• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 4,367 Views, 82 Comments

Spike and Rainbow Dash - winzaur

  • ...
16
 82
 4,367

Chapter 2

“So I was just doing this crazy new stunt I developed for the best young flyers competition when Spike and the ground here decided to gang up on me.”

“And I was just pacing here deciding how to ask Rarity out when…” Spike got quiet, finally remembering what happened before this whole mess. “Oh, Rarity” His face instantly fell as he sat down in a little ball. Now while Twilight was and is an extremely awkward individual, when her little brother was sad she could pick up on it instantly. Keep in mind that she didn’t really know what to do, but it’s the thought that counts right?

“Oh Spike, come inside. Rainbow I guess if Spike doesn’t mind you can come to.” As Rainbow had just been standing there awkwardly pawing the ground.

“I don’t mind, I could use the company I guess…”

“Perfect, let’s head inside.” Twilight said, leading the way into the comfort of the library. Her head was still trying to puzzle out what exactly could be bothering the little drake, he was usually so cheerful after seeing Rarity. “So Spike what happened over there? I pushed you out of the library and then the next thing I can see is a giant crater in front of the house.”

“Yeah that one was kinda my fault…” Rainbow said sheepishly, rubbing a hoof behind her head. “Like I was saying earlier, I was working on a new stunt for the competition when I kinda-sorta-maybe crashed into Spike and the ground while approaching the speed of light.” Twilight stared at Rainbow and Spike for a few seconds.

“How are you two alive?”

“Not important, anyways, Spike heard about the flyers competition from me and I guess wanted to take Rarity to it. He can probably fill you in on the rest of it since I spent the last part of my day dodging zombie killing lasers.” Rainbow said with a snort glaring at Twilight who attempted to look at anything else that wasn't cyan and rainbow like in nature. “Well Spike. Spill,”

“She wants to go as friends.” Both mares looked at the dragon in confusion. “As FRIENDS guys, not as drakefriend and marefriend but just as plain old regular friends.” Twilight still looked very confused by Rainbow seemed to catch on a little quicker.

“Ohhhh” She said, looking at Spike sympathetically. “She friendzoned you. Rough luck Spike.”

Twilight of course, had no idea what that meant. “So she just wants to go as friends, isn’t that normal? I mean, did you ask her to go in a different way?”

Spike was naturally a little flustered by this, “Of course I did! I asked her if she wanted to go to the competition with me and she said sure! I couldn’t have made it clearer.”

“So that’s a no on the whole asking her specifically thing.” Twilight said, “You assume she’s a mind reader then? What have you done to get her to go out with you besides being nice to her. You got to earn it Spike!”

“Hey yeah that’s a great idea Twi,” Rainbow said, “Spike, I’ll train you to help your game with the ladies and I can totally get you to help me with my stunts namely telling me when I need to pull up and stupid technical stuff like ‘Rainbow there’s a building in front of you’ it’ll be totally great!”

“You’d do that Rainbow?” Spike said with some hope in his eyes, “That’ll be great, with you as my wingpony I can get all the mares!” Twilight was not very happy about this.

“The only thing you’re getting right now mister is a broom and a shovel. You’re going to fill in this hole you made.” Twilight said. Rainbow was trying to make her escape at the same time when Twilight lit up her horn and pulled Rainbow back into the tree and said “That goes for you too missy. This crater comes from your disregard for physics as well as his.”

“Awwww Twilight do we have to?” They both said in unison trying to make puppy dog eyes at Twilight to little success. How Twilight managed to defeat the combined cuteness of a puppy dog Rainbow Dash and a puppy dog Spike is still a mystery. But by the end of the struggle with the shovel and broom, the crater was filled and Spike had a new ally in his quest for the ultimate goal of all males. To escape the friendzone.

Before that came dinner though, and since Rainbow didn’t have time to order hay fries for herself, she ended up ordering hay fries with Twilight and Spike. Twilight had of course attempted to make some food while Spike and Rainbow were filling in the hole but somehow managed to set water on fire. This led to the quick and speedy delivery of hay fries to the treehouse, being a princess also helped in that regard. Twilight was still a little puzzled by this whole friendzone thing and decided the most logical way to figure it out, was to open a book. She then kicked Rainbow and Spike out of the living area so that she could read in peace. “What do you wanna do now?” Spike said, looking around to see if there was anything they could do while Twilight went full bookworm on them.

“Duh,” Rainbow said, “We begin your training young grasshopper. First you must snatch the bit from my hoof.” She maintained a straight face for all of 2 minutes before bursting out into laughter. Spike of course was a little let down by this as he was fully ready to snatch any bit from anyone’s hoof but decided it wasn’t a good idea to bother Rainbow especially since she was now his mentor in the fine art of mares. “Seriously though Spike, first we start with the basics. What do you like to do?”

“Well, I like to clean, and cook, and read, and write letters to my mom, and…”

“Woah woah woah, stop right there bub, you can’t win mares’ hearts like that! You gotta show some backbone, some pizazz. A wow factor! Mares like adventure and daring and awesomeness. You gotta toughen up, maybe do some radical stunts to get her attention.” Rainbow said, completely caught up in her rant. “Now show me your best tough guy face.”

“Grar?”

“Tougher!”

“Grarrrr…?”

“TOUGHER!”

Spike took a massively deep breath. “grarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr”, needless to say Rainbow was not that impressed but the little guy was probably tired and being rammed into the ground at a fair fraction of the speed of light is nobody’s picnic so she decided to give him a break.

“Not bad Spike, but you need to be as awesome as this to get with all the mares. I’ll meet up with you bright and early at noonish tomorrow to work on our stuff. K? I’m out. See ya round Spike!” And with that Rainbow took off in a streak towards her giant floating cloud house.

“Wait… isn’t noonish kinda late to be bright and early…?” Spike shrugged his shoulders and went upstairs to his basket to try and get some sleep. ‘Got a big day tomorrow, better be ready for it’ he thought to himself. Tomorrow was a new day and his training with Rainbow would begin. Who knows, it might even be fun.