• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 886 Views, 107 Comments

Half-Hour Horses - HoofAndQuill



A collection of short prompt-based stories, from Thirty Minute Ponies.

  • ...
2
 107
 886

PreviousChapters Next
Every Morning [Slice of Life, Shipping]

(Prompt: Getting Up early)

Pinkie Pie awoke early, to the muted sounds of mixing bowls and baking pans downstairs. She rolled over on her back, and looked up into the dark room. It was too early, but she HAD too wake up too early, that's just how it was!

Most ponies woke up with the sun, which was probably what Princess Celestia wanted. But Pinkie Pie didn't have time to wait that long, even if two weeks ago she did. Pinkie rolled out of bed and shook herself all over. Giggling, she trotted lightly over to her mirror, and ran her brush through her mane a few times. It never really straightened it out, but if she didn't, it'd just be even more tangled.

Gummy was still asleep, and Pinkie just carefully set him next to the window so the morning sunshine would warm him up. She trotted out of the room, but was careful not to make too much noise. Mister and Misses cake were awake and downstairs, but the babies weren't, and waking them up was always a huge mess.

Mrs. Cake smiled at Pinkie as she came down the stairs, and Pinkie smiled back. "Hi, Mrs. Cake!"

"Hello, Pinkie. Up early again?"

"You know it, Mrs. Cake! Ooh! Can I have one of those?" Pinkie asked as a formality before nabbing one of the warm cinnamon rolls from the cooling rack. Mrs. Cake hardly seemed to mind, and just smiled knowingly at Pinkie as the mare hopped happily on her way out of the door.

Ponyville was a very different place in the early morning. Where normally all of Pinkie's friends would be out trotting around and enjoying the sunny weather, this time of morning everything was super quiet. The Cakes had to wake up early to bake treats for the ponies that woke up at the usual time, and a few other lights were on here and there. But for most of Ponyville, the day hadn't started yet.

Which was great, because this was the kind of party that didn't need a lot of guests!

Pinkie had taken a while to learn that not every pony always wanted fun and excitement and balloons and streamers and stuff like that. But it was an important lesson to learn! She wanted to be the best party pony in Equestria, sure, but the important part was making ponies happy with her parties. If that meant some parties had to be quiet and private, that was fine too.

Golden Oak Library was a pretty distinctive building, and it always made Pinkie Pie smile to see the big tree growing in the middle of Ponyville. She trotted her way up to the front door, and pushed it open slowly and carefully. It didn't make any noise, which was good, she didn't want to wake anypony. She walked inside and closed it behind her.

The library was a little creepy when it was dark and quiet. But Pinkie had been here like this enough times that it didn't bother her. She crept quietly up the stairs, and giggled almost silently at the baby dragon laying lazily in his little bed. Twilight's bed was empty, which it should be. Pinkie walked carefully over to the door to the balcony.

Princess Twilight Sparkle smiled when she saw Pinkie. She smiled a lot more lately. Pinkie giggled and walked over, sitting next to the alicorn princess. It was still dark, but there was a thin orange line on the horizon, and Pinkie smiled knowing that she'd gotten here just in time.

She didn't even know about Twilight doing this until a couple weeks ago, but she'd been coming home late from a party that ran all night, and she had seen Twilight up here. Twilight had looked so lonely up on the balcony all by herself, and Pinkie had climbed up to join her. Something in her friend's face had told her to be quiet, and so she had.

But Twilight had smiled, then, and Pinkie knew it was okay.

So now Pinkie was here again, for the thirteenth morning in a row. She sat next to Twilight, and the two ponies looked over the side of the balcony at the glow on the horizon. The sun, bright and orange and beautiful, crested the horizon, and the light shone brightly over the thatched roofs and rolling hills of Ponyville.

Twilight watched as though mesmerized, and Pinkie giggled quietly and nuzzled Twilight's neck. This elicited a giggle from the princess, and she hugged her friend close. They never said anything while they watched the sun rise, and that was okay. Some friends just wanted to have peace and quiet, and maybe even some really special friends, like Twilight Sparkle.

They hadn't said it yet, but Pinkie wasn't born yesterday. She could see how much Twilight liked having her here. Twilight never looked lonely in the morning anymore, and even other times she was always so happy to see Pinkie. The past two weeks had been nice, getting up early to sit here with Twilight, and now every time she saw Twilight, there was that special little twinkle in her eye of shared secrets and time spent together.

Pinkie hugged her friend close, and giggled quietly again. Maybe it would take a little while for Twilight to see it too, but Pinkie could wait. A good special somepony was always worth any kind of wait, and Twilight Sparkle was the best special somepony ever.

PreviousChapters Next