• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 886 Views, 107 Comments

Half-Hour Horses - HoofAndQuill



A collection of short prompt-based stories, from Thirty Minute Ponies.

  • ...
2
 107
 886

PreviousChapters Next
Sunshine [Slice of Life]

(The prompt: Celestia’s mentor.

The prompt: Twilight’s protege.

(You may choose to follow one or both of the prompts.))

Princess Twilight Sparkle trotted lightly down the marble hallway, carrying the tea kettle along beside her in her magic. The castle staff gave her smiles and polite nods as she went along her way, all more than familiar with the unicorn-turned-alicorn by now. She felt just as comfortable here in Canterlot Castle as she did at her parents' home or her library in Ponyville.

In fact, Twilight was comfortable enough in her position as Princess, or more accurately in her position as Princess Celestia's student and friend, that she felt she could open the door to the Princess' private study without waiting for her knock to be acknowledged. Of course, nothing too shocking awaited her on the other side. It was simply her mentor Princess Celestia sitting on one of her luxurious cushions, sifting through a number of parchment scrolls.

Princess Celestia glanced over to the door, and then smiled at the sight of Twilight. She quietly shuffled the scrolls aside and pulled a cushion over for Twilight to join her. "Good evening, Princess Twilight. I had hoped that you would come and see me here during your time in Canterlot."

"I couldn't visit Canterlot and not visit you, Princess Celestia!" Twilight Sparkle took a seat on the cushion, and poured tea for the both of them, setting the delicate cups down on the small table nearby. "I miss this more than anything else about Canterlot. Talking to you, I mean."

Princess Celestia closed her eyes and nodded elegantly, and took a moment to sip at her tea. "I would very much like to hear of your latest adventures and experiences in Ponyville, Twilight."

Twilight smiled and blushed slightly. "I don't do anything that important... well, most of the time. But what's happened since the last time I was here... hmm... Oh, well, a few days after I got back to Ponyville, Pinkie threw this party, her 'Library Re-opening Three Day Anniversary' party..."

--

"-- and when the lightning struck the cart, I thought Applejack was going to jump over the whole barn!"

Twilight Sparkled burst into laughter at the memory of her friends' antics, and Princess Celestia joined in, smiling and chuckling warmly, as much over Twilight's happiness as the story itself. During the long conversation, their tea had gone stone cold and sat forgotten, while the two ponies had ended up on the same cushion, leaning against one another as they spoke and laughed together. "It sounds lovely, Twilight. You are quite lucky to have so many interesting friends in your life."

"I would never have met them if it hadn't been for you, Princess Celestia." Twilight smiled at Celestia, and then sighed contentedly as the laughter faded. Her ears perked up a bit as she noticed the scrolls Celestia had been reading when she came in. She picked one up in her magic, and unrolled it. "Dearest Princess Celestia, I am happy to report that one of your youngest subjects..."

Twilight smiled as she skimmed over the letter. "You're reading my old friendship reports?"

Celestia nodded, and draped a wing across Twilight's back. "Yes, Twilight. They were always very interesting to me. You were always so very thorough; it was like being there myself."

"You know... You always ask what I've been doing, but you rarely say anything about what you've been up to." Twilight turned to look upwards at Princess Celestia. "How have things in the castle been? What about your friends?"

"Very little happens here, Princess Twilight. Nobles come and go, as do diplomats, and the matters both bring to my attention are ultimately unimportant. I have... fairly few friends. You, and Princess Luna. Princess Cadance, when I see her."

Princess Twilight sat upright, and looked at Celestia in disbelief. "Really? How?! You're so amazing, how can you not have any friends?"

A wry smile spread across Princess Celestia's lips, and she shook her head. "It's because I am so amazing. It's who I am, Princess Celestia. It is difficult to meet new ponies without them bowing and groveling at my hooves."

"You could... change into a normal pony. Well, I don't mean that you're abnormal or anything, but... into a pegasus or a unicorn. Then nopony would recognize you. You could be just another pony.”

Celestia put on an obviously fake frown. "Princess Twilight Sparkle! You know very well that a friendship cannot be based on deception."

Twilight was glad that theatrics like that frown no longer sent her into a panic. She leaned lightly against Princess Celestia again. "You should try it, though."

Princess Celestia closed her eyes, and her horn glowed faintly. Twilight tried to avoid looking at every trace and thread of magic as the spell was woven, and just enjoy the work of art that was Princess Celestia's casting. It only took a few moments before the grand, regal Princess she was leaning against shrunk, her wings disappearing and her body changing to that of a normal, white unicorn mare, with a pink mane.

Celestia opened her eyes, and looked up at Twilight Sparkle. She blinked, and then laughed her in usual muted, elegant style. "How strange to have to look upward to meet a pony's eyes."

Twilight burst into giggles and hugged Celestia gently. "That won't work, you still sound like Princess Celestia. It's so strange seeing another pony talk like that!"

"I believe I've quite forgotten how to speak any other way." Celestia smiled at Twilight's laughter, always happy to see her friend in good spirits.

Princess Twilight sudden smiled a bit deviously, and stood up from the cushion, spreading her wings and taking a formal stance. "Then I, Princess Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville, decree that I will take on a new student, er..." Twilight took a moment to think, looking bashful at her hesitation. "Sun... Shine. Sunshine."

The unicorn on the cushion raised an eyebrow, but with an amused smile on her lips.

"Yes, Sunshine! That's a perfectly normal name. I will teach her everything about friendship, just like I learned about it just a few years ago. Assuming she accepts her apprenticeship."

Sunshine stood up, and then bowed at Princess Twilight's hooves. "Very well, Princess Twilight. I would love to be your student in this."

Princess Twilight laughed again, and hugged Sunshine for a moment. "Well, our first lesson is checking on the kitchen staff, because I'm hungry for a midnight snack."

Sunshine laughed with a more genuine sound than usual, and the two trotted happily together out into the castle, neither quite sure how long their little game would last.

PreviousChapters Next