• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 4,367 Views, 82 Comments

Spike and Rainbow Dash - winzaur

  • ...
16
 82
 4,367

Chapter 3

This was it, the first day of Spike’s training. He felt as if every moment of his existence had been building up to this point. Every part of him was exhilarated and ready to go. The only problem was that it was 4:56 in the morning and he hadn’t fallen asleep yet. He tried pacing, he tried a glass of warm milk, a bowl of rubies and sapphires, but nothing seemed to work in putting him to sleep. He looked back at the clock, 4:58. How was he supposed to have any energy tomorrow when Rainbow put him through her death defying training. He was supposed to meet her in 7 hours! There was no way he’d be rested enough for that. Spike had to think quickly, racing downstairs as fast as he could, he came across a strange drink that he saw Twilight drink when she was doing her late night study bonanzas. Plastered on the tin in big red letters was the warning DO NOT GIVE TO PINKIE PIE. ‘This could be interesting’ thought Spike, ‘I wonder what this stuff does’.

3 hours later

Twilight woke up at 8 am sharp every day and today was no different. She got up, went to the bathroom to brush her mane and teeth and was about to jump in the shower when she heard a noise. She slowly raised her head up and saw Spike staring at her from the top of the shower curtain. “HiThereTwilightIFoundThisSuperFunDrinkThatYouHad” he said, at this point Twilight decided that she had had enough of today and slowly walked back towards her bed. She crept back under the covers and closed her eyes. Unfortunately the busy body in Twilight would not allow this to happen for very long, she opened her eyes and there she found that sitting on top her, was Spike.

“THIS DRINK IS AMAZING! I FEEL LIKE I CAN TAKE ON THE WORLDDDDDDD” Spike shouted as he ran across the room, jumping over bookshelves, baskets and really anything that happened to be in his path. As he reached his tenth circuit of the room, Twilight, finally awake enough to do something, summoned her magic and stopped him from completely destroying the room. Of course this only meant that Spike stopped moving forward and was in fact, simply running in mid-air.

“Spike, calm down.” Twilight said, trying her very best to contain the small dragon who was, for the first time in his life, experiencing a caffeine high. “Now I’m going to put you down in the closet for a couple hours ok? No breaking through the walls or anything.” After shoving the dragon in the small cupboard that she used as a closet and waiting several hours, Twilight finally had a solution to deal with the overly energetic dragon. Make Rainbow deal with. It was almost noon and Twilight needed some peace and quiet. She loved the dragon dearly but sometimes it was a little much being a princess and the head librarian of an extremely busy library. Maybe the extremely busy library was a stretch but she used it quite thoroughly and it required her constant care and attention. So after liberating Spike from the closet she managed to levitate him to the ground outside the door, shutting it quickly so as to prevent him from returning.

Ponies in Ponyville were in for a treat today. One hyper active pink party pony was enough, now there was a dragon on one of the most dangerous substances in Equestria.

Coffee.

Spike on the other hand, was having the time of his life. He felt as if he was faster, stronger and more agile then before. He also felt that the world was moving in slow motion and that he had to find a spirit walrus to guide him on his quest to find the lost key of power. But that was probably just a feeling he was having. No, Spike was on top of the world and was on a quest to find Rainbow Dash to learn the ancient art of mares. If only he could find her. She was usually asleep on a cloud, usually shaped into something as flashy as she was. In this case, Spike found a giant swordfish in the sky and at the top of his lungs shouted,

“Rainbow!” This of course caused the mare in question to panic, fall off of the cloud, break out into the legendary art of fight flying and land gracefully with a well-timed,

“Sup”

“You said to be here by noon and here I am,” Spike said with a big smile on his face. If there’s one thing that Twilight taught him, always be on time.

"Yeah yeah, don’t worry about it. Anyways we’re gonna start with me. I need the sun to be able to do the super awesome tricks that we’ll win me that competition. So here’s the plan, Spike, you stay here and time me during the routine. I’ll do the routine and you can tell me how awesome it was. Ok?” Rainbow said with a smile. “Also you know, make sure me and the ground have a healthy distance between each other.”

“You got it boss!” Spike said, getting himself ready for the show. Rainbow launched herself into the air with a flourish, gaining altitude rapidly. When she judged that she had reached the appropriate height, she said,

“Ready or not here I go!” And with that she began the routine. Whipping round and round, corkscrews and loops, death defying drops and perfectly shaped parabolas, Rainbow did stunt after stunt as Spike watched in awe from the ground. He occasionally shouted a warning or cheered after a particularly great feat but for the most part just watched in awe. At one point Rainbow stopped dead in the middle of the sky in preparation for her last trick. Spike gazed in wonder as he took in every detail, the sunlight hitting her rainbow coloured mane, the look of intensity and pure bliss that took up her face as she prepared for the grand finale. He was so distracted, that he almost missed it. As Rainbow began her dive, Spike was shaken out of his stupor and did some quick mental calculations in his head. ‘She’s not going to make the pull out’ he thought, his face growing more and more worried. As Rainbow rocketed towards him he made one extremely quick decision. He jumped.
Rainbow was completely lost in the dive when she saw the ground approaching. She knew that she wouldn’t have enough time to pull out and braced herself when suddenly, she felt an impact in her side. Throwing up her hooves to protect her head, Rainbow and the object tumbled in the air until they both collided into a tree. The tree was cut in half, however, Rainbow was slowed enough that she hit the ground at a safe enough speed to survive.

Within a couple minutes, ponies from the town came to investigate all the commotion. Several trees had been knocked over, and there was a large gash in the ground when Rainbow had impacted. When they got there, they saw a peculiar sight. Rainbow and Spike were both clutching each other and curled into a small little ball. At first the crowd thought they were injured as they were both shaking so much. Then, as they got closer, they saw and heard, laughter. Grumbling to themselves, the towns ponies went back to their homes complaining about how they had to live in this strange town.

“That…Was….AWESOME!” Rainbow said, picking Spike up and spinning him around. “Did you see that dive, oh man and your save was all like whoosh and then pow into those trees. Man Spike, you are awesome.” Rainbow continued to rant about the stunt and how Spike had saved the day even though she totally had it covered. Spike just nodded to himself all the while feeling very proud to have saved the day, “If Rarity had seen that Spike, ooo you would be running through the town like a mad dragon.”

“Yeah… hey Rainbow can we go sit down somewhere… I think I’m going to be sick with all this crashing and making craters.” Spike said, starting to become more green and less purple.

“Good idea Spike, lets hit SugarCube Corner, Pinkie has got to hear this.”