• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 4,367 Views, 82 Comments

Spike and Rainbow Dash - winzaur

  • ...
16
 82
 4,367

Chapter 10 The morning after

Rainbow was flying through the skies over Ponyville when suddenly she was being attacked by a batch of Pinkie’s most famous cupcakes. She managed to defeat these flying confections by swatting them away with her trusty purple pillow and after an amazingly epic battle, Rainbow stood atop the wreckage of paper wrappers and clutched her pillow triumphantly. “Oh pillow!” she said, gazing at her pillow intently, “Promise me you’ll never bash cupcakes without me?"

“mrghmmff,”

“Say wha…?” Rainbow said, not actually expecting a response from the pillow.

“Cant… Breathe….” Spike said as Rainbow continued to hold his head in a death grip.

“Rainbow immediately dropped Spike and landed upside down on the roof “Oh, hey Spike,” she said, feigning casualness. “How’s it hanging?”

“Apparently not as well as it is for you,” Spike smirked looking up at her. “Fighting monsters in your sleep eh? You win?” Rainbow smiled,

“Have I ever lost?”

“Well wasn’t there this incident where you tried to falcon kick a dragon…” Spike said laughing as Rainbow slowly came down from the roof of her house, a blush now present on her cheeks.

“Hush you. You should probably go see Twilight, she didn’t seem so happy yesterday.” She said, rubbing the back of her head with her hoof as she remembered last night’s events. “I should also probably go see Rarity too…”

"This is going to be fun,” Spike sighed as Rainbow carried him down from her cloud house. “And Rainbow?”

"Yeah Spike?”

“I had a great time to last night” He smiled at her, we should do that again sometime, “It’s nice to have a great friend to hang out with.” He was still a little fuzzy on the details of the night before and wasn’t sure how Rainbow (or himself for that matter) felt about each other. “Well, I’ll see you later then! Good luck with Rarity.”

“Same to you with Twilight,” Rainbow watched as Spike walked down the road towards the center of Ponyville and sighed. She of course remembered most of last night, and realized it was going to be a lot harder for her to confront Rarity than it would be for Spike to confront Twilight. “Well,” she said to herself, “Here goes everything.”

As Spike continued on into Ponyville, he found himself walking slower and slower as his mind was trying very hard to piece together the bits of his time with Rainbow at SugarCube Corner. He vaguely remembered going to get some food with her, Pinkie offering one of her inventions to him and after that things started to get a little hazy. ‘Did I do something?’ Spike remembered that Rarity and Twilight were there and that something happened between Rarity and Rainbow if the conversation this morning was anything to be believed. ‘What happened last night…? I remember we were eating and laughing and telling stories. Something about a box…’ as his memory started to return, Spike became more and more aware of something. “I almost kissed Rainbow.” Spike said. “Well bu-”

“Hi Spikey!” Pinkie said, “Whatcha doing?”

“Hi Pinkie, I’m just heading back to the library to see Twilight, what are you doing?” He asked, slightly annoyed at being interrupted in his thoughts.

“Welllllll, I’m just watching a dragon walk into the corner of SugarCube Corner and create a little rut, and before that I was coming back from the library after a fun night of stalking Twilight and Rarity, did you know she hasn’t left the library yet? And then I was cleaning out the different barrels of my party arsenal and then before that you Rainbow Twilight and Rarity were here and then you all left without saying bye.” Pinkie smiled at Spike whose eyes had rolled back into his head from the sheer amount of information that had been thrown at him. “Did you come back to say bye?”

“Wait… Rarity is still with Twilight?”

___________

Rarity was having the most wonderful dream.

She was at her wedding, waiting at the altar for the stallion of her dreams to walk down the aisle. Oddly instead of wearing a normal white dress, she was wearing a lavender coloured wedding dress. She was also a little perplexed because instead of in Ponyville where she pictured her wedding, she was in fact, in the throne room in Canterlot. Celestia herself was presiding over the wedding and Princess Luna was playing the organ except instead of the actual wedding music she was playing what appeared to be the theme music to one of her favourite ponybox games. However as the music got louder Rarity focused on the aisle to see the wonderful handmade suit and the wonderful groom Twilight.

Wait.

Twilight?

The pony in question was currently still cuddled up to Rarity when the screams started. She vaguely remembered doing the projection equation for a falling body if launched at a 45 degree angle as she was flung into the air. She calculated, that by her current speed she would impact upon a bookshelf with a downward force of mgcos(45) discounting the normal air resistance. With her calculation she was able to levitate something that was softer in the way right before she hit the bookshelf, unfortunately for the screaming Rarity, this object was in fact, the bed.

‘Take that everyone who said math was boring!’ She smiled to herself as she lowered the bed and snuggled onto her pillow.

Rarity, having finally calmed down, looked around in confusion, “This isn’t my bed, this isn’t a bed at all.” Continuing her scan of the room, “Oh there’s the bed I was sleeping in, with Twilight, I was sleeping with Twilight.” She calmly proceeded to stand up from the floor and slowly walk towards the door. “I am perfectly okay with this,” She said as she reached the door. Once she got outside she looked around, saw the coast was clear, and screamed her way back to the boutique.

Twilight, along with the majority of Equestria, heard the second set of screams and finally decided that now was a good time to get out of bed. She went over the events of last night in the same way that she went over absolutely everything that she did. She panicked, sprinted to the mental health and emotions section of the library, pulled every book off the shelf and started reading.

___________

Rainbow was slowly flapping on her way to see Rarity in the boutique. Like Spike, she was lost in thought about the previous night’s events and decided that before she should see Rarity, she should pay a visit to her good friend Fluttershy. Despite her outwardly quiet nature or perhaps because of it, Fluttershy was one of the best listeners in the group and Rainbow’s oldest friend. As she crossed the bridge leading to her friend’s cottage, she heard the sound of faint humming flow out of the small house. Rainbow smiled as she knocked on the door causing the humming to stop and the cottage to elicit a small squeak. “W-w-w who is it?” Fluttershy said, nearly inaudible.

“It’s me Fluttershy,” Rainbow said, “Can I come in?”

“Oh of course Rainbow,” she replied, “I’m sorry the place is so messy, oh I hope you don’t mind.” Rainbow looked around looking at the spotless room.

“Right… anyways, Fluttershy, I was hoping to talk to you about some strange feelings I’ve been having.”

Fluttershy started blushing, “Well Rainbow, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much…”

“What?! No! Not like that, it was more I may have started to have feelings for somedra- someone.” Rainbow caught herself, trying extremely hard to not give away her confused feelings for Spike. “I think I may like him more than a friend.” At this Fluttershy stopped blushing and looked quizzically at Rainbow. Rainbow sighed and looked down at the ground, “I’m just so confused about it…”

“Well Rainbow, have you talked to him about this?”

“I’m scared I’ll lose him as a friend if he says no. What if he rejects me?” Rainbow said, getting closer and closer to the ground with each word. “We’re just so different, I’m a pegasus, he’s a dragon…” She stopped realizing her mistake. As Rainbow slowly turned to Fluttershy she expected a myriad of different responses, all centered around making fun of her, but instead received a small smile and a,

“Awww that’s so sweet Rainbow,” Fluttershy said, “Spike is one of the most understanding dragons I know, I’m sure he won’t hate you or stop talking to you if he says no. Why don’t you think it over for a few days? ”

“Thanks Fluttershy, that’s a great help. Also I may have kinda pissed Rarity off a bit so if you see her at the spa or something in the odd chance I don’t find her, could you maybe tell her I overreacted a bit to her. I was drunk. Also I was a little confused about her and Twilight cuddled up so if you could ask her about that that would be great.” Rainbow said, a smile now gracing her features as she turned to leave the cottage. “Bye Fluttershy!”

“Bye Rainbow and I will!” Fluttershy said, ‘Wait, what was that about Twilight and Rarity?’