time passed and their laughter died down and they sat in silence. Rainbow was staring into the night sky enjoying Luna’s work with the stars, while Soarin occupied his time with looking at the stars as well although every few moments he would look at Rainbow then quickly look back to the sky.

“You know Dash,” Soarin began but stopped.

“Hmm?” Rainbow replied turning to Soarin.

Soarin took a deep breath and released it. He smiled and turned to Rainbow. “You know Spitfire is going to hold open tryouts for the Wonderbolts again soon. She’s hoping that you’ll try out this time.” He said still smiling but refusing to look at Rainbow directly.

“Soar…” Rainbow grumbled. “Is that the main reason why you came to visit this weekend? Was it just so you could tell me about the Wonderbolt tryouts?” she said her voice laced in a harsh tone.

Soarin swallowed a lump in his throat, “Well…not the whole reason. I mean I really did want to see you and Scootaloo,” he swallowed again. “But…Spitfire may have given me the week off with the sole purpose of me to get you to consider trying out…” he nervously chuckled. As Rainbow just glared at him. “Please don’t hit me…” he added.

“Dammit Soarin! I’ve told you and Spitfire numerous times that I have no intention of joining the Wonderbolts anymore!” Rainbow shouted at Soarin causing him to flinch.

“But it’s always been your dream to be a Wonderbolt. Hell it’s pretty much the only thing you ever talked about when we were growing up.”

Rainbow sighed. “It was my dream Soar, it was my dream.” She said calmly, all the anger from here earlier outburst gone. “My only dream now is for Scootaloo to be happy and safe.”

“Don’t you think Scootaloo would be happy knowing that her Mothers a Wonderbolt? And if you’re worried about leaving her here you can always bring her along. You wouldn’t be the first Wonderbolt who had a little filly traveling with her on tour.”

Rainbow looked away, “I don’t deserve to be called her Mother.” Rainbow softly murmured underneath her breath.

“What was that?” Soarin asked his ears at full attention.

“Soar I know it’s hard to believe, but dreams change. I enjoy my life here with Scootaloo and with my friends. I don’t have the desire to be a Wonderbolt anymore. Heck I don’t even feel the need to constantly show off to everypony in Ponyville half the time anymore and…”

“Hold on” Soarin interrupted. “I really don’t care about that. Honestly I accepted the fact that you didn’t want to be a Wonderbolt anymore after the last time I brought it up and you slugged me in the face because I kept pestering you about it. The only reason I brought tryouts up is because I told Spitfire I would, and you know I can’t really lie to Spitfire. Plus she’s my boss so I at least had talk to you about it for a bit. But that doesn’t matter. You just said that you don’t deserve to be called Scootaloo’s Mother.”

Rainbow looked away.

“Do…do you actually believe that?”

Rainbow looked down and pawed at the surface of the cloud.

“You do, don’t you?”

“Did you know that I knew Scoot’s for two years before I even knew that she was an orphan? I didn’t even find out until one afternoon when I was walking her home after spending the day with her. I was so confused…” Rainbow sniffed, fighting back tears.

“Dash…” Soarin went up and draped a wing over Rainbow and pulled her in close.

“How didn’t I know,” she cried. “She looked up to me and I had no idea about her situation. I…I didn’t even know about her Dad. It’s no wonder why she’s hasn’t once called me Mom this entire year.” She cried her face buried into Soarin’s shoulder muffling her voice.

“This…this has been weighing on your mind for a while now hasn’t it?”

Rainbow just nodded into Soarin’s shoulder.

“Rainbow…Scootaloo still looks up to you. You mean the world to her and I know she means the world to you. She doesn’t blame you for anything. She loves you, and you love her. And as for the Mother thing, she’ll call you that when she’s ready. That type of thing takes time.” Soarin said rubbing Rainbow’s back.

They sat there in their embrace with Rainbow quietly calming down, her head still buried in Soarin’s shoulder. “This is so lame,” she grumbled. “When did I become so emotionally…and girly…”

“It’s like you said earlier Dash. Dreams change, but so do ponies. Also it’s not girly to want your adoptive daughter to be happy, and I for one kind of like the new emotional and girly Rainbow Dash…” He paused. “And I’m sure Aunt Firefly would as well. She always says you're never expressing your emotions enough and are too tomboyish.” Soarin chuckled.

Rainbow rolled her eyes at Soarin.

Soarin just gave her an amused smile, and pulled her closer to him. “And don’t worry I’ll tell Spitfire to back off with all the Wonderbolt requests.”

“Thank you Soar.”

“Hey it’s what family is for.”

They stayed like that for a while longer cuddled up together on that small little cloud, just two cousins taking comfort in just being together.


I sat in Ditzy and Time Turners small little dining room table munching on a banana nut muffin. My fur was sweaty and matted down in some places. My mane was bedraggled. Time Turner, who’s apparently a doctor in something, was sitting next to me talking about something I didn’t understand. I think it had to do with time in some way. His fur was also matted down in places, but yet his hair was perfect somehow.

Ditzy came into the room with a fresh platter of muffins balanced on her back. Her mane and fur was in the same predicament as mine. She came over and deposited the muffins onto the table. I reached over and grabbed a fresh muffin. “You were right Ditzy. You do make the best muffins in Ponyville.” I said before taking a bite.

She gave me a smile. “I’m glad you like them, and you know,” she stopped and leaned into my ear. “You’re rather good at eating muffins.” She whispered seductively.

I stopped my chewing and silently wondered what Rainbow Dash and Soarin were doing.

Author's Note:

So yea I'm not to sure on the dialog between Soarin and Dash, but I was an impasse on how to make it better/make sense. (I don't know) But if you guys have an idea on how to make it better just PM me and will discuss it.
Sorry about the shortness of this chapter but the next one should make up for that.
There won't be another update till sometime after the 14. I's got to move.
So yea comment, fave, like, dislike, send me threatening email.
Whatever makes you happy.