• Published 17th Dec 2017
  • 1,393 Views, 88 Comments

MLP FiM: A New Generation & Other Stories - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



Follow the adventures of the Mane Six, their offspring, and other characters.

  • ...
6
 88
 1,393

Chapter 2: Grounded!?

"GROUNDED!? ARE YOU BUCKING KIDDING ME, DOC!?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed in shock to Dr. Stable at the hospital. She'd been pregnant for around two months now and was receiving a general checkup.

"Please, lower your voice Mrs. Scholar," replied Dr. Stable, still maintaining a professional tone.

"I think we've known each other long enough that you can just call me Dash," she rolled her eyes. "I mean Celestia knows I've been here plenty enough."

"True, but at least this time around it's on a more positive note," quipped Bookworm.

"Hardy bucking har!" she retorted.

"As I was trying to say," continued Dr. Stable. "You're not grounded, per se. You're early enough in your pregnancy where it's perfectly alright for you to fly around. However, you shouldn't over exert yourself, no fast flying or practicing maneuvers."

"What constitutes as fast?" she asked.

"Weeeeeel," Dr. Stable thought. "I'm guessing this is the part you're going to especially not care for..."

"Just give it to me straight, Doc," she exclaimed.

"I want you to promise not to freak out," he replied.

"Aw buck," she said under her breath.

"No flying over five miles an hour," he finally said.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR BUCKING MIND!?" she yelled as loud as possible.

"Now, Dashie, it's not that bad," Bookworm tried to comfort his wife.

"Easy for you to say, Bookie!" she exclaimed, albeit not as loudly as earlier. "You're not a pegasus! Flying is what we're all about! Unless you're Fluttershy I guess...If I'd known we'd be adopting Scootaloo, I'd have tried not to get pregnant!"

"Oh come on now," he put a leg around his wife's shoulder. "It's only going to be for another nine months, and then you'll be back to flying at high speeds in no time."

"Yeah," she sighed. "I guess you have a point, and it'll be nice to have a little foal around and...DID YOU SAY NINE MONTHS!?"

Needless to say, Dr. Stable was happy to have Rainbow Dash out of his examination room. He prescribed her some prenatal supplements, a list of things she couldn't eat while pregnant, and book recommendations. The latter meant a trip to the Golden Oaks Library. Twilight Sparkle was glad to have some visitors, past couple weeks it was mostly her, Big Macintosh, Spike, and the newborn twins.

"Rainbow Dash! Bookworm!" she exclaimed, with her daughter Shimmer in a harness around her neck. "It's great to see you both!"

"Hey, Twi," Rainbow Dash said solemnly.

"What's wrong with you?" asked Twilight. "I figured you'd be in a more excited mood what with being pregnant and all."

"Oh, she's still very excited about that," answered Bookworm. "She's just a little down because Dr. Stable said she couldn't fly faster than five miles an hour while pregnant."

"I see," said Twilight. "That does make sense. I wasn't able to use my magic as much while pregnant with Lil' Macintosh and Shimmer. It's not very fun. So, I'm guessing you're here to get some books on the subjects of pregnancy and foal care?"

"You'd be correct," Bookworm said enthusiastically, always excited to be looking at new reading material. The purple unicorn mare lead them in. Spike was busy fixing some food, while Lil' Macintosh was walking around in a playpen, with Big Macintosh tossing a little ball for him to chase."

"Hey, Twi? If newborns are able to walk within hours after birth, why are you carrying Shimmer in a harness?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"It's a good way to bond with your newborn," replied Twilight, who then rubbed noses with Shimmer who let out a giggle. "I can't carry them both around at once, but they're fine taking turns."

"What's Big Mac doing here?" Dash asked. "Shouldn't he be at the farm?

"He's actually part time now," replied Twilight. "Braeburn and Mal have moved onto the farm full time."

"Wow!" exclaimed Dash. "That's really awesome of them! I bet Applejack and Pinkie are happy to have them both here all the time now. I'm surprised Pinkie didn't throw a party."

"Surprisingly, Pinkie just wanted to spend some time with Braeburn alone," said Twilight. "To be fair, he is her first coltfriend. It's a whole new experience for her."

"Speaking of coltfriends," Dash said to Spike. "You and Sweetie Belle still an item?"

"You betcha!" exclaimed Twilight's number one assistant with a proud smile. "Been together over six months now!"

"She handling the wings and the growth spurt fine?" asked Dash.

"It came out of nowhere for both of us," said Spike. "It literally happened over night. But at least this time I'm not rampaging around Ponyville. Guess I'm just going through some natural dragon growth now."

"You're not gonna get as big as the one dragon we dealt with a while back, are you?" Dash asked.

"Based on some research," Twilight chimed in. "That dragon and Spike are part of a different class. That dragon stayed on all fours while Spike is bipedal. Based on some older books I've read, Spike's class of dragon don't get nearly that large typically. That incident at his birthday was a random accident that hopefully won't happen again."

"Better keep an eye on him regardless," quipped Dash, arching an eyebrow."

"I found some books!" exclaimed Bookworm, levitating a stack of what looked to be a dozen books.

"When did you do that?" asked Dash.

"While you all were talking," he said matter of fact.

"Why do you always have to check out so many books?" Dash asked her husband while facehoofing, even though she knew the answer. She knew he loved to be as informed on something as much as possible. She thought at least he wasn't as research crazy as Twilight.

"So, tell me Twi, is it all worth it?" Dash asked.

Twilight stood there for a moment, looking at Lil' Macintosh play with his father, then looking at her Shimmer in her harness smiling big up at her mother.

"It's the greatest adventure you'll have, Dash," she said.

Later that evening, at Rainbow Dash and Bookworm's newly built custom house, the cerulean mare was tucking in her protege turned daughter Scootaloo.

"This feels weird," said Scootaloo."Though in a good way."

"Yeah, I know," said Dash. "But it seems like a typical thing for parents to do with their kids, plus I better spend as much time with you as possible, what with a new baby on the way. I hear they take up a lot of time."

The two sat there for a little bit in awkward silence.

"So um, are you excited about becoming a big sister?" Dash asked.

"Sure," replied Scootaloo. "I mean...I guess so...I'm still used to being part of a new family! So much happened at once. I got my cutie mark, got adopted by my mentor, and now I'm gonna have a baby brother or sister. I doubt this happens often to other ponies, especially in such rapid succession."

"Yeah," sighed Dash. "It's crazy...guess you should get some sleep now. Sweet dreams, Scoots."

"Sweet dreams, Dash," replied Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash gave Scootaloo a bit of a nuzzle and walked over to the light switch.

"Hey, Dash," Scootaloo called out before Dash walked out.

"Yeah, what's up?" Dash asked.

"Um..." the orange pegasus fumbled. "Would it be ok...if...I called you...mom?"

The rainbow maned pegasus pony's eyes went wide as the two said nothing for what felt like forever. She rushed over to Scootaloo's bed to give her a huge hug.

"That wasn't something you had to ask," she exclaimed, tearing up in the process. "I've seen you as my daughter before I even adopted you."

The two sat there for a few minutes, crying tears of joy. Finally, Scootaloo went to sleep and Rainbow Dash went to her room where Bookworm was still awake.

"I'm guessing things went well," Bookworm said with a smile.

Rainbow Dash simply got into bed, kissed Book worm on the cheek, and rested her head on his chest.

"She called me mom," she said with a warm smile on her face.

"I thought she was already doing that," he said.

"Nah, she was too nervous at first," she replied. "But tonight she asked. Not that she needed to of course."

"It's a whole new experience for everypony," he said.

"So true," she sighed. "I think I'm gonna be ok with having to slow things down for a bit. I want as much time as possible with our new daughter."

Bookworm kissed Rainbow Dash on top of the head and flicked the light switch off.

"But once this baby is born I'm flying as fast as I'm able."

Author's Note:

Wow! Another chapter so soon! I can't guarantee I'll get the next one out this quick, but never say never! ^_^

This is also what I picture the Apple Twins looking like at this point.

Made these using Baby Pony Base 4 by oCrystal