• Published 17th Dec 2017
  • 1,393 Views, 88 Comments

MLP FiM: A New Generation & Other Stories - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



Follow the adventures of the Mane Six, their offspring, and other characters.

  • ...
6
 88
 1,393

Chapter 9: Birthdays All Around!

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY
LIL MACINTOSH & SHIMMER

It didn’t seem possible, but it had indeed been a year since the birth of the Apple Twins! Naturally, Pinkie was throwing them the biggest party any one year old could ask for (or really comprehend). All immediate family were present, the twins themselves were happily running about, playing with Rainbow Sprinter, now a few months old, not quite flying yet but able to hover a few moments. Naturally, there was also a song composed by the pink party pony.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
TO THE APPLE TWINS!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
A YEAR OLD FOR THE WIN!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
YOU'RE CUTE AS YOU CAN BE!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
LET'S ALL SHOUT YIPPEE!

"YIPPEE!" everypony shouted, followed by applause.

"Lovely song, Pinkie Pie," said Twilight.

"That one I had a bit more time to prepare for," exclaimed Pinkie Pie.

"Ah can't believe the little ones are already a year old," said Applejack.

"It's been a crazy ride," replied Twilight.

“So, are me and Twilight gonna be the only two with kids?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Ah ain’t even hitched yet!” exclaimed Applejack, blushing in the process.

“I’d like to have some time with Hayseed first,” replied Rarity. “Children take up a lot of time, as my experience with Sweetie Belle proves.”

“What Rarity said” chimed in Pinkie Pie. “But with the Pound Twins.”

“Well...um...” began Flutteshy, but in her usual timid way. “Snowflake and I have been trying...”

“Guess you’ll be the next one then!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash.

A little over a week had passed since the Twins birthday party, things had more or less gone back to normal.

"I hope you hatch soon, little one," she said to the egg in her always soothing tone. "I'm very curious to know what you look like. Twilight's also very interested, though more so for scientific reasons.

For the past few months, Fluttershy had been caring for the mysterious egg she and Angel had discovered in the Everfree Forest. It seemed so unusual that it hadn't hatched yet, despite the various methods she read to help it along the way. Nevertheless, the Element of Kindness did her very best to make sure it was well cared for. Every few days or so, Twilight would come to Fluttershy's cottage to examine the egg, using various methods to try to tell what was inside it. Despite all her best efforts, there was no penetrating the shell.

"So strange," thought Twilight. "I've never come across an egg so unwilling to cooperate! The only proof we have that something is alive in there is the heartbeat. At this point we don't know if it's a reptile, a bird, maybe some kind of aquatic animal out of water. It's driving me crazy!"

"Maybe it's all of those things," said Fluttershy.

"That certainly would be something," replied Twilight. "Can't say I've heard of a fish, bird, reptile hybrid before. Have you been doing all the things needed to care for it?"

"Of course I have," said Fluttershy, almost defensively. "The egg has made little movements here and there."

"Why didn't you tell me that before?" asked Twilight.

"I thought you already knew," replied Fluttershy. "Has it not moved for you?"

"I've only ever heard the heartbeat," said Twilight. "Does it move for you?"

"I never really thought about it," said Fluttershy.

"Come over here with me," said Twilight, motioning her friend to her spot with the egg. The butter creamed mare obliged.

"Do whatever it is you normally do with the egg," Twilight enthusiastically asked her friend.

"I just talk to it," Fluttershy said a bit timidly.

"Then just do that," Twilight said, again with great enthusiasm.

"Um...ok..." she replied, trailing off a little and then let out a sigh. "Hello, little one. I hope you're doing well today. I'm really excited to see what you look like. I hope you hatch very soon."

Just then, the egg began to shake a little, stunning both of them.

"Amazing!" exclaimed Twilight. "It must know who you are!"

"Do you really think so?" asked Fluttershy.

"Definitely!" she exclaimed again. "It reacted specifically to the sound of your voice. When it hatches, it will identify you as its mother."

"Mother?" thought Fluttershy. "I hadn't even considered that. I mean...Snowflake and I have been trying to get pregnant...but...things haven't been working out..."

"Oh, I see," said Twilight. "Well...that's nothing unusual...it varies from pony to pony..."

"You and Rainbow Dash both seemed to get pregnant very easily..." Fluttershy replied.

"Well...um...that..." Twilight fumbled, but couldn't come up with the right words to comfort her friend. She simply put a hoof around her shoulder and they shared a moment of silence. Suddenly, the egg began to shake more than Fluttershy had seen before.

"Has it done that before?" asked Twilight.

"No," answered Fluttershy. "It's never shaken that much."

The egg then began to crack, Fluttershy and Twilight gasped in amazement.

"IT'S HATCHING!" they both exclaimed in excited unison.

Author's Note:

I wanted to include a celebration of the first birthdays for the Apple Twins, but didn't think it could fill up a whole chapter, so I combined with the hatching of the mystery egg.

Also, sorry for the delay, I was in a bit of a rut. Hopefully the next chapter will be out sooner.