• Published 10th Nov 2013
  • 2,444 Views, 57 Comments

What You Don't Know - Flaming Pulsar



Human in Equestria lives through full canon length of time. This includes a number of interesting things happening and Discordyness.

  • ...
16
 57
 2,444

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14--Kidnapped

Author's Note:

Garbled speech self tested.

One more thing before I let you go. I am starting a new compilation (not exactly series because there is no serial order) of fics explaining the backstories of each of the significant characters in this story.

That's all for now. Keep on livin'.

Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CFnvahTluWzIYHlz0eH6Ot7cVr0cSHIhC_GXIXjXW0s/edit?usp=sharing

Chapter 14--Kidnapped

I heard voices talking about some plan and decided it would be in my benefit to listen in.

“Are you sure he’s worth the effort?” one guy--clearly male--asked.

“Of course he is. I’ve been watching him and he’s obviously a close friend of Celestia’s,” another guy--also male--responded. I’m assuming this guy is the leader. “Blaze, lower him down so we can go.”

I felt myself being lowered down from my perch. “I don’t think this is a good idea,” a third male voice said.

“Did I just here the word ‘think’ cross your lips?” the leader guy asked. “I’m not paying you to think, I’m paying you to help me start a war.” This all sounds oddly familiar. Like some movie I once watched or a book I once read. I was slung over the back of one of the guys and I remained vertical which meant that this guy was bipedal.

I heard one of the guys pacing and it sounded like talons against the wood floor. A griffin, perhaps? Upon hearing him talk, I found that it was the leader guy. “Now we need to find something to do with his companion.”

“She is relatively well known so we could take her with us to better our chances of starting the war,” the guy that wasn’t holding me said.

“I suppose that could work We only want Celestia, though, so she might cause there to be a few extra followers. No matter, do you have the griffin feathers?” Ok so not a griffin.

“Of course. Where do you want them?”

“Place a few in the booth he was sitting at. Make it look like there was a struggle.”

“Yes Vichand.” I heard the naga guy slither away and Blaze, who I deduced was the guy carrying me, and Vichand, the leader, left the room as well.

“Now then, let’s see if our prisoner is awake yet,” Vichand said. “Blaze open the sack.”

“That seems a little difficult when it’s on my back,” Blaze responded.

“Put the sack down then open it! And take his blindfold off, too.” Blaze complied. I could tell these guys probably weren’t experts because neither my hands nor my legs were tied. I didn’t fight back though because I had no idea where I was and I knew it was never a good idea to be alone in an unfamiliar place; you might get attacked and kidnapped. “Ah, hello Síor.” Vichand was a hippogriff.

I tried to tell him to go fuck himself but with a gag over my mouth, all that came out was “Mm hff rrfl.”

“Yes I imagine it’s rather difficult to talk right now. Nonetheless, you are awake now and that’s what’s important. You can now walk so we don’t have to carry you.”

“Uhn uah mms vv funh mm guughnmm frrhrr vv?”

“Oh you’ll follow because if you don’t, we’ll kill your little friend here.” How did he understand me? Wait, what friend? I then saw Vinyl tied up on Blaze’s back. I also noticed that Blaze was a dragon, albeit a small dragon, but a dragon nonetheless.

“Vvm vv mrr hugh huh!”

“We won’t hurt her as long as you obey us. Your obedience will make this much easier.” He laughed maniacally and I was tempted to punch him. The only thing that stopped me was my hands being tied. “And I am able to understand you because I have the ability to read thoughts.” I’m so fucked. “Indeed you are.”

So, can you read all thoughts or just focused thoughts?

“I can read any thoughts directed at me without any effort but should the need arise I have the ability to read even the most subconscious thoughts.”

Interesting. Is it just you or can all hippogriffs read thoughts?

“First of all, I am surprised that you even know what I am. Most races don’t even know of the existence of hippogriffs.”

Well I’m not most races.

“Indeed not. The power of telepathy is a rare one but it is spread throughout most races. I just so happen to be one of the lucky few. But enough talk, let us board our airship.” We got on a small ship with a balloon floating above it. I saw the snake-human naga already at the helm. “Naga, take us off.” He complied. “Go on Síor, take a seat. The griffin capital of Gryphus will take a few hours to get to.”

I sat and began working on the plan I had thought of. I was busying Vichand with thought conversation to distract him from my thoughts of this plan. Basically I would use my dagger, which I still kept in my shoe, to attack them when I saw an opportunity. It would be difficult to get the dagger without any of the kidnappers noticing but I could manage.

“So, how did you wind up here anyways? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like you,” the naga asked. I garbled something around my gag. “Ah, yes I forgot that you can’t talk well with that in your mouth. Hey Vichand, you think we could take the gag out of his mouth? I’d like a little conversation from our prisoner.”

The hippogriff walked over and looked at me. “I suppose. But if you try anything, you’re gonna regret it.” That last bit was directed at me. He untied the cloth over my mouth and I spit the gag out.

“Thank you,” I said. Might as well show some manners to the men that hold my fate until I escape. “To answer your question, naga, I was teleported to Ponyville by a summoning spell. Not sure what Twilight was trying to summon but I’m what came. A friend of mine had to do some stuff in Canterlot so I decided to accompany him. He went to do his stuff and I went to find something to do. I found that mare there and she brought me to the tavern where you guys drugged me and kidnapped me and her. Speaking of which, how’d you get the bartender in on your plan?”

“I find that anyone will do what you ask for the right price,” Vichand said.

“And I suppose swearing to secrecy was also something you asked of him?”

“Oh shit!” And here I thought I was the only one who swore in this world. “It seems I’ve lost my touch a bit. But no matter. I’m certain he realises that should he reveal us to anyone, his head will be the price.”

“Yeah but see things don’t always go as you think.”

“Vichand, I think there is someone following us,” the naga said. It was at this point that I noticed they weren’t using the somepony, anypony, and nopony terminology and instead used someone, anyone, and no one like normal people. I also noticed the follower that the naga had pointed out. It looked like Qene but I couldn’t be sure.

“Inconceivable. No one knows what we’ve done yet. It’s probably just a manticore that’s gone off its normal hunting path,” the hippogriff rationalized. “Just keep going on the set course.”

We continued our journey into griffon territory until the naga spoke up again. “He is still following us, Vichand.”

“Inconceivable. No matter, once we get to Griffonia, he’ll have a hard time getting through the Drifts of Insanity. They’re the most powerful air currents in the known world. It takes great skill to navigate them. Luckily, we know a way around them,” the hippogriff said as we approached a large cloud that looked like it was used for docking.

“You do realize that I can’t walk on clouds, right?” I asked. I had noticed that most winged races were able to do that but being a human without wings, I was not blessed with this ability. “And I don’t think the naga can either.”

“Not without magic,” he said. “That’s what these ar for.” He pulled out two amulets. “Cloud Walking Amulets. They allow the wearer to walk on clouds. Unfortunately I was not expecting to have to bring your friend as well so I only have two. Blaze, do you think you’ll be fine carrying one extra?”

“I should be fine,” the dragon responded.

“Then what are you waiting for, let’s go!” We all stepped off the ship, Vinyl being carried by Blaze, and went to the other end of the cloud dock. “Behold, the Drifts of Insanity.” I looked to where he was gesturing and I could actually see the air current, they were so strong. “And we’re going through the toughest part.” He pointed to where the wind was visibly stronger than any other part. “We want to get rid of that pesky follower, right? Blaze, are you ready?”

“Yes, Vichand.”

“Then let’s go!” The dragon picked us all up and we situated ourselves to various straps about him. he took off and we started flying through the extreme wind. “These currents are so powerful that anything less than a dragon would be blown away,” the hippogriff said.

“Vichand, the manticore is still following us,” the naga said.

“Inconceivable! No mere manticore is powerful enough to withstand these winds.”

“He’s gaining, too.”

“Blaze, why is a manticore able to gain on a mighty powerful dragon?”

“Well, I’m carrying all four of you and he’s only got himself.”

“I hired you for your strength! If you can’t out fly a meager little manticore than I might just send you back to Greenland and find a better dragon!”

“No don’t do that,” the dragon complained. I noticed a slight increase in speed as Blaze tried to outfly the manticore which I was pretty sure was Qene.

We arrived on the other side of the current and landed on a cloud. “Blaze, would breathing fire into the wind slow him down?” Vichand asked.

“If I aim it right, I can lower his visibility with the smoke,” the dragon responded.

“Do it then!” Vichand ordered. The dragon complied and we watched as the manticore was slightly deterred from its flight. “That should stop him.”

“Eh, Vichand,” the naga said, “He’s using the clouds as landing points. He is still following.”

“Inconceivable! Naga, stay here and fight him while the rest of us go on to the griffin capital.”

The naga stayed behind while the rest of us followed the clouds down to the ground.

We started travelling along the side of a mountain. After walking for about an hour, Blaze turned around and saw something. “Vichand, the manticore is still following us.”

“Inconceivable! The naga was one of the most skilled swordsman of his tribe. Alright, I think our other prisoner is finally awake.” I then noticed Vinyl struggling in her bonds. “Untied her legs but keep her blindfolded. She may be a unicorn but she still can’t untie the blindfold without seeing it. You’re going to stay here and when the manticore comes around that corner, finish him. Your way.”

“Oh, my way. What is my way?”

“You’re a dragon, when he gets here burn him with your fire breath.

“Oh. My way isn’t very sportsmanlike.”

Vichand ignored him as he, I, and the newly untied Vinyl followed him. When we got out of the main mountains and into the hills that surrounded them, Vichand looked behind us and noticed the manticore still following us. “Inconceivable!”

“You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means,” I said.

“I want no mouth from you. This manticore has the skill to beat a naga and the strength to beat a dragon but a mere manticore is nothing against the pure wit of a hippogriff.”

“We’ll see about that.” I had been studying Qene’s abilities and I quickly found that he had much more cognitive ability than most people assumed.

“Come, let us sit and wait.” As we waited, the hippogriff set up a small picnic. We ate for a while until the manticore, which I was glad to find was in fact Qene, finally caught up. “Ah, the ever persistent manticore has finally arrived. Come, I would like to congratulate you on coming this far. However, should you make any move against me, Síor will pay the price.” Vichand said holding up a knife to my neck. Before I could make a move to fight back, he started talking to me. “And if you make a move against me, your friend here will pay.” He then held up a dart that was clearly coated with poison and a reed to shoot it with. “Now then, I have poured you a drink, please come and sit with us.” He sat and looked at the drink but did not touch it.

After a few minutes of silently sitting there at an apparent stalemate, I got bored. “Alright, someone do something, I’m getting bored here.” Suddenly, Vichand fell forward. “What the fuck?!” I looked down at him and noticed Qene’s tail in the back of his head. “Well, that works I guess.” I then went over to Vinyl and took her blindfold off. “Well, that’s more excitement than I wanted today. You know anything about where we are?”

She looked around, getting her bearings. “Well, it’s almost nightfall but from what I can tell, we’re only a few miles out from Gryphus.”

“Well, that seems like the best option then. Lead the way.” She took the lead and we arrived in the capital shortly after dusk.

“I don’t suppose you have any money for a hotel, do you?” I asked.

“I’m afraid not. I left my coin pouch back at the tavern.”

“Well, that’s a problem because all of my money is worthless.”

“You got any griffin friends we can stay with?”

“Sorry, n--wait, there is one, but I don’t know where she lives. All she told me is that she lives in Gryphus.”

“Well, what’s her name? Maybe we could ask around a bit.”

“Her name’s Gilda.”

“Well, it’s a fairly common name for griffins but not so common that you’d get a whole town of them. C’mon let’s find the town hall, I’m sure the mayor will know where all the Gilda’s in Gryphus live.”

“It’s worth a shot.” We went to the town hall and requested the mayor. When the door to the mayor’s office opened, I was surprised to see Gilda come out of it. “Gilda, you’re the mayor?”

“Síor? Yeah, after I left Ponyville I decided to turn my life around so I ran for mayor. Who knew I’d actually win the election?” She said.

“Well, it’s rather convenient for us. Think you could give us a place to stay for the night, it’s been a crazy day.”

“Sure. What brings you to Gryphus anyways, I thought Twilight had you locked in Ponyville?” She led us out and started walking towards what I assumed was her home.

“Well, long story short, I went with a friend to Canterlot and then Vinyl and I got kidnapped and taken here.”

“Kidnapped? Do you know who it was?”

“The leader was named Vichand. He had a dragon and a naga with him, too.”

“Argh, we’ve been trying to catch those three for weeks! They keep kidnapping people every few days to try and start a war between Griffonia and Equestria. I can only imagine why.”

“Well, Qene here killed Vichand but I don’t know what will happened to the other two. They seemed like the type that would go good without their leader so I wouldn’t worry too much about them.”

“Well, it sounds like you guys had a rough day. I’ll let you get some sleep.” We had arrived at her house by now.

“Thanks. We’ll be out of your hair tomorrow morning. I gotta fly back to Canterlot as early as possible or they’ll start worrying. And you know how a worried pony can get.”

“I do but if you want to make it back by tomorrow morning, you’ll have to take a train. The only flight path to Equestria from here is to go far out to the west towards Appleoosa. Otherwise you’d have to fly through the Drifts of Insanity.”

“Not a problem. Qene already made it through once, I’m sure he could do it again.”

“Despite him being strong enough to get through, I doubt he could do it again the next day. Anyone who attempts it doesn’t fly again for a few days. And those are the lucky one’s that don’t get injured.”

“Well, neither of us have any money for a train so it’s either that or I get a job and start earning some money.”

“Well, I’m not gonna say that you shouldn’t get a job, but I can give you train passes. They’ll allow you free pass between Gryphus and Canterlot as many times as you need it.”

“Well, that would certainly solve our problem. When’s the first train to Canterlot?”

“How should I know, I’m not the train station manager.”

“Well, I guess we’ll just wake up early and see for ourselves. Thanks for letting us stay here.”

“No prob. You helped me see the error in my ways so I owe you one.” She left to her own room leaving Vinyl and I in the guest room.

“Well, there’s only one bed. You can have it though, I’ll just sleep outside with Qene,” I said.

She didn’t even respond, instead just jumping onto the bed as I walked out to sleep with Qene.

The next morning, I woke up at the crack of dawn. It wasn’t exactly planned that way but when my big fluffy manticore pillow disappeared, I figured I should probably get up. I went inside to see if anyone else was up yet.

“Hey, Síor. Fancy seeing you up so early,” Gilda said as she saw me walk in. I guess being the mayor she has to be up early.

“My pillow got up and walked away, have you seen him?”

“You mean Qene? He went for an early-morning hunt. He should be back soon.”

“How do you know this?”

“He left a note on the table. I’ll be honest, I had no idea manticores were sentient.”

“Yeah, can’t talk though. I don’t think they can write either, how’d he leave a note?”

“Well, it wasn’t exactly written.” She pointed to the note on the table and I saw that Qene had drawn himself killing a nondescript figure. “He has pretty good drawing skills though.”

“Is Vinyl up yet, we need to go down to the train station to see when the next train is.”

“She’s still asleep but if you want you could try waking her up.”

“I think I’ll wait until Qene gets back. What do you have for breakfast?” Yeah, I know I shouldn’t be asking for food after rudely asking for a place to stay last night but I don’t fucking care.

Qene got back an hour later and I woke Vinyl up. We went to the train station and caught the next train to Canterlot where I caught a teleport home to Ponyville. And thus ended a very interesting trip to Canterlot and beyond.

PreviousChapters Next