• Published 12th Dec 2013
  • 971 Views, 30 Comments

The Worst of a Bad Situation - NLRscout



This is the story of some poor random sap named Jay who got tossed into the middle of the fray. He has to figure out how to survive against manticores, hydras and ponies oh my!

  • ...
10
 30
 971

Recounting Tales of Non Epic Proportions

After I walked Fluttershy to her cabin, which hadn't been as far away as I thought, we walked in the door and she led me to a couch. I sat down and thanked her, walking was hard on the feet and being able to take a load off was nice. She sat next to me and I thought this as good a time as any to tell her what I promised to.

"Well I suppose you want me to tell you about me, so I won't beat around the bush. I was in the wrong place at the right time, it would seem and I got pinned for something I didn't do. What was it? I got framed for stabbing someone. I would never do that Fluttershy, don't look so worried. Anyways, that landed me in jail for three years. I was fresh out of high school when that happened so I had no real concept of the outside world or jail. I learned really quickly that it was dog eat dog in jail. Not literally Fluttershy, don't worry. I just mean, to get ahead you had to assert yourself or you would be stepped on everywhere you went. I saw some things in jail that I wish I hadn't and the people were cruel. Not just the prisoners, bit the guards were corrupt too. Taking their anger out on any prisoner who showed the tiniest bit of fight in them. More than one person left the jail I was in, in a body bag. It wasn't a fun experience. Eventually, the charges I had against me were over thrown when they found the right guy and I was released. No apology, just kicked out one day out of the blue. I wasn't exactly complaining but even though I was innocent, I still had to pay for my stay in jail and I had no family to speak of to help pay, because I was an orphan.

After that, things went steadily down hill. Sounds hard to beleive I know, but it did. I lost the house I was in on account of not making a payment in three years and I had no job to speak of. I panhandled everyday just to have something to eat. I wouldn't have had anything if it wasn't for the generosity of passing people, giving me loose change, or whatever they deemed appropriate. I did that for a year. Sleeping underneath highway passes and begging for food and money for a year, before my life changed because of one person. His name was Viktor. He was a Russian business owner, and he gave me the first job is had in years. This is where my life started its slow chug back to normality and stability. He worked as a butcher, in a deli. Before you freak out, you have to understand everyone on earth is an omnivore, and the animals there aren't sentient. He gave me a job as a janitor. I didn't mind though, money was money, and its a dominating force on earth.

I worked there for two years, before I had saved up enough money to get an apartment somewhat close to where I worked and life was going good. Eventually, I moved up from janitor, to butcher. And after another two years, Viktor passed away. I was devastated. The closest thing I ever had to a friend, gone like that. I was worried about how I would continue living in my apartment if I couldn't pay rent. After a week of grief, I had to keep moving and I looked around for a new job. I went to where I would probably have the best chance of being hired. A fast food joint called McDonald's. Then after that, everything was fine. Then I got transported or whatever here." As I finished, I looked at Fluttershy to see a mix of emotions on her face. The most prominent one being sorrow. "Don't feel bad for me Fluttershy. I've been through a lot, but I always try to have my chin up and see the bright side of things." I smiled. That was a lie of course, I was quite a pessimistic person, but I really didn't want to see her cry again. I'd probably D'awww myself to death. She still looked sad but had a small smile on her face. She reached out and hugged me and it was my turn to be surprised. She broke the embrace and looked me in the eyes.

"I have met a lot of brave ponies, but to have to go through what you have and still wear a smile, takes a lot of guts. If it makes you feel better, I'd be more than happy to be your friend." I turned my head away from hers because I didn't want her to see the tears pooling in the corners of my eyes. I chuckled in spite of myself.

"I haven't had a friend in a very long time. I would love to have another one." I looked back at her and smiled. She did too.