• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 4,367 Views, 82 Comments

Spike and Rainbow Dash - winzaur

  • ...
16
 82
 4,367

Chapter 5

Rainbow was up before the first rooster crowed at the sun; this was surprising as Rainbow Dash was never seen around the town before the sun came up. But today was different. Today Rainbow leapt out of bed with energy she had never had before. Tank was startled; his friend was never up this early. He looked up at her slowly and began to smile at Rainbow. Rainbow looked down at him and smiled back and said, “Morning buddy, how’d you sleep?” Tank simply nodded his head in happiness and started to prepare for his busy day. He intended to get all the way to the kitchen today! “Well buddy, I got to get going, have a busy day today! Bye Tank.” Rainbow zoomed out of her house and headed to her now favourite cloud.

Spike’s morning was eventful to say the least, after waking up; Spike had to clean the entire library. It turns out feathers and glue are extremely difficult to get out of hardwood floors and walls. All of the books were spared of the carnage of the prank though. Twilight was marginally calmer especially after hearing about Spike’s day. In fact, when Spike told her about it, she seemed to get an extremely huge smile and started giggling to herself. Spike brushed it off as partial insanity due to insane amounts of word intake.

“That’s it Twi, I’m finished with all my chores and I’ve cleaned up the library.” Spike said with a spring in his step. “I’m going to see Rainbow now.”

“Ok Spike, don’t be out too late, or if you are, send me a scroll ok?” Twilight said, with that smile still plastered on her face.

“Sure thing Twilight, I’ll be back later.” He said as he ran out the door.

‘Oh they grow up so fast’ Twilight thought as she watched her number one assistant and little brother run out the door. ‘If only he stopped pursuing Rarity he’d have so much more fun with his life. Although… I haven’t really seen him around her really. Hmmmm. Maybe I should go ask her.’ With that last thought, Twilight went off to see Rarity to ask about Spike.

“Rarity? Are you home?” Twilight said as she reached her friends shop. “I let myself in considering it’s a shop and all. The sign said open…”

“Just a second darling!” Rarity called from a backroom in the boutique. “Ah, dear Twilight, how can I help you this fine morning?” She asked, curious as to why Twilight would come visit her so randomly. Usually with Twilight, the most impromptu meetings were scheduled 3 weeks in advance.

“Hey Rarity, I was just wondering if Spike has been here at all these last few days? I’m just curious as he seems to spend all of his time with Dash; I was hoping you knew something about that. I keep getting this feeling that something is going on between those two.” Twilight then went on to explain the different pranks that Rainbow and Spike pulled as well as the lunch/date that Pinkie was so excited about.

“Well he hasn’t been here Twilight. In fact, I haven’t really seen Spike since he asked me to come with you and the girls to the best young flyers competition. Do you think that he may be developing a crush on Rainbow?” Rarity said, quite surprised to recall that Spike hadn’t actually been spending as much time on her as he used to. It was kind of hurtful in some regards but she was also proud of the little drake for moving on to other prospects. “It’s quite possible after all, those two are quite similar.”

Twilight considered this for a couple of moments before shaking her head, “I just don’t get it Rarity, I always thought that Spike had a crush on yo-” at that moment Pinkie’s head appeared on one of Rarity’s mannequins shouting “FOREVERRRRR” –“yogurt, yes yogurt. Spike has a crush on yogurt.” Twilight hastily corrected herself as no one breaks a Pinkie Promise. Rarity of course, was not as blind as Twilight would have hoped, but didn’t see any reason to acknowledge the crush. The truth was that she had known about it for such a long time that she just ended up using it to her advantage.

“Righttt, well dear, I guess we will just have to find out about Spike and Rainbow Dash. If this is true, then we will have to do everything in our power to meddle until the two are happily together!” Rarity declared as her romantic side came out in full force. Already plans were rocketing through her head, giving makeovers to Rainbow, organizing romantic picnics and such. She did not, however, remember who she was talking about, and that the events she wanted to create were more likely to create tension between the two then create anything productive. Oh well, such is love. “Come Twilight, we must prepare. I declare project SPIKEDASH a go!”

“Well… if you think that it’s a good idea…” Twilight was not so sure about this whole thing but she did want her friends to be happy, and if this got Spike to stop obsessing over Rarity, he might be more productive in his studies. “But Rarity, do you even like Spike a little bit?”

“Well of course I like my little Spikey-Wikey, but unfortunately not in the way he would want it. Alas, I could never be with a dragon, even if he is a prince. No I am saving myself for a nice pony.” Rarity said, confident that the dragon in question would never here that phrase. Unfortunately for her, he did.

Spike had been walking towards the spot where he was supposed to meet Rainbow when he saw Twilight going into the boutique. Being the curious dragon he is, he stopped to have a listen and was going to announce himself when he heard that they were talking about him. He hid himself in the bushes right in front of Rarity’s boutique and tried his very hardest to listen in on the conversation. He missed the first bit of it as he was trying to find a good spot, something about him and Rainbow but then he managed to sit still for Rarity’s final line. After hearing it, he got up slowly, and trudged towards where he was supposed to meet Rainbow.

Meanwhile, Rainbow had been waiting on top of the swordfish cloud for a couple hours, not because Spike was late, but because she had been a couple hours early. She was starting to get a little impatient when she suddenly saw her favourite dragon cross over the hill. Her face lit up in a smile as soon as she was able to make out the green spikes on top of his head. However, when she looked more closely at him, she was able to see that his spikes were in fact quite droopy. He wasn’t walking with a spring in his step and he didn’t look happy at all. Rainbow zoomed towards him and said “Spike! What’s wrong, you look so down.” He looked up at her and what she saw made her mad. He was crying. Someone had made Spike, her Spike, cry. “Spike what happened?”

He told her everything, all of the things he had heard at the boutique, what Rarity had said to him, everything. “I never want to see her again, all these years she was just using me to do chores for her. She used my love and affection!” He began to cry again and Rainbow, not knowing what else to do, hugged him.