• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 886 Views, 107 Comments

Half-Hour Horses - HoofAndQuill



A collection of short prompt-based stories, from Thirty Minute Ponies.

  • ...
2
 107
 886

PreviousChapters Next
I Don't Care Too Much For Money [Sad]

(The Prompt: What fires stir in this lonely hearth?)

(Warning, a bit sad I guess?)

"You're sure you don't want to come over? After the Cutie Mark Crusa--"

"I don't care about them!" Diamond Tiara took a moment to stop and stomp her hoof defiantly. She shook her head after, even as she calmed down. "So what if they always make us look stupid? But no, I'm going home. We've got homework anyway."

Silver Spoon opened her mouth to protest, but then shook her head and just waved to Diamond Tiara, trotting off down the road toward her own home. Diamond Tiara watched her friend walk for a few seconds, and then turned toward her own home. She walked through the gate, and then closed it behind her, starting to trot down the paved pathway to the front entrance. The garden wasn't terribly impressive in the middle of winter, all the foliage was dead and brown, and most of it was covered by week-old snow. The path had been swept clear however, thank Celestia for maidservants.

Diamond Tiara looked up at the house as she came closer. No lights in any of the windows, though it was still mid afternoon, so there wasn't much need for it. A thin trail of smoke dwindled out of the main chimney, which was at least a possible good sign, though she knew she was getting her hopes up for nothing.

She fished around in her saddlebag for a moment, and found the small key, unlocking the front door and walking inside without so much as wiping her hooves. Bits of snow and just a small amount of mud flaked from her hooves for the first few steps, but she was certain the maid would get it. The house was silent, of course. Diamond Tiara walked through the foyer and into the parlor. There, on the table, were two notes.

Diamond Tiara -

I have a big deal to work on this evening with representatives from Canterlot's biggest retail chain. Make sure you eat your dinner and get your homework done. I'll be back in the late evening.

-Dad

Little Tiara -

While your father is out working on his business, I'm taking a trip to Manehatten for a few days. Don't worry, I'll buy you something nice, you'll be thrilled. Don't go into my jewelry, and do see if you can get your father to at least be home when I return, won't you?

-Golden Tiara

Diamond Tiara set the letters back down on the table, and trotted out of the parlor and into the servant kitchen. It was quiet and still, and so clean that the maidservants must have already finished their work for the day. On the counter was a very elaborate and expensive looking salad, containing only the most select and expensive fruits and vegetables from Ponyville.

A few moments later, she trotted into the study with a bowl of ice cream from the ice cellar, balanced on her back. The study held the main fireplace, with a few smoldering embers still glowing in it. The maid must have set the fire before she left, and with the stone floor on the first level of the house, there was no real concern over sparks causing a bigger fire.

Diamond Tiara sat down, in front of the hearth, and shrugged her saddlebags to the floor beside her. The silence of the house grew heavy around her, only slightly alleviated by the occasional pop and sizzle of the fire. She ate her ice cream with a dour expression on her face, not even able to enjoy the treat today.

She pushed the bowl aside when she was done, and pulled out her homework for the night. Just an essay, which wasn't too much to think about, and certainly wasn't beyond the ability of a pony like Diamond Tiara. It was so boringly easy, in fact, that she considered just pushing it off till later and practicing her jewelry working. But as fun as her special talent was, it wouldn't be interesting without her beautiful mother there to model the finished creation, or her smart, business-minded father to carefully wager as to the piece's value at market.

So, instead, she laid out her homework on the hearth stone below her hooves. A single page essay, nothing too taxing. She looked at the topic. There, in cheery, obviously-for-foals writing, was the assignment. "Family is an important part of every pony's life, whether by birth or by adoption. Describe all the fun you have with your family below!"

Diamond Tiara gave the paper a flat look, as though she could will the stupid question to be less stupid. Miss Cheerilee, for all her strengths as a teacher, tended to treat them all like little foals. Aside from that, Diamond Tiara was tempted to just scrawl "What family?" and leave it at that, but of course she couldn't do that.

She lay forward a bit, resting her head on top of her paper, and trying to think as the embers in the fireplace just barely warmed her coat. She closed her eyes, and thought back to when she was younger. It got harder and harder to remember right, every time she did it. But there was still enough there.

It wouldn't do to have the fillies and colts at school thinking her life was anything but perfect. She was Diamond Tiara, she had to be perfect. She picked up a pencil in her mouth, tested the point against the paper, and then started writing. It was easy, now that she'd set her mind to it. She knew what it was supposed to say, she knew what Cheerilee wanted to read.

She wrote about how her father helped her with her homework, and how she and her mother went on walks together and spent time together working on their crafts. She wrote about the friendly maids and servants that always helped out around the house and were always so kind and familial to her.

She wrote about the happiest family in the world, while ignoring her own glistening eyes and damp cheeks.

PreviousChapters Next