• Published 16th Oct 2011
  • 3,633 Views, 118 Comments

A Comet's Tale - Parakalo



When star-crossed Comet tries to settle down in Ponyville, he finds it more difficult than expected.

  • ...
5
 118
 3,633

Chapter 7 - Comet's Day of Discord

The sun shining in Comet's window awoke him that next morning He must have slept particularly well, because much to Comet's dismay, he had already wasted about a third of his day. Despite the fact that he couldn't watch the sun rise this morning, Comet climbed to his bell tower roof to check his equipment he set up the night before. He figured that if he did get a letter from Cloudsdale today, he should have whatever information he could possibly have ready for them. Either that, or tell them what he had in hopes that it would sway their decision. As Comet looked at his instruments, something very odd was happening. The readings he was getting wasn't making any sense.

The air pressure suggested that he was in the bottom of a ravine, not the highest point in Ponyville. The temperature was so high that his alcohol solution had percolated at the top of his thermometer, away from the metal plate, and the spinning vane would make a quarter of a turn or so before turning the other direction, and swaying back. Comet didn't understand. They were working fine yesterday. He checked the air. Maybe there was a bad storm last night. The pressure felt okay, but something he had never felt before was hanging about. It felt... sticky. And sweet. What kind of weather is sticky and sweet? Comet was bewildered. He needed to get down into Ponyville right away and send a letter. Either something very bad was going to happen, or it was about to start raining desserts on his house.

Or, both.

When Comet got into Ponyville, it was a disaster. Houses were turning upside down upon themselves, pink clouds and chocolate rain, and for some reason, the rabbits had unrealistically long---

"Howdy, Comet." The voice behind him made Comet's hair stand on end. It was, sensual. Mature. Like a model. It sounded strangely familiar, however. He turned around. Or, it was Applebloom.

"Do you like it?" Comet was dreaming. This was some crazy, screwed up dream where nine different kinds of crazy was going down.

"Uh... Applebloom... it's well... different." Comet needed to get out of there before it got any weirder. "Look, I need to uh... Get to the library, and uh, send a letter. You should uh... take... cover. And stuff. Bye now!" Comet rushed off for the library, hoping to Celestia that she didn't follow him.

"I'll be waiting," Applebloom smiled. This was the best thing to have ever happened to her.

Comet shut the library door behind him. That was something he never wanted to experience again.

The library was empty and quiet. Comet looked around, and heard a moan from upstairs. It sounded like Spike. Comet rushed up to him and found him lying on the floor. Spike moaned again and produced a letter, which fell on a large pile.

"Spike?"

"Comet... urp. Make it stop..." The letter pile continued to grow.

"What happened?"

"Celes... ugh... Celestia... friendship..."

"Uh, well, since you obviously can't write me a letter, I was wondering... Are there any in there for me?" Comet hoped that didn't come off as rude. He browsed the pile and found one with the seal of Cloudsdale on it. It was addressed to him. He read it:

"To Our Esteemed Comet,

We of the Primary Branch of the Equestrian Weather Committee have considered your application and would like to request your assistance as a terms of employment. As we are sure you are aware at this point, adverse and unpredictable weather conditions are affecting all of Equestria. Your expertise in the subject of weather has been verified, and if you have any help you could provide for us and all of Equestria in this time of need, it would be much obliged. Should you assist in the containment of these disasters, we would like to offer you the position of Everfree Ranger. We urge you to accept this our gracious offer and hope you can help to control the growing disaster across Equestria."

It was signed and stamped by all the members of the weather committee. This was it. Comet had the job. He just needed to handle some cotton candy and chocolate milk, and his dream job was locked in.

"Spike, do you know what this means?"

"Ugh... con... congratulations..." Spike rolled over.

"All I have to do to is fix the chaos outside, and and I got the job." Comet knew what he had to do. "Spike, you stay here. I'm going to practice meteorology." It was time to get to the bottom of this.

"Urp... 'kay..."

Comet rushed outside and found the anarchy was worsening. The dirt, which was now a delightful blue and cyan checkerboard, was met by a road of soap leading to holes in the ground where a majority of the buildings (that weren't made of cards) floated freely in the air. Comet searched the sky and found that his house, as well, had joined the party. He hoped it didn't tussle with any of the bigger houses. He put so much money into that place as it is. Comet focused. Carefully sneaking around the mature-voiced Applebloom, Comet tried to find a source to all of the nonsense.

Given the fact that cotton candy dissolves when wet, it stands to reason that this chaos is magic related. Comet concluded. That... and everything is going bat-shit crazy. In the center of town, Comet found a creature he had never seen before. It was like a bad game of Mr. Potato-Colt. Someone just sneezed animal parts onto a dragon body. He approached the laughing creature and figured he might have something to do with this.

"And you are?"

"Discord, draconequus lord of chaos and disharmony. And you are?"

"I'm Comet. Is this your doing?"

"Charmed. Isn't it wonderful? Chaos capital of the world, is what I call it."

"So everything is going to stay this way?"

Suddenly, the sun hid and the moon looped into the sky. All this was starting to irritate Comet.

"But of course. This town needed to loosen up, and now it's not getting any looser," He gestured to the floating buildings and laughed. Comet nodded. A comedian. Wonderful. Maybe a brain teaser could confuse him a bit.

"So, is there anything I can expect to happen today?"

"Besides chaos and anarchy? Nothing!" Discord flopped down on his thrown with a small bark when he landed.

"What about tomorrow?" Comet tried to sound generally curious.

"Why, I imagine that I won't be going anywhere tomorrow, so I would assume it would be about the same. Are you getting at something, Comet? I'm very busy dismantling physics here."

"I'm not sure I understand. You said you were the lord of chaos and disharmony."

"What of it?"

"Isn't there order in the fact that everything is going to be the same tomorrow?"

The rain stopped for just a second. Discord blinked.

"I mean, if I don't know what's going to happen today, and I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, isn't there an organized pattern forming here?"

A house settled down in its place. Comet found the funniest thing Discord had done all day was the look on his face right then. Suddenly, the rain began again and the house transformed into cards.

"I know what you are trying to do, Comet. You think you can break my focus with a mind game? I made the mind game! I am the mind game. Let's see how smart you are when you are made of wood!" With a snap of his lion's paw, Comet disappeared with a light poof and was replaced by a delicate mahogany side table. A trio of comets were etched into the finish on the tabletop. "Your idea was good, Comet, but in the face of chaos, I'm afraid your logic does have a leg to stand on!" Discord laughed and laughed. In his reverie, he knocked the Comet-corner-piece on the floor. Discord turned and looked at it. "Watch your tongue, Comet, or I'll stain you." A pink cloud moved over, and Discord conjured a glass, filling it with chocolate milk. "Chaos, is a wonderful, wonderful thing."

"Not as wonderful as friendship!" Twilight Sparkle and her friends approached the draconequus, armed with pretty jewelry table-Comet didn't recognize.

"Oh," Discord drank the glass off his chocolate milk and sneered, "This again?" He gave his milk a toss behind him, right at Comet. The resulting explosion sent table-Comet careening. He collided with a tree and relieved to find that the tree squeaked like a small toy, allowing him to rest without damage on the ground. He couldn't see what was happening from this position, to his frustration.

Suddenly, a smoking red lightning bolt wizzed past him. If table-Comet had lungs, he would have shouted in surprise. Assorted colored energy beams began flying in all directions. If only table-Comet could see what was happening. If only table-Comet could see period! He had no eyes, of course. There was a bright flash of light, and Comet landed with a thump on the ground. He was delighted to find he had flesh and a mane again as opposed to a delicate lemon-scented finish.

The following day, a celebration was held in Canterlot to honor the heroes that saved Equestria from the villainous Discord. There was even a statue of Discord in a silly pose to enhance the occasion. Comet watched from the front of the crowd, proud of his friends who received honor medals from Princess Celestia herself. He knew that nopony would know of his attempt to defeat Discord, but that didn't matter. He had a medal of his own that he wore with pride. Wearing his new Ranger uniform, Comet beamed not only for his friends, but for his own accomplishments as well. If only his parents and siblings could be here to see him now. If only they could see that he went out and, albeit with a few hiccups along the way, managed to not only find a place to call his own, but found work doing something he loved. And an assortment of new friends, too. He joined the gang in the reception afterward, congratulating all of them.

"I saw the whole thing. You guys were truly amazing. Especially you, Twilight Sparkle. I had no idea you were so talented." Twilight Sparkle looked away at his compliment.

"Oh, uh, well, it was nothing. I couldn't have done it without all of my friends."

"I like your new duds," Spike felt the dark green uniform went well with Comet's dark grey skin.

"Thanks. I guess Discord did come in handy for something." They all laughed at that. Something left Comet feeling uneasy. "So... what happens now? You are all heroes and stuff."

"What of it?" Rarity wasn't sure she understood.

"You tryin' to make a point, Comet?" Applejack didn't know what he meant either.

"Well, I'm just some colt. I mean, I was there, sure, but I'm no hero."

"You don't have to be a hero to hang out with us, Comet," Twilight Sparkle was surprised he would say such a thing. "We aren't any different just because we got medals from the princess."

"Yur stuck with us," Applejack smiled.

"We like you just the way you are." Fluttershy spoke the longest sentence he had ever heard her say. She was going to be a very important friend in the future. Comet knew there were many dangerous creatures in the Everfree Forest, and he hoped that Fluttershy would be there if he needed her expertise.

"And we hope you like us just the same." Rainbow Dash shared a hoof-bump with him.

"Now that I have a real job..." Comet looked at Pinkie Pie and she giggled, "I'm going to need all of your guys's help fixing up my house. It still needs paint and shutters and---"

"Furniture?" Everyone laughed at Spike's comment, especially Comet. The future was looking bright, and Comet couldn't wait to see what it had in store.

Someone watched Comet from a distance. She shuffled an ornate deck of cards with levitation as she thought to herself. When she saw him at the front of the crowd at the ceremony, she could hardly believe it. She could pick out that folded ear anywhere. It had been ten years since she had last seen him. He had grown into a handsome colt in the time she had been gone. He talked and laughed with a circle of ponies and a dragon. She was glad Comet had made new friends, but at the same time, it gave her an angry feeling in the pit of her stomach. She was his oldest and best friend. Why didn't he notice her? He never did, now that she thought about it. Maybe she should go over and say something. The idea made her uncomfortable. A reading first, to still her nerves, and then she would give it a shot. The cards fanned out in front of her, forming an ornate sun symbol on the table. She looked at the backs of her cards carefully and focused on her question: Would she be able to get close to Comet, now that she'd found him again?

The first card she flipped depicted a powerful sorceress. The Ace of Wands. That was a good sign, Cupid thought to herself. It meant opportunity, ambition. She would get her chance. The next card would tell her the catch, however. It would tell her the cost of the first card. She had 77 other possible outcomes, and none of them were particularly good. She was getting pretty nervous.

The second card depicted eight wrestling Pegasi. The Eight of Wings. She sweat bullets. This was not what she was hoping for. It meant obstacles, or even a trap. What kind of trap? What could it mean? She pored over the backs of the cards, as if they would simply tell her what she wanted to know. What kind of fate was in store? The last card, at this point, was the most important. It was the card that would tie it all together. The root of the problem. The obstacle in particular. What could it be? She couldn't tell by sitting there with an unfinished fortune. Which card, which card? 76 paths, and only one was the path to follow. She calmed herself. it was just an explanation. She just needed to know why, and then she could proceed to overcome it.

After taking a deep breath, Cupid picked the card next to the first. An allicorn dressed in robes sat at a throne, a crossed scepter in hoof. The Hierophant.. That was it. That was the problem. She slumped back against the wall. Conformity. Comet was meeting some kind of standard, looking for some kind of acceptance, and that was getting in the way of her chance to be with him. Cupid searched her memory. What could that be referring to? Who was he conforming to? She watched him laugh with his new friends. As she though to herself, the cards reorganized and began to shuffle themselves again. Was it his new friends? Was he giving something up to be with them? It had been almost ten years since she had last seen him. There could be anything. She should go talk to him.

Cupid stopped and thought about that idea. The deck paused for just a bit, and then continued shuffling in mid-air. She could find out where he was staying at that point. Get to know him again. She had so much she wanted to talk about. Surely, they had room for one more in their circle. Summing up her courage, she collected her things (just her shawl and cards), and moved over to the circle. She inserted herself across the table from Comet.

"Comet? Comet is that you?" She approached the table and focused hard on him, as if she didn't recognize him.

"Hi. Um. Have we... wait. Cupid? Cupid is that you?" At this point, all the attention was on the cream-colored unicorn that was apparently more important than the rest of them.

"It's been so long, Comet... I've missed you." Everyone watched Comet, awaiting an introduction. Comet got the hint.

"Everyone, this is Cupid. She was my first friend in Manehattan. I haven't seen her in about ten years now? Give or take? Cupid, this is Spike, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. They are my new friends." They nodded to her in turn as he went around the circle.

"I love your shawl, darling. Your timing on the season is impeccable." Rarity loved the alternating white and brown colors. She could tell it was hand woven, and it must be very old.

"Thanks. It was my mother's. Where have you gone, Comet? I came back to Manehattan to find you, and Dasher told me you had taken off for parts unknown."

"I should say the same thing. You dropped out of school without a letter or anything. Nopony knew where you went. I found a place in Ponyville, where I monitor the weather in the Everfree Forest."

Ponyville. Cupid had never been there, but it was supposed to be beautiful this time of year. How luxurious. "I'm so happy for you." She smiled. It was the same smile that Twilight gave him in the forest. It still made him feel weird.

"What are the cards for? They look nice." Spike was referring to the floating deck of cards that laced in and out of itself behind her. Cupid moved them out onto the table.

"These are Tarot Cards. I'm a fortune teller. It was something that was passed down from my grandmother to my mother, and from her to me." She smiled and had the cards form an ornate shape that rotated slowly in the middle of the table. Oohs and Ahs were shared amongst the eight of them. Comet had no idea she had gotten so good with those cards. Cupid's mother did readings for them when they were little foals. She smiled at the crowd. "Would you like me to do a reading?"

"If it's not too much trouble," Fluttershy was entranced by the decorative red and gold cards.

"Okay. First, I need a question. 'Yes' or 'No' questions are easiest to answer, but any question at all will suffice."

There was a pause as everyone thought of a question. Comet spoke first.

"Will I be successful at my new job?" Everyone agreed that was a good question. Cupid decided it was high time to show her stuff.

Her cards swirled and spun, hanging in the air and spinning in place, to join the pile and form a rapidly mixing group of decks. She decided a four-card reading would paint an accurate picture. When the cards settled, four piles rested on the table. Everyone watched in wonder as Cupid flipped the first card.

"This card represents your strengths. What you will take away from your job at the end of each day." Ten hoof-prints on the card of different colors formed a trio of circles. The Ten of Hooves Cupid was glad it wasn't bad news. "This is the ten of hooves. It means fulfillment, or contempt. You can be confident that you did good work at the end of each day." Everyone nodded and smiled at Comet. The look on his face suggested that he too, was glad it wasn't bad news. "Our second path represents your weaknesses. This is the thing that will hold you back from day to day." A shadow of a pony in a spotlight is circled by a collection of ponies watching down on him. Judgement. Cupid expected this. From what she remembered of her old friend, it was always something that bothered him. "This card is Judgement. In this case, it represents worry, or lack of faith. You need to have confidence in yourself and your abilities in order to succeed." Comet swallowed. It was astonishing how cards could bring out exactly what you were thinking of.

"We're halfway done. This third card represents your trials. This is what you strive to overcome in every day of work you do." The card depicted an unkempt earth-pony in a forest. The Hermit. Cupid smiled. Comet found comfort in this. "This odd card is The Hermit. He represents vigilance, or patience."

"How do you overcome patience?" Spike wasn't sure what this meant. Twilight Sparkle shushed him.

"In this case, it means something will try you and force you to wait. It is important to remember that if you can rely on others besides yourself, and everything will turn out fine. Confidence in your own abilities won't be enough; those you work with will be necessary for you to succeed. " Comet nodded. That could mean any number of things, but it wasn't bad news.

"This last card is my least favorite. It represents your tribulations. This is the thing that will cause you much discomfort from day to day. Unfortunately, no reading is entirely happy." The final pile revealed its top card. Ten multi-colored gems danced across a blue ocean background. The Ten of Gems. This was not good. Everyone watched Cupid, waiting for her explanation. "This is the Ten of Gems. It represents family, and support. I'm sorry, Comet. The cards tell me that you will need much strength in the future. Dasher and Dancer may not see your reasoning, but it's important to know that your parents will love you no matter what decision you make, although it will take time for them to accept it."

Comet stared at this last card. His parents wouldn't like his job? It was what he wanted, though, and wasn't that enough? He didn't understand. What did it mean? For a while, nobody said anything. Cupid's card shuffled back together, and she tucked them away behind her.

"It's okay, Comet. It wasn't all bad." Twilight tried to make him feel better.

"An we got your back, Sugarcube. You can count on us." Applejack always seemed to know what to say.to make him feel better. Cheers were held all around. Cupid did her best to spend as much time with Comet as she could for the rest of the evening. At the end of the night, she approached him.

"Comet?"

"Yeah, Cupid. What is it?"

"I was wondering... would it be okay... if I came and visited you in Ponyville?"

"Yeah. Yeah, of course! I would love to have you. It's been so long since we've been able to hang out like old times."

"O-Okay!" She was glad to hear his confident voice again. It was like something sleeping within her had woken up and just started to stretch its legs. "Well, I better get back to Manehattan. Long trip."

"Yeah." Comet nodded. He knew all about that trek. "Take care, Cupid."

"I will... Comet..." She disappeared into the night.

Although her reading worried him, Comet was glad to have seen his good friend again. It was going to be a lot of fun tomorrow, he could feel it.