• Published 20th Mar 2012
  • 5,199 Views, 138 Comments

PonyFall: Falling Apples - Belgianchief



The story of Applejack and me in the Ponyfall collab

  • ...
11
 138
 5,199

Antonio and Maria

I woke up from a gleam of sunlight passing through a small crack in my curtains. Smiling, I opened the curtains all the way. The sky was clear, a perfect day in April. I looked at the clock to see that it was 11am. I just had the best of dreams, so I felt I could handle anything the world threw at me. But then, I heard a moan behind me. On my bed laid Applejack, like I thought I had dreamed about. But apparently, it was all very real, or this was just a continuation of the now very long dream. I smiled, knowing that this was all very real. She was waking up, so I decided I would be as cheerful as I could be.

“Good morning Applejack. Did you sleep well?” She looked at me with her big green eyes, and then turned them away, with sadness.
She must have hoped it was all a dream as well. I don’t blame her, it’s a little too strange to be real, and yet it is. Sighing, I went over to look her in the eye.

“Look, Applejack. I am going to tell you this right now. I have no idea how you got here in the first place. I have no clue how to get you back to Equestria. But I’m going to give it my best shot to get you back to your friends. I know how much they mean to you. You don’t have to worry.”

She gave me a smile, but I could see it was forced. I couldn’t blame her. If I were teleported to Equestria, I would be heartbroken as well, no matter how much I would like it there. I would have left my parents, my friends. Those thoughts caused my cheerful mood to plummet. I forced a smile as well, and invited her to have brunch with me. I made my way to the kitchen, noticing that Applejack was only following me very slowly. It broke my heart to see her so sad, so I decided I was going to make her something sweet to cheer her up. I decided to make French toast the way I liked it best.

There was still plenty of old white bread, so I took six slices. I didn’t have to think long about which fruit to use. Apples of course. I poured some milk in a bowl, cracked some eggs and mixed the two together, while adding a bit of cinnamon and a little bit of salt. I cut the slices of bread in half, covering them in thin slices of apple, then stacking them. After placing them in a big soup plate, I poured the mix over the slices of bread. Now, they needed to soak for a couple of minutes in the mix. Applejack still hadn’t joined me in the kitchen, and I was getting worried. I looked for her, but then I heard the shower. Good, that gives me enough time to have her plate ready when she comes back. I hope it’ll be nice.

I waited for a few minutes till the mixture had completely soaked in the bread, making sure I turned the ‘apple sandwiches’ now and then. I melted a piece of butter in a pan. I baked the sandwiches til they were brown at both sides, while sprinkling a little of sugar over the top, letting it caramelise. Just when I was about to serve the plates on the table, I heard the door open.

“Oh, it’s smellin’ mighty fine in here.” Applejack called out. I smiled to face her, and almost dropped the plates. In the door stood Applejack, completely naked. I quickly turned back around.

“What’s the matter?” Applejack asked, clearly not understanding the situation.

“C-c-could you please get dressed before j-joining me at the table?” I managed to stutter out while I was facing the wall.

“Oh darn it, Ah’ll be right back.” She left the room and came back real fast. “I’m back” she called out.

“Are... Are you... presentable?” I was now shaking, still facing the wall.

“Yeah, yeah. Ah know ya told me clothes were common ’ere, but Ah just forgot to put them on again after having showered. Ah’m really not used to wearin’ clothes. Ah'm still wondering how Ah got in these ones in the first place."

I slowly turned towards Applejack and let a sigh of relief when I saw that she was fully clothed. She, however, started laughing like no tomorrow. “Yer face, haha, it’s as red as one of mah apples. What’s the matter, didn’t like what you see?”

I had told her yesterday that clothes were common here because the male population (and probably female too, but that was beyond my expertise) could find the naked body very... enticing, so to speak. for some reason, I couldn't shake the feeling that this was all some kind of test.
I felt my face growing into an even deeper red, so I quickly put down the plates and poured some brown sugar on top of the French toast.

“What’s this, sugahcube?”

“It’s called French toast. It’s kinda my own recipe, with fruit. This one is with apples. I also make them with bananas or mango, basically any fruit that still tastes good after heating it.”

“Hmm, thish ish good” she said with her mouth full. I smiled, it felt good for someone to compliment me on my cooking. Usually I cooked for myself and no one else.

“Thank you. It’s actually been a while since I’ve made this. It’s kinda a waste to make this for one person.”

“Don’t ya share this kitchen with 7 other pon... people?”

“Yeah, I do, but I don’t really consider them to be friends, just... acquaintances. I mean, we’ve cooked together a couple of times, but we had to plan it way ahead for people to be able to attend. Now we just don’t bother anymore.”

“Ah see. Well, with your cooking skills, Ah dunno why they aren’t asking ya to cook for them all the time.”

That made me smile even more. “You really think my cooking is that good?”

“Yeah, Ah’m wondering though, do ya still have some o’ that Nutella stuff?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think you’ll like it on your French toast. I’ve tried it before, and it just doesn’t see to work with fruit.”

“Why not?” She really seemed to like the stuff, and I couldn’t blame her for it. Hell, Nutella pretty much saved my life when I first got to live on my own without any cooking skills.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll make some French toast another time, but this time I’ll make sure you can eat your precious Nutella with it. However, now I have a question for you.” I said in a very serious voice. Also waiting a couple of seconds before asking the actual question, seemed to make Applejack very nervous. “What’s best, my French toast, or Pinkie’s cupcakes?”

“Gosh darn it Andrew, ya made me real nervous there. Ah have to say Pinkie’s cupcakes though. They’re just the best.” She seemed quite sad after saying that.

“Oh well, I just have to keep practising then.” I said while cleaning up the plates. Applejack remained seated at the table. I sighed. I shouldn’t have mentioned Pinkie, I’m such an idiot.

After cleaning the dishes, I went to check my computer. I noticed I left the IRC open last night, so I scrolled up to see what people had been talking about. I read the usual stuff, apart from a small discussion of fudge. Apparently some guy had smelled fudge, but said nothing further on the matter. After that, there were people who said they had or hadn’t smalled fudge. I had some fudge lying around, while a theory formed in my head. I went back to the kitchen, heated up my frying pan again and put some fudge in it, in order to spread its aroma. Immediately, the entire kitchen smelled like sweet fudge. I asked Applejack, who was still in the kitchen if she could smell it.

“Smell what?” Applejack said with a confused look on her face.

“Exactly. Now, Applejack, I may have some news for you, but you’ll have to decide whether it’s bad or good.” Applejack looked very interested, but still very confused.

“I’ve been heating fudge here, which, normally, gives off a very strong aroma. But you can’t smell it. Now, I have a theory. When I found you, you were smelling like fudge as well, which is fine. Actually it’s pretty nice” I said while Applejack tried to smell herself. “Now, my theory is that everything smells like fudge in Equestria, including you, so you’re used to the smell, thus you don’t smell it anymore.”

“Okay, but Ah don’t see why that should be important.”

“Well, some people wrote that they’ve smelled fudge too. This probably means that they’ve found somepony. So it’s possible that there are more ponies who have gone to Earth. I don’t know if all of them have, or who have, or where they are, or even if it’s true, I just want you to consider the possibility.”

I turned around from the furnace, to see Applejack standing there, in tears.

“Are you ok?” I asked her, hoping that I hadn't upset her even more. God, I'm such an idiot. All I do is make her sad, make her cry...

She hugged me, and I was completely taken aback from her sudden burst of emotion.

“Thank you Andrew. Ah had no idea what happened in Equestria, what happened to my friends, to my family, to me even. Ah was worried mah big brother and mah little sister thought Ah had abandoned them. Ah was worried that my friends thought Ah had deserted them in the final battle. Ah can never thank ya enough for telling me that.”

She stood there, crying, while hugging me. I had to give it my best shot to not start crying myself.

After a minute, I told her. “Applejack, if something like that is on your mind, you have to tell me. I can’t blame you for not trusting me immediately, but I’ll tell you again that I’ll do anything to help you. You really can trust me.”
I pulled myself from the hug, and looked her over. Her cowgirl-ish clothes were too strange for Belgium. Trying to cheer her up, I stated in the best Rarity impersonation I could do.
“We simply have to give you a new outfit, dear. This simply won’t do.”

Applejack snorted. “Why? I like these clothes, they’re nice and comfy.”

“I have no doubt about that, it’s just that those clothes are a bit... uncommon on this side of the world. I say we both go to town and get you some new ones.”
She nodded, and a few minutes later, we were waiting at the bus stop. I paid for both our tickets to town, and we got off the bus in the main street. Having being brought along on numerous occasions to carry the shopping of my two sisters and mother, I probably knew more about clothes than I had ever wished. I pointed to the first clothes store across the street.

“That there is a pretty good store. The clothes there are often very nice and high quality.”

“Lead on, pardner” Applejack said, but she didn’t seem to be too enthusiastic.

After a couple of minutes of trying clothes, Applejack said to me. “Ya’re right an’ all that these are good clothes. It’s just, they never feel good to wear. They’re really uncomfortable.”

“It’s ok, AJ, we’ll just go on to the next store.”

“Did ya just call me AJ?” Oh dang... She said that it was creepy that I knew all that stuff about her.

“Yeah, I’m sorry. Do you mind me calling you that? I should have asked you first, of course.”

“Ah don’t mind it, but why?”

“Well... Don’t take this bad, but Applejack is a really weird name here. I was hoping I could shorten it, to make it sound less strange. I’ll still call you Applejack if you like.” Okay, that was a pretty good lie... Dang it why do I feel so bad about lying to her?

“Nah, AJ’s fine. Mah friends call me AJ, so you can too.”

“Thanks... AJ”

“So where to next?”

“Well, there’s another store that’s very similar to this one just around the corner, so I don’t think you’ll like that one either. Then there’s that store” as I pointed her to a big store diagonal from our location, “But the clothes from there are, frankly, rubbish, they’re cheap, but they don’t last long. Lastly, there’s a small store a bit further down the street which I think you’ll like, so I guess we’ll go there next.”

“Again, lead the way, pardner.”

As we entered the small shop, we were greeted by the shopkeeper, and asked if we needed her help choosing anything. I turned to Applejack.

“Well, to be perfectly honest, I have no sense of fashion at all. She could probably help you more than I could.”

“Okay then, Ah’ll go with that.” She turned to the shopkeeper. “Ah just need some new basic clothes, is all.”

“Any colour you prefer?”

“Uhm, Ah dunno, really”

I couldn’t really blame her. After all, she was not even used to the concept of everyday clothes. So, I sat myself down in one of the comfy chairs (which was why it was my favourite shop for my sisters to shop at) and watched Applejack discussing colours and taste with the very friendly shopkeeper, who, like most young people in Belgium, had no trouble speaking English.

“The most important thing is that Ah feel good in mah clothes, the rest doesn’t really matter. Just gimme something that ya think’ll look good on me.”

“But don’t you want to look your best?”

“Sure, Ah guess, but Ah’m not wearing it if Ah don’t feel good in it.”

I yawned... Comfy chair...

“Wake up, ya sleepyhead.”

I shook up immediately. Falling asleep in public was something I didn’t like doing, but with the stress from university, it seemed to happen more and more. Walking up to the counter, I asked Applejack what she bought.

“Just a couple of those jeans and T-shirts, they feel real nice. Listen, I’ll be waitin’ outside for ya, Ah hate being in the same place for too long. It kinda creeps me out in some way.”

“Sure thing, don’t go too far, though.” I called out to her as she walked out the door.”

“That’ll be 160 euros.”

I frowned. Luckily, I had been cheap the last few weeks and saved quite a bit of money from my weekly allowance. And why the hell not, it was freaking Applejack. I’d gladly pay several times that amount just to...

Just to what? Why do I want to pay for AJ? I know she is, well was, well I guess kinda still is, my favourite pony. Do I want her to stay, even knowing how much she misses her family and friends? No, I’m just helping a … friend, I hope, in need. Besides, feeling guilty about having to pay for someone else? That had be a first. And she’s been concerned about the price, too. 160 euros for all these clothes, was actually not all that much. She really tried to keep it down for me.

I quickly shrugged away the thoughts, paid for the clothes, and went out to see Applejack, sitting on a bench, just looking... sad.

“What’s up?” I said to her. “There’s something on your mind.”

“Ah’m jus’ so useless...” she sighed.

“You’ve been in this strange, new world a single day. And you already feel guilty? Please, for both our sakes, think of this as a small vacation. Enjoy yourself. I’m gonna try everything to get you back to Equestria as soon as I can. I promise.” Only I have still no idea how, and I doubt if she ever will without the use of some magic. I just hope that the other ponies are fine too, and that they will get together and figure it out for themselves.

“Thanks Andrew, Ah’ll try and cheer up.” Being the Element of Honesty, she was a terrible liar. I could tell that she knew that I had no clue how to take her back.

“I’m sorry, AJ, I really wish I could help. The only thing I can think about is maybe finding the other Elements, but I have no idea where they are, if they are here at all. I’m sorry, but this is something magical, and I’m afraid it’s gonna take magic to solve.” We both stayed silent for a minute, just looking straight ahead of us.

All of a sudden, my stomach growled, breaking this tense moment.

“I’m sorry” We both called out. Looking at each other, confused, again we both called out “I thought I...” I facepalmed, hoping somewhere that she did too, for that would have been awesome. I’ll never know though, since I sprang up from the bench, and almost yelled. “Fine then, let’s get something to eat!”

“Sure, whatcha got in mind?”

“I’ve actually been wondering some things about Equestria for once, rather than the other way around. One of them is the food. Tell me, do you know pizza?”

“Nope, what in the hay is that?”

“Only the best type of food in the world. During the summer, I work at this very nice place, and their pizzas are the best you'll ever have.”

As I started to walk, Applejack grabbed my hand.

“Andrew, it’s not... meat is it?”

I pondered how to tackle this question, not wanting to ruin the small surprise.

“Some are, some aren’t. That’s all I’m gonna say for now. C’mon, let’s go.”

As we walked to the pizzeria, something else popped in my mind.

“Just to let you know, I am gonna take a pizza with meat. I hope you can respect that.”

She pondered that for a second. “Ah don’t have a problem with it. Ah mean, Winona eats meat too.”

That made me stop in my tracks. “So I’m like a dog to you, is what you’re trying to say?”

“Exactly.” And she walked on, leaving me behind.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to pizza.

Not wanting Applejack to walk past the place, I quickly caught up with her. I stopped at some double doors, which were open. If you didn’t know where this pizzeria was, you weren’t going to find it on your own. I’d only found it myself when looking for a summer job last year, because there was a small paper with “help wanted” stapled to it. Looking at the doors, Applejack asked. “Are ya sure this is the place? Doesn’t seem like no restaurant to me.”

I sighed. “Antonio, the owner, likes it that way. He says if the place is crowded, he can’t make his pizzas as special as he does now. So he keeps it hidden from the plain eye on the street. Even though I don’t agree with his marketing strategy, he’s right. He puts a lot of effort in his pizzas and they are the best you’ll ever have. It’s just a damn shame that he doesn’t nearly make enough income to be sustainable. He’s way too generous for his own good.” I opened the door and stepped in.

“Andrew! Buon Giorno!”

“Antonio! Nice to see you again!”
Antonio was a bear of a guy. Being almost 2 meters tall and having muscles like I’d never seen before, the first time I saw him I wondered what I had gotten myself into. But the man had a heart of gold, and would never even hurt a fly.

“Well Andrew, who’s the lovely principessa right there eh?”

“Where are my manners. Antonio, this is AJ, she’s a friend of mine who’ll be staying at my place for a couple of weeks.” Or more. “AJ, this is Antonio. He can make the finest pizzas in the world.”

“It’s my pleasure, principessa.” He walked up to Applejack, took her hand and kissed it. She giggled. I just smiled, Antonio was being his old charming self.

“Antonio! What are you doing this time?” I knew the voice that came from the restaurant. Behind the bar stood Maria, Antonio’s wife. “I’m not looking for two minutes and there you are, charming a girl.”

Antonio looked at me, pleading. During my summer job, Maria had gotten a soft spot for me, as the son they never had. I sighed, stepping out from behind his back. “Maria, how very lovely to see you again.” I called out to his wife.

“Andrew!” She rushed over to give me a big, motherly hug, lifting me from the ground. “How have you been? Are you eating well? You must be starving.” “Antonio! What are you waiting for? Get these two a table!”

“Yes dear.” It kept surprising me how Maria could order the giant bear that was her husband around, even though I had seen it many a times before. I chuckled.

“So Andrew, why don’t you tell me about your girlfriend over there?”

“She’s not my girlfriend!”

“Well then, where are your manners?!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. AJ, this is Maria, Antonio’s wife. Maria, this is AJ, she’s just a friend.”

“I’m just teasing, darling. Now, go inside. Antonio should have set up a table for you two.”

As we entered the restaurant, I could see that it hadn’t changed a bit. The walls were cluttered by anything that was even remotely Italian. The tables were far apart from each other, and the chairs were very well cushioned, for maximum comfort. Everything was in shades of red, white and black, the typical Italian restaurant. Antonio showed us to a table close to the big open hearth. He pulled out one chair and motioned for Applejack to sit. She smiled as she sat down. Meanwhile I sat down on my own, while Antonio handed us both a menu. He made a small bow and went to the kitchen.

“Andrew, ya really gotta tell me what a pizza is, else Ah’m not gonna to be able to pick something.”

“Well, fine. Basically, a pizza is a round, flat piece of dough. On it they put tomato sauce and various toppings. Then they put it in the oven to bake it. Just pick a mix of toppings you think you like.”

“Okay, sure.”

“Have you decided?” Maria stood at our table with a simple notepad and a pen.

“Ah’ll have this one here.” She pointed at the menu. “But without the ham please.”

“Would you like something instead of the ham?”

“No, jus’ more of the rest Ah suppose.”

“Okay, a Quattro Stagioni without ham, coming up. How about you, Andrew?”

“I’ll have the Giovanni special.”

“Of course you will. Anything to drink?”

“Just some water for me please” I responded.

“Uhm... Do ya have some... apple juice maybe?” Applejack asked nervously. How did I not see that coming. That reminds me, I really should get some apple juice for her.

“Of course dear.” As she started to walk away, I called out to her and whispered something in her ear. She nodded and went to the kitchen.

“What was that all about?”

“Noth-”

“Antonio! La Bambina! She’s never had a pizza before!”

Suddenly it was completely silent. That eerie silence lasted until my palm came into contact with my face, causing a small slapping sound. The hand stayed there, as I felt redness creeping on my face. Through my fingers, I saw the head of a shocked Antonio through the kitchen door.

Mamma Mia!

My other hand quickly joined the first one on my head, burying my face, trying to cover as much as possible of my now completely red face.

“Ah suppose that was what all that was about.” Applejack said, chuckling. I groaned, causing Applejack to chuckle even louder. What’s keeping the pizzas...

After a couple of humiliating minutes, I saw Maria carrying two big plates to our table.

“A Quattro Stagioni for the lady, and an Antonio Special for you, Andrew. Buon Appetito.”

“It’s looking really nice, Maria. Thank you.”

“My pleasure, Andrew. Be sure to call for me if you need anything.” She said as she walked back to the kitchen.

“She’s a mighty friendly lady.” Applejack commented. “So, Andrew, just how are ya supposed to eat this?”

“Simple, you just cut off a slice and eat it with you hands.” I did just that, and failed miserably, as half of my toppings went tumbling back on my plate. “Of course, if you have too many toppings, like I do, you can just cut it up and eat it with knife and fork, but that’s nowhere near as fun” I said disappointed.

“Just what do ya have on yer pizza for toppings?”

“Uhm... Pretty much everything. Four types of cheese, mushrooms, peppers, ham, chicken, onion, seafood, anchovies...” With everything I said, Applejack’s eyes seem to widen more and more, clearly wondering how you could eat all of those things together. “It’s why I love Antonio’s pizzas, it binds everything together so nicely. Now, let’s eat.” I said with a smile. I tried to take the same slice, but again the toppings just slid off. Sighing, I took my knife and fork and started cutting it up in smaller pieces, while Applejack had a chuckle at my misfortune.

After we both had finished about half of our way too large pizzas, I could see that Applejack was having trouble completely finishing it. “Hey, if you’re full, just leave it. It’s fine.” I said to her.

“I don’t wanna waste all of this. This is great.” She said with a guilty face.

“Who said anything about wasting? Wait here.” I walked up to the counter to find Maria and Antonio whispering. I waited for a minute to hear what they were talking about.

“They’re such a cute couple.”

“Uh-hum!” I immediately cleared my throat, getting both of their attention.

“What is it, dear?” Maria asked.

“Two things. Firstly, could we get some pizza boxes to take the pizza home with us?”

“Sure thing, Andrew, two pizza boxes coming right up!” Antonio replied.

“Secondly” I added, “Me and AJ are not a couple. We only met yesterday, under some weird circumstances, and I’m just helping her out a bit.”

“Sure dear, we’re only teasing you a bit. Just go back to your table, we’ll be right there.”

I returned to my table, finding Applejack trying to eat, but I could see from her face that it wasn’t working so well for her. I smiled as I sat down in front of her. “I’ve taken care of it, we’ll be taking the rest of these pizzas with us back home, so we can finish them later. Is that okay with you?”

“Sure, as long as we’re not wasting anything.” she said, clearly looking relieved. I chuckled at the sight. Just like that, Antonio came to our table, carrying two pizza boxes. He put the remainders of our pizzas in the boxes and put them in a bag. “So, AJ, how did you like your first pizza, eh?”

“Oh, it was delicious, the best Ah’ve eaten here so far. Thank ya kindly, mister.”

“Please, call me Antonio, principessa.” Just as he spoke those words, Maria approached him behind his back and gave him a slap on his head. “Get back to the kitchen, you!” She turned to us. “Don’t mind the big monkey I have as a husband. I hope you enjoyed your meal.”

“Most certainly. I’d send my compliments to the chef, but I have a suspicion he already knows.” I replied, laughing. “Now, how much do I owe you? And you know I don’t take ‘nothing’ for an answer.”

“Nothing” Maria replied. “This one’s on the house.”

“I can’t have that, you hardly get costumers so I’m going to pay for this, whether you like it or not.”

“Let’s have a compromise, then. Are you planning to come work here in the summer months?”

“Yeah, I was, but I don’t know what that has to do with any of this.”

“How about you come to work here in the weekends as well? If you do, this pizza and every pizza from now on is on the house.”

I thought about it for a couple of seconds. “I missed the both of you, and I’d really love to work here again, and I could use the money, but I'd have to ask my parents first.”

“Sure thing, Andrew, you have our number. Give us a call once you find out. I’ll be looking forward to it. For now, you two, enjoy your evening together.” She walked us to the door. “Get home safely, Andrew, and take care of that charming lady you have there.” She quickly closed the door, knowing that I’d want to react to that. Applejack gave me a chuckle when she saw my annoyed face. “C’mon, let’s go home” She said, walking to the bus stop.

When we arrived back home, I turned to Applejack. “Say, AJ, do you have movies in Equestria?”

“Well, there’s a movie theatre in Canterlot and there’s one in Manehattan, but Ah’ve never been to neither one of them.”

“How ‘bout watching a movie with me? If you want we can eat the remainder of the pizza along with it.”

“Sure thing, sounds nice, what did ya have in mind?”

“Well, I have quite a few movies, but I think I know you’ll like the one I had in mind.”

“What’s it called?”

“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It’s a classic western, located in the far west... Uhm... think of the scene around Appleloosa. It’s pretty action-packed, though I’m not gonna spoil the rest.”

“Sure.”

I placed my laptop on the table in front of the couch and motioned for Applejack to sit. I loaded the movie from my hard drive, and we started watching, while eating the remainders of our pizza.

About halfway through the movie, I felt Applejack’s head on my shoulder. I looked at her to see that she was asleep. I stood up carefully, allowing her to gently fall into the couch. After turning off my laptop, I scooped her up from the couch and laid her gently on my bed. I went to lie on my couch and fell asleep not long after.