• Published 17th Dec 2017
  • 1,393 Views, 88 Comments

MLP FiM: A New Generation & Other Stories - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



Follow the adventures of the Mane Six, their offspring, and other characters.

  • ...
6
 88
 1,393

Chapter 13: Legend of the Draquinean

Centuries before the founding of Equestria, before any sort of settlements were formed, and before some say even the existence of ponies and dragons, were a race of creatures that would be known by scholars as Draquineans. Simply put, they appeared to be a hybrid of ponies and dragons, sharing their most prominent features: the body shape and hooves of a pony, the scaly skin, membrane wings, and two sets of horns like many known species of dragons. Like ponies they could conjure up bits of magic, like dragons they could breathe fire, and like both showed levels of intelligence. In any case, they were also known to be highly aggressive.

At some point in history, that nopony can entirely agree on, ponies and dragons came into existence. Some think it was a divine grace by some kind of Ethereal Herd, some thought a magic crystal split in two and split some of the Draquineans into these two new species, some thought maybe it was some crazy scheme played by Discord in order to stir a bit of chaos into this world. Whatever the reason, nopony knew, just that there was no harmony. Ponies saw themselves as the more level headed, intelligent, and magically superior beings. Dragons felt that physical superiority was all that mattered. In the middle were the Draquineans who didn't care who felt was better than the other, they saw both as a threat to their existence.

Death and destruction spread through the land like wildfire. No creature was safe from these brutal creatures of destruction. Ponykind and dragonkind put their differences aside to fight off this threat to all their lives. Eventually, Draquineans seemed to vanish, existing only as scary stories to tell fillies and colts.

As Twilight Sparkle finished reading the passage from a book she and her friends found on ancient legends, a worry came over them. They appeared to be in possession of a creature that centuries ago caused many deaths.

“Do you think Fireball is one of these Draquineans?” asked Pinkie, in an usually timid tone.

“The description does seem to match,” replied Twilight, with worry in her voice.

“But, Fireball is so sweet,” said Pinkie. “Sure, he’s been skittish, but he’s just a baby, babies are always a little skittish when they’re just born into this world. You don’t think...he’d become something like that...do you?”

“It’s hard to say, Pinkie,” replied Twilight. “But, I doubt these things would be written if they weren’t even somewhat true.”

“Fluttershy isn’t gonna like this news,” said Spike. “She loves that little guy. He called her mama, so he obviously loves her too...”

“You don’t...you don’t suppose Princess Celestia would have harm come to him, do you?” asked Rarity. “He’s done nothing wrong. He’s an infant, only a few days old.”

“It might have been a mistake to bring him here,” said Bookworm.

“We couldn’t keep this a secret from the prIncess,” said Twilight.

“But,” began Pinkie, tears forming in her eyes. “What if she tries to hurt Fireball?”

“Princess Celestia wouldn’t harm a baby,” exclaimed Twilight. “How could you think such a thing?”

“You read the book,” said Pinkie. “They were destroyed for harming ponies and dragons! You think that doesn’t mean the babies weren’t harmed too!? That’s probably why Fireball’s egg was hidden in that magic barrier! His birth mother wanted to keep him safe! She probably died protecting him!”

Pinkie Pie’s usual puffy mane and tail deflated, the color in her fur seemed to fade slightly as well; there was no stopping the tears.

“There there, darling,” said Rarity, putting her front legs around Pinkie. “We won’t let anything happen to that little fellow. And we know Fluttershy won’t let any harm come to him either.”

A slight smile came across Pinkie’s face, but her depressed appearance remained the same.

“We need to tell the others what we found,” said Twilight. “And we’re going to have to tell Princess Celestia...”

“WHAT IS A DRAQUINEAN DOING IN MY KINGDOM!?” exclaimed the royal tone of Equestria’s might ruler.

“I think she already knows,” Spike chimed in.

Author's Note:

Short chapter, but I want to save more drama for the next one. Hope you enjoyed it.