• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 3,958 Views, 157 Comments

A Nightmare Before The Night [CYOA] - Selbi



This is an Interactive Story! It is the day of Nightmare Night. Everypony is busy with something to make sure the festival is going to be great. Except Twilight. Her job was finished days ago, but now she messed up. Help her save the night!

  • ...
3
 157
 3,958

Chapter 42

Wait, what? Did you really just click on the last chapter like that? I thought I made it perfectly clear in the beginning that the end of the story is not the last chapter, but hidden in the middle somewhere. You will have to fight your way through it yourself.

Do you really need cheats to find the story’s end? It’s not that hard, really. What do you want me to do? Write an online article on some gaming blog? “Hey there guys, today I will show you my five hundred pages long tutorial on how to beat ‘A Nightmare Before The Night’!” Is that what you want? Are you really that desperate?

Of course, if you’re here just because you wanted to mark the remaining chapters as read once you were done with the main storyline, no worries.

For everyone else:

Comments ( 24 )

Fourth time is a charm.

Every f***ing wrong choice!
I better go and fetch my helmet, since I apparently have the worst luck ever today.

After 8 tries, I got the answer. I am just here to see what would have been. :twilightsmile:

3426545
Oh wow, I didn't notice I kept that in. Thanks for pointing it out!

My only suggestion is:
you could have made more dead ends and use other chapters instead of repeating the option of chapter 35 and 16 together so many times. (Even a blind bat would figure them out eventually.):twilightoops:
Also chapter 25 was inconsistent with both time frame and events.

Other than that it was awesome.

~Leonzilla

3426624 Did you ever think that we read every chapter and went here to see if we missed anything?

3429393
Of course I did. In fact, that's what I'm hoping people will do, as it'd be a shame to let work go to waste people won't bother checking out.

That gold thing was just a leftover from an early draft.

That was pretty fun! ^_^ Weird :rainbowderp:, but fun :3

Nothing to do right now. Random comment reply time!

3426557
As I've said on the final chapter, this was more of an experiment if anything. Writing a full-sized 400 chapter story just wouldn't have been worth it.

3426772
I suddenly want to try weird food. Like, hazelnuts with Chines sweet and sour sauce...

3426881
There's nothing stopping you!

3427188
You "think" you read all chapters?

3427753
As I said, there's nothing stopping you from checking out the rest.

3430783
I have a few ideas for more, but those will have to wait. For this story I had the advantage of having another book I could use as reference guide. Future once would need 100% planning and execution on my part, so that will probably take more time to plan ahead. (And yes, I'm pretty male.)

3431142
Why was it weird? I'm not accusing you, but I would like to know why you found it weird, just so I can know better for my next story. I'm still learning.

3426781
Reusing chapters was inevitable. Otherwise this story would be twice as big and would've taken forever to release. Also, since Chapter 28 is reused so many times anyway, I didn't think reusing some other chapters leading there would do much harm.

And what is that about Chapter 25? I read through it myself once more just now as you mentioned it, but I can't see what's wrong.

3431221
Oh nothing bad, I was just referring to the off the wall results of most of the alternate branches. :3

3431221
yea I know that message about my experience with a longer story was addressed to your readers whom I imagine might never have read this type of story.

I really enjoyed this story.

The reuse of chapters was actually in my opinion a cleaver move it made the whole work more dense and warped, is just that when you make those two last choices sound exactly the same as the other chapters the readers realizes quicker that they should that the chapter was a dead end. Is just something that you could have done to make the game a little more challenging and besides the dead chapters could have being as short as 25 words; if the reader knew that it was over as soon as they read the first line, there is no need to overwork yourself.:twilightblush:

The thing with chapter 25 (that it's not really a big deal but it is unique of that chapter) Is that if the events would have taken its predicted course of actions without twilight involvement; Rarity would have given the key to Applejack, not Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo. Or vice-versa depending on who arrived first. If Applejack had needed a loan and could find twilight she would have just asked Rarity without wasting time. With the trail of event that you have made Twilight should arrive to chapter 22 after 25 showing that by chapter 22 Rarity still had the key. That's why chapter 25 is out of place If Rarity had already given the key to the crusaders she couldn't have lend the key to Applejack.
make sense?:duck:

~Leonzilla

Well I will admit I failed twice, though I believe that is more do to the response I picked not being as it should have, I did manage to succeed on my third try. I was checking every single possible choice as I read the story however, so by the time I made it to the good ending there was only one chapter unread, this one. Great story, not because it was fantastically written but because it's the first of its kind I've run into in fanfaction, although considering the amount of thought that goes into these things I am very impressed I would have liked it better if there had been more than one single path to take to reach the good ending but I still enjoyed myself. Great job I hope this trial run was successful and you write another one, even longer and more detailed than this one.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-aJyJB7kmXfU/UoZ8w_EbVoI/AAAAAAABmVU/wi_YaSr2LdE/s1600/rock_paper_scissors_by_ponykillerx-d6uamxf.gif

3555989
If you're really struggling, the walkthrough is in Chapter 39.

4363647
No, you must've overlooked something. There is an end. :raritywink:

4637727
Oh cool! People still acknowledge this story's existence! :yay:

If I may ask, what made you stumble upon this thing?

4650086
Once again, I'm surprised people still acknowledge this story's existence. Could you at least share what made you find this and check it out? :V

4652512
Ah, thanks for sharing. And for the praise, of course. :pinkiesmile:

Had to check the last chapter then it was preaty funny what i found, was wondering were else the story could posably take me XD

5221184
I think it's fair to assume you are the 100th person who liked this story, so thank you a lot for that. :twilightsmile:

Unfortunately I do not plan on writing a CYOA on this site ever again, for that very reason. The work-to-reward ratio is a joke at best, and I really don't have the motivation to work two weeks on something that will only get 100 likes after over a year. :fluttershysad:

I wondered if the last chapter might be something like this. I had to check, so... Here I am.

I've gone ahead and fixed the chapter links in the story. If anyone still finds faulty links that lead you back to the main story page, let me know!

10811091
You didn't have to comment 16 times to share your enthusiasm, but I'm glad this old story still gave you some enjoyment. :twilightsmile:

10812462
Gosh, how did I miss this :pinkiegasp:?

I am not done here yet :ajsmug:! I am set to get that key :rainbowdetermined2:!

* Determination.

File saved.

Login or register to comment