• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 3,965 Views, 157 Comments

A Nightmare Before The Night [CYOA] - Selbi



This is an Interactive Story! It is the day of Nightmare Night. Everypony is busy with something to make sure the festival is going to be great. Except Twilight. Her job was finished days ago, but now she messed up. Help her save the night!

  • ...
3
 157
 3,965

Chapter 17

Chapter 17

This was it. Twilight knew she was one step away from finding her way out of this living nightmare. One step, separated by dozens upon dozens of vivid and colorful packages. Some of them had abstract patterns such as big dots or stripes on them, others, bigger ones—the main prizes probably—fully colored jack-o-lanterns.

It was beauty she was about to destroy with her bare hooves, ruining the work of what probably costed hours, if not days.

Twilight softly closed her eyes, and let out a slow, accepting sigh. “Rarity…” she started, “I… don’t know how to say this, but I think you’re right. I will buy all your packages.”

She opened up her saddlebag for what was hopefully the final time of the day, lifted out whatever remaining thing that looked valuable was stored in it, and put it onto a nearby counter—away from the packages so she wouldn’t risk letting it all fall down to the floor due to the magic nullifying spells.

“Here, this is everything I have on me. If it’s not enough, I will promise to get you more later tonight. Pinkie promise.” On the counter lay just a pocket-money amount of under twenty bits, three unused and two used quills, a half-empty glass of ink, the latest edition of How-to: Correctly install a new lampshade, and five paperclips.

Twilight waited for a sign, anything, that would give her a hint about what Rarity would say to her offer. Instead, the dressmaker just focused her eyes onto the pile of currencies and valuables.

“Rarity, say something! Please!” Twilight asked, eyes pleading at Rarity. “Is it not enough? Can I go ahead and try my luck with however many packages this covers?”

“You don’t have to, Twilight.” Rarity’s mouth slowly started to lift upwards and formed a thankful smile. Twilight just kept on looking pleadingly at her friend.

Rarity walked to the pile, and started inspecting the countless boxes laying there in a mess. Her head was leaned forward, looking at each and every box for a full second before moving on to the next. It was a painfully slow procedure, stressing Twilight’s patience with every checked gift.

Then, in a moment of excitement that almost made her feel like she was about to explode, Rarity said it. “Here is the key.” She lifted a light-blue present with a perfectly tied, white ribbon on it, and held it towards the librarian. A sheepish smile formed on her face. “The ‘buying’ part was a trick, I must admit. I simply can’t refuse generosity, for a good cause, even if it’s… slightly forced.”

Twilight’s mouth was unable to produce any words. She just nodded, and took the box.

“Oh, you shouldn’t open it yet,” said Rarity, putting a hoof on Twilight’s ones to stop her, as she was about to begin unpacking the present. “Opal is around. I’m not sure if she will be attracted by that glassy object. You should go home and unpack it there.”

Twilight nodded once more. “I understand. Thank you, Rarity. You’re really saving my flank here.”


For the first time that day, it felt like Twilight wasn’t running. Her legs carried her over the ground in a rhythmic and steadied manner. The ponies which looked at her like she was crazy earlier that day, were now doing the opposite, rubbing her eyes as though they didn’t believe what images they sent to their brains.

Twilight’s smile grew even wider as her house started to emerge from the distance, her lower eyelids pulling up to further show the ponies around her that, indeed, everything was certainly fine.

You deserve the biggest gemstone I can find for that, Spike!


Entering her house, Twilight’s ears picked up a wave a painful groans. Knowing exactly where it came from, and why, she walked upwards to her room.

Spike was in his bed, laying on his side and holding his arms over his belly. He noticed his boss entering the room with a vicious grin plastered on her face. “Too much ice cream?”

The dragon groaned. “Keep your remarks to yourself. You know exactly what happened.” He pointed to Twilight with his non-occupied arm. “Don’t you ever do that again to me! My fire breath is for mailing with Celestia, not burping out half a ton of Nightmare Night decorations all over a tree!”

Twilight sheepishly rolled her eyes in a self-lecturing manner, but decided to leave the topic at that.

She put away her empty saddle bag and carefully put the present onto her bed, enjoying the moment for every second she could spend, closing her eyes and slowly inhaling the smell of paper as though it was incense before a ritual.

Then, she carefully untied the ribbon and the wrapping paper. What remained was a plain, brown box. Taking another deep breath, she risked opening the box.

And there it was: the indestructible, spell-nullifying, made-of-diamonds key.

Indeed, the key was just a big, transparent slab of diamond. It didn’t have any fancy engravings on it, or anything eye-catching at all for that matter. The only thing that made its shape different to a regular were tiny dark spots on the shaft that were aligned in two perfect lines.

Whatever composure Twilight had during the ceremonial unpacking moment was instantly destroyed as she fetched the key out of the box and sprinted to the safe, barely avoiding to slip.

Sliding the key in sent off a barely audible clicking noise—one that was still music to Twilight’s ears nonetheless. A soft blue glow could be seen radiating through the keyhole, followed by what sounded like large metal bars screeching out of their own holes. Then the door jumped open.



Turn to Chapter 40!