• Published 17th Dec 2017
  • 1,393 Views, 88 Comments

MLP FiM: A New Generation & Other Stories - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



Follow the adventures of the Mane Six, their offspring, and other characters.

  • ...
6
 88
 1,393

Chapter 10: Who or What Are You?

The egg was hatching, Fluttershy and Twilight stood there wide eyed in excitement. The top of the egg was the first part to crack, it was nearly open.

"Oh my!" exclaimed Fluttershy.

"This is so exciting!" followed Twilight. "We're about to discover possibly the greatest find in scientific history!"

The top of the egg completed cracking. Then suddenly, a red glow seemed to be emitting from it; the two mares leaned in for a closer look. Suddenly, a burst of fire and smoke emerged, causing the rest of the shell to explode. Fluttershy and Twilight were flung back by the impact. Smoke enveloped the entire cottage, the animals ran out in a panic while the the two friends coughed loudly.

"What in the name of Equestria!?" exclaimed Twilight. "Did the egg just explode!?"

"I don't know," replied Fluttershy. "Do you think maybe it's a dragon?"

"I've never heard of dragon's doing that when hatching," said Twilight. "Plus none of my books identified it as a dragon egg. Then again, there was no proper identification in any of my books."

As the smoke began to clear, they saw some kind of silhouette scampering around the cottage.

"That's not one of my animals," Fluttershy quietly said to Twilight.

Whatever it was, it then let out a loud shriek, followed by another burst of flames. Fluttershy and Twilight ducked, barely missing the flame, which singed the top of their manes. Before they could get a good look, the creature ran underneath Fluttershy's sofa.

"We need to approach it very slowly and calmly," Twilight said under her breath to Fluttershy, who nodded in agreement.

The two approached the sofa slowly, not making any noise, breathing as softly as possible. The creature made a bit of a shrieking noise, making them stop in place. Then Twilight gave a look of an idea.

"Of course," she exclaimed quietly. "Why didn't I think of this before?"

"Think of what?" asked Fluttershy.

"I guess with all the chaos happening it was hard to," Twilight continued, not really hearing Fluttershy.

"Think of what?" Fluttershy asked again, slightly louder to get her attention, but not loud enough to scare the creature.

"You, Fluttershy," replied Twilight. "When the creature was in the egg it responded positively to your voice. I see no reason why it wouldn't do the same now."

"I-I-I don't know," Fluttershy said timidly.

"It's clearly scared," said Twilight. "It needs a familiar voice to assure it that nothing is gonna harm it."

The yellow pegasus was very nervous, but she didn't see any other options. Whatever this creature was, it was new to this world and needed somepony to assure it that it was going to be ok. As the Element of Kindness, it was her obligation to do so. She let out a sigh, and slowly approached the sofa.

"Come on, little one," she said, as gently as possible. "Nopony is going to hurt you. "You recognize my voice right? My name is Fluttershy, I'm the one who found you. Well, Angel found you, but I helped him bring you out of your hiding place. I've been looking after you since then. My very good friend, Twilight, has also been keeping an eye on you. I'd really like to see what you look like, Angel and the other animals would like to see what you look like too."

Angel and the rest of her animals slowly began peeking through the windows and doorways of the cottage, to see if they could get a look.

"Can you see?" she asked. "The others are trying to see what you look like. They won't harm you either. We're all family in this cottage, and we all look out for each other."

Finally, the creature began to slowly come out from under the couch. Fluttershy, Twilight, Angel, and the rest of the animals all looked in amazement at what they saw. It was unlike anything any of them had seen before.

The creature was shaped very much like a pony, everything else was very different, including the fact that despite being newly hatched it was the size of a school aged pony. It had no fur, but skin as dark green as the egg it had hatched from. The ears were more pointy than the average pony, currently posed downward (possibly from being scared), pointed snout, and even pointed teeth (baring as either a defense or out of fear, possibly both) atop its head were two tiny, black, pointed horns, and its eyelids and pupils were slit like a reptile and its irises a bright shade of yellow. And it had bat like wings!

"Amazing," Twilight said under her breath.

Fluttershy stretched out her right hoof, allowing the creature to inspect and sniff to assure it that she wasn't going to harm it. The creature finally let its guard down, allowing Fluttershy to rub the top of its head, it closed its eyes and gave a slight smile. The animals slowly came back into the cottage so they could get a better look at what they presumed to be their newest roommate. The creature opened its eyes and began to make some defensive noises.

"No, no, it's ok," Fluttershy comforted it. "They live here with me. Angel is the one who found you. Come here, Angel Bunny, come meet your new friend."

Angel hopped his way to Fluttershy's spot by the couch to see the creature closer. The two looked at each other intensely for a moment, till Angel finally gave the creature assurance that it wasn't going to do any harm. The rest of the animals and Twilight got closer to Fluttershy and the creature.

"This is absolutely incredible," exclaimed Twilight, but in a tone that wouldn't scare the creature.

"Do you have any idea what he is?" asked Fluttershy.

"None," replied Twilight. "I've never seen anything like that. Wait, he?"

"Um...yeah..." began Fluttershy, blushing. "I...noticed it's a boy."

"Oh, I see," said Twilight, blushing as well.

"I bet he needs something to eat," said Fluttershy. "Angel, go find something in the kitchen for me to feed him, please?"

The normally uncooperative bunny did as she said, hopped off to the kitchen to find something for the newborn creature to eat. He came back with a variety of fruits, vegetables, and breads. It didn't take long for it to gobble up everything Angel had given it.

"Oh my!" exclaimed Fluttershy. "You certainly were hungry."

"He did just hatch," Twilight pointed out. "Been living off yolk for who knows how long."

After he was done eating, the creature began to make some odd noises.

"I hope he's not going to be sick," said Fluttershy, in a very concerned way.

The creature then let out a very loud burp that was accompanied by a great ball of fire. Everypony was thankfully able to jump out of the way in time. Fluttershy came back to its side, the creature then let out a large yawn, curled up next to her, and fell asleep.

"I think I'll call you Fireball," she said with a loving smile.

Author's Note:

New chapter out immediately! YAY!

I originally had a different origin for Fireball, with Fluttershy finding him in her chicken coop instead of in egg form. This was years ago, when I hadn't figured out all the backstories yet.

Those who think of another OC called Nix, that is completely coincidental. I came up with Fireball while randomly messing around with Pony Creator on DeviantArt.