• Published 25th Oct 2011
  • 26,189 Views, 2,335 Comments

Heroes and Allies - LewisClarke



A great force threatens to destory Equestria and worlds beyond... Can two very diffrent peoples band together to stop it?

  • ...
76
 2,335
 26,189

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-Four: Black Sun, Red Moon -Part VI- Dread Intentions

A/N

Greetings readers! I really am sorry that these chapters have become so sparse. Do not fear, however. I won't forget about the story, and I'm still here to answer your comments. Fun fact for you more dedicated fans of the story is that somewhere in this chapter is the story's two hundred-thousandth word. Quite the milestone indeed. I'd also like to put a shout out to our newest member of the team, Roflnom. More eyes to keep things straight around here. In the meantime, enjoy!














By now, Lenard and Phalanx had been wandering though the mysterious chambers of the Realm Sapphiron for hours, motivated by what might happen should their pursuer catch up with them. Now reduced to a slowed but urgent walk, the two found themselves lost inside the grand house's many great halls. Stairs and walkways could be seen ascending upward, downward, upside down, and in all manner of directions, and there were several doors leading to unknown locations lining the walls.

"There doesn't seem to be any end to this library," a thoroughly exhausted Captain Greene wheezed.

"Indeed," Phalanx mumbled. "There"-he coughed-"There is as much knowledge to be gained as Hircus has years to spend here. A pity we cannot peruse it."

Greene shook his head. "We can't run forever. He'll catch us eventually. We're on his turf. We have to play by his rules here."

"Then we bend the rules." The griffin praetor put a claw to his chin. "This chamber is several miles in length. Hircus is searching for us somewhere in this maze, and I would wager that somewhere in this seemingly infinite expanse there is something we can use to defeat him, or at least resist him."

"Infinite knowledge isn't my specialty, but if it'll help, we can at least look."

The two began to search through the bag of books they had made away with earlier, and began to scan the multitude of books and scrolls for any source of useful information. In the distance, sounds of an almighty temper tantrum echoed through the halls.

Phalanx's keen senses alerted to the sound. "He is lurking out there. We have not a moment to lose."

"Right. We have to speed things up a bit. We can't afford to stay anywhere long."

"Indeed. Though I may have found something that will help." The hardened bird lifted a brown small book from a pedestal and brought it into view. The cover was encased in centuries of dust, but once swept free, the title could clearly be seen. Greene squinted to make out the archaic style of writing on the cover.

"'Black Sun, Red Moon'. Sounds eery. What makes you think it'll help us?"

"I've noticed several references to it since we arrived here, as well as many more long before we met, in my studies in the unknown regions of the Everfree."

"So what does it mean?"

"I know not of this book, but the words 'Black Sun, Red Moon' are very prevalent in Alliance culture. Everything I've gathered says is was some kind of major event in this world's history; something that brought us, the Alliance I mean, together. Beyond that... well let me just say that the contents of this book may be very illuminating."

"Well right now, I'd prefer something to fight Hircus with, not a history lesson."

"Yes, but I believe this has much to do with what Hircus is, and that could be very useful in defeating him. In this realm, I believe that our perception is key. We may be able to take power here, power that could be used to our advantage."

"Alright. But I'm going to keep looking for something a little more tangible to defend us with. You stay put and yell if you're about to have your soul sucked out or something."

"Eloquent as always, human. It's a wonder that you are a part of your nation's fighting forces and not a scholar."

"Coming from a guy that eats worms..." Greene muttered under his breath.

"What was that?"

"Well if you say so. Get on with it, then."

"As you wish, human. The book is better company anyway."

"Just start reading already."

The human pilot climbed over a stack of books and ventured onward.

"For my world, I will do far more than read..."

Phalanx opened the book's crested cover.










Chapter Thirty-Four: Black Sun, Red Moon -Part VI- Dread Intentions








The floor now ascended rapidly around the Caprastian ram, now disguised as a royal guard, and the little blue alicorn beside him craned her head around in youthful amusement at the sight of it all.

"You say the one I search for is in these catacombs. What exactly is this place?" Vance inquired to the little alicorn filly.

"Mommy and Daddy think this is a secret, but I know they send the really bad ponies down here," Lulu answered. "Really bad ponies..."

Vance cringed in anger at the thought of his love being locked away with the worst of Eclipstria's criminals and lunatics, but the feeling washed away as he knew she would not be here much longer.

The circular platform descended into a vast, dark chamber. Several rows and columns of suspended cages and cells hung in the intentionally hopeless looking void. "There must be thousands here," Vance thought to himself. "So many of their own citizens, rotting away in these forsaken depths."

Pegasus prisoners had their wings clipped and shackled within their cages. Unicorns had been relieved of their horns and wore locked braces around their heads to keep a new one from growing. Earth ponies arguably had it the worst, almost completely chained up to prevent them from using their awesome strength to bend the bars of their cages. In addition to all of this, all of the cells and cages were suspended over the seemingly endless emptiness below, to make sure escape was almost completely impossible.

Vance bowed his head. "These are the royal Eclipstrian dungeons. I had prayed that such a place as terrible as this could only exist in legend." He turned to Lulu. "Why do you come here, child? How can you see such misery and despair and still retain youthful innocence? Why do you surround yourself with these tragically ruined souls?"

"Because they need a friend," the alicorn filly spoke, still somewhat cheerful.

The two descended in silence, watching the walls of grey slowly rise past them. Vance stared downward, looking for the eventual cavern floor, but like the hopes of those imprisoned here, the bottom of the abyss never came. Instead, the platform simply stopped at one of the dungeon levels, as if it knew who the visitors were coming to see.

Vance searched the darkness. A few moments later, he came to a disturbing realization. "There are no guards," he muttered to himself. After all, there was no escape, and why would any free soul ever wish to witness this place? In the dim light from above, Vance could make out large carved letters in the stone wall above, which read: "Hall of Apostasy, Traitors to the Crown." Beneath it, a much smaller inscription: "Woe are those that betray our pure purpose. Only the truly vile forsake the great vision of the Royals."

Now unwilling to wait for Lulu to guide him, Vance desperately wanted to call out to his love. Lulu slowly made her way over, her own nature allowing her to see in the diminished light.

"This way," she spoke quietly. The little blue alicorn filly led a heartbroken Vance past the horrors of the dungeon level. As they made their way through the darkness, several voices cried out from the various cells around them.

"Please... help me... My debt is paid...! Please...! Release us..."

Lulu reached for a small bag of treats she'd stolen from the royal kitchens, and passed them out as they trotted along.

"We must hurry," Lulu spoke up. "Somepony will be along soon to feed them their regular rations."

They quickly made there way to a small cage near the back of the cell level, where a broken form loosely resembling an earth pony and covered in small patches of singed fur lay disheveled off in a corner,. The sight nearly brought the hardened Caprastian to his knees.

"No... Apple Flower!? What horrors have these soulless monsters wrought!? My love, can you hear me!?" He reached through the bars just to touch the fur of the one he'd searched for so long. There was no answer, and the mare continued to lie motionless. Vance quickly turned back to little Lulu.

"Tell me how to release her! Now!"

The little filly stumbled backward, completely taken by surprise by the desperate display.

"I- I- I do not know how!" She whimpered. "Mommy and Daddy put them- her, here. We can not let her go!"

"I don't care! Look at her! What could she have done to possible deserve this!? Listen to me, you are a princess! Surely you know a way to safely get her out of this hellish pit!"

"But- But we will get into trouble if we let here go!"

"Please! I beg of you, young one! Please release her!"

"You- You know her? She is a friend? Is she part of your family?"

"She is all I want from this world, the only thing." He bowed his head in sorrow. "Please."

Lulu sighed. "I could talk to Mommy and Daddy. I could take you to them. You can ask them to-"

"No! I- I cannot do that. We must release her now, before anyone knows what is happening here."

"But why?"

"I don't have time to explain this! You said yourself that the feeders will be coming soon!"

"Yes, yes. Well- we- I- You are a unicorn! Can you not simply break the bars with your magic!?"

Vance froze.

"I- I am not strong enough. You must do it."

"Me? But my sister still makes fun of me for not being able to lift my books!"

The sum of Vance's despair hung on his face. "You must try. I beg of you, young princess."

The young filly blinked, then turned to the cage where the earth pony mare still did not stir. She planted her feet and a look of deep concentration began to crawl across her face. A dim dark-blue light began to coalesce over two of the bars of the cage. The sound of heavy metal being stressed could just barely be heard, but the bars refused to budge.

Lulu fell back to her rump and panted. "I-I cannot do this."

"No, no, no. There is no other way! Try it again!" Vance commanded.

Once again, the bars of Apple Flower's cage would not give in, and once again the little alicorn filly fell back, defeated.

"Listen to me," Vance began. "I've seen what your kind is capable of. I am certain you can do this. You said your sister made fun of you for your weakness. Take this time to show your strength. Focus on her words, her insults! Prove her wrong, and save an innocent life!"

The little alicorn growled in righteous anger. An new light illuminated the cavern, the freezing light of Lulu's white, pupil-less eyes. Her horn began to flash like lightning and the bars began to twist under the unnatural force.

"Yes! Yes! Don't give up now!" Vance yelled over the groan of torquing metal. He galloped up to the cage and began to pull on the bars, adding Lulu's strength to his own. The aura surrounded the Caprastian ram, and the cage began to violently flex under their renewed strength. Summoning all the might they could, the two slowly pried the bars asunder. The cage ripped apart, and Vance immediately rushed to his lover's side.

"I know you can hear me, Apple Flower! Please! Awaken so that I might know you are still whole!"

He gently moved her head back in forth to stir her, and slowly her eyes began to flutter open. She uttered one word:

"Va-n-ce."

She closed her eyes and lay still again.

"She needs care! We must get her to a practitioner of medicine!"

Lulu did not answer, her eyes still glowing white.

"Do you hear my words, young princess?"

Again, Lulu did not answer.

Vance placed the love of his life onto his back and slowly began to make his way back to the lowering platform in the center of the cavern. Lulu did not move a single muscle in response. Vance labored under the weight of the armor and the frail, but still quite heavy earth pony, and just as he was about to reach the platform, two shadowy figures dropped from the sky, stopping him in his tracks.

The two figures stepped into the light, and revealed themselves to be a pair of pegasus royal guards. "You there! Halt! Stay where you are or face destruction!" They drew their spears. "Who are you and what are you doing here?!"

Vance froze once more.

"The princesses ordered me here to check on a special prisoner, one they have great interest in. She is ill, and must be attended to if she is to give us anymore needed information about our enemy."

"Foalish outsider scum! We know what you are! We found several missing guards lying in various states of injury, hidden about the castle! They revealed the presence of a spy!"

"I know not what you are talking about. I am only doing my duty."

"Liar! Did you really think you could enter the most secret of chambers in this castle and escape notice? You left a gaping hole in the floor of the castle atrium! Now, put down that prisoner and prepare to be detained!"

Caught with no other option than to do what they said, Vance put Apple Flower back down on the cell floor and reluctantly made a gesture of surrender.

The guards approached the ram, keeping their spears trained on his neck. "You are under arrest for crimes against the crown! You will likely spend a very long time in this very prison!"

Lulu's eyes began to glow much brighter now, a dark scowl slowly crawling across her face.

As the guards moved to take the Caprastian infiltrator into custody, two great pulses of magical energy arced around Vance's body and enveloped the two guards. They both rose into the air, as if suspended by a mighty tornado.

"What- what is this sorcery! What are you, fiend!?" One of the guards demanded, tumbling through the air.

Vance shook his head. "This is not of my doing..."

The guards screamed in agony and confusion, then disappeared in a bright flash of light.

Vance turned to see Lulu now standing right behind him, eyes still alight, though he had not heard her move a hoof.

"Whatever you just did, it bought us some time! If you can hear me, more will be coming! We must make our escape quickly!"

Lulu said nothing, but her horn glowed again, this time encompassing both the ram, the earth pony mare, and herself in its light. After a few seconds of seeing nothing by a white expanse, Vance suddenly found himself outside the castle walls, Apple Flower at his hooves, and the princess still silent.

"I- Thank you, princess, but I must now leave. I am... sorry about all of this. I only ask now that you tell no one of what transpired here."

She did not answer.

Vance could hear the commotion in the castle growing. He picked up the still unconscious Apple Flower and placed her on his back. Guards could be heard yelling from behind the walls. He looked down at the little blue alicorn one last time. "Farewell, princess. I hope you will not pay for what I have done."

Vance galloped into the forests surrounding Castle Everfree and faded from sight from those that might follow him.

Lulu's eyes dimmed back to their normal color. She shook her head and put a hoof to her face.

A guard galloped up to her and quickly scooped her up. "Princess! Princess! Thank the crown we found you! There is trouble in the castle and the king and queen have been worried sick! What were you doing out here!?"

Lulu rubbed her eyes and looked around in confusion.

"Hmm. I do not know."












********************













"You see? He did exactly what I said he'd do. He'd chase that mare if she was locked in the center of a hurricane made of burning sulfur! I mean he just keeps going, and going, and going..."

A adolescent Discord turned away from a glowing orb that contained an image of a fleeing Vance, galloping through the forest. The young draconequus looked over to King Zeccor, of the Zebranni Consortium and hiked up his eyebrows.

"Now was I right, or was I right?"

"Yes, I suppose it is all rather inspiring. Now tell me what this has to do with stopping the king and queen of Eclipstria from having complete dominion over the Earth."

"Oh I'd much rather show you. It's much more dramatic that way. You want to eat this bag of salted and burst seeds whilst we watch? I got it at the most fascinating village filled with these intelligent red lizards-"

"Discord, if you please, just show me what I want to know."

"Very well, but I'm telling you, this stuff will catch on."











*****************











"I don't want to hear your excuses! Someone, anyone, just tell me! Will she be okay!?"

A Caprastian medicine ram shook his head in exhaustion, then turned to a very angry Vance. "I don't know! She appears to have had been malnourished for weeks! I am not familiar with the Eclipstrian body! I just can't know for certain whether she will come out of this!"

The desperate Caprastian warrior stared down at the wilted form of his one true love.

"I am sorry. I just- I just can't bear the thought of this being her end. Help her in whatever way you can, and I will do the same." Vance turned to leave the sick house.

"Where are you going?" the medicine ram inquired.

Vance stopped, but didn't turn to face him. "The Eclipstrians... they claim dominion over whatever they lay eyes on and treat their own people like dogs. It is despicable! I would see them wiped from the face of this Earth! We have tolerated their taint long enough!"

"So what, now you're going to bring them down all by your lonesome?"

"No. I'm going to speak to the only being that can end this. I will have an audience with Lord Hircus! I must convince him to pour all of our resources into the war."

"Our lord and master is far wiser than you, soldier. If he is reluctant to engage in full scale war, there must be a reason."

Vance snorted. "Perhaps he is frightened."

The medicine ram quickly placed an hoof over Vance's mouth. "Such insolence as this could get you killed! I advise you not to go down this path."

"I will do what I must to protect that which I hold dear; I suggest you do the same." With that, Vance turned and trotted away.











**********************











The King and Queen of Eclipstria stood at the royal balcony at Castle Everfree, ready to address the already growing crowed forming below.

The king spoke first.

"Citizens of our glorious kingdom, you may have heard rumors that our homeland is under attack, that there are infiltrators within our ranks, and that this nation is teetering on the brink of destruction. Please, pay no mind to these baseless lies. They are nothing but fictitious propaganda to turn you against the crown, and are being spread by unscrupulous scoundrels and cowards that have qualms with the royal house. They have no merit, nor is there any cause for concern."

"Furthermore," the queen began, "It is most important, now more than ever, that we stand united against both the threat of the outsiders and sympathizers for them, if our society is to stay the perfect emblem of peace and justice that it now is."

"Yes, your king and queen come today to ask you to pledge yourselves to betterment of all ponies, so that we might claim the birthright we so rightly deserve. Come, join us as we bring in a whole new epoch of Eclipstrian prosperity!"

Cheers and chanting broke out from crowd, as the gathered citizens joined in in shouting patriotically.

"For the Kingdom!"

"Long live the crown!"

"Eclipstria forever!"



The king and queen both gave regal and dainty waves to the crowd, then reentered the caste.

"My dear," the queen turned to the king, "I fear things have gotten out of hoof. I believe the recent attack on the castle is a message of some sort."

"Yes," the king nodded. "If the outsiders so easily slipped past our sight, then they represent a much greater threat than we imagined. We must send the children out with their caretaker. I do not wish for them to witness which must now occur."

"My dear Soltaire, perhaps it would be wise to keep the family together... to stand strong in this time of trial."

"I would think not. What good would the four of us being in one place serve?"

"Five of us, my husband."

"Noctau..."

"Yes, my king. I am with child."

The king stepped back in barely contained shock, then performed a classic visual inspection of his wife, looking down, then back up again. "I do not see evidence of this... Tell me, how do you know this is true?"

"The castle midwives have confirmed this just today, and I feel the physical changes as well. My powers are beginning to diminish, my husband. This is not the time to appear weak to our enemies."

The king sighed. "Yes. This is true. We will build fortifications here then. This will be more than our castle, it will be our stronghold, an impenetrable fortress where we may live with our children in peace."

"Yes, my dear king..."

The queen looked out toward the teeming mass of ponies minding their business outside the castle.

"...in peace."













*********************














Vance made his way towards a massive towering structure in the hills of the Caprastian capital city of Vertaigh. Passing through a set of immense metal gates, the opulence of the fortress he now entered would have overwhelmed him had his mission not borne such weight. Several honor guards saluted as he passed. After quite a trot through the large complex, the young ram laid eyes on what could only be the entry to a chamber of one who thought very highly of himself.

Vance nodded as the final set of honor guards made way and pushed open the large chamber doors, the doors of the hall of the great Lord Hircus. With a last surge of gusto, he confidently trotted inside. The guards eyed him carefully, but did not attempt to stop him.

"I come with... private matters," Vance quickly spoke up.

A shadowy figure on a high throne motioned for the guards to leave the room, who then closed the doors behind them with a resounding bang.

His voice was low and unnervingly powerful, the voice of an emperor. "Agent. You have returned to me. I assumed then that your mission is complete?"

"Yes, and none know of my status as your personal scout. No one save your personal guard. I have infiltrated Eclipstrian territory as per your orders, and have learned much-"

"Have you found their power source yet?"

"No, my lord, but there is more to it that that. The Eclipstrians are a very real threat. We should waste no more of our time toying with them on the front lines. We should immediately strike at their heart, their capital of Everfre-"

"No. That is unwise. I would think that out of all my servants, you would see that the most."

"Yes, perhaps before I saw it for myself, I would have. Their aristocracy swims in wealth and decadence. They truly do not believe they can be harmed or even touched. Even worse, they have somehow convinced their impoverished peasant population that this is a just arrangement! My lord, we wield a power they have never seen! I beg of you to cease throwing our warriors' lives away on the battlefields and destroy these despots and sycophants before they can make one single move more against us!"

The shadowy figure appeared to tilt his head upward in interest. "What has befallen you, agent? What trial in our nemeses' midst has so quickly turned your steady mind to such an audacious plan?"

"I have made a grievous error, my lord. I became too... close to my mission."

"So it is love that have made you so bold? I assume with a beauteous female of their kind?"

"My lord, I... You knew. How did you learn of this?"

"There are those which see many great things. I am in league with powerful allies. One thing I do know of, is that you, Vance of Certeux, have made the mistake of fraternizing with our enemy."

"I- I apologize, my lord."

"So you do. You may yet regain my favor, but for now you require an intermission from your duties. I will consider your suggestions, but I shall not tolerate such blatant disrespect for your position again. Go. Now."

Vance bowed his head. "Y- yes, my lord." He sorrowfully turned and slowly exited the chamber.

"He's right, you know..." a voice rung out through the chamber. "The Eclipstrians are monsters. And that's coming from me..."

"You again. Why do you bother me? I have done as you suggested."

"Just checking up on my favorite overlord. How did he take the news?

He is.. distraught to say the least. Are you sure this was wise? Not informing him of their plans?"

"Eh, it'll work out better this way. Trust me."
.

"Hmph. I will go along with this little plan of yours, for now, anyway... Now begone. I require time to ponder on this turn of events."

"Sure, sure. I have other matters to attend to anyway. Gotta stay busy ya know," the voice chuckled. "Keeps ya out of trouble..."











**********************











Phalanx quickly closed the book as he heard steps approaching his position. He immediately felt as if he had actually witnessed the events he'd just read about, and was keenly aware of how little he had watched out for danger around him. As if waking from a dream, he quick snapped back to reality and prepared to take flight if necessary to evade his approaching foe.

"You still here, Big Bird?" Captain Lenard Greene climbed back into the secluded section of Hircus's extended library.

"Captain. You should announce your presence more often."

"So sorry. Did I scare you?"

"No. And if you ever speak to me as a familiar again, I will-"

"Cool it for a sec. I've got something to show you."

The pilot lead the griffin praetor into a strange large room, with many glowing orbs filled with various images of people and places. There was no sound, but the images were extremely precise in appearance.

"I found this a few minutes ago. There are pictures of all sorts of things, from my world to yours. Any idea what any of this is?"

The praetor quickly scanned the room with his acutely discerning eyes. "I have always wondered... But this is how he actually does it. Hircus would always alluded to knowing of the affairs of what he called the world beyond Sapphiron. This is where he has watched both our worlds for centuries, and where I assume he leads attacks from. But to answer your question, these are vision spheres I believe, created by an ancient extinct race known as the Zebranni. They allow the user to see distant places and events."

"Wait. Zebranni... Extinct race... you mean like her over there?" Lenard pointed at a hooded zebra shown in one of the spheres, talking to a human soldier.

"A living Zebranni... I did not think that possible. Then again, this has been a day of realized impossibilities."

"Yeah. I met her, by the way. Her name was... Z... Well it started with a 'z' I know that much. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her, but she always spoke in rhymes. It was kinda creepy, actually. Any idea why this sphere thing is watching her?"

Phalanx nodded, then began to examine the many spheres. "Hmm... These orbs are focused on what appear to be targets of interest. I see the princesses of Equestria, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, many leaders of my own kind..."

Lenard looked up. "I see a lot of my world's leaders here too, the president, military generals, ambassadors, and several others. None of this can lead to anything good. Wait." He pointed to one of the glowing orbs. "This one's moving, and that looks like... Lime Tree?"

"Why would Hircus be so focused on your flora?"

"No, no, no. Lime Tree Hill, he's an Equestrian friend of mine. Why would Hircus be interested in him? And why does he look so sick?"

"I suppose it is just another question to be answered at some later date. For now, we must take a few of these orbs and leave, we might be able to use them against Hircus."

"Right. This would be a great place for Hircus to locate us. Why not level the playing field a bit."

"Indeed"

"Hey Phalanx."

"Yes, human?"

"You ever get the feeling the only reason either of us is alive is because Hircus wants us that way?"

The griffin shifted his brow. "I am unsure of what you mean."

"It's been too easy. It's like he's letting us find this stuff. The library, the book, this room, the orbs... I mean this is his world, right? How hasn't he found us yet?"

Phalanx sighed, then shuffled the book in his arms.

"More questions."














Anomalous Energy Event Team General Fact-File entry #624 The Equestrian Military.


Centuries of almost complete military supremacy on their side of Earth has made Equestrian weapons and technology seem rather quaint or even archaic by most standards, even by others of their world. The truth, however, appears to be far more fascinating. It seems that a combination of a heavy dependance on magetic energy (or magic) and several large gaps of history almost devoid of war has made the strength of Equestrian military might rather lacking. That being said, rumors of the so called "Equestrian Utopia" have been vastly exaggerated, and crime and rebellion are a very real threat that many Equestrians would rather pretend didn't exist. This, and random attacks from their world's various beasts keep the military prepared, though not necessarily for an coordinated attack from another military force. In short, the Equestrians have been the major power on their world, and for many, another world power isn't even conceivable.

Standard Equestrian battle tactics make use of the variety of talents that operatives may posses. Pegasai of the PegaForce are often used in aerial reconnaissance or attack roles. Earth ponies of the Earthfantry are typically employed as front line shock troopers or heavy weapons specialists, and make up the backbone and majority of the military force. Unicorns of the rather exclusive Unicorps can be involved virtually anywhere in the Equestrian military, from support roles, infiltrator agencies, or special roles that include using raw magetic energy itself as a weapon. However, they appear to be the most rare.

Unfortunately, members of the military as well as the civilian population can suffer from an something typically know as the "Grass Is Greener" effect, wishing themselves to be a member of another race of the Equestrian species for what they perceive to be better benefits. It is not unheard of for Earth ponies to envy the flight capabilities of pegasai, or pegasai to envy the wild magetic powers of a unicorn, or for a unicorn to envy the awesome strength and sense of security that comes naturally to an Earth pony. Because of this, roles considered fit for a specific race are almost always challenged by members of the other races, and although this can create quite a bit of friction between the pony factions, it has also lead to some of the greatest innovations in Equestrian history. It is said that the legendary EDF-3 "Equestria Bow" was developed by the Earthfantry shortly after a unicorn suggested that Earth ponies could not be effective ranged combatants.

In closing, the Equestrian people could be said to have much to learn about "modern warfare," but they also bring a very unique edge to the table in terms of their deceptively simple weapons, technology, and magetic abilities, all of which are far more effective than most would assume. It will be interesting to see how they utilize these assets in the field.








Author's Notes (Continued)


Hey there, Lynolius here. In commemoration of the work on this latest chapter, I'd like to propose a interesting comment challenge. Now I know you're thinking, "Hey, Lyno, why didn't you use the Author's note section?" Easy, because I know most of you sycophants wouldn't read it. (Can you tell that I love the word sycophant?) Anyhow, I'd like to see exactly what you, the readers feel when you read the story. To that end, here's the idea. If Heroes and Allies was a movie, what would you choose as its theme music? Realizing that the music of Two Steps From Hell would account for at least seventy-three percent of your answers, I'd like to hear one potential theme from TSFH, and one theme that isn't. This is just for fun, nothing more, just to hear what awesome music you guys suggest. In the meantime, back to writing...

PreviousChapters Next