• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 886 Views, 107 Comments

Half-Hour Horses - HoofAndQuill



A collection of short prompt-based stories, from Thirty Minute Ponies.

  • ...
2
 107
 886

PreviousChapters Next
Worth Every Fight [Romance]

(The Prompt: Four ways I’ve let you down.)

Yes, Applejack, darling, I know I haven't been the perfect girlfriend.

Not that you should have expected as much. We both know that there is quite a lot of difference between us, even if we are friends. Or were.

I know that I'm not as... honest, as you'd like me to be. But really, how could anypony match up to you, of all ponies, in that regard? Certainly, ladies shouldn't lie, exactly, but one must always know precisely how to tell the truth. That is to say, tell the truth in precisely the way that sounds the best. To anypony else, that would simply be a little manipulative, perhaps annoyingly so, but to you... I never wanted to see that kind of hurt your eyes, darling, and you know that I would never have said those things if I had known what it would do to you.

In the arguments that followed, I tried, dear, to be honest with you. Perhaps not as bluntly honest as you would have liked, but I promise you that every... slight misdirection was entirely meant to make things better! You and I both know that I would never lie to you about the things that truly matter, the words that are truly important. You must believe me, I would never intentionally hurt you.

Yes, and I know that I'm not quite as rugged as you like. But of course you knew that before all this... unfortunate circumstance. I was never the type to muddy my hooves with farm work, or enjoy a 'hoof wrassle' or some other such silly game in the outdoors. You know that I would help with your work if I could, but I have my own work to tend to, even if it hardly seems like work in comparison.

Oh don't give me that look, I am not trying to say it's every bit as physically exhausting as kicking trees all day, but you must know that there are other types of effort. I do take the time to visit during cider season and assist your grandam with her sorting. What? It means grandmother, darling.

Applejack, yes, I know. I haven't been as happy as you'd hoped. Darling, neither of us expected this to be a perfect relationship. We've had our difficulties as friends, before this, and we shall continue to have our difficulties as lovers. Ah-ah, I won't hear a word of it! Nopony can love another without arguments and disagreements, and we most certainly have those. I know that I am not entirely to blame for all of it, and you know that you aren't either. But even if you don't believe any other word I say, know that I am much happier than you think I am. Perhaps I don't whoop and holler like you do about it, but I would not give up what we have for any other pony in Equestria.

That leads me to the last thing that I know has disappointed you, dear.

Do you recall it, darling? On our very first date, you told me that should this ever become too difficult, or if, and I believe I'm recalling your phrasing correctly, "this datin' thing don't quite work out th' way we're thinkin'", that I should find another pony who might make me happier.

Stop laughing at my impression and listen to me, Applejack!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you down again, as I absolutely refuse to find another mare. I know this hasn't been as easy as we'd hoped, and that there have been tears for both of us. No, darling, you couldn't hide it. I knew, we all knew. But you are my one and only love, and I will not hear another word from you about splitting apart to make me happier.

I may not always tell the truth as plainly as you'd like, and I may not be able to help harvest from the orchard. You rarely brush your mane and quite honestly could probably stand to wash your coat more often. But despite all your protestations to the contrary, you do make me very happy. I refuse to even consider finding another mare, darling. If that disappoints you, then I suggest we simply add it to the list.

Yes, Applejack, I love you too. I always will.

PreviousChapters Next