• Published 12th Dec 2013
  • 971 Views, 30 Comments

The Worst of a Bad Situation - NLRscout



This is the story of some poor random sap named Jay who got tossed into the middle of the fray. He has to figure out how to survive against manticores, hydras and ponies oh my!

  • ...
10
 30
 971

Cute shit happens

It was starting to get dark outside after me and Fluttershy's talk. I was saying my goodbyes and making my way to the door, but I was stopped. "Wait!" I turned my head to look at Fluttershy over my shoulder. The sound of her voice in anything but a whisper had surprised me.

"Yes Fluttershy?" She looked down and hid in her mane for a moment when our eyes met, before she asked me a question.

"Do you... um... do you have anywhere to sleep tonight?" It was a simple enough question, but it still made me turn back around and think. I had nowhere to go. No place to call home anymore, nor just a bed to call mine for the night. I hadn't minded sleeping outside up until this point when someone, or somepony rather, had pointed it out.

"No." My answer emotionless. I looked back at Fluttershy, who was no longer hiding behind her mane, but now giving me a sympathetic look. "I guess I don't." The thought of sleeping outside again didn't seem all that appealing, but I didn't really have a choice at this point. "Goodnight Fluttershy." I said as I turned back around to the door and made my way to it. Opening it, I walked out. I was about five feet outside of Fluttershy's cottage before I heard her door open.

"Jay?" I heard her say from her porch. I turned back around and looked at her quizzically, which she took as her cue to continue. "Um.. I have a guest room here, and you're more than welcome to stay here. That is... if you want..." she trailed off at the end and started to again hide behind her mane. I quickly waived off the idea.

"I would hate to be a burden, and besides, I wouldn't want to make you feel uncomfortable in your own home. I'm sure I can find somewhere to sleep out here." I tried to put on a fake smile hoping she would buy it, but she saw right through my façade. She put on a stern expression.

"Nonsense, I couldn't get let you sleep out here, especially after all you've been through. It will be nice to have some company also, its been a long time sense I've had anypony stay over." She gave me a warm smile and my heart melted at her kindness. These ponies had shown me more kindness in the short time of my being here than humanity had, in my entire life. I gave her a smile. From what I'd gathered, ponies were much more innocent then humans and likely hadn't experienced the hells of how cruel life could actually be.

"I would appreciate it more than you know." She smiled more brightly at my acceptance of her offer and motioned for me to come in.

It was well into the hours of the night, and after me telling Fluttershy countless stories of my life on earth, and even more fanciful stories, halo being one of them. Except, instead of Master Chief, I placed myself in the stories, to help Fluttershy become more invested. I got to the part where Master Chief met the promethiens, before I let out a yawn and realised how tired I was. Fluttershy however, was completely engrossed in my story telling, much as I had been the first time I had played the game. She noticed the tired look in my eyes and my sleepy voice.

"Oh! Um if you're tired, I can show you where you'll be sleeping, and we can finish the story in the morning." I gave her an appricative look and nodded. I followed her up the stairs and walked in behind her as she stepped into the first room to our right. When we walked in, I couldn't help but notice that this seemed rather nice for a guest bedroom. Not that I was complaining, because the bed looked super comfy. She let me walk past her as she stepped to the side. "This is it. I hope its okay." I grinned at her.

"Okay? This is fantastic! Far better than anything I have slept on in the past, as long as I can remember!" I flopped on the bed and gave a chuckle. It was better than it looked. I lied there for a moment before I caught a wiff of my armpit and almost passed out. "Um, Fluttershy?"

"Yes Jay?" I looked back at her with a slightly embarrassed look.

"Do you have a bath or shower I could use? I've been so caught up in the chaos that has been going on around me, that I've kind of forgotten about my hygiene." She gave me an understanding look and nodded.

"Walk up the hallway and its the first door on your left. There is some soap and shampoo in there that you can use. I hope you don't mind lilacs." I smiled, appreciatively and walked across the hallway to the bathroom. Walking in, I turned around and shut the door, noting that it didn't have a lock I shrugged and began stripping my clothes. Once down to my boxers, I walked to the tub. Seeing the fact that it had no shower head, I guessed I was going to take a bath. I had no problem with this though. Adjusting the hot and cold nozzles until it was at a satisfactory temperature, I plugged the drain using the small plug I had found inside the tub and waited for it to fill up. Walking up to the large mirror, I examined my face. I had grown back the stubble I shaved frequently and I looked a little more ragged than normal, but that was to be expected. I noticed that my hair was also a complete mess, and looked like someone attacked me with a weedeater. Glancing back at the tub, I saw it was at a high enough level and turned off the faucet.

Dipping my hand in the water to test it, I deemed it a reasonable temperature and stepped into the tub after removing my underwear. The water felt like heaven on my dirty and battered body. I dunked my head into the water and washed about four days worth of filth from my hair and face. After I got the majority of the grime off, I drained the tub and refilled it with new water. I went to work washing my hair with the shampoo Fluttershy had on her shelf. The rich floral scent of lilacs and a hint of vanilla washed over my nose, ridding me of the smells to be expected of someone who hadn't showered in almost a week and who had been in the wilderness for the majority of that time. After rinsing the shampoo out, I scrubbed my body with the soap bar that Fluttershy had.

After draining the tub and drying myself, I put my boxers back on and left my smelly clothes in the bathroom, intending to deal with them tomorrow. I walked to what I thought was Fluttershy's room and opened the door, planning on saying goodnight to her. But when I opened the door, and saw that it was just a storage closet, I was confused, if only for a second. This was the only other door on the second story besides the bathroom and the guest room and then it hit me. "She was going to give me her bed?" I said quietly. I quickly walked back to her room and looked in and saw no sign of her. I left the room and walked downstairs. Sure enough, there she was, curled up on the couch, looking uncomfortable and cold. I almost had a heart attack at the sight of her shivering. Walking over, I carefully picked her up in my arms and quietly carried her upstairs. We got to her room and I set her down in her bed. I moved back the covers and scooted her into place and put the covers over her and tucked her in. She smiled happily in her sleep and snuggled against the covers, getting more comfortable. I turned off the light and quietly shut the door.

Walking to the couch, I plopped down and felt sleep overcome me.

Author's Note:

Kinda of a longer chapter, and the next update will probably be later today, depending what happens. Anywho, lemme know what you think and thanks for reading!